Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Tunicate posted:

Here's my bracket. I spent more time trying to pick fonts for bots than on the matches

I would love to see this happen but ...

The battle I am most unsure about is Minotaur vs Witch Doctor, only because WD has removed their wedge so the spinner sticks out and does more damage.

edit; fixed!
edit; fixed2! I don't want to miss out on points!

wormil fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

wormil posted:

I would love to see this happen but ...

The battle I am most unsure about is Minotaur vs Witch Doctor, only because WD has removed their wedge so the spinner sticks out and does more damage.

You have tombstone vs minotaur twice

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

The Glumslinger posted:

You have tombstone vs minotaur twice

TY, fixed!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The most you will get is 32 points without any win predictions.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
No, I mean KO or Decision.

Reposting here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wuWm2I6eTYgUOccrZ_axD2U2Jo1QKaJdyMx7wiXS8aY/

No prizes, just for loving around.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 21, 2018

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

well that was bullshit

wait, they're not showing every knockout fight wtf?!

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 22, 2018

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
Wait a minute, did they just do one of these big fights off screen? What the hell? And it looks like it was a better fight than the one we just saw.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

They always save something for science channel. :sigh:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Well I guess if I had bothered to make a bracket, it would already be totally busted.

RIP Tombstone :(

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Murphys Law posted:

Wait a minute, did they just do one of these big fights off screen? What the hell? And it looks like it was a better fight than the one we just saw.

They did a highlights version of the SOW vs Lockjaw fight. They showed it being a good fun fight, but I have feeling it was a handful of big hits in the first minute, followed by 2 minutes of ineffective pushing around.

Also, it's to be expected, they are only putting 5 fights on the Friday night fights. I'm sure we will get another highlight fight next week.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

What a disappointing episode :sigh:

e: I don't understand why Tombstone doesn't run some sort of chain guard or shield or guide or something of the sort. It just seems like leaving the weapon chain exposed like that is always going to invite risks and upsets like the one we saw tonight

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 22, 2018

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Save us Bronco

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Go Bombshell. Oh no Bombshell!

The second half of this episode was not great but at leas the first few fights were decent. I hope the top few bracket fights don't all end up being kind of disappointing.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

T1g4h posted:

What a disappointing episode :sigh:

e: I don't understand why Tombstone doesn't run some sort of chain guard or shield or guide or something of the sort. It just seems like leaving the weapon chain exposed like that is always going to invite risks and upsets like the one we saw tonight

The chain wasn't hit, it broke when the two weapons intersected.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Holy poo poo rip

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Congrats to the goon on the Bombshell team on a good win. I'd love to know if they actually redesigned that bot for specifically Tombstone.

Drowning In Terror
Dec 10, 2008
I appreciate Bombshell clawing in to remove Tombstone from the competition then quickly signing out. Bit of a chuckle.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Xelkelvos posted:

It's a little late, but everyone fill out a bracket or at least make a list of victors and win types in each round and I'll score them. I thought about doing it in a Google Sheet so everyone can add it, but I don't want to deal with possible bad actors But I'll make it so everyone can at least look at it

Link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wuWm2I6eTYgUOccrZ_axD2U2Jo1QKaJdyMx7wiXS8aY/edit?usp=sharing

My picks

Edit: Tunicate, I'll need win conditions to give you full points

I didn't watch the episode yet (timezones and all) and filled this one out, once I was done I noticed how wrong I was already. :shepface:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Bombshell, takes multiple hits from tombstone, catches on fire after 1 hit from Lockjaw...

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Bombshell, takes multiple hits from tombstone, catches on fire after 1 hit from Lockjaw...

I'm guessing it still had residual damage from the Tombstone fight.

Aww, I was rooting for Bombshell after they scraped into the tournament almost literally at the last second of the qualifiers and then taking out the #1 seed. They were Cinderella'ing their way to the ball like a champ. :(

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I like how Bombshell and Lockjaw have both been disappointments the entire season only to both deliver huge upsets consecutively at the very end. Good show underdogs.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Tombstone looked like it had some steering issues in the beginning which definitely did not help it. Either way it's going to be cool to see what redesign if any Ray does for next year

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Everything about that episode was amazing. I love the upsets!

I'm here to see Huge! take the giant nut home.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

logikv9 posted:

Tombstone looked like it had some steering issues in the beginning which definitely did not help it. Either way it's going to be cool to see what redesign if any Ray does for next year

Yeah, like a lot of Battlebots matchers the match was over before it began.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

TomR posted:

Everything about that episode was amazing. I love the upsets!

I'm here to see Huge! take the giant nut home.

Huge may have the toughest bracket around for them though... Have to beat Bite Force and then likely a rematch against Ice Wave...

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

logikv9 posted:

Holy poo poo rip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKLmZNnMT0A

I guess the Bombshell went off :v:

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm guessing it still had residual damage from the Tombstone fight.

MikeNCR (aka Bombshells pilot) mentioned earlier in this thread that their self-right plan was to use the weapon. I think they burned out the weapon motor enacting that plan.

Speaking of which, congratulations on beating Tombstone, Mike!

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Huge may have the toughest bracket around for them though... Have to beat Bite Force and then likely a rematch against Ice Wave...

Yeah honestly I don't expect them to get past Bite Force.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

The fire in the Lock-Jaw fight was one of our drive controllers rather spectacularly destroying itself.

As far as Tombstone's driving, one of Ray's tactics is to expose a wheel to bait the other bot into trying to attack it, then rotate the weapon into them, which looks a bit odd if you don't know what he's doing. I was expecting this and just focused on going right after the weapon instead of giving him the chance to make his move.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MikeNCR posted:

The fire in the Lock-Jaw fight was one of our drive controllers rather spectacularly destroying itself.

As far as Tombstone's driving, one of Ray's tactics is to expose a wheel to bait the other bot into trying to attack it, then rotate the weapon into them, which looks a bit odd if you don't know what he's doing. I was expecting this and just focused on going right after the weapon instead of giving him the chance to make his move.

The TV crew claimed this version of Bombshell was designed with Tombstone in mind. Any truth to that?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Current Bracket standings:

Me: 3
Tunicate: 4
Wormil: 3
Glumslinger: 5
Zedd: 1

How scoring works: correctly picking a winner is worth 1pt in Ro16, 2 in QFs, 4 in Semis and 8 for the final. Correctly picking whether it ends up as a KO (or Ring out) or Decision (Split or Unanimous) will double the points for that match.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

The TV crew claimed this version of Bombshell was designed with Tombstone in mind. Any truth to that?

Better description would probably be that it was set up to deal with horizontal spinners in general well (Gigabyte, Icewave, etc...) to the point where we even had two disk designs, with one focused toward general use and the other toward horizontal spinners. The weapon motor ended up not being able to handle the power it was rated for, so we had to use the anti-horizontal spinner disk the whole time, but had it been powerful enough you'd have seen a different disk in a lot of the fights.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Did anyone else feel like Tombstone wasn't maneuvering well? It usually pivots on a dime but seemed to be sluggish.
I had hoped to at least pick 3/4 winners.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

It really surprises me that, even after multiple years, no one has come up with something that reliably beats Tombstone without losing to everything else.
You called it.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
https://www.facebook.com/885252028238150/posts/1798078150288862/

quote:

Team News:

After leading the team for two seasons and piloting Bombshell for most of it Mike has decided to step down from his roles on the team. Matt and Dan will be taking on a co-captain role for next season. Jason will be taking on the driver role. We're working hard on the development of a new and improved Bombshell in anticipation of another season being announced in the near future.

Mike was diagnosed with Bell's Palsy at the beginning of the summer and is slowly approaching a full recovery. In light of the plausible causes for the condition he's opted to step away from competing in combat robotics events as a whole for an indefinite amount of time.

Any additional roster and role changes will be announced when appropriate.

Sorry to hear about this Mike, speedy recovery :(

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Glad to see they are expecting a new season to be announced though...

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

As always the episode has leaked early and drat. Those are some fights! Every one of them was great.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
this was the craziest and most unpredictable episode by far

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Holy gently caress! That was amazing. I was actually yelling at my television.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Very fun episode! I almost did a spit-take when Huge just broke in half. I was rooting for Huge but I can't even be mad about that.

I really did not see Rotator absolutely chewing up Icewave like that. Icewave's been so dominant this season, I didn't expect its loss to be so brutal.

I was only disappointed with the last fight. I love Bronco, and it's a huge bummer to see that every single semifinalist is a spinner.

• Locked thread