Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Laughed at Ray yelling at the other team to just stop moving. Also good to see him not do the normal of going in for the total destruction like he probably would with another team.

To be honest, if I had a compromised frame and no replacement, I'd refrain from unnecessary hits, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

Complete Control was the one piloted by a Goon who participated in the original series right?

And said goon is a judge now!

All the fringe conspiracy theories about SA being the illuminati are true.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

My favorite robot wars bot was the one inexplicably made of wood.

I remember a wooden robot turning up on Robotica once. The farmer guy was so smug about how it would clean up because it could survive sledgehammer hits.

Its first actual fight after the obstacle courses was against a bot packing a vertical spinner that resembled a titanium shuriken. Only wood chips remained of it by the end, which is an accomplishment since bots usually got pushed off the platform before taking much damage.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

Woo, I had no idea this was back for another season. Is it streaming anywhere so I can catch up on the latest tournament?

Discovery has an app, but it's subscription locked. Buy the season on Prime, otherwise.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

I like how people still pretend drones do anything.

Has there even been a drone yet? I think their ineffectiveness is realized.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Didn’t overhaul get something important cut? Like sawblaze actually does some very deep cuts they just don’t look impressive

I don't know about not looking impressive, some of those cuts literally glow for a good while after, and it looks awesome.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

MiddleOne posted:

In my relentless strive to do anything that will get my mind off work I checked out 2015. Couldn't stop laughing at the guy who hid a net in a present package to kill a spinner.

Want to laugh harder? He's a goon, and judging this year.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

I do love the clip where they basically flat out admitted they made lovely engineering choices just to make it look like a burger.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

MiddleOne posted:

Fun for whom.

People who want to watch a stupid hamburger bot get torn apart? I mean, it's like pitting Mike Tyson against Ben Carson: you don't go to see if Tyson wins, you go to see how bad he could gently caress up Carson.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah I think that was against Tombstone and the driver was chuckling and telling them to stop moving so they'd be counted out. If you keep trying to get away then the fight is still going so .... :black101:

It's hard to tell if Ray was being merciful, or just trying to avoid damaging himself. (Tombstone's frame was compromised prior to that fight, as I recall, and he didn't have a spare)

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Also I am happy to see Chomp and Overhaul adding more losses to their loss belts...

Especially Overhaul. I mean, I know Brutus split off that team because of "differences of opinion" with Charles, but wasn't there a second breakaway team, too? He seems a bit insufferable.

I feel like Zoey really wants that auto targeting system to work, and being a software guy I can't help but feel bad for her, even despite the obvious design flaws.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I want a Tombstone v Tombstone fight

Have Tombstone drive into the sides and hazards of the battlebox and see what breaks first.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

halokiller posted:

We sometimes question a bot with exposed wheels and Last Rites/Tombstone is as exposed as it gets, but I don't think I ever seen it lose a wheel in any Combots or Robogames match.

His wheel was bent by the end of that last fight, but that was about it. Honestly, though, it's a good calculated risk because in most circumstances, that giant fuckoff lawnmower blade is spinning between the aggressor and the wheels, and a lot of people can't get their weapons effective area to the wheel without ending up in Tombstone's danger zone.

He's also got an exposed chain which seems conceptually dangerous, but at the same time, nobody seems to have the length or precision to hit it.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

It really surprises me that, even after multiple years, no one has come up with something that reliably beats Tombstone without losing to everything else.

Is Tombstone literally the best possible design?

I am curious to see if the rash of "Just Barely Not Wedge" bots manage to bounce him enough to break himself, or if Huge manages a lucky chain shot, but I think the chances of either are slim.

That said, there are Tombstone like bots this year that are doing awfully, so there's definitely an element of skill and quality workmanship in Ray's favor.

BurntCornMuffin fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 13, 2018

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Great Beer posted:

That chassis is getting more and more banged up with every fight and I don't believe they brought a spare. The electrics inside can't be doing much better.

They didn't bring a spare, Ray said as much in one of the earlier episodes.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

logikv9 posted:

i can see heavyweight designs like beta doing a ton of damage but i think any damage is outweighed by the fact you have this huge heavy hammer lugging around that’s attached only at one point, which can be broken off. for all the weight put into the hammer anyway could be spent in a decent spinner that has a bigger damage radius anyway

Not to mention once that as the hammer impacts, a great deal of energy is lost as the reaction force lifts the bot wielding the hammer. With a flipper or vertical spinner, the reaction force is directed downwards, giving those bots decent ground to push off of instead of launching themselves in the air.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

MikeNCR posted:

On the plus side, given all the controversy it seems like it's almost certain there's going to be a Bombshell Vs. Duck rematch next season, which should be a fun fight.

Out of curiosity, what led you to forgo the modular design this year? Also, was the lack of self-righting intentional?

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

wormil posted:

Florence knocked out the power during the last fight, who won?

Duck looked like the sole survivor until the last second, but Bombshell showed movement in the nick of time as the round ended. Bombshell won by unanimous judges decision, presumably because it doled out more active weapon damage than Duck. Duck's driver looked equal parts crushed and pissed, and the decision was somewhat controversial.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Blackchamber posted:

Does anyone tune in or show up for the live taping hoping to see two bots in a shoving match?

They can be fun with a format and ruleset catered to them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCqxOzKNFks

However, a format like Battlebots is definitely better for the active weapon requirement, as impressive a tank Duck was, its nominal weapon was a bit too nominal.

Is there a specific engineering reason why people aren't using spears? That'd be a new and interesting weapon to watch, strap one of those on Duck.

I remember seeing a test box in the pits during some behind the scenes stuff, did the hamburger team even use it?

BurntCornMuffin fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Sep 17, 2018

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm guessing it still had residual damage from the Tombstone fight.

MikeNCR (aka Bombshells pilot) mentioned earlier in this thread that their self-right plan was to use the weapon. I think they burned out the weapon motor enacting that plan.

Speaking of which, congratulations on beating Tombstone, Mike!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Captain Magic posted:

Biteforce is awesome, I just wish it and the team had a little more personality. Although it is very apropos that the best fighting robot contest was won by the engineeriest engineer.

I kind of like how he seems like a generally mild-mannered guy, gives his SO a peck before the fight, then turns into a cold unfeeling monster and shreds a bot.

Also, is it just me or did Chris shout "ARE YOU KIDDING ME" a lot more than usual this year?

• Locked thread