Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
:stare: What the hell did I click on?

...tell me more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

I thoroughly enjoyed the Uranium LP when it got uploaded to the archives. Just seeing the first update is already promising, but the rest of the thread's comments have got me thoroughly looking forward to seeing how bad this is. Including my least favorite/most hilarious pet peeve with hard hacks or whatever - freaking out and changing things because someone beat it too easily or the unintended way.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Aw, I kind of preferred Enoby's ridiculously massive mane of hair but I mean, I'm not reading this LP because of how beautiful the game is.

Cheers, I was hoping to see more of this game after the previous LP petered out.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 08:28 on May 12, 2018

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Does it really need saying?

Leal posted:

Don't forget it treats such a matter respectfully by having a high school cheerleader come over and be lolwacky about how cool explosions are.

Dude! You can't go mocking the KWERKY characters. They're just too xXxRANDOMxXx for our simple minds to comprehend.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ricdesi posted:

Edgy Pokémon Fanhacks 101: Show how "mature" it is by killing the heck out of people right away and saying poo poo and gently caress like a dang badass.

I played a shitload of Pokémon Insurgence (prior to the update that actually completed the game) and... boy, was there a lot of this. Swap out blatant terrorism with death cults and you have Insurgence.

I never really played much of Insurgence but it at least has a switch at the beginning to toggle the edgelord levels so that's kinda better at least

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Oh boy. I feel like we're going to hit Peak Tumblr quite quickly here. Possibly as part of a grim fusion with Myspace Circa 2005.

raisamike3
Oct 13, 2012
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy
Seeing this again brings back such wonderful memories. All of them terrible.
This game is poo poo and I hope you bring drag it all out into the light for all to see.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Oh boy. I feel like we're going to hit Peak Tumblr quite quickly here. Possibly as part of a grim fusion with Myspace Circa 2005.
I'm not sure how you're getting "peak Tumblr" out of a couple more gender options and then everything else, but I'd agree with the Myspace part.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

I'm not sure how you're getting "peak Tumblr" out of a couple more gender options and then everything else, but I'd agree with the Myspace part.

Just wait for the "My boyfriend is this Mightyena" homage.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

PMush Perfect posted:

Shipping. I expect there to be shipping. Did you see the purple haired guy? He's only marginally better than J Akira.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
Oh god this is happening again?

:allears:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Shipping. I expect there to be shipping. Did you see the purple haired guy? He's only marginally better than J Akira.
Excellent username post combo.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

This might be the same one, it had an aborted LP last year.

There's some neat little QOL ideas in what we've seen so far. Shame about all the bigger ideas.
There's also Uranium starting with a nuclear meltdown at a power plant. I can't remember offhand whether that particular meltdown was a terrorist attack though.

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine

Quantum Toast posted:

There's also Uranium starting with a nuclear meltdown at a power plant. I can't remember offhand whether that particular meltdown was a terrorist attack though.

It was. If it's ever a question of "Is the answer to this question tasteless and/or dumb?" the answer is always yes in that game. And this one. Especially this one. :colbert:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I mean, we have a point with Cain, for winning that battle.

With how I played this game (like Uranium I am working off of a massive backlog), I believe he's tied with another character at 7 points for lead.

The relationship point system has no payoff in the current version, though. And it can't be a simple first-past-the-post because some of these points are wildly unbalanced: I can get at most 2 with Julia.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

quote:

Text: CAIN: Just got unlucky~ Don't take it too hard. I mean,

unless you're into that.

Cain please no.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
...wait, what?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Any idea what the relationship points are for?

First person to 10 starts calling themselves your significant other then gets killed in the finale by Team [Bad Terrorism Joke]?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I mean, we have a point with Cain, for winning that battle.

With how I played this game (like Uranium I am working off of a massive backlog), I believe he's tied with another character at 7 points for lead.

The relationship point system has no payoff in the current version, though. And it can't be a simple first-past-the-post because some of these points are wildly unbalanced: I can get at most 2 with Julia.

Is it like FF7, where Aeris starts with 20 more points than Tifa because of when she joins, or is it just completely arbitrary bullshit?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Azza Bamboo posted:

Cain please no.

I mean he's clearly into being beaten, given the relationship increase for doing so.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

PoptartsNinja posted:

Any idea what the relationship points are for?

First person to 10 starts calling themselves your significant other then gets killed in the finale by Team [Bad Terrorism Joke]?

We were talking about that a short while ago.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Nah, it's just later in the game the evil Dragon(-pokemon) will kidnap whoever you're most friendly with, but since just talking to people raises your relationship it'll probably end up being a Pokemon Center (or whatever Reborn's equivalent is) employee.

Personally I still believe (and worry) that the modders intend to include some kind of sex/relationship/dating mechanic in a future release.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Azza Bamboo posted:

We were talking about that a short while ago.

Oh, I see. I missed that. Thank you for answering my question.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I mean he's clearly into being beaten, given the relationship increase for doing so.

See Cain isn't just a super edgy biblical name that has ties to murder and ancient curses,

it also sounds like cane.

They really thought about this.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

I broke sequence a little to show the interrogation, but it's fine. It's a meanwhile in a series that traditionally doesn't do meanwhiles.

Anyway, Victoria tells us a bit about herself by dropping a lot of proper nouns.

At least she gives us a starter kit of pokeballs.

This is kind of useless because you can't even surf down waterfalls, the heck.

OST: RebornCenter.mp3

A low-intensity track to match the feeling of safety and relaxation a Pokemon center provides. Probably the least obnoxious techno beat of the entire soundtrack.

A leader for each type. All the Pokemon ever. An edgy mature storyline. Make it an MMORPG and Reborn sounds like every 12 year old's idea for their dream pokemon game that would totally rule.

Reborn serves as a case study for why those don't actually work in practice. Except the MMORPG part. That comes from all those attempted ones that just end up like Fire Red with 60000 people milling about route 1 instead of just you.

Just guess why the bad guy team is called Meteor.

You'll have to wait 60,000,000 hours to find out.

A battle in the center, I wonder how it'll g-

...Um

Thankfully the penalty for getting all your Pokemon KOed is really light, just some pocket change and you're sent to the last Pokemon Center you used.

Questionable design choices continue, as Reborn will make actually catching all the Pokemon ever unpleasantly random.

It's not difficulty, it's just annoying.

TVs in this game have five programs. This is News, and it's hosted by the 2nd worst character in the game.

To compare, Cain is the 7th.

The news tells you either what you just did, or what you're doing next. This updates each badge.

This is my shoutout to my buddy NIck. I can edit everything about this game. For the most part, I just choose not to.

...For the most part.

Keep level-reducing in mind, it's relevant in 6 pictures.

Near the entrance is a fisherman selling something.

Oh thank God, A Magikarp would be a huge benefi-

...Welp.

Thus begins a virtual odyssey to get a fish.

Right outside is another mandatory thing to look at.

It introduces a central gimmick of Reborn by lying to you about how it works.

That sounds a lot harsher than I meant.

It's level 21 everything starts disobeying us.

Reborn has a soft level cap, because anything that exceeds our current allowed level becomes disobedient and will waste turns doing garbage. Even things we catch ourselves.

The smallest number we can see is the current cap, so we can have things up to level 20. At level 21 they instantly go insane. The game is designed with this cap in mind, every boss-type encounter is rubbing up against the current cap for a while. Then they exceed it because gently caress you.

This grass works like grass in any other Pokemon game, except Reborn tries to make them sparce because I don't loving know, everyone else fills in their goddamn rectangles so I don't have to run back and forth as much.

You knew this would happen, you put multiple 5% and 1% encounters in the game. I looked. The level cap I can understand, at least from the perspective of maintaining difficulty. This is just inconvenient.

Speaking of inconvenient, battle animations. Can't stand 'em when my main Pokemon has Speed Boost triggering every turn.

OST: Battle- Wild.mp3
...Eh.

OFSelects: Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga: Hunting
Far be it from me to blame any composer for not being Shoji Meguro, but, could you be a bit less muzak and more Shoji Meguro?

My choice of nicknames are part ones I made, part ones people suggested. None of them are good or memorable.

how do you run you're a noodle

I guess this one's important, Diamond Joe is going to be pretty important.

Oh really? Let me introduce one:

Bidoof's hidden ability, Moody, increases a stat by two stages and lowers a different stat by one at the end of turn, like Speed Boost, but randomly Diamond Joe's attack stat can double like this. Moody hits evasion too, so he can pull some real lovely moves with it. I love it.

OST: Battle- Trainer.mp3

First of three generic trainer battle themes. Meh.

OFSelects: Manicorn - Rescue

I think by linking this I'm quadrupling Manicorn's audience.

At least six of you will click on this.

Don't play a guessing game asking which sprites from the offical games were hacked into these new ones. You'll probably raise your blood pressure.

The gently caress is a doxy

...Oh, it's still on Shift, I didn't notice because the doxy is the first trainer to have two pokemon. Playing on Set may be a major contributor to why I want to eat my own legs but I will not compromise my principles.

Reborn includes a lot, and I mean a lot of hidden items. The issue is nothing says you should be checking every loving rock, and the item finder isn't obtained until, like, the sixth badge.

Seriously, you'll miss a lot of helpful consumables and powerful held items that way.

Give this guy change three times. Don't mind my globs of cash, I need some creature comforts to survive this hellish world.

He would act as an impenetrable barrier otherwise.

Extremely minor hazards acting as impenetrable barriers is a running theme.

Past him in a house is a cat with shell shock.

Living next to this, I can see why. We can't actually go here, yet, we need to trigger an arbitrary event flag somewhere else in Peridot Ward so that we can be told that there's no time for a gym battle and to do something else.

Did you get all that?

Good.

I didn't.

Around the corner are cops loudly discussing elements of the capture.

Here's a bear that runs, it goes to random spots a random number of times and I can't be assed to go through so much effort foe something weaker than legendary hero Joe Bidoon.

Back over somewhere else, cops tell us no, we can't go to a place.

These cops will be here until our guys are about level 30.

Over here are some jerks bothering a critter. Can't stand for that, it's my critter to bother.

This game has a lot of double battles. The gym leaders are a mix of singles and doubles, and there are partner battles a plenty. It pays off to prepare for them.

Though in this case, it's getting rid of the Fomantis then hoping the mudbray eventually falls over.

This can randomly be a Zigzagoon or a Pachirisu. Zigzagoon is much more valuable to me.

Pickup is valuable this early on when we don't have much of anything, and it can hit some high-level consumables.

These cops prevent us from going this way. We're stuck in Peridot and Opal wards.

They're all gems, you see.

Interviews are the second program. They're also hosted by Gossip Gardevior. They're unilaterally awful.

Gossip Gardevoir is an actual Gardevoir, the Pokemon, btw.

"annoying, especially awkward, up and coming Bug Type Trainer! Hello, Bennett! Tell us, what--
"Gardevoir, what are you doing in my room?"
"It's an interview, just go with it!"
" That's-- wait, is this live?"
"Sure is! Bennett, tell us how--"
"Okay, no, please get out of my room; I am trying to study here!"
"Oh, studying! And what--"
"Go, go go go. I'll tell Mom on you, Gardevoir."
"Insolent! How dare you threaten me, the great Gossip--"
*SLAM*
"Did you just slam that in MY face? Bennett?! Bennett!!! Ooooooh... When I get off air, I'm going to-- In fact..."
"That's all on today's Interview Intermission. Until next time!"

It doesn't get better.

A new item to Reborn, snax can be consumed to increase friendship, but they're essential to a lot of the random duders. They only respond to you when you have snax.

This dialogue sounds urban, if you've lived in the mountains far from human contact and only have a vague idea what a city is.

I only bring this guy up because his name is Saad.

Literal dumpster diving is my life, I'm glad games represent it.

Gulpin would probably be OK for a while just off of Sludge's high power, I didn't bother with this one though.

Espurr instantly forgets its emotional trauma with the prospect of treats.

People suggested Loki since I wanted its hidden ability on a male to get Prankster later.

I went one better.

The weather in Reborn moves t the speed real life weather does i.e. several day long stretches of similar conditions. This is a problem as plenty of poo poo is available only during very specific weather statuses.

There's a Pokemon Center sort of in the middle of Peridot Ward. It makes a good ending point for now, but we have a zinger of a line to leave on:

TALLY OF ATROCITY:
Confirmed deaths: 1
Acts of terrorism: 1
Acts of torture: 1

TODAY'S RANDOM SHINY:

Reborn doesn't limit itself to straight palette swaps. The rare few times it doesn't use this for memes they're at least striking.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Okay, now I'm wondering what makes Zigzagoon a better Pickup slave than Pachirisu.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

'Doxy' is an outdated word for a prostitute. You defeated a prostitute in a Pokemon battle.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

megane posted:

'Doxy' is an outdated word for a prostitute. You defeated a prostitute in a Pokemon battle.

...Did the developers for this fangame just come together and decide to take the edgiest option for everything every single time?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Wow, I just started reading a Let's Read and Jackson and Mack are the two love interests there. It has to be a coincidence though because the book is known more for the writer + publisher scamming it into the top of a NYT bestsellers list than for any of its content.

Godna
Feb 4, 2013
That vileploom is colored like that minigame from mario party where the colored platforms would sink below the water.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

quote:

Hey there. You know, this is my hood.

What is up, my fellow man.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I like how the game is so edgy that you literally beat up hobos living out of a ratty old backpack and take their money.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The Dictionary posted:

doxˇy
ˈdäksē

noun archaic
noun: doxy; plural noun: doxies

• a lover or mistress.
  • a prostitute.

Pokemon!

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I await the future "antics" of Gossip Gardevoir with bated breath and soul chilling fear.

edit: I'm also amused/concerned by that atrocity tally...

azren fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 12, 2018

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Augus posted:

Pokemon!

Gotta catch 'em all, I guess.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Why the gently caress does everyone in this game wear black, red or brown?

E I feel like I'm back in high school

Leal fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 12, 2018

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

I guess the only saving grace Reborn has is it doesn't have edgy "types" like Radioactive or really bad Original Pokemon like Uranium did.

But everything else...yikes!

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
I really hate this game a lot, for a lot of reasons. Nothing says 'Pokemon' like a completely joyless game with characters dreamed up by a high school scene kid. And I don't even know how you're expected to beat the first gym without starting with Mudkip.

Some of the shinies are okay though.

e:

Pixeltendo posted:

I guess the only saving grace Reborn has is it doesn't have edgy "types" like Radioactive or really bad Original Pokemon like Uranium did.

It's okay they manage to completely gently caress the balance up in other ways.
I'm getting excited to see a new wave of people exposed to this nonsense.

Bible Ian Black fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 12, 2018

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Wow, I just started reading a Let's Read and Jackson and Mack are the two love interests there. It has to be a coincidence though because the book is known more for the writer + publisher scamming it into the top of a NYT bestsellers list than for any of its content.

Oh my god, I wouldn't have noticed that. :barf:

I want to say it's likely to be coincidence because this game predates that "book", but... well, those trainers seem to be using Gen 7 Pokemon (which I hadn't realised were even in this game), so they could've been added in a recent update. Who the hell knows?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

I'm glad someone finally made a Pokemon game for adults

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Regalingualius posted:

...Did the developers for this fangame just come together and decide to take the edgiest option for everything every single time?

Yes