Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

PoptartsNinja posted:

"Two of your gym leaders died, you loose all badge progress above those gyms and have to re-challenge starting from the lowest level of the two"

"Also you have to start over with new pokemon because all the ones you have won't obey you now that they know two of your badges are invalid."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farseli
Sep 28, 2009

This is what I live for. This is the purpose of living, for those who have no life.
I still don't get how this became a running thing for the thread.

I thought it was that he had not given you a badge before he died. Something something the badge needs to be activated or registered or something before it works and that you can't just kill gym leaders and take badges off of them.

EDIT: Oh, reading back, it came up because of Kiki. From what we saw she never gives the player a badge, but the line "Although, if she doesn't make it, that badge would be reset" is a weird read in that case.

"That badge" could be referring to the badge Kiki must have on her to award so it still fits that if the badge isn't awarded yet it becomes nullified upon the death of the leader.

Farseli fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 8, 2019

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Oops my professor died better burn these degrees.

(I don't actually have a higher education but whatever)

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Azza Bamboo posted:

Oops my professor died better burn these degrees.

(I don't actually have a higher education but whatever)

You did before all your professors perished in the hole, changing the reality of your many doctorates.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
So badges emit some kind of mind control over animals?

Children's games! *Jazz hands*

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Farseli posted:

I still don't get how this became a running thing for the thread.

I thought it was that he had not given you a badge before he died. Something something the badge needs to be activated or registered or something before it works and that you can't just kill gym leaders and take badges off of them.

EDIT: Oh, reading back, it came up because of Kiki. From what we saw she never gives the player a badge, but the line "Although, if she doesn't make it, that badge would be reset" is a weird read in that case.

"That badge" could be referring to the badge Kiki must have on her to award so it still fits that if the badge isn't awarded yet it becomes nullified upon the death of the leader.

What? No, it came from the like second or third gym leader, who killed himself after you beat him but before he gave you the badge. Badges are retired when the gym leader dies (or steps down?) so the whole gym was immediately meaningless from a gameplay (and story) perspective.

Personally I think Amethyst meant that the no one else can earn a retired badge, not that anyone who holds the retired badge needs to go fight the new gym leader. But that's not as funny as the thread's take.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

So badges emit some kind of mind control over animals?

Children's games! *Jazz hands*

A large part of Reborn (and indeed, of any fanfiction) is trying to frame the little handwavey mechanics and plot contrivances of the original as being, actually, internally consistent aspects of physics and/or society with logical grounding, and inadvertently revealing in the process that this is a deeply stupid thing to want.

For instance, just look at the Gardevoir thing. They took a throwaway line in its description and played it up into this huge and - importantly - really loving awful plotline about her having romantic feelings for Insufferable Hat Person and eventually sacrificing herself to create a black hole that killed a bunch of people and sent Raven on a grimdark psychotropic Small World ride through the afterlife.

megane fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 8, 2019

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

megane posted:

A large part of Reborn (and indeed, of any fanfiction) is trying to frame the little handwavey mechanics and plot contrivances of the original as being, actually, internally consistent aspects of physics and/or society with logical grounding, and inadvertently revealing in the process that this is a deeply stupid thing to want.
Definitely, though to be fair, this isn’t remotely limited to fan fiction. Answering questions that nobody seriously asked or cared about just to show consistency happens a lot even in professional fiction writing, especially when you’re trying to fit it around and into existing works.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

MagusofStars posted:

Definitely, though to be fair, this isn’t remotely limited to fan fiction. Answering questions that nobody seriously asked or cared about just to show consistency happens a lot even in professional fiction writing, especially when you’re trying to fit it around and into existing works.
Coughcoughmidichlorianscoughcough

megane
Jun 20, 2008

MagusofStars posted:

Definitely, though to be fair, this isn’t remotely limited to fan fiction.

Too true.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Binged this thread in a few days. The game's a trainwreck, but the content it spawned in the thread was amazing. Some thoughts on it:

- Ame is incredibly incompetent as the champion and manager of the Reborn league. Not only did they hire so many members of Team Meteor as Gym Leaders or part of the Elite 4, the whole thing about badges of dead gym leaders no longer counting is the stupidest rule ever. I :rolleyes: at Lin saying Ame was the heart of Reborn. If anything, Adrienn is the real heart of the city because they're the one who actually organized people and revitalized the city, not Ame.

- Amethyst's biggest failure with how she wrote the Reborn League is how it's the most headache-inducing thing to even try to do. The gym leaders regularly ditch their job to do whatever the gently caress they want. You can't expect to challenge them head on either since they could have arbitrary rules like having to graduate from their school or requiring you to have a stupid voucher. Then there's the whole thing about dead leaders' badges deactivating somehow so you have to wait until someone's appointed and challenge them all over again. And we still don't know what bullshit the Elite 4 will put Raven through.

- gently caress Radomus. A lot of the poo poo that went wrong can be traced back to his smarmy rear end. He's the one who had the 4 gemstones, he picked Sirius to make the jewelry for it and gave Team Meteor the lead for it, he gave the 4 gemstones away to random people who had no idea they'd be targeted for it. I wouldn't be surprised if Lin or Dr. Shocksalot's issues can be traced back to Radomus.

- So Corey was the Poison gym leader...and yet somehow his daughter's one of the Elite 4. How does that make any sense?

- Seeing Shelly try to befriend Titania made my skin crawl. Shelly, please get away from that terrible person before she ruins you too.

- What I hate most about the last few episodes is how it wants to make you believe the player's actions were worthwhile by having everyone comment on how Raven is so strong and competent...but then the story still spits on the player's agency by still having the gym leaders be the ones to do everything in cutscenes.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
how is this still going

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
We are awaiting the conclusion of the game.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Kurtofan posted:

how is this still going

that which is not dead may eternal lie

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Kurtofan posted:

how is this still going

This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some people started posting it, not knowing what it was, and they'll continue posting it forever just because...

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

amigolupus posted:

- Ame is incredibly incompetent as the champion and manager of the Reborn league. Not only did they hire so many members of Team Meteor as Gym Leaders or part of the Elite 4, the whole thing about badges of dead gym leaders no longer counting is the stupidest rule ever. I :rolleyes: at Lin saying Ame was the heart of Reborn. If anything, Adrienn is the real heart of the city because they're the one who actually organized people and revitalized the city, not Ame.

- Amethyst's biggest failure with how she wrote the Reborn League is how it's the most headache-inducing thing to even try to do. The gym leaders regularly ditch their job to do whatever the gently caress they want. You can't expect to challenge them head on either since they could have arbitrary rules like having to graduate from their school or requiring you to have a stupid voucher. Then there's the whole thing about dead leaders' badges deactivating somehow so you have to wait until someone's appointed and challenge them all over again. And we still don't know what bullshit the Elite 4 will put Raven through.

The Pokemon Adventures had both of these in their stories (Sabrina, Lt Surge and Koga were working for Team Rocket, and the Elite 4 were doing their own world-domination thing as well. And Fire Red/Leaf Green had Norman abandon his duties to go chase after Ruby, but was actually reprimanded by the league for abandoning his gym, along with gym leaders having odd requirements) but they were also handled much more competently. Also, a distinct lack of "gym leader commits suicide after losing to spite you".

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

amigolupus posted:

- So Corey was the Poison gym leader...and yet somehow his daughter's one of the Elite 4. How does that make any sense?
how does it not make sense? sometimes people are outperformed by their children

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

how is this still going

That which is not dead may never be Reborn.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Randalor posted:

The Pokemon Adventures had both of these in their stories (Sabrina, Lt Surge and Koga were working for Team Rocket, and the Elite 4 were doing their own world-domination thing as well. And Fire Red/Leaf Green had Norman abandon his duties to go chase after Ruby, but was actually reprimanded by the league for abandoning his gym, along with gym leaders having odd requirements) but they were also handled much more competently. Also, a distinct lack of "gym leader commits suicide after losing to spite you".

Also, keep in mind until literally RSE, a trainer was not required to get gym badges to participate in the league, in fact, they didn't even seem connected. Red won his league and he only had 7 (Never got the Earth Badge) and Blue and Green definitly didn't have all the badges. Oak certainly didn't, and he participated too.

After Johto the decision was made (mostly to stop leaders from loving around and not doing their job, and also to direct more work their way) that having the 8 badges would allow you to pass the preliminary tournament that made up league qualification, so-

Old Pokemon League
No Requirements for Entry
Trainers are seeded into 4 blocks of preliminary knock out matches
At the conclusion of the 4 blocks, The final 4 will face in the two semi-finals and the finals.

New Pokemon League (Post Johto)
Same as the previous rules, however, having 8 gym badges allows you to skip the preliminary knock out matches. This restructured the finals into a knock-out tournament bracket, rather than simply the top 4.
The winner of the tournament is crowned Champion, the top finalists are crowned the Elite 4 (In RSE, Wallace won the tournament, and became champion, but passed on it so he could be a Gym Leader, so the 1st runner up, Steven, became Champion instead, and presumably Sidney was promoted to Elite 4)

There's a few more rule changes in the BW arc but I haven't read it through in a loooooong time.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Randalor posted:

I'm trying to remember if this game had any moments that were handled competently but it's all being drowned out by the rest of the terrible garbage.

Elephant Parade posted:

how does it not make sense? sometimes people are outperformed by their children

I guess it's how there's really no indication she's one of the Elite 4. Heather first appeared in episode 3 complaining how her dad's overbearing. After that she kept running away and then ended up being captured by Dr. Shocksalot so she comes across more like some random kid. Then I think in episode 13 or something, someone just casually goes "btw heather's part of the Elite 4". Maybe there's an NPC that OFS didn't talk to that mentions the fact? Because if not then the reveal just came out of nowhere.

There's also how Corey was supposed to be overbearing and controlling so I'm not sure how Heather found the time to raise strong Pokemon, much less get permission to try out to be one of the Elite 4.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

I thought Anna was the orphan who was part of the Elite 4, Heather was just Corey's runaway daughter.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Heather was casually mentioned as being in the E4 both while living with her garbage dad and as a resident of the Orphanarium. We haven’t been told Anna’s deal yet, even though she very obviously is going to be an endgame boss, either as an E4 member or a champion/Red kind of deal.

Why these two prepubescent girls are the strongest trainers in the region could be glossed over, after all the player character in regular pokémon games ends up being the champion at age 10-15, but how they keep getting kidnapped and tortured by people they could easily crush is just a thing we’re expected to not think about.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

It's dork and eggy.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Pokemon Reborn: It's Dork and Eggy

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Why these two prepubescent girls are the strongest trainers in the region could be glossed over, after all the player character in regular pokémon games ends up being the champion at age 10-15, but how they keep getting kidnapped and tortured by people they could easily crush is just a thing we’re expected to not think about.

not even kidnapped in at least one case. I think I remember Dr Shockhappy mentioning some Reborn region law that actually put at least one of the girls in his care.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
They all got kidnapped Team Meteor at some point during the four-episode quest to Move a Single Rock That Was Next to Some Easily Vaulted Obstacles, in addition to being tortured by Doc Shock. And was it Heather who also got kidnapped by the game d00d? That may have been the bug girl.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

The Golux posted:

Pokemon Reborn: It's Dork and Edgy

+1

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

The Golux posted:

Pokemon Reborn: It's Dork and Eggy

:yeah:

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Any confirmation yet on if everything from Sword and Shield is going to be crammed into this trainwreck so Amethyst can drag out the wait for another year?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

the Orb of Zot posted:

Any confirmation yet on if everything from Sword and Shield is going to be crammed into this trainwreck so Amethyst can drag out the wait for another year?

I think she actually stated that she's not going to try and cram it in although we'll see if she wants to give her patreon a boost.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

"Due to OVERWHELMING demand, I've decided to incorporate all of the new mechanics and pokemon from Sword and Shield into Episode 19. Sadly, I expect that this will take another year or so to implement. I thank you all for your support on this project."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

personally im glad this person made something they enjoyed making and that other people enjoyed too. god bless you, amethyst.

Randalor posted:

"Due to OVERWHELMING demand, I've decided to incorporate all of the new mechanics and pokemon from Sword and Shield into Episode 19. Sadly, I expect that this will take another year or so to implement. I thank you all for your support on this project."
like whod give a poo poo if some random fangame person decided to do this, lol. make fun of the bad game but the weird hyperfocus on hypothetical situations where some idiot on the internet might do something stupid is some kiwifarms poo poo.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 9, 2019

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
"overwhelming demand" means "one person asked me to and they live in the mirror"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

"overwhelming demand" means "one person asked me to and they live in the mirror"

thats the best reason to make anything, tho

Worldwalker_Pure
Feb 27, 2015

Endorph posted:

personally im glad this person made something they enjoyed making and that other people enjoyed too. god bless you, amethyst.

She's stated that she doesn't enjoy Pokemon.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Worldwalker_Pure posted:

She's stated that she doesn't enjoy Pokemon.
i dont either so i like her more now

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Endorph posted:

personally im glad this person made something they enjoyed making and that other people enjoyed too.

Don't know how to break this to you but she's never given the indication that she even liked making Reborn.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It should be Eggy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Testekill posted:

Don't know how to break this to you but she's never given the indication that she even liked making Reborn.
what you stalk her tumblr or something man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

"All of the new mechanics and pokemon from Sword and Shield" translates into "removed all the pokemon that aren't in the Galar dex, with no regard for problems that causes in earlier episodes."

Only way to get through sequences that require removed pokemon will be to play an old version. Also, ep 19's save file will be incompatible with older versions.