Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The Saw Blaze metagaming is nothing new. Bite Force won the tournament with a do-nothing primary weapon in 2015. They switched to a vertical spinner after that, but they used to just rely on being a solidly-built wedge and occasionally it would pick someone up.

I never need to see Overhaul again. What a boring piece of poo poo.

RBA Starblade posted:

Speaking of pieces of poo poo I appreciate the effort they put into its ai but has Chomp ever actually accomplished anything? Even the MIT bot dunked on it.

e: lmao Duck! rules

The last season it made it to the playoffs and eliminated one of the powerhouse bots (I think the reigning champ Bite Force?) with a single shot in the first round. But it really relies on nailing that one shot, which rarely happens.

I like to see Chomp every season. I enjoy this woman's nonsensical struggle to completely eliminate driving from the competition. I expect at some point she's going to show up with a robot that's totally autonomous.

Duck seems like it's basically using a similar strategy to Saw Blaze, they just aren't as savvy about it. If they don't fight a spinner they can disable using its own force, they're gonna get rolled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pakled posted:

I'm shocked at how sturdy Huge is.

There's a robot just like it on the British version of Battlebots called Gabriel that I think the Huge guys straight-up ripped off.

http://www.robotwars.tv/competitors/season-10/week-2/gabriel-2/

Except the British one is a lot dumber because it just swings a blade. But it has won matches just by being durable.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Tombstone gonna win.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

GuavaMoment posted:

After reading the rules I understand and kind of agree with both close decisions. Try thinking backwards if it helps. Imagine a fight where one bot gets 2 damage points, and the other bot gets all 3 of the other points to win. What would that fight look like? Wouldn't it look kind of exactly like the Icewave Skorpios fight?

Basically

Does this imply that a really, really good wedge bot could compete?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Great Beer posted:

I think that might have been the best drone kill yet.

I don't think anything will top the rake, but that was the coolest thing the screws have ever done for sure.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Rondette posted:

And Yeah, Faruq is great, does he write those ...things..himself?

I think the teams do. One of the things he said this season referenced that the team wrote it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gromit posted:

Hopefully the drones they use are really cheap so no-one cares.
I think it was Robot Wars years ago where a team got angry as they threw in the towel after their bot died but their opponent kept going and destroyed some really expensive parts unnecessarily. I think this season or last we had a bot get disemboweled and you can see the guys poo poo a brick and scream they gave up when their opponent headed in to keep going.

There are a lot more shots this year of teams throwing in the towel to keep their opponents from annihilating them before they get counted out. I dunno if that's happening more often because of the more-rigorous tournament schedule or it was always happening and it's just an editing choice.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

wormil posted:

There is no throwing in the towel. You can stop moving and wait for the 10 count but there is no rule against contact during the count.

Yeah, but you can yell over to the other team "hey we're done don't hit us anymore" and hope they don't hit you anymore.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Wow Bite Force really hosed Hypershock up good

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
That tournament was a cool idea. It seems like it wasn't really the last chance for losers they promoted it as because some of them weren't even doing that badly overall. One of them was even undefeated. I was expecting it to be the contestants with no wins.

Lockjaw seemed to win through pure driving skill and having a second robot to swap in when one gets too damaged. It certainly looks like those lifting arms work against it and keep the opponent away from the spinner. It doesn't actually connect with the spinner very often.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pakled posted:

That one undefeated one had only been in one match, though, and I don't think it was even televised. I do think its only chance of making it to the finals was winning the Desperado tournament. It seems rather unfair that the competitors don't all get the same number of matches in the fight card stage.

I doubt they're being that unfair. I wonder if that team missed some fights from not being able to repair fast enough.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Tombstone is such a great robot that I feel like Witch Doctor gets a huge reputation boost just from coming close to beating it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4AAIfQD8ew

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Vertical spinner behind a wedge seems like the best bet.

If they seed the playoffs, Tombstone at #1 would probably face that guy who won the desperado tournament at #16. He's got exactly that kind of bot.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 13, 2018

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

This rules.

"One entrant left her robot on the train. When she couldn't find it, she sent us a picture of her having a beer rather than compete. The crowd praised her act of supreme crappiness."

"This robot was fitted with several dildos"

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Aug 15, 2018

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Kinda poo poo fights this week.

logikv9 posted:

i'm the independently powered and operated tread

I'd love to know at what point in the design process they decided that was the best way to go. I'm sure they had their reasons, but ...

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 18, 2018

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gromit posted:

I guess you minimise weak points if you put the electric motor as close as possible to the thing it is driving, and if the motor is a beast you can pack your batteries and some control gear in there as well and have that sensitive stuff protected without having to spend your weight on a separate armoured housing? Presumably the track went amok when it wasn't getting its expected control signals from the main controller in the body of the bot.

You make a good case. I was assuming (becasue the detached tread was moving around on its own) that the two people shown with control sticks were operating a single tread each, but now that I think about it, I bet both treads could be independently controlled by a single operator.

It would be dumb as hell to have two people controlling a tread each, but what you're describing makes sense with a one-driver system.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Man, Duck is something else though. Can't judge a book by it's cover. That robot can withstand a lot.

Maybe I'm nuts, but I thought Warrior Dragon got robbed. Yeah, its primary weapon didn't function ... ever during the fight, but at least it didn't spend the whole fight spazzing around the ring.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

logikv9 posted:

didn't they mention at one point either this episode or last that duck had some sort of unibody design? it helped make it extra durable at the expense of lack of customization and easy repair

They didn't. but it's pretty obvious that it's a wedge bot pretending to have a weapon. I don't totally agree with the rule changes making wedge bots severely disadvantaged, so I don't mind it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

beepsandboops posted:

Somebody on another forum noted that this exact same fight happened last year in RoboGames with different results: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma0pSgKRpeQ

Wow, you're not kidding, this is totally the same match. This fight is amazing. Everyone should watch it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Bad fights this week. I wonder if the exhibition was drawing from robots with no hope of making the tournament or already eliminated.

Good to see Simone Gertz judging.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

There's a lot of rules when it comes to weapons. Most of which are there to keep the battlebox itself from getting too hosed up. Even though, it's obviously taking a beating this season. You can even see damage on the glass during the intro bit of the last episode...

Although, I think only Tombstone and SOW are the only 2 to do significant damage to the box...

Jamie Hyneman (the Mythbuster with the mustache) was given a championship once because the couldn't let him compete anymore because his gas-powered spinner embedded shrapnel of an opponent deeply in the battlebox. They were afraid if they let him continue he might put pieces of other robots completely through the arena.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Great Beer posted:

I am kinda curious how Bombshell ended up in there at all, its not exactly impressed this year. Or even come close. Kraken or Petunia seem like they'd have been better choices. Maybe even warrior dragon if they could keep it working for more than 30 seconds. Only thing I can come up with is that its one of the few robots with enough spare parts left to do another (potentially) 5 fights.

Yeah, as with the US vs. the world exhibition episode, they're probably just throwing together anyone who can still fight.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Duck is impressively durable, but that team made the tactical decision to bring a robot that essentially has no weapon to a contest where weapon damage is the plurality of the points awarded. Duck's only chance of winning the rumble was 5-way knockout, and hey, they almost did.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

BurntCornMuffin posted:

They can be fun with a format and ruleset catered to them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCqxOzKNFks

However, a format like Battlebots is definitely better for the active weapon requirement, as impressive a tank Duck was, its nominal weapon was a bit too nominal.

Is there a specific engineering reason why people aren't using spears? That'd be a new and interesting weapon to watch, strap one of those on Duck.

I remember seeing a test box in the pits during some behind the scenes stuff, did the hamburger team even use it?

I believe Duck's "beak" is supposed to be a spear, but they've designed it such that it's just an extension of their wedge so they can go "see, active weapon" and enter a wedge bot in the competition.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Xelkelvos posted:

Maybe we should reopen the Fantasy Battlebots thing for this, albeit small, bracket.

Oh yeah, that would be cool if someone knows how to do it without being too much of a pain in the rear end.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Congrats to the goon on the Bombshell team on a good win. I'd love to know if they actually redesigned that bot for specifically Tombstone.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MikeNCR posted:

The fire in the Lock-Jaw fight was one of our drive controllers rather spectacularly destroying itself.

As far as Tombstone's driving, one of Ray's tactics is to expose a wheel to bait the other bot into trying to attack it, then rotate the weapon into them, which looks a bit odd if you don't know what he's doing. I was expecting this and just focused on going right after the weapon instead of giving him the chance to make his move.

The TV crew claimed this version of Bombshell was designed with Tombstone in mind. Any truth to that?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Whiplash did some excellent driving, only getting flipped once. In the interview the driver claimed they were lower than Bronco's flipper, but I don't know if that's true or if it even mattered because he was on Bronco's sides the whole time.

I dunno about his chances against Bite Force though. It's a lot more maneuverable. As good a driver as Whiplash has, that weapon doesn't seem to be much to write home about. The fights I can remember of his, it's been like a wedge bot with a saw attached that "scores points" but doesn't really do much damage.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

oh jay posted:

They've done just for fun rumbles in previous finales haven't they? We'll probably get one or two bonus fights next week.

gently caress a rumble I want a tombstone-bronco fight

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Great Beer posted:

Bite Force is currently 16 - 1. It's only loss is to chomp of all things.

It's the one time that Chomp's computer aiming thing actually worked as planned.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Abysmal posted:

The exhibition match should have been Tombstone vs. the cheeseburger robot that barely worked.

I dunno what more you could want than Tombstone embedding a piece of his opponent deep in the arena.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Coaaab posted:

Did you see this? It's like a side series of shorts focusing on pit repairs for some of the bots this season.

Oh wow, Bombshell went from limping out of the rumble to beating Tombstone in 30 minutes

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Also, a team showed up without a bot for ... some reason that's never explained in the short, so they spent 2 weeks building one from scratch with poo poo that was lying around only to have it catch fire in testing 5 minutes before its only fight on the last day of competition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Tombstone was robbed in all 3 categories

• Locked thread