Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

https://ancientscars.wordpress.com/project-1-lost-trpg/ (English)
https://lostrpg-751c1.firebaseapp.com/lost/ (Japanese)

LOST is a free Japanese indie RPG created by Hibo and translated by me. The translation of the main rulebook is almost complete (I have 2 more brief sections to translate and then I just need to post the rest of it onto the blog) and I'm planning on running an English playtest as a PbP here as soon as I have that last little bit done.

However, I'd like to take the time now to do a little introduction and open up this thread for comments/suggestions. This is my first big translation project of this nature, and I know the project is far from looking very professional. I need to figure out some things with the formatting (right now all the tables are shown as images of tables because I couldn't figure out how to paste a table from Google Docs into the blog without it getting all munched up) and go back through and make sure all the language and brackets and things match up.

But, the actual core gameplay is there and I'd love to get some opinions on that as well. I'm in close contact with the original creator and I know they'd love to get feedback on ways to improve or expand the game. They've already put out a supplement for the game with a new setting and new classes, which I'll be translating as soon as this first project is done.

Anyway, let's look at the game itself.

Introduction

The adults have died out, leaving just the children behind. Japan is shrouded in deep forest. Strange, misshapen beasts prowl around as though the land now belongs to them. But, among all this, the children have chosen to live, to survive on their own. Our story begins 5 years after the fall of human society.

This is a game in which players take on the role of those who remained after the destruction of human culture in Japan. The player characters (PCs) brave the dangers of the deep woods in search of supplies they will need to continue their survival.

The Game
In LOST you play adventurers who start out at a central Camp. Like Darkest Dungeon, one of the main mechanics of the game is gathering resources to level up the facilities at your Camp, which in turn improves everyone's stats. Resource and time management are extremely important factors, so every adventure is a series of risk/reward gambles as you try to get as much done as you can without going beyond your limited resources.

Each adventure has a similar setup: there is a Field, which is the domain of a Boss. To get to the Boss, you have to navigate several Checkpoints, which have one or more Hazards. To clear Hazards you must complete certain skill challenges. Once you've cleared the Hazards and reached all the Checkpoints, the way to the Boss will open. Each adventure is given a number of Cycles to be completed in, with a Cycle consisting of one round of actions from each character in the party. In-universe, the time limit is meant to represent the limited resources like food and water your characters have to survive off of during their journey. However, even if you run out of Cycles without completing the adventure it's not game over; the Boss will just attack you early and you'll miss out on some end-of-adventure EXP points.

The Classes

When you create a character, you can choose 1 or 2 classes from the 12 listed here (there will be a few more in the expansion).

Big

The Big class is for characters with large bodies. They learn Abilities that utilize the powerful physique they are blessed with. One character cannot have both the Big and Small classes.

Small

The Small class is for characters with small bodies. They learn Abilities that utilize their nimble agility. One character cannot have both the Big and Small classes.

Adult

The Adult class is for characters who are over a certain age. They learn Abilities based on their life experience. A character must be 20 years old or over to have this class.

New Age

The New Age class is for characters whose bodies and capabilities were changed by the disaster 5 years ago. They learn supernatural Abilities. A character must be 10 years old or younger to have this class.

Wounded

The Wounded class is for characters who have a wound that won’t heal somewhere on their bodies. They learn Abilities based on the ways they compensate for their disadvantage to survive. Characters who choose this class start with damage to 1 Area. Change 1 body part Specialty in this Area to <Wound>. This <Wound> cannot be healed through any means.

Fighter

The Fighter class is for characters who specialize in combat. They learn Abilities that are essential when fighting.

Scout

The Scout class is for characters who specialize in reconnaissance and investigation. They learn Abilities that are beneficial during Exploration.

Hunter

The Hunter class is for characters who specialize in hunting. They learn Abilities related to ranged weapons and traps.

Professor

The Professor class is for characters who are knowledgeable about many things. They learn Abilities that utilize their expansive knowledge.

Worker

The Worker class is for characters who are good with their hands. They learn Abilities related to crafting.

Hope

The Hope class is for characters who bring hope to their comrades. They learn Abilities that allow them to change fate with the power of hope.

Mama

The Mama class is for characters who are caregiver figures to their comrades. They learn Abilities that allow them to vitalize those around them.

The System
LOST uses the Saikoro Fiction system, which is easier to explain if you're looking at the Specialties chart. Specialties are like Skills in other games; random stuff your character is good at (or exceptional physical traits):

All rolls in the game are 2D6, with the target difficulty being based on one of the Specialties listed here. For an example of how the system works, let's say your character comes to a stream and needs to swim across. The target Specialty for this would be Swim. If you were trained in the Swim Specialty, you would roll 2D6 against a base difficulty of 5 (all challenges are base 5 difficulty unless the GM decides there are factors that would make it easier/harder). However, if you did not have Swim, you would need to find the Specialty you have that is closest to Swim. For this example let's say your closest Specialty was Kick. If you count the number of spaces between Swim and Kick (including Kick itself as a space) you can see there are 2 spaces. The difficulty of the roll for your character would be 5+2 (the number of spaces between the Target Specialty and your closest Specialty).

However, you can't just pick your closest Specialty and roll, you would actually need to describe how your character uses that Specialty to clear the challenge instead of using the Target Specialty. In this case you might say 'Well, my character isn't good at swimming, but they can kick pretty hard so I guess they jump in the water and kick their legs powerfully to get across'. The difficulty of this rather awkward work-around would be reflected in the increased difficulty of the roll.

Now, there is an additional rule that (at the GM's discretion) a player can propose an alternative Target Specialty for a roll. For example, if the stream is rather narrow, the player might say 'Well I don't have Swim but I do have Jump, and if this thing is super narrow couldn't I just Jump across?' If the GM agrees, the player can change the Target Specialty to Jump and roll against a difficulty 5 (assuming they have the Jump Specialty).

Also the gaps between the different columns count as a single space.

Basically every check in the game is based on this system, aside from a few random table rolls that are used for things like loot drops and random events.

Anyway that's a basic rundown of the setting and system, though there's a lot more information of both on the blog. I'm hoping once this is finished I might be able to put together a much nicer-formatted PDF and get the word around. It's free and it's fun and I hope other folks enjoy playing it as much as I enjoyed translating it.

Expect to see a thread for the first English playtest popping up soon. I'm looking forward to taking this for a test-drive.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread