Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I really liked the Animorphs books, but I stopped reading them in 7th or 8th grade, ~1997. So, what happened? Did they kill all the brain slugs? Did Jake and Cassie get together?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

They stopped being able to turn into animals a long time ago, so now they just kind of shuffle around listlessly and are all obese

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

a hole-y ghost posted:

They stopped being able to turn into animals a long time ago, so now they just kind of shuffle around listlessly and are all obese

art imitates reality. incredible

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
Rachel dies

Tobias never scored

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I think they went the Voyager route where they defeated the Yeerks the hard way in an apocalyptic battle that ruined the earth but then did something with time travel so the Yeerks never existed or something.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

amusinginquiry posted:

Rachel dies

Tobias never scored

If I remember hawks can't gently caress like ducks can

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They gave the animorph power to a bunch of crippled/terminally ill kids in order to use them as cannon fodder in the final battle, from memory.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I still remember in one of the animorphs books one of them had animorphed into a gorilla and got eviscerated by a dracon beam and the book described in graphic detail the character's impression of their guts spilling out of the hole in their torso.

Animorphs books were intense.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
turned out the whole thing was all a convoluted metaphor for the Iraq war

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Main Paineframe posted:

turned out the whole thing was all a convoluted metaphor for the Iraq war

The Yeerks were the CIA :tinfoil:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I was trying to figure out when I exactly stopped reading the series and holy poo poo there were 8 Animorphs books published in 1997 and 11 in 1998.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Animorphs threads never fail to make me remember that shithead kid they left abandoned on an island in mouse morph.

hosed up, but also funny.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
one of them morphed into an animal incapable of having consensual sex but was never held accountable

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Shinjobi posted:

Animorphs threads never fail to make me remember that shithead kid they left abandoned on an island in mouse morph.

hosed up, but also funny.

I didn't read that book but I guarantee that kid deserved it.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Yeah that kid had first kidnapped jake and held him captive, acquired him and was morphing into him to steal jake's life because his home life was bad and he had an abusive dad.

Hamburger Sandwich
Nov 24, 2007
They all got PTSD. It was pretty hardcore for a young adult series

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
I remember one book was where one of the main characters got a slug so they tied him up in a cabin while the slug died. you thus got to see the inner experience of having a slug from the a viewpoint characters perspective. I really liked it at the time, I wonder if it's actually good.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

If you have archives there used to be an Animorphs thread with all the info you could ever need.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3830760

friendly 2 da void
Mar 23, 2018

Ocean Book posted:

I remember one book was where one of the main characters got a slug so they tied him up in a cabin while the slug died. you thus got to see the inner experience of having a slug from the a viewpoint characters perspective. I really liked it at the time, I wonder if it's actually good.

The teenage heroes literally starve an enemy to death over a three day period and it is narrated in gruesome detail. Animorphs was real af!

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
The one where they reprogram a dog robot so he can do violence and the result is basically the same as throwing all the bad guys who were in the room at that time into a blender.

Also if someone told me I couldn't use my t-rex morph anymore after I fought and killed a t-rex I'd loving sue.

Volcott fucked around with this message at 08:29 on May 3, 2018

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

I loving loved Animorphs :allears:

In one book someone tortured Tobias (hawk boy) and it was described in sickening detail. Also anything involving the Taxxons was super creepy. The ending was really dark.

If this franchise ever gets dredged up in a nostalgia-fueled reboot I would be all about it

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
They did updated versions of the first couple books with iphones but they didn't sell at all.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
I'll edit this out if it's :filez: but you can get pdfs of all the books right here. Found it on page one of a simple google search.

http://animorphsforum.com/ebooks/

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

The one where they put microchips in sharks.

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
The animorphs genocided an entire race of sweet sapient crab people

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Jake also suicide charges an eldritch horror at the end of the last book because he is extremely hosed up from like a decade of constant war

Papa Emeritus III
Jul 7, 2017

[A MESSAGE FROM THE CLERGY]

Dat's Pussy Trap, bitch!

Deal with it.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Totally forgot about this series. Was really into it when I was a kid. Something I occasionally think about is the alien guy would often comment how humans invent things backwards like the book before the computer. Wtf?

I liked the one guy who was permanently in animal form (I think it was an owl).

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Elminster got hit in the face with sex farts

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I own and have read every single one of these tomes, AMA.

There was a passage that stood out to me as a kid and I haven't forgotten it to this day. Just went to go look it up:

Book #22: The Threat posted:

<lt's David. He is a traitor.>

I was fully awake. Wide-awake and already mad. I grabbed some throw pillows and shoved them under the blankets. Hopefully they would look like me asleep if my mom came in to check on me.

I glanced at the clock. Late. Very late. So late it was early.

I quickly ran through a list of possible morphs. I had to be able to fly. And it was night. I focused my mind on the image of a great horned owl.

I began to change, even as I hammered Ax with questions.

"What happened?"

<Jake, Tobias, and I watched and waited outside Cassie's barn. As you know, Jake suspected David might have decided to turn against us.>

"That weasel! That slimy nyeeerrrrrff."

My tongue had shrunk rapidly in the middle of telling Ax what I thought about David. Probably for the best. Ax would have asked me to define the word I was about to use, and that wouldn't have been a good idea."

My impression was that she was about to call him the n word. Honestly after re-reading today I'm still not sure that isn't the case. Can't really think of any other words that start with n that Rachel wouldn't want to define to an alien.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

timp posted:

I own and have read every single one of these tomes, AMA.

There was a passage that stood out to me as a kid and I haven't forgotten it to this day. Just went to go look it up:

My impression was that she was about to call him the n word. Honestly after re-reading today I'm still not sure that isn't the case. Can't really think of any other words that start with n that Rachel wouldn't want to define to an alien.

Clearly the word was "narc"

But seriously I loved these books as a kid. They were some dark dark poo poo.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They gave the animorph power to a bunch of crippled/terminally ill kids in order to use them as cannon fodder in the final battle, from memory.

By the way, this isn't one of those fake posts that people pretend is real. This actually really did happen. Animorphs got really loving dark by the end.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Gologle posted:

By the way, this isn't one of those fake posts that people pretend is real. This actually really did happen. Animorphs got really loving dark by the end.

I'm just imagining the Burger King Kids Club being turned into suicide bombers.

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
Did the animorphs ever become taxxons, or was it just those andalites in the side story? I remember somebody morphing into one and losing themselves to the overwhelming, constant hunger that taxxons have

Taxxons are miserable creatures

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I never finished the series because I loved reading but I was too poor to spend whatever it was (like a fiver) on a book I could finish in an afternoon, ever though I really liked the series. There was really something cool to reading about how changing into animals would contextualize, their surroundings that was just so interesting and sci-fi, like when they made the mistake of turning into ants and all freaked out, or when they tried to fly across a road during a rain shower as bees.

It's always great to see how hilariously dark everything got in these threads. I wonder if it was just a side effect of something running for so long that the drama and stakes have to be upped constantly or if K.A Applegate was like "these kids think fighting aliens would be fun huh? I'll fuckin show them WAR!"

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The ants morph got nightmarish really really fast, poo poo I'm just now remembering it.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Shoehead posted:

K.A Applegate was like "these kids think fighting aliens would be fun huh? I'll fuckin show them WAR!"

It's this essentially. Applegate wrote an open letter to detractors of the finale that basically says "Oh you're not happy with how this ends? Well real war is a billion times worse. So keep those from happening."

It's actually a very very similar outlook that Yoko Taro- the creator of Drakengard- has regarding telling war stories. Caim (the protagonist of Drakengard) is a bloodthirsty warrior fighting some faceless empire who trades his ability to speak to form a bond with a dragon. The entire game basically portrays him as a bloodthirsty mute and everything he does acts a catalyst to drive the plot towards any of the super-crazy (and super-awesome) endings that are invariably dark and depressing. Yoko Taro said it didn't make sense for someone to be able to murder thousands of people and come out un-scarred or damaged in some way so instead he made a war game where you put together a party of all the worst times of people including a pedophile and a lady who eats children.

Edit: Hell for fun, Here's the endings

Your dragon lady friend is put into a state of permanent suffering to create a seal that prevents a dark force from listening to humanity's wish for death and coming down to consume everyone.

A child sacrifices himself during this aforementioned invasion (should you fail to create the seal) to permanently lock the part of the planet you are on (where the invasion is happening) in a stasis-like tower of time forever.

Your sister (who wants to gently caress you) dies and her body is put into a magical Mcguffin by one of the antagonists who is in love with her. She emerges from it as a gross human-harpy thing with bulgy eyes and a weird scream, impales the guy that put her in there on one of many whip-like projections from her body, and then flies into the air with a million more clones of her.

The seal breaks and a bunch of giant babies with teeth come down and eat everyone alive.

You fight a giant goddess in a giant music game and upon winning are transported to current day Tokyo where a pair of fighter jets take out you and your dragon and her corpse becomes impaled on Tokyo tower.

Twelve Batmans fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 4, 2018

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Gologle posted:

I half remember this, like a fever dream from distant childhood. If I'm remembering it right:

They gave the cripples the morphing ability a book or two before they were used as cannon fodder.

Then, in the last battle, they sent the "backup" Animorphs into battle because Jake & co. thought they would be more useful than human military forces.

The cripple Animorphs get butchered, and the army goes in anyway. Their deaths were 100% pointless.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Shoehead posted:

I never finished the series because I loved reading but I was too poor to spend whatever it was (like a fiver) on a book I could finish in an afternoon, ever though I really liked the series. There was really something cool to reading about how changing into animals would contextualize, their surroundings that was just so interesting and sci-fi, like when they made the mistake of turning into ants and all freaked out, or when they tried to fly across a road during a rain shower as bees.

It's always great to see how hilariously dark everything got in these threads. I wonder if it was just a side effect of something running for so long that the drama and stakes have to be upped constantly or if K.A Applegate was like "these kids think fighting aliens would be fun huh? I'll fuckin show them WAR!"

Yeah K.A. said she just had this huge library (lol the nineties) of animal behavior and anatomy books that she used. I really liked how each animal had their own lens through which they viewed the world, impulses, reactions, etc.

- Whenever they morphed into a dog, they had to force the dog brain to not stop for every interesting smell
- When Ax morphed into a human, he was overwhelmed by the sense of taste, seeing as how his race would just absorb nutrients from the ground
- They morphed into whales and discovered that there was sentience in their thought patterns

Also lol if you didn't just get on that Scholastic Monthly Book Club train and read the newest book a week before everyone else (same with Goosebumps)

Arc Light posted:

I half remember this, like a fever dream from distant childhood. If I'm remembering it right:

They gave the cripples the morphing ability a book or two before they were used as cannon fodder.

Then, in the last battle, they sent the "backup" Animorphs into battle because Jake & co. thought they would be more useful than human military forces.

The cripple Animorphs get butchered, and the army goes in anyway. Their deaths were 100% pointless.

I believe the thought process with that was that if they allowed a "cripple" to morph by acquiring animal DNA and then they morphed back into their human bodies, the ones with non-genetic conditions would essentially be healed as their original DNA restored their human bodies. So it wasn't just a one-sided deal; a lot of them were totally on board since it could potentially heal them and allow them to be free and move for a bit (I remember one of them being mute but then being super talkative via thought speak which was cool) And I mean, poo poo, who wouldn't want to be given the ability to morph into an animal? However it was sad when their little crew morphed back and a handful were cured while the rest went back to being lame.

And finally, thank you to K.A. Applegate for teaching me about catching thermals. Love to catch those little warm air pockets with my little glass boned bird wing arms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Wasn't the enemy just slugs that could possess people by crawling in their heads? Or was there other aliens things too?

• Locked thread