Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The author is dumb because they failed to recognize that black nationalism reflects every othet kind if nationalism in both intent and effect - concerns over 'purity' are and have always been rooted in reactionary politics.

Reactionary Islam including ISIS and Al qaeda got their start in moral panics over western music/culture 'invading' them, and the hyper reactionary breed of politics they advocate stems from a desire to retain purity by 'finding ones roots'.

But such exercises are always flights of fancy, because people don't have roots, because they're aren't plants, stuck in one place forever. They are free to move wherever they want and limits only exist if they want them to. Reactionary politics cannot conceit that truth, and so creates a fallicious stagnant history to justify itself.

It should be of no surprise that such reactionary tendencies can exist in every society and every peoples. And it should be seen for what it is: trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i couldn't read this because she's not writing in english

magnavox space odyssey
Jan 22, 2016

article on the internet (no jokes this thread has never been funny) posted:

One thing Zizek is unequivocal about here is that the terms of these struggles around identity politics and secondary contradictions must be set by these communities themselves. Later in the polemic, he refers to the famous encounter between Malcolm X and the sympathetic white female student in which Malcolm suggests that white liberals “should first accept that black liberation should be the work of the blacks themselves, not something bestowed on them as a gift by the good white liberals.” White liberals can only join the black struggle on the terms set by black revolutionaries themselves.

Interestingly enough, Zizek does not delve further into the full context from which the revolutionary thinking of his hero Malcolm X was born. Unlike other black nationalists, Malcolm X was not obsessed with searching for precolonial African roots. Rather, as Zizek states, Malcom X saw the opportunity afforded by the traumatic African-American history of slavery, forcible dislocation and the involuntary erasure of culture and the past, as an opening to the freedom to invent a new universal identity. This is precisely the meaning of his newly iconic last name (X). As he says to Tavis Smiley in an interview,

Slavoj Zizek posted:

Because of this Malcolm X … wasn’t playing the Hollywood game, Roots. You remember that stupid TV series? The greatest honor for you blacks’ desire is to find some tribe in Africa. Oh, I’m from there. No. Of course, Malcolm X meant by the brutality of white men, being enslaved, we were deprived of our roots and so on.

But he wrote about it. He says, but this X paradoxically opens up a new freedom for us, all that white people want to be, not primitive tribal, but universal, creating their own space. We, black people, have a unique chance not to become, not to return to our particular [roots], to be more universal, emancipated than white people themselves. You see, this is the important thing for me.

With all due respect, sir, but you seem to have no idea what you're talking about. Black nationalism is not a reactionary movement.

magnavox space odyssey
Jan 22, 2016

get that OUT of my face posted:

i couldn't read this because she's not writing in english

White intellectuals are hypocrites because they accuse minorities of thinking there is something inherent to being a black person or whatever (think in the sense of original sin but cooler, an "essence" that you can't get rid of) when they themselves encourage this by thinking there is some essence to being black that can then be used to spice up their boring white middle class lives.

Or something like that, it's very American.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

I would question the role of the "young white radical" and the "white intellectual" here. If I was to identify the critic of essentialism here, it wouldn't be someone that fit either of those descriptions, but someone like Adolph Reed. Without those figures, who seem to take on their own role as the Other, the whole apparatus turns in on itself and asks how radical a critique of cultural appropriation can really be.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Lastgirl posted:

sir this is a dead comedy forum

:justpost:

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
cultural appropriation is how you can stretch "racism is bad" into a 12000 word medium article

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

Is rickys mlk jr shirt cultural appropriation?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

posting good is cultural appropriation of other subforums

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
its good, unless its bad

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

viral spiral posted:

What about a black sushi chef?

Virtually every single chef in my city (Milan, Italy), sushi or otherwise, is Indian. No idea why but seemingly every time you peek into a kitchen, it's a couple subcontinent guys, be it a sushi restaurant or a cafeteria or an old school tavern or American-style bakery or Mexican restaurant or etc. This is OK

magnavox space odyssey posted:

White intellectuals are hypocrites because they accuse minorities of thinking there is something inherent to being a black person or whatever (think in the sense of original sin but cooler, an "essence" that you can't get rid of) when they themselves encourage this by thinking there is some essence to being black that can then be used to spice up their boring white middle class lives.

Is this true, though?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

hackbunny posted:

Is this true, though?

i assume bell hooks has done some research and has some experience in the matter

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i was searching someone's twitter timeline for hot takes and saw a retweet from someone saying that the catholic-themed dresses at the met gala weren't cultural appropriation. in her mind, the term only applies if someone with power in society (a white person, usually) coopts anything from a less privileged culture. that's a kind of definition i don't appreciate

hackbunny posted:

Virtually every single chef in my city (Milan, Italy), sushi or otherwise, is Indian. No idea why but seemingly every time you peek into a kitchen, it's a couple subcontinent guys, be it a sushi restaurant or a cafeteria or an old school tavern or American-style bakery or Mexican restaurant or etc. This is OK
most of the people who make sushi in america are chinese, which makes sense because there are only one million people of japanese descent here and somebody's gotta make it

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

in her mind, the term only applies if someone with power in society (a white person, usually) coopts anything from a less privileged culture. that's a kind of definition i don't appreciate

That's literally the definition.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

That's literally the definition.
when that definition is applied as broadly as it is by certain people, that's what makes me want them to step back a bit. i'm not appropriating mexican culture by making burritos, i'm making a yummy meal

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Al! posted:

i assume bell hooks has done some research and has some experience in the matter

What about forums poster and hot take server magnavox space odyssey?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

when that definition is applied as broadly as it is by certain people, that's what makes me want them to step back a bit. i'm not appropriating mexican culture by making burritos, i'm making a yummy meal

this is white fragility in a nutshell, imo

who loving cares if someone thinks you're doing something potentially problematic, just roll with it instead of getting personally offended and announcing to the whole world that you don't believe in their definition

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
The only real cultural appropriation is when non-white people have bad opinions online.

That's our sacred rite of manhood, assholes.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

RaySmuckles posted:

swapping class for race, punk was appropriated too.

Punk wasn't invented by working class Brits lol.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Main Paineframe posted:

who loving cares if someone thinks you're doing something potentially problematic, just roll with it instead of getting personally offended and announcing to the whole world that you don't believe in their definition
The concept itself is stupid if it adds melodrama to mundane activities.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Main Paineframe posted:

this is bizarre as hell though. you're saying that if someone is criticizing your behavior, it's better to accept the criticism as legitimate but ignore it because it's inconvenient.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

With all due respect, sir, but you seem to have no idea what you're talking about. Black nationalism is not a reactionary movement.
Contemporary black nationalism does not engage in the same creation of the universal subject. In fact the entire point underlying it, is that the trauma of oppression has created a specific, unapproachable existence. The common refrain is that white people, even sympathetic whites, will "never understand what it means to be black". That's not a universal subject, thats a 'rooted' one.

magnavox space odyssey
Jan 22, 2016

Main Paineframe posted:

Well, I think people want to live their lives according to what they think is right. And if someone tells them something is potentially problematic then they probably are going to seek out why and how and what they should do about it. Perhaps also ask what it is and what they can do, potentially. At least IMO.

Is anyone getting personally offended over this?

hackbunny posted:

What about forums poster and hot take server magnavox space odyssey?

I can answer this question for him: I have neither the experience or the knowledge of that author that was quoted. Hope this answers the question :)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

tractor fanatic posted:

this is bizarre as hell though. you're saying that if someone is criticizing your behavior, it's better to accept the criticism as legitimate but ignore it because it's inconvenient.

even if the criticism is wrong, it's okay to just let people be wrong rather than get super offended about it and declare that it can't possibly be true

accept it as a difference of opinion, rather than going on an angry rant about how someone's concerns can't possibly exist

if a black guy tells me something is racist, i'm not going to go "nuh-uh". even if i think it's not racist and that he's full of poo poo, i don't need to have my way about loving everything. i can allow other people's opinions to exist unchallenged, and the initial impulse to challenge it is born from the privileged existence I've lived

Well, I think people want to live their lives according to what they think is right. And if someone tells them something is potentially problematic then they probably are going to seek out why and how and what they should do about it. Perhaps also ask what it is and what they can do, potentially. At least IMO.

Is anyone getting personally offended over this?

the problem is that it's extremely similar to your average white person on the street who, when confronted with the fact that whatever he does consistently awards better results to whites than to everyone else, goes on an enraged meltdown about how structural racism doesn't exist. rather than accepting the possibility that they may possibly have had some relation to something that could potentially be called racism, they just get hyper defensive and deny that the type of racism in question even exists

i think there's a lot of bullshit out there surrounding "cultural appropriation", and i think the majority of people flinging the accusation have no loving idea what they're talking about. but to jump straight from that to "actually, not only does cultural appropriation not exist, but culture doesn't exist either and you're just trying to be a hyper-woke lib" sounds a lot like that same kind of kneejerk defensiveness response

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

so other people have the right to impose their lovely opinions on you to possible social detriment and its totally healthy to just eat their poo poo because standing up for yourself is super privileged

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Wheeee posted:

so other people have the right to impose their lovely opinions on you to possible social detriment and its totally healthy to just eat their poo poo because standing up for yourself is super privileged

oh no, someone might be mean to you on twitter

however will you survive

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
the best response to people being mean to you is to be mean back, until they stop, because you can't negotiate with bullies

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
I think it's a good idea for people to argue for ideas they think are right and argue against ideas they think are wrong because that is a big way we improve as a species. I think a whole bunch of people just nodding and accepting the information they're given without argument even if they disagree is a pathway to figurative damnation. I don't argue against cultural appropriation because it makes me mad, I argue against it because I believe I should argue against things I disagree with.

I mean loving seriously. If a black person tells you something is racist, you disagree, but you say nothing, it's actually a disservice to them. Why? Because you didn't actually get their point. Because you didn't share your objections you didn't give the other person the opportunity to address them. So you still have them. One or both of you are wrong but neither of you get the opportunity to truly gain from the other person's insight. They go away thinking they convinced you but really all they did was have you pat them on the head and say good idea black person, I totally accept this information for it is my duty as a YT to listen to you.

It's not helpful. It's just intellectual laziness and social cowardice.

Futuresight has issued a correction as of 05:03 on May 13, 2018

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
cultural appropriation wouldn't even be an issue if it hadn't been reframed from asking "does doing this make me a rude oval office?"

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
broke: defending your actions and opinions
woke: accepting you’re a huge piece of poo poo and not giving a gently caress

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
it really gives the game away when dipshits pushing this stuff basically end up arguing 'even when i'm wrong, i still get to insult and demean you for no reason, and you better TAKE IT because otherwise you're a SHITLORD', it's the most transparent rationalization of harassment & bullying that i've ever seen.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Armond Poopson
Apr 29, 2008

lets say you see a pit bull wandering around a supermarket parking lot no leash just slobbering everywhere following kids aroudn and when it stops to lick a big old sore on its hindquarters you notice its balls are full and juicy. this bad boy isn't even fixed... you start looking around for its owner and what the hell its some white guy with a beard!

that. is. not. cool.

Armond Poopson has issued a correction as of 05:26 on May 13, 2018

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Main Paineframe posted:

if a black guy tells me something is racist, i'm not going to go "nuh-uh". even if i think it's not racist and that he's full of poo poo, i don't need to have my way about loving everything. i can allow other people's opinions to exist unchallenged, and the initial impulse to challenge it is born from the privileged existence I've lived

lol god forbid you have a conversation about it

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Ok I have an answer to the OP. Thanks beer.

Cultural markers are a signifier of in group/ out group dynamics. Recognized minority populations wield a certain amount of power due to their recognized minority status. This is not an equitable power, but it is some limited form of power. Like "me too" or, more vulgarly, "playing the race card". Systemic forces overwhelming prevail, but the assertion of minority status to systemic inequality is a power that can be wielded in individual circumstances. The ingress of herirarchical power structures into minority cultures degrades in group/ out group signifiers and thus weakens the limited individual power of assertion of minority status and thus erodes a source of power. That's cultural appropriation.

Maybe? I dunno. Who cares.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

rudatron posted:

it really gives the game away when dipshits pushing this stuff basically end up arguing 'even when i'm wrong, i still get to insult and demean you for no reason, and you better TAKE IT because otherwise you're a SHITLORD', it's the most transparent rationalization of harassment & bullying that i've ever seen.

-posted from locker #420

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

rudatron posted:

thank you for very concisely demonstrating my point

the fact that you think someone talking about cultural appropriation is equivalent to them personally insulting you, demeaning you, bullying you, harassing you, and calling you a huge piece of poo poo is basically the definition of white fragility

merely suggesting that someone is insufficiently woke is apparently the most potent personal attack in all existence, and draws an equally visceral response

Futuresight posted:

I think it's a good idea for people to argue for ideas they think are right and argue against ideas they think are wrong because that is a big way we improve as a species. I think a whole bunch of people just nodding and accepting the information they're given without argument even if they disagree is a pathway to figurative damnation. I don't argue against cultural appropriation because it makes me mad, I argue against it because I believe I should argue against things I disagree with.

I mean loving seriously. If a black person tells you something is racist, you disagree, but you say nothing, it's actually a disservice to them. Why? Because you didn't actually get their point. Because you didn't share your objections you didn't give the other person the opportunity to address them. So you still have them. One or both of you are wrong but neither of you get the opportunity to truly gain from the other person's insight. They go away thinking they convinced you but really all they did was have you pat them on the head and say good idea black person, I totally accept this information for it is my duty as a YT to listen to you.

It's not helpful. It's just intellectual laziness and social cowardice.

"is X offensive to me" is inherently a personal, subjective question. it's not a matter of right or wrong, it's a matter of feelings and respect. it's not really up for argument. if someone says that something is offensive to them, that's just how they feel about it, and you can't really say that's wrong (unless they're a loving Nazi, white supremacist, or some other flavor of racial murder fetishist or genocide advocate). instead of trying to demand that they justify their feelings with beep-boop logic, why not take a minute to think about how this drive to argue everything you disagree with might interact with the well-known and well-documented tendency for non-white and non-male voices to be drowned out in pretty much every setting

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Main Paineframe posted:

"is X offensive to me" is inherently a personal, subjective question. it's not a matter of right or wrong, it's a matter of feelings and respect. it's not really up for argument. if someone says that something is offensive to them, that's just how they feel about it, and you can't really say that's wrong (unless they're a loving Nazi, white supremacist, or some other flavor of racial murder fetishist or genocide advocate). instead of trying to demand that they justify their feelings with beep-boop logic, why not take a minute to think about how this drive to argue everything you disagree with might interact with the well-known and well-documented tendency for non-white and non-male voices to be drowned out in pretty much every setting

yeah engaging someone in conversation is actually drowning out their voice, great point

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Main Paineframe posted:

thank you for very concisely demonstrating my point

the fact that you think someone talking about cultural appropriation is equivalent to them personally insulting you, demeaning you, bullying you, harassing you, and calling you a huge piece of poo poo is basically the definition of white fragility

merely suggesting that someone is insufficiently woke is apparently the most potent personal attack in all existence, and draws an equally visceral response
it's not at all strange or unnatural to take offense when people insult you, and pathologizing that negative reaction as 'white fragility' is a way to otherize a completely predictable result.

like this poo poo:

Main Paineframe posted:

oh no, someone might be mean to you on twitter

however will you survive
wouldn't fly if we were talking about microaggressions (that the onus is on person on the receiving end to ignore directed hostility, and not on the other party to not do it), but you feel free to use it yourself because you're a hypocrite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Main Paineframe posted:

"is X offensive to me" is inherently a personal, subjective question. it's not a matter of right or wrong, it's a matter of feelings and respect. it's not really up for argument. if someone says that something is offensive to them, that's just how they feel about it, and you can't really say that's wrong

True. But what you said, and what I was replying to is:

Main Paineframe posted:

if a black guy tells me something is racist

Which is very different. The words "to me" change everything, you can't just throw them on and pretend like you're making the same argument.

And obviously it changes based on circumstance. But if you are having a conversation with someone you should have an actual conversation. On these boards I'm either going to decide I don't give enough of a gently caress to argue or I'm going to argue against things I don't agree with. I'm never going to decide not to argue out of respect, because I don't believe it's a respectful thing to do. There's a reason everyone on the planet will say "got it?" or "any questions?" or some variation after they'd taught you something. If you're trying to teach someone something you want them to bring up misunderstandings or things they don't get so you can fix them. Teaching someone a political/social concept should be the same if your purpose it to genuinely convince them.

EDIT: Oh, just realised this:

quote:

Nope. People argue with and challenge people all the loving time and some of the most uneven power dynamics contain argument from the lower person (children arguing with parents/teachers/etc). The ability to not care, to have someone give you an opinion and not even feel the need to argue your own is the thing you learned from privilege. It is the knowledge that regardless of what the other person thinks it won't affect you that allows you to not care what others think. A person of another race is dictating to you how people of your race should act and you don't care because you know it doesn't loving matter what that person thinks because your side is the one with the actual power.

Futuresight has issued a correction as of 07:31 on May 13, 2018

• Locked thread