Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
So I guess we can just assume that anyone who's not a character in one of the OT movies is going to die, right? I mean, it's not like the Star Wars Galaxy is big enough for people just to go their own way and never be seen again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

nurabsal posted:

Let's not bury the lede here, loving Darth Maul is the evil handler behind it all!

Holy poo poo. I too assumed this was a piss take. Is that enough to make the movie worth watching?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

BigglesSWE posted:

Seen Solo twice now. I actually think it’s pretty good, warts and all. There are some very awkward editing at times but I’ve seen much worse.

I feel bad that this is bombing. All things considered, I think it’s interesting enough to warrant sequels.

If you want to know more about Han Solo there are a few other movies you can check out.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

exquisite tea posted:

My idea for a sequel: A few years following the events of the first film, Han and Chewie happen upon a desert farmboy and an old jedi monk seeking passage to Alderaan, which sets them on a rip-roaring adventure of galactic importance.

lmao that sounds dumb as hell.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

exquisite tea posted:

Thinking it over I have to agree, how could we fit in some more Star Wars callbacks.

They should definitely bring back that Vader guy from EP 3 and Rogue One. He's way more intimidating than Darth Maul.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

No Mods No Masters posted:

Computer, generate "Digital Leia"

Gimme a hat wobble.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I enjoyed the new movies for what they are but I feel like if they really didn't want to do anything with the old characters other than poo poo on their legacy and anything they accomplished in the OT they should have just set the movies a hundred years later or something. You could still bring back force ghost Luke and Yoda if you needed, maybe have Chewie all gray in a Kashyyk nursing home or whatever. I loved how much fun Hamill seemed to be having in the role but other than that it seemed like a complete waste.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

remusclaw posted:

Star Wars, without the EU, felt like a closed story. The prequels, for all their faults, didn't gently caress that up. The EU and the sequel movies however take what could easily be read as a happily ever after ending and pick up years later after the good guys completely failed to follow up constructively on their victory. It takes the movies everyone loves, and says, all of this amounted to jack poo poo. This is probably why even though I actually like all of these movies more than I like the prequels, I feel like they hurt the originals more.

Yeah but EU fans at least got to experience their heros doing more heroic poo poo for awhile. Instead of the OT trio just becoming massive fuckups who couldn't manage to get a single thing right after ROTJ.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

remusclaw posted:

Yeah I added a light caveat to my EU statement in an edit. You could just ignore them too if you wanted because it wasn't like they were ever going to get more that the most cursory reference in the movies, so it really couldn't hurt things that much, even with all the dumb poo poo they did in the New Jedi Order run of books.

Yeah, even my gf who was obsessed with the books and felt "betrayed" by the new movies generally stopped reading them after NJO I think. I've read the first Zahn book and that was enough for me. Something about the way they're written is just obnoxious and I have zero desire to read on. I will give them credit for crafting a credible threat to the OT heroes so that they could be challenged and have to overcome an enemy without making them incompetent morons, at least in that first book.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

kidkissinger posted:

That whole sequence just seemed like a way to make Leonidas seem more badass but whatever

Did you watch Wolf of Wall Street and think Jordan Belfort was just the coolest loving dude?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The only thing those audience reactions show is that movie audiences are quite stupid and easily swayed by even satirical propaganda.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Hey has anyone pointed out how Jeddah sounds like Jedi??? :imunfunny:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Gonz posted:

Supreme Leader Kylo Ren (feat. Rilo Kiley)

Wow, please tell me how long you've been sitting on that non-sequitur.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ingmar terdman posted:

Maybe it'll make more sense on screen as opposed to the written page but these script leaks of Kylo lurking in corners of Starkiller II yelling "just try and jack me off" seem a little tonally off

This will make more sense on screen when the Jizz Wailers make their clearly telegraphed return.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Hemingway To Go! posted:

So is PewDiePie following alt righters and calls for the death of the Jews repeatedly as jokes a lower level than saying Brie Larson's statements were actually right but could have been said better or that in general representation is a good thing but sometimes is deployed cynically or is it a really funny joke involving serious topics, the kind PewDiePie himself tells

I don't disagree with your point but Brie's comments were fine and pathetic white men need way thicker skin ffs

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

YaketySass posted:

They're nowhere near as bad as the menagerie of Youtube idiots but boy do they like reminding you that minorities can identify with a white male protagonist just fine and diverse casting is therefore just a marketing gimmick.

While I think there's plenty of valid points to be made about the crass commercialization of "wokeness/feminism/et al" I have yet to hear criticism from white men on the subject that was any good and you know what maybe it's not really the place of white men to loudly complain about it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

s.i.r.e. posted:

Her comments were a verbal enema of loosely cohesive thoughts and she could have spent a couple minutes writing out something decent. Or pay someone to do it for her. Her point was good, but she sounded like a total moron.

So Star Wars.

No, not really, but thanks for playing.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

s.i.r.e. posted:

Actually yes, if you think her "speech" was anything other that terrible you're dumb.

Lmao okay dude if you say so. They weren't any dumber than any other poo poo that Hollywood people blather on about in their speeches but you do you. Keep on loving that Ess Jay Double You chicken.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

s.i.r.e. posted:

Who said they make good speeches either? Hollywood is filled with shallow white people, news at 11. If someone's giving a speech, they should have some charisma and eloquence so they don't sound like Brie Larson who came off as up her own rear end.

Her words were fine, you might need to check your brain because it's about twenty feet up your tremendous rear end.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Daddy Thanos posted:

You're mad about Brie Larson's rear end

Yep you got me

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

“[Audiences] are not allowed enough chances to read public discourse on these films by the people that the films were made for. I do not need a 40-year-old white dude to tell me what didn’t work for him about ‘[A] Wrinkle in Time.’ It wasn’t made for him. I want to know what it meant to women of color, to biracial women, to teen women of color, to teens that are biracial."

This is less stupid than anything you have said in this conversation.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Did anyone even notice the dice until TLJ made them a plot point?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Speaking of I tried to watch Solo because it's on Netflix and uh. I thought it started out okay. The 'solo' thing didn't really bother me. But then I got to the guy saying "luck's got nothing to do with it!" and then the Chewbacca scene where the goober they had playing Han starts "speaking Wookiee" and I had to turn it off. Not for me.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Daddy Thanos posted:

There's nothing wrong with a well-done cheeseburger

Yeah it's really dependent on the cut of meat, a well done hamburger is fine and can be quite good. Now someone that goes out to a fancy steak house and orders their cuts of meat well done... :sad:

But you know what, even those people have a place because you gotta have something to do with the lovely cuts of meat, and guess who gets those?

I think I got totally lost with this analogy though.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Disney’s female leads aren’t allowed to emote. It’s in their contract to never use their eyebrows.

And yet they hired Emilia Clarke for Solo...

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The only EU books I ever read were these two books where Mara Jade teams up with four Stormtrooper deserters and they were way more interesting than anything they've done with Finn so far.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ruddiger posted:

the credits should be solo front profile shots of the cast looking and smiling at the camera like the end of Predator.

More movies should do this in general tbh. I just watched The Lighthouse last night and even that movie would be elevated by it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The United States posted:

Cumberbatch was clearly intended to be Joachim, he even looks like him, and Khan was going to be someone else in the background set up as a future villain (probably why they were trying to get Benicio Del Toro: to continue the fine tradition of casting actors from Mexico with fabulous hair as Khan), but at some point someone said gently caress it and just made Dr. Strange into Khan.

If they were going to just rehash some og poo poo I don't see why they didn't just cast him as Gary Mitchell and do a big budget version of that story. Add in the section 31 stuff if you must, it still works with them wanting to weaponize Mitchell's growing powers or whatever. Bonus, now you don't have to whitewash anyone!

But Khan!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

FlamingLiberal posted:

The rumor for awhile was that Cumberbatch was going to be Gary Mitchell

I would have liked to see them do an adaptation of Where No Man Has Gone Before. It would have been far better than what we got with Into Darkness.

Yeah, grass is greener et al but I don't see how it could have been any worse than what they went ahead and did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ingmar terdman posted:

The new movies are obsessed with fetishizing things, the dice, the saber, the medal, the falcon.

As a kid did anyone spend the whole of ROTJ worrying about the magical blue laser sword and hope it was coming back? The movie just literally says "oh you made a new one, nice" Vader doesn't go "noooo the sacred sword"

Anyone else find it funny that Rey was holding the sith dagger and vader's lightsaber at the same time and goes "this weapon has a lotta bad vibes on it" lmao

The lightsaber at least was a thing, but the dice was like wtf, did anyone even notice those things until TLJ shined a spotlight on them?