Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

banned from Starbucks posted:

Put some got dang respect on Dash Rendars name please

What I said isn’t wrong, though. His character clearly came from the following conversation:

“We need Han Solo in this story.”
“But Han is frozen in carbonite at this point.”
“But we need Han Solo in this story.”
“That’s literally impossible.”
“…but we need Han Solo in this story.”
“Sigh, I’ll figure something out.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

You're absolutely right with all that.

But.

Dash has huge shoulder pads and a jetpack in the game.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

banned from Starbucks posted:

You're absolutely right with all that.

But.

Dash has huge shoulder pads and a jetpack in the game.

The jetpack was awesome, no argument there.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'm sorry but I'm afraid this discussion must have lost me at some point. Are you telling me that Han Solo flies now?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

thrawn527 posted:

This is funny to me, because one of the more famous books of the old EU, Shadows of the Empire, covered exactly this period. Not that it aged very well or anything. Basically Vader versus a criminal syndicate, a Han Solo stand in because you apparently need one, and Leia trying to not get raped by the head of the crime syndicate.

You can totally make a story about anything, but my point is that you can’t really do a Rogue story here. The ‘Rogue’ concept is kinda fundamentally about where all the galaxy’s leftists are during this poo poo - and, at the start of Episode 6, they’re just absent. It’s why the Alliance ultimately has to be rescued by the Ewoks.

(So the Ewoks are the rogue ones, in this context, but we’ve already had two movies and a show about them.)

I haven’t really engaged with Shadows Of Empire, but it seems like Vader’s still kinda halfheartedly trying to recruit Luke after he already failed. And Dash Rendar is just… there, libertarianishly? You can see why they’d have to invent a new villain to introduce conflict.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You can totally make a story about anything, but my point is that you can’t really do a Rogue story here. The ‘Rogue’ concept is kinda fundamentally about where all the galaxy’s leftists are during this poo poo - and, at the start of Episode 6, they’re just absent. It’s why the Alliance ultimately has to be rescued by the Ewoks.

(So the Ewoks are the rogue ones, in this context, but we’ve already had two movies and a show about them.)

I haven’t really engaged with Shadows Of Empire, but it seems like Vader’s still kinda halfheartedly trying to recruit Luke after he already failed. And Dash Rendar is just… there, libertarianishly? You can see why they’d have to invent a new villain to introduce conflict.

You absolutely understand Shadows of the Empire, yes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's funny how many stand-in Han Solos there are, and they should team up. Dash Rendar, Kyle Katarn, The Outrageous Okona, get em all in here.

Not even counting Phineas and Ferb Star Wars, the first and probably best Star Wars production made under Disney, where Han Solo has a counterpart and respected rival who is also a pre-teen girl scout and they both talk themselves over a drink into changing their minds to go back to help Luke/Phineas and Ferb at the Death Star.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That’s obviously not to say that it should be (another) CGI-Leia movie, but there is another opportunity to look at those radical figures who don’t fit into the Rebellion/Empire dichotomy. Real uncharted territory at this point.

I think it’s more or less impossible for this to happen under Disney now because they are committed to making the Rebels not having any kind of defined ideology or agenda (now of course in actuality this means their ideology is 2024 American Liberalism but you know what I mean). So it’s impossible to have some anti-imperial group that isn’t “The Rebels” because they won’t define what is a Rebel.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

There's a pretty good documentary on youtube about the making of Shadows of the Empire (specifically the game), and Dash's character came from a few different places.

The novel wanted Dash to be a more Lando-ish "high class" smuggler as opposed to Han's working-class vibe. They wanted him to wear a cape and have flowing hair, and feel more "regal".

The comics wanted Dash to go in the opposite direction - making him a more ruthless and edgy character who Han might have become if he didn't have a heart.

The game just wanted something they could actually render on the N64 (Dash was chosen as the game's player character because Nintendo wanted an exclusive character for their console. The devs originally imagined Boba Fett as their game's star, but Lucasfilm didn't want Fett stuck on the N64 for the duration of the exclusivity contract).

So all three parties had to find a look they were all comfortable with, which ended up with none of them really being happy, and Dash having giant shoulder pads because it was a way for them to deal with intersecting geometry.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Dash Rendar is fine, but he's no Kyle Katarn. I'm still enamored with the idea of an ex-stormstrooper turned jedi master. Disney really screwed the potential of Finn.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

Robot Style posted:

There's a pretty good documentary on youtube about the making of Shadows of the Empire (specifically the game), and Dash's character came from a few different places.

The novel wanted Dash to be a more Lando-ish "high class" smuggler as opposed to Han's working-class vibe. They wanted him to wear a cape and have flowing hair, and feel more "regal".

The comics wanted Dash to go in the opposite direction - making him a more ruthless and edgy character who Han might have become if he didn't have a heart.

The game just wanted something they could actually render on the N64 (Dash was chosen as the game's player character because Nintendo wanted an exclusive character for their console. The devs originally imagined Boba Fett as their game's star, but Lucasfilm didn't want Fett stuck on the N64 for the duration of the exclusivity contract).

So all three parties had to find a look they were all comfortable with, which ended up with none of them really being happy, and Dash having giant shoulder pads because it was a way for them to deal with intersecting geometry.

Lucas said to name him Dash Rendar because he ran all over the place and the N64 could render him

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Jehde posted:

Dash Rendar is fine, but he's no Kyle Katarn. I'm still enamored with the idea of an ex-stormstrooper turned jedi master. Disney really screwed the potential of Finn.

And that's why Jedi Academy remains relevant to this day, because you can do exactly that with mods, and kit out Finn with whatever weapons and powers you need

Makes running through Vjun with Kyle a lot of fun, or having him throw you around Marka Ragnos' tomb because you stabbed Kylo Ren Rosh Penin once

There's also three separate Kyle mods for EA's Battlefront II, one replacing Rey and two replacing Luke (pity. He'd have made a good Anakin alt too, or make his Dark Forces appearance replace Han Solo), as well as an outfit mod for Jedi Fallen Order, and you can loosely cosplay as him in Survivor...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Vim Fuego posted:

Lucas said to name him Dash Rendar because he ran all over the place and the N64 could render him

I hope this is true. It's a great Star Wars name AND a great classic video game character name.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

You cannot convince me he's not named after a command line flag.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/pabl0hidalgo/status/1769587795570639164

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

josh04 posted:

You cannot convince me he's not named after a command line flag.

The fine tradition of Guybrush Threepwood.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

galagazombie posted:

I think it’s more or less impossible for this to happen under Disney now because they are committed to making the Rebels not having any kind of defined ideology or agenda (now of course in actuality this means their ideology is 2024 American Liberalism but you know what I mean). So it’s impossible to have some anti-imperial group that isn’t “The Rebels” because they won’t define what is a Rebel.

Not to hand anything to Disney, but I don't believe that's true at all. In Andor and Rogue One, Saw Gererra is referred to directly as an anarchist - and Jyn Erso is pretty much his adopted daughter, whose arc is to return to that cause after a period of disillusionment. To my recollection, the description of Saw as an anarchist is the first time that any specific real-world ideology is actually named in Star Wars. Like, picture if they cut through the bullshit in other respects and just used "capitalist", "feudalist", etc. (It'd no longer be necessary to coin terms like "Vaderist" or "Neo-Republican"). They also make it pretty clear that most members of the Rebellion - or, at least, its leadership - is not anarchist.

Even in the hated ST, there is a fairly clear distinction between the Resistance and the Rebellion - personified by Leia and Holdo, respectively:

"We are the spark that will light the fire that will restore the Republic."

Leia doesn't say anything like that in the films, because the language used is pretty clear that the Resistance is not Republican. The New Republic are consistently described as friends and supporters of the Resistance, but they're not directly affiliated with eachother. They're just allies whose goals happen to align, since Leia thinks exclusively in terms of restoring the Jedi Order. Rey, speaking on behalf of Leia, says: "we need your help. We need the Jedi Order back. We need Luke Skywalker." "She is desperate to find her brother Luke" In TFA and TLJ, Luke had abandoned the Resistance to their fate - but, at the end, he says "the Rebellion is reborn today." I don't believe that's a purely semantic difference, but again playing off the important ideological distinction.

Where you do have silence, it's with Ben Solo and the First Order. Ben Solo, infamously, never speaks. We only hear secondhand that he was interested in Vaderism before Luke tried to kill him. Accordingly, we barely learn anything about Vaderism, or the First Order at large, because Disney places all emphasis on the Neo-Imperial conspiracy that corrupts the First Order. Like, Palpatine literally says he used fake teachings to corrupt Kylo. So, what were the real teachings?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Star Wars has never in my estimation featured "Good Acting", but even so the chemistry between Han & Leia is incredibly forced. Which is ironic considering Harrison & Carrie were hooking up irl (tho maybe not atm, I didn't check).

I know I know, we can make it work by considering how being socially awkward is obviously part of both their characters: previous to the events of Ep 4, Han has exactly 2 friends, while Leia appears to have none. Given their age and the violent and isolating nature of their careers (criminal smuggler and noble senator, both turned terrorist) it's easy to buy that this "romance" is a first for both. Still, it comes across very stilted and unnatural, especially the scenes in the asteroid cave.

And yes, I get the poetry and am aware of the relationship it's rhyming with, but the prompt was to consider a genuinely bad element of the 2nd best sw movie and this is it for me. It's bad bad, not good!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

if you defend aotc you have no room to argue whats awkward and whats not imo

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Blood Boils posted:

Star Wars has never in my estimation featured "Good Acting", but even so the chemistry between Han & Leia is incredibly forced. Which is ironic considering Harrison & Carrie were hooking up irl (tho maybe not atm, I didn't check).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-GPKo8q2Xc

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmRRzpJDDv4

drat, Scott Lawrence might have some competition for best Vader impersonation. Not an AI voice.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Goddamn, that is really good.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

For a while Lucasfilm was using Chad Vader as the non-JEJ Vader voice, so I could see them hiring this guy if Lawrence is unavailable.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Sound is right but his cadence is off. He nails the pun at the end though which counts for a lot in my book

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He sorta fumbles the cadence towards the end where he starts to rush the lines, but he nails the intimidation factor.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Donald Glover Lando series is apparently going to be a movie now instead:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/donald-glover-star-wars-series-161352019.html

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

the kiss of death lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Rogue One had a great Vader because he was a horror movie monster and also made a dad joke.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Rogue One had the sassiest vader. Walk and all

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

George H.W. oval office posted:

Rogue One had the sassiest vader. Walk and all

Wide Vader Swagger:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17cx2KuiYvg

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Bigger Luke's dad.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
SD Vader

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

CelticPredator posted:

if you defend aotc you have no room to argue whats awkward and whats not imo

I will defend both aotc and esb as good*, but that wasn't the prompt

*Not quite as good as anh or tpm, true

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
His cadence isn't 100% but I don't really get the current obsession with making everything exactly the same. JEJ is old as gently caress, AI always sounds hosed with, just recast it and the character can sound slightly different. It's not like we're going to be confused about who it is.

Same poo poo with the deepfake stuff. Mark Hamill even said it - just cast that young dude instead of going through all this poo poo to attempt to make him look just like Mark Hamill, which just distracts people.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://voca.ro/172NMuIdZxW5

There's a time and place for AI, but it's a lot nicer to pay people for their work if they're willing and able to do it, rather than replacing them because you can't spare a penny from your billions

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Each prequel has its strengths and weaknesses. TPM and AotC are a slog at different points, and RotS is overstuffed to the point of feeling like a clips episode. Overall RotS is the only one I'd want to actually sit down and engage with in a full sitting these days, but the vibes of AotC make it by far my favorite.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

Glottis posted:

Same poo poo with the deepfake stuff. Mark Hamill even said it - just cast that young dude instead of going through all this poo poo to attempt to make him look just like Mark Hamill, which just distracts people.

Yes, goddammit

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

feedmyleg posted:

Each prequel has its strengths and weaknesses. TPM and AotC are a slog at different points, and RotS is overstuffed to the point of feeling like a clips episode. Overall RotS is the only one I'd want to actually sit down and engage with in a full sitting these days, but the vibes of AotC make it by far my favorite.

Bounty Hunter Pursuit, Detective Obi-Wan, the Arena, and Dooku are the parts I revisit from AotC

The Podrace and Duel of the Fates from TPM

Anakin vs Obi-Wan from RotS

So, in theory, that makes AotC the best out of the three since there's more segments to rewatch, yes?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
More or less, yeah. I'd toss the opening and Order 66 into the RotS bucket, though. And I'd argue that the majority of Tattooine in TPM is a good watch. But in terms of top-tier highlights, you nailed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Still love the ending of Attack Of The Clones, a big sad ominous comedown from the exciting climactic battle. Watching legions of stormtroopers loaded onto star destroyers as the Imperial march plays is chef's kiss. It's also got the most fun title, I love that attacking with clones turns out to be what the heroes do