Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What's the best The Matrix film?
The Matrix
The Matrix Reloaded
The Matrix Revolutions
The Animatrix
Enter The Matrix for the Nintendo Gamecube
The Matrix Online
This is Morpheus. You are trapped in The Matrix. One of our operatives, Lowtax, will help you escape, but he must permaban you first to hide our communications from the Machines.
View Results

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
The MAtrix is a classic and Reloaded is fun enough. Revolutions sucks really bad. Thanks for reading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Not only is the matrix a very well edited and well paced action film with a solid premise, it's also an allegory for gender dysphoria and transitioning, which makes it even more awesome in my humble opinion

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Artsygrrl posted:

The MST3K episode Overdrawn at the Memory Bank felt a lot like a proto-Matrix movie with the bad special effects, low budget, and terrible technical jargon. You had a bored guy who somehow wound up inside the system, and then he eventually figured out how to disrupt it from within. Although you didn't need to be inserted 'doppled' into an animal to access Zion.

Classic movie.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Not only is the matrix a very well edited and well paced action film with a solid premise, it's also an allegory for gender dysphoria and transitioning, which makes it even more awesome in my humble opinion

This movie is an allegory for literally anything you want it to be because it has a vague story and you have to imagine deep subtext everywhere for it to not suck

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Its actually not any of this dumb poo poo tho

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Larry Parrish posted:

This movie is an allegory for literally anything you want it to be because it has a vague story and you have to imagine deep subtext everywhere for it to not suck

banned from Starbucks posted:

Its actually not any of this dumb poo poo tho

Victims of the cis patriarchy Matrix, smdh. If we assume the Matrix itself is a metaphor for a strictly gender-conforming social order, and recognize that the Wachowskis are now transitioned women and have seen themselves as women their whole lives, some specific elements from the film take on relevant meaning:

-Neo accepts a "trace program" in the form of, peculiarly, a pill, so that Morpheus and the others can find his real body. Many trans individuals take medication in the form of pills to begin the transitioning process.
-The character of Switch was originally cast as a woman in reality and as a man in the matrix, explained via dialogue as a "glitch," before studio meddling put a stop to it. The Wachowskis then intentionally cast an androgynous looking actor in the role. Her dying words, "Not like this," make a lot more sense with this specific context.
-Smith attempts to kill Neo by having a train run over them both, addressing him with "Goodbye, Mr. Anderson." Lana Wachowski shared an anecdote in an interview where she once stood on train tracks and almost let herself be hit by an oncoming train, before getting out of the way at the last moment because she believed she could learn to accept her true self. "My name... is Neo!"

There are other minor examples also, sprinkled throughout the film from beginning to end. To my knowledge, the Wachowskis never overtly confirmed the story is specifically about transgendered people, but they haven't denied the influence of their personal experience on elements in the film. And of course, the film can be read as a more general story of self-actualization and breaking free from systems of oppression. But I think it takes on a lot more interesting and powerful meaning this way.

The sequels are still trash though

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Larry Parrish posted:

Nah, it's really really obvious

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Victims of the cis patriarchy Matrix, smdh. If we assume the Matrix itself is a metaphor for a strictly gender-conforming social order, and recognize that the Wachowskis are now transitioned women and have seen themselves as women their whole lives, some specific elements from the film take on relevant meaning:

-Neo accepts a "trace program" in the form of, peculiarly, a pill, so that Morpheus and the others can find his real body. Many trans individuals take medication in the form of pills to begin the transitioning process.
-The character of Switch was originally cast as a woman in reality and as a man in the matrix, explained via dialogue as a "glitch," before studio meddling put a stop to it. The Wachowskis then intentionally cast an androgynous looking actor in the role. Her dying words, "Not like this," make a lot more sense with this specific context.
-Smith attempts to kill Neo by having a train run over them both, addressing him with "Goodbye, Mr. Anderson." Lana Wachowski shared an anecdote in an interview where she once stood on train tracks and almost let herself be hit by an oncoming train, before getting out of the way at the last moment because she believed she could learn to accept her true self. "My name... is Neo!"

There are other minor examples also, sprinkled throughout the film from beginning to end. To my knowledge, the Wachowskis never overtly confirmed the story is specifically about transgendered people, but they haven't denied the influence of their personal experience on elements in the film. And of course, the film can be read as a more general story of self-actualization and breaking free from systems of oppression. But I think it takes on a lot more interesting and powerful meaning this way.

The sequels are still trash though
the deeper structure of meaning is far more universal -- out of which all sorts of more particular readings are possible. the motif of appearance (apparent reality) versus essence (true reality) is the basis for all religion and philosophy and critical social thinking. the wachowskis gave keanu reaves jean baudrillards simulacrum and simulacra for instance as well as some other things to read before he got the script. http://thematrix101.com/books/inspirations.php

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Zane posted:

the deeper structure of meaning is far more universal -- out of which all sorts of more particular readings are possible.

Sure, but some of the imagery and even some of the dialogue calls to mind the very particular experience of being transgender which the Wachowskis very likely drew from in their direction. It's obviously made to be able to support a more general reading, but I think the message hits more powerfully with this specific context.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I know serious posting in BV is rather gauche so here's a hearty old meme to balance out the thread's chi energy

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The original is great and the sequels... don't seem so bad compared to some of the poo poo they inspired (Resident Evil, Underworld.)

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
it was cool in the animatrix when the robot was like "hand over your flesh. we demand it." then nuked everyone

and that dude that ran so hard he broke into the matrix

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
The runner segment was very good

they should do a Matrix anthology series that's just stories about randos like the animatrix

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Improbable Lobster posted:

The runner segment was very good

they should do a Matrix anthology series that's just stories about randos like the animatrix

that would make a great show

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I watched this again recently with the gf who's never seen it and she liked it despite it being "old"

Never watched the sequels

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Someone post the horrid architect scenes

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Glenn Quebec posted:

Someone post the horrid architect scenes

the architect scene is the best scene in reloaded.

Fratstar_Eatpuss
May 29, 2010

this is so early 2000's it made me cry

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I didn't really like the last Matrix movie, but I thought the final fight was amazing and thought it pretty much meant that when we next got a Superman movie, we would finally get an actual Superman level fight on for the first time.

The next Superman movie was Superman Returns.

We did finally get the fights that I wanted in Man of Steel, but by that point Superhero movie fights of that level and better were all over the place, so the impressiveness on display there couldn't save what I though was another thoroughly disappointing film.

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
Ive only seen the first one and refused to see the others based on the verbal diarrhea people I know contracted from seeing them. I tried watching the second one once but turned it off at the orgasm cake.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."
The first film: Cult sci-fi classic; lots of new ideas; some great kung-fu; changed cinema forever.

The sequels: They're OK to watch on a Sunday afternoon when there's nothing else on. You're probably better off watching the first film again and then watching the animated version of "Ghost in the Shell".

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Dark City was better imo

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I turned on dark city and fell asleep after 10 minutes

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
At this point, I see Dark City as Road Warrior and Matrix as Fury Road.

Science Rocket
Sep 4, 2006

Putting the Flash in Flash Man

zjentohlauedy posted:

What are the Matrix Rules anyway?

Rule 1. There is no spoon.
Rule 2. ???

You know kung fu

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

The architect scene was great!

That sex-dance scene was horrible! It took way too long and the music sucked, the dance was also really weird.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

John F Bennett posted:

The architect scene was great!

That sex-dance scene was horrible! It took way too long and the music sucked, the dance was also really weird.

I think the point of that scene was to demonstrate that you can't have orgies in the matrix, which is why it needs to be destroyed.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Old Grasshopper posted:

The first film: Cult sci-fi classic; lots of new ideas; some great kung-fu; changed cinema forever.

The sequels: They're OK to watch on a Sunday afternoon when there's nothing else on. You're probably better off watching the first film again and then watching the animated version of "Ghost in the Shell".

You can’t call something a cult classic when it was the highest selling DVD of all time for like 3-4 years (until Family Guy boxed sets outpaced it lol)

The Matrix is a good movie with neat ideas, the Animatrix is the same ideas from different viewpoints, the sequels are studio execs trying to create “lore” to build a following and drive franchising and the Waichovskis are thieves and liars and loving psychos to work for and I’m super grateful for their work but wish they’d just shut up and go away.

ashrum3
Feb 16, 2019
matrix online could of been an awesome game but they really f up that game with dum poo poo other wise the movies ruled defendant revolutionary for its time

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The continuous storyline in the Matrix online was so bad it actively makes the movies worse. Would not recommend.

Actually every Matrix video game was basically unplayable Jank

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

The continuous storyline in the Matrix online was so bad it actively makes the movies worse. Would not recommend.

You shut your mouth, The Path of Neo rules.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

[qanduote="Bust Rodd" post="494485438"]
the Waichovskis are thieves and liars and loving psychos to work for and I’m super grateful for their work but wish they’d just shut up and go away.
[/qanduote]

how so?

kalel fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Apr 25, 2019

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

You should use a closing qanduote tag to fix your post.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

John F Bennett posted:

You should use a closing qanduote tag to fix your post.

Fixed, thanks

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I think the point of that scene was to demonstrate that you can't have orgies in the matrix, which is why it needs to be destroyed.

“This right here, this scene, never happens in the matrix” is kind of a compelling argument for the matrix.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

he Waichovskis are thieves and liars and loving psychos to work for and I’m super grateful for their work but wish they’d just shut up and go away.

you’re in luck, they recently closed their studio and appear to be done.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Bust Rodd posted:

i read a plot summary once and man does it sound like the dumbest poo poo on earth

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

Hell yes, the Animatrix rules.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I'm not trying to speak to the quality or content of these films here, I just really want to know: how the gently caress do people keep track of which one is Revolutions and which one is Reloaded?

Also Animatrix is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I'm not trying to speak to the quality or content of these films here, I just really want to know: how the gently caress do people keep track of which one is Revolutions and which one is Reloaded?

Also Animatrix is awesome.

Neo is blind in basically the entirety of revolutions IIRC and is wearing a cloth over his eyes.