Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What's the best The Matrix film?
The Matrix
The Matrix Reloaded
The Matrix Revolutions
The Animatrix
Enter The Matrix for the Nintendo Gamecube
The Matrix Online
This is Morpheus. You are trapped in The Matrix. One of our operatives, Lowtax, will help you escape, but he must permaban you first to hide our communications from the Machines.
View Results

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
When was the last time you watched 1999's The Matrix? Probably not recently.

I watched the whole trilogy a few days ago and man, it loving rules (I mean the first one. Reloaded is just alright and Revolutions isn't good).

The lobby shootout is one of the best action scenes ever filmed. Bullet-time is loving cool. The effects even hold up pretty well. Sure, the Sentinels look a bit dated but the other effects still look great.

Man, what a great goddamn film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Dark City was better

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

1redflag posted:

Dark City was better

I agree but you're comparing very different kinds of movies. Dark City did a much better job of exploring the hosed up concepts the Matrix just kinda dabbles a little with, but that's not the point.
The original Matrix is a decent popcorn action flick with the "what if reality isn't real?" shtick just there as the excuse for cool wire fu. It gets really heavily downgraded by very lovely sequels tho.

Reloaded is a bad movie that only looks ok because Revolutions was so much worse. "It's gonna be a trilogy!" is a lovely excuse for just ending a movie mid-scene with "Uh well I guess our 2 hours is up, see you next year!"

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
Virtual Nightmare (2000), a made-for-TV movie that you can find on youtube these days, is also better in the same way Dark City was better, but more so.
It's not as visually impressive as either of the Matrix or Dark City, but it does a better exploration of the whole "not sure what reality is" premise.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7Shs6a-GI8

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its a good movie, op.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Remember when Neo went to the goth nightclub

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQtIearBLAE

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

They're making Bill & Ted 3.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

man nurse posted:

They're making Bill & Ted 3.

https://www.avclub.com/tag/bill-ted-face-the-music

what a great premise

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Keanu Reeves is honestly one of my favourite actors, I love him

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhvhmtUS128&hd=1

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Anytime I say or type "woah" I am actually quoting neo

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
I try to watch the trilogy every few years and rarely make it through. Im not really sure whats achually going on and whats the point.

Someone give a quick summary of the trilogy if possinle.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
the first one is a perfect Hero's Journey and the other two stumble along because, like, what's left to keep you interested once the main guy already found inner strength and free will

highway scene is still a great action scene tho

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
The Matrix: Neo learns that reality isn't what it seems, dies, comes back to life and kills Hugo Weaving
The Matrix Reloaded: Neo goes to a rave then learns that vampires, aliens and angels are rogue computer programs, Huge Weaving is back, the highway scene is pretty good, Neo has a bad dream about Trinity dying then she does then she doesn't then there's a cliffhanger
The Matrix Revolutions: Neo goes blind, Zion is attacked by the robot army, Trinity dies in a car crash, Neo lets the robots kill him to kill Hugo Weaving again, now there's peace and people can leave the Matrix

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I want a whole movie that's just the highway scene. It would be the perfect movie.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Fury road?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Whole series owned, haven't ever felt the need to rewatch it in over 10 years though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Everything after the first matrix sucks!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I love Keanu

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
I'm more of a johhny mnemonic guy

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Not gonna lie, this always bothered me a little because based on what we know about agents, he totally could have dodged that in the time it took for her to deliver her one liner.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

The Matrix is one of the most well-edited action movies ever

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

WampaLord posted:

Not gonna lie, this always bothered me a little because based on what we know about agents, he totally could have dodged that in the time it took for her to deliver her one liner.

It's actually slowed down for the viewer, she really says it in like a 20th of a second.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Pneub posted:

It's actually slowed down for the viewer, she really says it in like a 20th of a second.

dodgethis

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Doge this. Very agent. Wow. Much matrix.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I used to love the trilogy in high school but have no idea how well the sequels hold up nowadays, if at all. That's when I first learned what an awesome dude Keanu was because he bought motorcycles for the entire stunt crew after the sequels wrapped.

It's interesting how the Matrix movies kinda spearheaded the multimedia blitzkrieg that is now pernicious with superhero movies and stuff. You had all these interconnected stories that had continuity in The Animatrix, the sequels, and that PS2 game Enter the Matrix

Axyzed
Sep 24, 2016
Still one of the best movie trilogy's around even if they did drop the ball with some story telling in the last two imo. The Zion siege was pretty rad tho.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
I was more amused to find out that the male lead from Future War wound up in The Matrix Reloaded as an agent.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0076780/?ref_=tt_cl_t9

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OHfqnDsdHdA

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

i had never seen the sequels so i watched them this weekend. they're not without their flaws obviously (like reloaded is literally incomplete) but i wish that american blockbuster action movies could still be that ungainly and weird and ambitious instead of just bland limbs of a multibillion dollar marketing campaign

that said they probably should have edited them together into a 200-minute movie

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
I've enjoyed the trilogy since seeing them the first time, which was on disc so I wasn't bothered by how Reloaded ended as a minute later I'd be starting on Revolutions anyway.

I remember the CGI for the first big replicating Smiths fight looking dated, the Frenchman having a bit too many lines, a 'wat' response to the Architect's rambling monologue, and the scene of Smith taking out the Oracle as being hyped up with no end result to it that I can recall, but all of that still isn't enough to detract from the highway scene, the fight with the Oracle's guardian, and the Zion invasion.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
Watching The Matrix Part 1 in 4K UHD remastered on an OLED TV is an incredible experience. If you upgrade to an OLED or QLED 4K TV I absolutely recommend The Matrix 4K Blueray as a „Must buy“

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
You can save time on a rewatch of the trilogy by just watching revolutions and reloaded simultaneously

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
The MST3K episode Overdrawn at the Memory Bank felt a lot like a proto-Matrix movie with the bad special effects, low budget, and terrible technical jargon. You had a bored guy who somehow wound up inside the system, and then he eventually figured out how to disrupt it from within. Although you didn't need to be inserted 'doppled' into an animal to access Zion.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Artsygrrl posted:

The MST3K episode Overdrawn at the Memory Bank felt a lot like a proto-Matrix movie with the bad special effects, low budget, and terrible technical jargon. You had a bored guy who somehow wound up inside the system, and then he eventually figured out how to disrupt it from within. Although you didn't need to be inserted 'doppled' into an animal to access Zion.

I always thought it was more like Total Recall.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
Well, the chairman did look like Ronny Cox after stepping outside.

zjentohlauedy
Feb 27, 2006

Bad sportsmanship. A ruthless minority of people seem to have forgotten good old-fashioned virtues. They just can't stand seeing the other fellow w
What are the Matrix Rules anyway?

Rule 1. There is no spoon.
Rule 2. ???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Animatrix

:allears: