Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

magnavox space odyssey posted:

I am still here and was planning on asking that guy how this differs from capitalism commodifying all culture (other than it not being fair to the original black artists).

Thinking on it, black artists not getting money for their songs while white artists do (for the same style of songs/even same songs, really) would prevent black people from ever being accepted/rising in societal standing. But I do not see what that has to do with cultural appropriation, as it seems to just be racism. Or is cultural appropriation specifically about marginalized people being prevented from profiting off their own culture?

I do think libs are stupid, though.

It's not necessarily about profit. The best way, I think, to really get a grasp on cultural appropriation is to check out the book "The Beauty of the Primitive: Shamanism in the Western Imagination" by Andrei Znamenski and see it in action.

Cultural appropriation also undercuts the ability of the people of that culture to self-define it. If you are in most countries, for example, and see a notice about a "Sufi" group, it's mostly gonna be a suburban person yammering about crystals and reiki and weed. They will not know what salat is (lol), they won't give zakat, if they are lucky they might be able to remember the name Ali but won't know why he is significant and definitely won't be able to trace their practices back to him.

But those white suburban people have more cultural power than the actual Sufi, so eventually their definition of Sufism becomes the norm and actual Sufism from cultures that practice it becomes the extreme minority. In some cases (like the examples from the Znamenski book), this eventually leads to suppression of the original cultural practices and re-introduction of the suburban version at a later time, robbing a group of their culture and then replacing it with the hippy version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread