Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
owo wuts dis
This poll is closed.
archer 7 14.58%
fighter 5 10.42%
mage 4 8.33%
ninja 5 10.42%
thunderbreaker (piss sharks) 27 56.25%
Total: 48 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
:carol: :siren:MAPLESTORY 2:siren: :yeah:

e: skip the below information if you're a goon that played/plays the korean version and understand moonrunes.

remember that awful anime game you played in middle school and shamefully returned to more than a decade later because something about the game's horrible mechanics, community, and developers drew you back in? well there's an even worse looking sequel coming to a goon battle-station near you and that's called Maplestory 2. There's a closed beta in like 2 days that you can sign up for here I guess: http://maplestory2.nexon.net/en/signup/
the bar for entry has to be incredibly low because somehow *I* got accepted to it, and there's absolutely nothing remarkable about me as a person and ~gamer~

Anyway that closed beta starts on May 9th 2018, which is in two days. maybe we should enjoy this hot garbage together while the closed beta lasts.

I'll add pictures and associated media when im home because im at work making this thread. god help me if people saw me looking at :amine: screenshots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live
cool :)

Tugboat Willy
Jun 9, 2004

I didn't get in at all. Was really looking forward to trying it out too. :(

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Tugboat Willy posted:

I didn't get in at all. Was really looking forward to trying it out too. :(
check ur pm's mate.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
Got in! Looking forward to giving this a try, was a fan of the original back in high school. All I know is that 2 now looks like My Sims, which is another game I'm overly nostalgic for.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Signed up late. It's been years since I touched anything Maplestory so it'd be funny to see what it's like, though I've heard literally nothing about this before now so lol

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Not in, I'd at least like to see some streams though...

Tugboat Willy
Jun 9, 2004

MoaM posted:

Not in, I'd at least like to see some streams though...
I watched Misusing's stream earlier and he was giving away keys. Of course I didn't get one but it did look fun.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

This looks terrible, all the videos are these nauseating chibi things being obscured by giant enemies during battle, like you can't even tell a player character is there. Wasn't the original 2d?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Frog Act posted:

This looks terrible, all the videos are these nauseating chibi things being obscured by giant enemies during battle, like you can't even tell a player character is there. Wasn't the original 2d?

Yeah the first time I saw Maplestory 2 footage, I was super let down. I'm gonna fire up the beta for the first time tonight so we'll see if I can overcome the visual onslaught of whatever that is which im looking at. Maplestory 1 was indeed 2D, and despite looking anime as get-out in some places, it did have a consistent charm. It grew on me after a year or so. I honestly dont think Maplestory 2 will do the same.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
I'm enjoying this so far. Anyone know if everything (characters/progress etc.) will get wiped after the beta ends?

Tugboat Willy
Jun 9, 2004

FauxLeather posted:

I'm enjoying this so far. Anyone know if everything (characters/progress etc.) will get wiped after the beta ends?
Yes it will be wiped.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
From what little I played, there's some charm. Maybe itll grow on me, maybe itll wear out its welcome. Im still not used to the voice acting. I made an adorable Heavy Weapons Chibi :kiddo:

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
Wow way to make this post after you can't get the roadmap stuff anymore.

I really wanted that stuff for this game I will likely never play for more than a week

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I thought you get the roadmap stuff as you played? I haven’t been following along then obviously.

Tugboat, the offer still stands.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
Nah you're thinking about the ingame daily login bonus, which is a different set of rewards. Roadmap was a kinda pre-beta signup incentive scheme where you share your results for personality quizes and get some cosmetics. None of them are great, so it's not a huge loss.
I do think they'll carry over to the full game when it releases, if you managed to do them.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
my opinion on this game changes like every minute. almost perpetually unsure how i feel about it.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
I can't help but shake the feeling that this closed beta is going to be this game in the best shape it'll ever be. I mean, there's no premium currency and almost every cash item is free. I'm kind of assuming the exp is boosted like mad too because I'm nearly level 50 and I've mostly just fished and done a handful of story quests.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
How's the combat? From watching the streams, zerker and priest look insanely boring.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Haven’t had enough time with combat but using the arrow keys to move in some 3D isometric style feels really odd. Maybe I’ll get used to it in time, but I feel like I need a controller to play.

I’m sure the exp grind and cash shop influence will be worse upon release, but I can’t imagine it could anywhere as bad as Maplestory before the exp overhaul....right?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
This game looks like it could be a builder but nobody's building anything.

Garbanian
Sep 18, 2011

GUUUUUURRRRLLLLL
I played some of the Korean one to see if I'd like it and it's not the worst thing I've ever played. Cant wait to get into the NA version!

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
dragon quest builders gonna sue

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
The game is OK (got into the second beta test), but if you can't farm the currency for world-chatting reliably ("merets" or whatever it is called)...and if the "Life Skills" and building stuff is truly locked behind the paywall...it will die pretty fast.

You also can't play this game with a keyboard like the first one; having a much better time with my PS3 controller.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I watched a video of this and it looked cute as hell and I wanna play it

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.
I'm also fairly interested in giving this a try if only because I have nostalgia for original MapleStory but it's actually terrible to play now except on private servers, and even the private servers don't provide the social experience I miss. It's a bummer.

teknologik
Jul 24, 2006

Write it, cut it,
paste it, save it
Sooooo. I don't see another thread. Any goons end up playing this?

It's pretty fun so far. Just reminds me of grinders like Ragnarok Online, OG Maplestory etc. Seems to have a good population rushing around it. Music system is cool the Evangelion theme was being played by someone randomly at a hub. The content creations stuff seems interesting for equips (players can make skins). Housing seems interesting, although it's not the draw for me.

teknologik fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 3, 2018

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Yeah I've been trying it out. It's a cute and goofy game. The block based stuff is a neat twist on the usual MS style and the story is kind of fun since it doesn't take itself seriously at all. I wish the cutscenes moved a little faster though.

Combat seems alright, I'm playing Wizard currently so they're not very mechanically complex, I know some other classes have a bit more to them. That being said the skills feel good and are all low cooldown so you get to spam them all over the place. Leveling is like... really fast if you just follow the main quest so I guess they're going for more of a "game starts at level cap" sort of thing. I know the cap is getting raised to 60 after head start is over and we're getting more content (plus Runeblader class)

Housing stuff seems cool but the interface for building has some really annoying parts about it that can make it kind of a chore. I haven't looked into the content creation stuff yet though.

I dunno, it's not super amazing but it's got some charm to it so it'll be a fun time waster at least for awhile.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

teknologik posted:

Sooooo. I don't see another thread. Any goons end up playing this?

It's pretty fun so far. Just reminds me of grinders like Ragnarok Online, OG Maplestory etc. Seems to have a good population rushing around it. Music system is cool the Evangelion theme was being played by someone randomly at a hub. The content creations stuff seems interesting for equips (players can make skins). Housing seems interesting, although it's not the draw for me.

The evangelion theme was me. I've been playing since the early start started, and that was one of the first things I loaded up when I got to where I could do 5k music sheets.

Cruel Angel's Thesis is 4.9k notes, so it just barely fits. I now have Maestro done. Is there a goon group going or should I establish an LLJK group or whatever?

I capped out level 50 in 1 day, finished about the same time as I wrapped up the 1-50 storyline, so there was no real grinding involved. It looks like Prestige levels are more along the lines of Maplestory Grind because they take the EXP rewards and hack off a couple zeros, and you get a prestige level every 1 million EXP. The most efficient way to play once you hit prestige is to knock out your prestige level for the day and then chill because there's a 75% penalty to the already reduced XP for your second and additional prestige levels if you do more than one level a day. Break down all your old armor from 20 to 50 and any dungeon trash you get that you don't need. Onyx crystals and poo poo from breaking down armor is the fuel for enhancing your raid gear.

The storyline wasn't even absolutely terrible!

Actual spoiler below
F for my boy Joddy

orange juche fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 3, 2018

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
we got a discord up or anything?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dizz posted:

we got a discord up or anything?

Not yet. I'm not sure how many people either got founders packs from the arena or bought founders packs. I also don't know how to get a discord server rolling tbh. I could mess with it tomorrow and get one set up, but I'll need to figure out how to set one up. I could get the massive Video Games goon group to help me set it up.

Got one set up now

E: I'm working on the discord right now, got it about 50% set up, but it won't be finished until tomorrow, I'll have to bring in someone who knows what the gently caress as far as roles in order to help set it up initially and lock down stuff so people can't troll the gently caress out of each other and piss people off, and if anyone wants to volunteer to write words for the Welcome channel and other channels, or wants to step up and help manage the server (be a mod) I'd appreciate the help.

The server link is here *snip* Right now it's set up so everyone can chat in the channels, but i suppressed @everyone mentions, and stopped the server from popping alerts to all members whenever someone says something. I also turned off welcome messages because they suck, I'll either link in GDN to do auth and assign people to the Goons role, or I will do it manually, I haven't figured out how I want to do that, and I haven't heard back from the folks who run the GDN bot yet.

Tempus Thales helped me get the server set up, so now my checklist is get the OP of the server set up, pick out mod(s) at a later date, and get a new OP built for a new MapleStory 2 thread

orange juche fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Oct 5, 2018

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Why am I playing Korean mmos for middle schoolers again

And what server did ya’ll pick

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Oct 4, 2018

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Why am I playing Korean mmos for middle schoolers again

And what server did ya’ll pick

I'm on NA US East, I don't know about anyone else though.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Yeah US East here as well.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Talked to TT on Discord, they are offering to either get a server rolling and set up for us to use and integrate it into the GDN network with bots and the whole shebang (there's something like 3000+ goons using discord in that network of servers) or they offered to set up a text channel on the main Something Awful discord server that we could run. The upside to a channel is it is easier to manage, but the downside is we won't be able to create/delete channels and adjust the server to grow or change as we like.

Personally I'd like to maintain our own server, because we would be able to set our own roles and stuff like goofy things like tagging colors for different classes, custom emotes and poo poo like that. However if there's only like 10 people, a channel might be better.

If someone feels like building an actual OP for the game thread, and not a shitpost, we can make a real thread and I'll even buy a run of ads to get goons on the game. Goons are nothing if not bored as poo poo and looking for a new thing to try, and for most people, usercp.php is their primary forums interface, so a banner ad would get more people involved. I'll look into finding someone from SA-Mart to build a banner ad. I'd honestly like to have more than 2-3 goons to play with, I'm just poo poo at writing OPs.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 4, 2018

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I’m fine with whatever, and it seems like MS2 is way more into the harder grouped content at endgame thing than the infinigrind, so more people to do stuff with would be cool. Rolled a knight on us east, so far it’s good. Because I’m a janitor.

Edit: good loving god I just started messing around with the housing system and :stare:

also I did the dance minigame event thing where you have to stack on numbered blocks and someone called us all N words for losing a round, which is pretty incredible considering the stakes.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 5, 2018

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Ok, so I got the server started, everyone's going to have to do the GDN authme to get the Goons role on the server, from there you should have full user access to the server. I'm still working on getting some images and info for setting up a nice new OP and thread, if buglord doesn't answer me back before the actual launch on the 10th I'll have VG nuke this one, add the other one with a nice pretty OP, and ask VG to maybe sticky it for a bit to get some visibility so we can grow the community.

E: Buglord has spoken, we're getting a new thread. I need ideas for a witty thread title, any submissions?

For anyone who needs an invite to the server, this is a perma-invite that will be used for the forseeable future

https://discord.gg/4tFZF9S

orange juche fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Oct 5, 2018

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Is this game good? Is it as dependent on the cash shop as MS1?

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Xun posted:

Game is cute and pretty fun. I think "good" is going to depend on how much you are into the different stuff there is to do in the game. Leveling is pretty quick but the combat also isn't super in-depth though, so if you're looking for complex mechanics and stuff I think you'll be a bit let down since most of the classes are about spamming one or two skills + a few longer cd skills. Some of the dungeon bosses have had some neat gimmicks so far though and I hear the content at 50/60 gets significantly more difficult.

That being said there's a ton of other side stuff to do like housing and creating custom textures/clothes and playing music and such, plus achievements for exploring and other stuff.

Cash shop wise, as far as I can tell it's almost entirely cosmetic stuff, I haven't really seen anything approaching p2w. The "Premium Club" monthly sub type thing is pretty nice to have though for all the bonuses it gives. Also when you design custom items/clothing you can put them up on the design shop for Merets (the cash shop currency) so if people actually buy it can actually be a decent source for Merets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Xun posted:

Game is extremely cute, and its really a pretty full featured MMO. It's got better community features than some paid MMOs, and it is perfectly fine to pick up and play for a bit and drop and come back, that's the primary draw of a F2P game.

There's no P2W pressure that I've felt yet, beyond the shop tab popping up on initial login to try to seduce you into buying a piece of cosmetic stuff on sale. Anything I've wanted to do I've been able to do with Mesos alone with no real problems, the biggest thing is getting levelled up (fairly painless process actually) so you can get a good flow of Mesos going.

When Wednesday rolls around and founders access ends, you can download it and test it out, we're going to get a goon group going and try to see if we can build a core group of 30-40 goons who play the game. Who knows, it might take off and be a really good thing.

Got an idea for a thread title as well so chime in if you think this is ok/not ok

Maplestory 2: If you like slime and are lookin for a good time

orange juche fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Oct 5, 2018

• Locked thread