Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

this is a song about jerking off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOYZaiDZ7BM

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

lol iid never seen this video. now i truly understand

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

lol iid never seen this video. now i truly understand

muh heritage

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUFSB2plwzM

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

one time in the netherlands i stumbled onto a bluegrass festival and it was all these dutch people dressed up like theyre rednecks drinking expensive budweiser. also the bands were pretty bad. it was surreal

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

bluegrass festivals in the states are all people dressed like deadheads drinking beer after hotboxing on the drive

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

one time in the netherlands i stumbled onto a bluegrass festival and it was all these dutch people dressed up like theyre rednecks drinking expensive budweiser. also the bands were pretty bad. it was surreal

What is expensive budweiser?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

What is expensive budweiser?

regular budweiser that costs too much money because it's imported - akin to the time I paid close to $6 for a Corona in Mumbai in the mid-2000's

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

you'll pay 7 for a corona in manhattan

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Here, have a German country band covering an Outkast song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQVWXAlEUB8

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

SimonCat posted:

The Outkast song that is already a play on British guitar pop. :psyboom:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8pcVDN8vWQ

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
Cultural appropriation is what snooty black liberals from the UK make videos about when someone posts a meme on facebook which features a black person making a face.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=776-aB2WqdA

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

SimonCat posted:

Why would you post an example of American Cultural Imperialism in a thread about appropriation??? Look at those poor Germans. Their rightful culture, the culture of their fathers and their fathers' fathers, has been so thoroughly erased by the unending onslaught of American cultural exports that all they have left is a mishmash of american culture to cling to!

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

The only Europeans who can do consistently good rap are the French for some reason.

I will respect German dance music game though, they somehow seem to know how to do it "Germanly".
Of this I cannot say the same for the Brits.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TowcElmyek

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

SimonCat posted:

Oh my god, they say, "hey jah." :kimchi:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

whole lotta extinct cultures out there wishin theyd been appropriated

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
op, cultural appropriation is when elements of an oppressed minority culture are decontextualized, commodified, and sold by their oppressors, while the capitalist class continues to exploit them.

so like rock and roll being appropriated from black culture is because white capitalists copied it and enriched themselves from black music while claiming it as their own.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

pls no

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

bluegrass festivals in the states are all people dressed like deadheads drinking beer after hotboxing on the drive

why do you think they call it 'blew grass' :thunk:

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
who are the ultimate cultural appropriators? cargo cults.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
holy poo poo

piss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUosAGDM8Sg

e: Also,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKvPzL1NSSI

frankenfreak has issued a correction as of 07:24 on May 11, 2018

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

thread is full of video proof that cultural appropriation loving owns

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Grape posted:

The only Europeans who can do consistently good rap are the French for some reason.

I will respect German dance music game though, they somehow seem to know how to do it "Germanly".
Of this I cannot say the same for the Brits.

This is so loving wrong, Britain is the only good European country for music. France and Germany are easily the loving worst though, genuinely terrible.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Wheeee posted:

thread is full of video proof that cultural appropriation loving owns

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Handsomely outfitted in a ceremonial headdress and fringed "leather" robe, this doggone adorable Dachshund chief "pawses" to bark up some fun in the Wild West! Now you can meet this high-spirited cutie with the Chief Barks a Lot Figurine, a Native American-inspired Dachshund figurine available in a limited edition, exclusively from The Hamilton Collection. This Doxie dog figurine is ready to share his eternally wise and loyal spirit.

A "ruff" and tough Doxie of the Wild West, this adorable pup is too cute to resist! Superbly handcrafted, this figurine boasts lots of hand-painted details - from his noble expression that conveys his honor and respect, to his colorful tribal headdress with its finely sculpted feathers that impart his status as the "big dog" of the prairie! This precious dog won trust as keeper of secrets from the spirit world, and soon he may just win over your heart. However, fierce demand is expected, so don't wait, order now!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Natives ate dogs.

Rushi
Jun 2, 2003

by Smythe
like imagine how offended an american would be if someone else shot up a school

thats cultural appropriation

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Instant Sunrise posted:

op, cultural appropriation is when elements of an oppressed minority culture are decontextualized, commodified, and sold by their oppressors, while the capitalist class continues to exploit them.

so like rock and roll being appropriated from black culture is because white capitalists copied it and enriched themselves from black music while claiming it as their own.

too late, OP came in thinking "its a dumb thing libs yell about" and picked the quote that said that and left

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

op was right

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Instant Sunrise posted:

but the white rock and roll artists weren't capitalists. and this definition doesn't work for the PF Chang man. and nobody knows what it means for white capitalists to "claim rock and roll as their own."

it's a dumb bad unhelpful concept

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

There's certainly circumstances where appropriation can be harmful, but you'll almost always be able to identify and explain them without needing use the term. It's useful as an academic framework for discussion but not so much for drive by callouts on Twitter.

magnavox space odyssey
Jan 22, 2016

nopantsjack posted:

too late, OP came in thinking "its a dumb thing libs yell about" and picked the quote that said that and left

I am still here and was planning on asking that guy how this differs from capitalism commodifying all culture (other than it not being fair to the original black artists).

Thinking on it, black artists not getting money for their songs while white artists do (for the same style of songs/even same songs, really) would prevent black people from ever being accepted/rising in societal standing. But I do not see what that has to do with cultural appropriation, as it seems to just be racism. Or is cultural appropriation specifically about marginalized people being prevented from profiting off their own culture?

I do think libs are stupid, though.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

libs ARE dumb, op

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

capitalism by it’s inherent nature commodifies culture, but minority cultures have the double whammy of being commodified and sold for profit to enrich the oppressors while continuing to be exploited.

so you have contradictions like native americans being forced into residential schools to erase their own culture while at the same time you have white people selling this decontextualized image of native americans as a halloween costume or coachella outfit, when something like a feathered headdress is the native american equivalent of the congressional medal of honor.

that contradiction is at the heart of cultural appropriation discourse: “it’s not okay for you to have this culture, but it is okay for me to take your culture and sell it for a profit.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

magnavox space odyssey posted:

Or is cultural appropriation specifically about marginalized people being prevented from profiting off their own culture?

bingo.

• Locked thread