Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Why is this show so entertaining.

Also what's with the renewed power balance. From what I remember of Robot Wars as a kid wedges and crushers just destroyed the opposition and now suddenly spinners of all kinds are the bees knees?

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 09:42 on May 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Coaaab posted:

The best heavyweight crusher right now is Spectre, a British bot exclusively competing in the Chinese King of Bots and This Is Fighting Robots shows.

That's either eerily similiar or literally the crusher I was thinking of from my childhood.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 20, 2018

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Coaaab posted:

https://twitter.com/BattleBots/status/999726845791801344

lol at the one-shot projectile bot debuting in a multi-bot rumble

How does that thing even work.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

Lol at that projectile. Point blank and does nothing.

Did the guys who made this not finish Newtonian physics? I mean someone please correct me if I'm speaking out of my rear end here but just off the top off my head from what I remember of physics:

1. The slug is too large and for some reason flat (???), making it impossible for it to penetrate anything that's even remotely as sturdy as itself since the force of the slug will get spread out upon impact.

2. While the slug is significantly heavy, it doesn't even come close to the weight of whatever it's going to hit. Meaning it has to hit with a tremendous force to actually cause any internal damage and not just recoil immediately as the force rebounds and bounces off the slug harmlessly.

3. The height of the barrel, why is the firing mechanism made to fire from an elevated position that almost guarantees that the slug will hit at an awkward angle and bounce off.

I mean we saw 1 & 2 in action right here. The slug didn't even dent the metal and bounced the hell away since the slug didn't have enough force to significantly move the very heavy and forward-pushing bot. And that was without 3 even coming into effect. Like what was plan A here. :psyduck:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It's better I think, decreases the odds of matches being duds (looking at you hamburger bot).

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Subzero's gets bailed out of a retarded strategy because Shredator can't take a hit god drat it

I dunno, being unable to absorb its own recoil in a sustainable manner seems to be a flaw with almost all of the full-body spinners so far.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

e: How the gently caress is this a split decision the what are you smoking Naomi

Because it was more of a stalemate than an actual win. Neither bot managed to hurt the other in any real way even if one was arguably in more control. It's not like the constant flipping of Chomp accomplished anything.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

logikv9 posted:

sawblaze needs a better primary weapon for that top-tier plow

No that's actually their gimmick. They're a passive-weapon bot masquerading as one with an active weapon as to not be illegible.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Its actually kind of perfect. Its basically a wedge with a weapon that makes lots of pretty sparks for the judges.

Yeah they gamed the format hard.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Great Beer posted:

Sawblaze has consistently been chopping its way through the armor of other machines. It doesn't crumple armor or fling parts through the air but to say it does nothing is disingenuous.

It looks pretty, but it doesn't really seem to be accomplishing much most of the time.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Counterpoint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIABF0sNnp0

Different saw bot, but I'd think Sawblaze is at least as strong

I honestly can't tell if the saw even got through the armor or if the bot just started burning on its own.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

:wtc:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

In my relentless strive to do anything that will get my mind off work I checked out 2015. Couldn't stop laughing at the guy who hid a net in a present package to kill a spinner.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Well that was an incredibly lame episode.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

I feel like they don't exactly expect their bot to dominate and are there to have fun

Fun for whom. Their bot doesn't even run and for the audience it's just a complete waste of time since the match is decided before it even starts.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

got some chores tonight posted:

pairing a 2-0 bot against an 0-2 bot is kind of weird matchmaking

Very symmetrical though.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Chomp
Strengths: Seemingly indestructible
Weaknesses: Everything else

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

That tournament was a cool idea. It seems like it wasn't really the last chance for losers they promoted it as because some of them weren't even doing that badly overall. One of them was even undefeated. I was expecting it to be the contestants with no wins.

Lockjaw seemed to win through pure driving skill and having a second robot to swap in when one gets too damaged. It certainly looks like those lifting arms work against it and keep the opponent away from the spinner. It doesn't actually connect with the spinner very often.

Lockjaw's current design is derivative in a bad way and that's been the problem plaguing it ever since the re-design. It's just Endgame but worse in almost every way.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

wormil posted:

Lockjaw looks good but the spinner is too far back.

Oh it looks fantastic. Which is why I'm so sad to see it lose all the time. :(

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I love how it's just taken for granted that Tombstone is the huge gimmick villain bot that will always make it to at least the semi-final.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

I think some very controlly bots could beat it, but they'd struggle against bots that are less likely to throw themselves around the box after a big hit

I'd be very curious to see Sawblaze go up against it since it has that monstrous plow.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

logikv9 posted:

Has any full body spinner not broken itself by the end of a decently long fight, or is it just basically a given

There's no way around that when one-third to half the weight is the weapon and it's hitting things with huge momentum. Two things happen when the weapon hits something, force goes into the target and, depending on the targets weight and friction to the ground, the rest of the energy goes right back along the weapon into the axis of the spinner itself. At that point either the bot goes flying or the internal components take the brunt of the blow. Of the actually functioning big spinners (get out of here hamburger bot) you pretty much have the more poorly built ones like Gigabyte that can't handle a stiff breeze and Tombstone that has a more balanced and durable design.

I'm really bad at Newtonian physics so don't cite me on any of this. :v:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Seems the full body spinners have the great weakness of self destructing if they hit something that won't move / take much energy from it. Thus whenever they hit the edges of the box, the insides turn to mush.

If you want to try out the physics of this at home, all you have to do is to punch a wall.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

The wall never stood a chance.

Now find a slightly sturdier wall to get the full Gigabyte experience. Science!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Has Warrior Dragon's main weapon ever not broken? I can't re-call a single time. :psyduck:

Also thank god Warheads spinner finally died. Their other weapon is so much more interesting and unique.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah to me it just seems to be worlds most boring gimmmick.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Since Warhead virtually destroyed its own weapon, was dominant for most of the fight despite that dramatic injury and Warrior Dragon doing absolutely nothing with their primary weapon I thought it was the obvious call.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Huh? Last Episode?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

Flames seem better as a way to obscure the vision of the opponent than as an actual method of damage.

And now the next seasons meta is going to be having a drone flying in front of the opposing players box and obscuring their vision with flames.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Bombshell, takes multiple hits from tombstone, catches on fire after 1 hit from Lockjaw...

I like how Bombshell and Lockjaw have both been disappointments the entire season only to both deliver huge upsets consecutively at the very end. Good show underdogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

logikv9 posted:

Tombstone looked like it had some steering issues in the beginning which definitely did not help it. Either way it's going to be cool to see what redesign if any Ray does for next year

Yeah, like a lot of Battlebots matchers the match was over before it began.

• Locked thread