Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Dr. Fetus posted:

OFS, no! Don't do this to yourself! You can still go back! Back to Dragon Quest 8!

it's in the archives now, it's too late
it's terrible pokemon fangames forever more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I am ready for more pain. Hit me OFS please.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

This is horrifying. Why would anyone make this?

quote:

A more mature storyline-Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokémon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokémon could pose. These topics are not just thrown in to be edgy, either, they are treated with the respect such a subject deserves.

Oh. This bullshit. The creators haven't grown up enough to realize that mature does not mean grimdark edgelord writing like this.

A mature story is mature by having a deeper and more complex story than than some lighter "kids" story. There may be dark elements to it, but those serve to dive deeper into a character, by showing what they would do under those conditions. You have to have a reason why a story is dark - being dark for the sake of being dark is not more mature.

You don't even need a story to be dark to be mature, either. Let's look at Pokémon Black and White: the first time you see team Plasma, they are doing a rally that questions if catching Pokémon and having them fight for you is ethical - something far more mature than the bare bones plots of the previous generations. While you soon see that they are actually jerks who would kick a Munna, that makes it clear that this viewpoint is shown to not be for the player character, but for N, their main rival. You fight him again and again, with him eventually realizing that he could be wrong, so sets everything up to have a final showdown with you, with each of you being recognized as a Hero by one of the dragons, to see if he really is correct with his viewpoint. Nothing about that game is dark or edgy, yet it still has a more mature story than what we have seen with this game.

In short, this game is written by people who don't know what a mature story actually is. Tear this game apart, OFS.

MonstrousMouse
Apr 15, 2014
Is this game a Shadow the Hedgehog-style, trying-too-hard-to-be-taken-seriously edgefest, or a 4chan-style, joke-about-school-shootings edgefest? Because the former can be charming in its earnestness, even if the result is a mess. The latter...not so much. I'm asking because so far (so far) the game looks like the former, but everyone's reacting like it's the Antichrist in Pokemon fangame form.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Commander Keene posted:

Isn't this the Pokemon fangame where if you managed to find a way around their "brilliantly designed" puzzle bosses by doing anything they didn't specifically intend for you to do they removed the Pokemon that could do it?

Yes, yes it is. It was brought up in the previous LP. They would patch the game to replace Pokémon that could feasibly fight gyms/bosses head-on with random trash Pokémon that nobody would use outside of gimmicks or a Nuzlocke.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

MonstrousMouse posted:

Is this game a Shadow the Hedgehog-style, trying-too-hard-to-be-taken-seriously edgefest, or a 4chan-style, joke-about-school-shootings edgefest? Because the former can be charming in its earnestness, even if the result is a mess. The latter...not so much. I'm asking because so far (so far) the game looks like the former, but everyone's reacting like it's the Antichrist in Pokemon fangame form.

Ostensibly the former, ends up just feeling like the latter anyway.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
A+ thread tag though

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Zanzibar Ham posted:

That sounds so extreme in its pettiness I'd expect to see it in some kinda meta-out-smart-the-"creator" kinda game.

Schubalts posted:

Yes, yes it is. It was brought up in the previous LP. They would patch the game to replace Pokémon that could feasibly fight gyms/bosses head-on with random trash Pokémon that nobody would use outside of gimmicks or a Nuzlocke.
Yeah, I went digging through that old thread for that conversation we had about the FF11 boss Absolute Virtue, where we decided that the fuckery Square Enix put the playerbase through with that one was the same kind that the Reborn devs are up to. It might have taken less time if I hadn't misremembered its name as Absolute Justice.

Seriously, patching out your own intended solution to a boss out after releasing a video showing said solution... :psyduck:

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I'm wondering if this mechanic will eventually lead to your character being able to date / have sex with in game characters.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Nah, it's just later in the game the evil Dragon(-pokemon) will kidnap whoever you're most friendly with, but since just talking to people raises your relationship it'll probably end up being a Pokemon Center (or whatever Reborn's equivalent is) employee.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
That'd explain why the variable exists. There's still time for the devs to include this as a new mature theme which totally isn't thrown in to be edgy.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Your bestie will throw you pokeballs that you can spin kick into pokemon's faces and critical catch them.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

FeyerbrandX posted:

Your bestie will throw you pokeballs that you can spin kick into pokemon's faces and critical catch them.

That's far too good of an idea for Reborn to do it.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Nah, it's just later in the game the evil Dragon(-pokemon) will kidnap whoever you're most friendly with, but since just talking to people raises your relationship it'll probably end up being a Pokemon Center (or whatever Reborn's equivalent is) employee.

salamance's dogma

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

AriadneThread posted:

salamance's dogma

Set yourself on fire and leap on pokemon to catch them.

This will backfire if you attempt to do this to a Fire-type.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Well, I'm glad someone is doing it, OFS we salute you. I will say the last LP managed to apparently make it all the way onto the Reborn forums, in which they completely missed the point. Welp, let's strap ourselves in, this is going to be a trip...

EDIT: To almost the entire collection, I think Pokemon Fangames and Fan Hacks are loving terrible, it's basically a 99% ratio of terrible with a 1% of quality. Part of that has to do with how easy Pokemon hacking/game development is. But the other has to do with people really lacking a fundamental understanding of Design, Game design, UX design, Plot design, everything. A quick methodology I have for judging fan projects is a very simple question "Would I buy this?" Too often fan projects take solace that they are just that, fan projects, so it doesn't matter what they do, they aren't going to make money anyway, so it's not like this is professional.

Unfortunately, that produces a mindset in which you write amateurishly, produce bad art, poor music, and don't balance the game around a theoretical customer. It produces a mindset of wank instead, lacking focus and polish.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 11, 2018

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Okay, we've just lead off with a terrible act of violence in which dozens died in an explosion. What's the follow-up? Aha: we'll have a perky cheerleader show up and comment on how cool explosions are!

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Oh man this is gonna be a worse trip than Pokemon Uranium isn't it? I can't wait.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp

megane posted:

Okay, we've just lead off with a terrible act of violence in which dozens died in an explosion. What's the follow-up? Aha: we'll have a perky cheerleader show up and comment on how cool explosions are!

You only take issue with this because you have a sense of tone and tact, neither of which are familiar to this game.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I have a high tolerance for bullshit Pokemon fanhacks.
But I noped out of this game.
Because holy poo poo.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Oh boy, it's this again! :wooper:

The last version of the game LPed seemed openly spiteful towards the player, and given that it apparently only got worse as versions were made, well... Godspeed, OFS you crazy bastard.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Should've been "Suicide and terrorism? What trubbish."

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Oh, this is going to be good. I can't wait to see more of this dreck. All I know of this game is what was shown and discussed in the Bydoless LP.

(I've been lurking for a while, but I have an account now so I can finally comment! This may or may not be a good thing.)

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

ChaseSP posted:

Oh man this is gonna be a worse trip than Pokemon Uranium isn't it? I can't wait.

It's not just tonally worse, oh no. From what I remember of the last thread, the devs of this game were focused on strong-arming you into puzzling out the "correct" way to defeat the bosses, and ONLY that way.

...In a series that typically rewards and encourages creativity in single-player.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Regalingualius posted:

It's not just tonally worse, oh no. From what I remember of the last thread, the devs of this game were focused on strong-arming you into puzzling out the "correct" way to defeat the bosses, and ONLY that way.

...In a series that typically rewards and encourages creativity in single-player.

As I said, that LP made it to the Reborn forums, followed up by a bunch of smug dipshits going like "I can't believe they expected the game to just hand them a victory, Can't wait until they reach the rest of the game." Or "Well I managed to beat the game with a single type of pokemon, so these SCRUBS are just weak."

In short, the most stuck up, anal, dickheads. "What, are they upset they didn't get given a Garchomp at the start of the game to hold their widdle hands?"

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I've spent a couple LP threads :psyduck:ing at the terrible mechanical construction of most RPGM games, but aside from a couple things that break what I'd call best practices, (i.e. using a character as a primary event controller for a cutscene), this one actually seems to be fairly competent from a technical standpoint...

Which somehow makes everything else even worse. :cripes:

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
A pokemon fan game that opens with a terrorist attack, sex joke, and police brutality.

Needs more Drakengard levels of edgy in my opinion.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Since we had the option of Gen VII starters, now I'm expecting even more hostile encounter design out of this game.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Regalingualius posted:

So we're playing Pokemon 1.3?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Here we here we here we loving go!

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Oh.

Oh no.

:allears:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Oh god here we go again. I was so sad when the last LP went belly-up. OFS has yet to even hint at the full garbage of this garbage game's garbage.

(I did a write-up of Absolute Virtue in the last LP. It bad)

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Oh boy it's your very own Pokemon journey, featuring terrorism, assholes, and a walking sexual harassment suit!

OFS you know you really don't have to do this to yourself :ohdear:

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Does it really need saying?
Edgy Pokémon Fanhacks 101: Show how "mature" it is by killing the heck out of people right away and saying poo poo and gently caress like a dang badass.

I played a shitload of Pokémon Insurgence (prior to the update that actually completed the game) and... boy, was there a lot of this. Swap out blatant terrorism with death cults and you have Insurgence.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

this is gonna be good

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ricdesi posted:

Edgy Pokémon Fanhacks 101: Show how "mature" it is by killing the heck out of people right away and saying poo poo and gently caress like a dang badass.

I played a shitload of Pokémon Insurgence (prior to the update that actually completed the game) and... boy, was there a lot of this. Swap out blatant terrorism with death cults and you have Insurgence.

Don't forget it treats such a matter respectfully by having a high school cheerleader come over and be lolwacky about how cool explosions are.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tenebrais posted:

This might be the same one, it had an aborted LP last year.

There's some neat little QOL ideas in what we've seen so far. Shame about all the bigger ideas.

Oh, then maybe. Still hosed up though, haha

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Oh what the gently caress is this?

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Sydin posted:

Oh what the gently caress is this?

A terrible thing. You might even say it's... something aw- I can't finish that joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Well, here we go again.

Somehow, I didn't pick up that this was RPGmaker before.