Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Spoiler: these new movies aren’t very good.

E: obi wan movie should be lone wolf and cub and I won’t hear otherwise.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

cuntman.net posted:

i hope darth maul survives and is still around way after the sequel movies

With a big horn beard.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

No fuckin' Jabba? This is horse poo poo.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

“This movie was tepid trash, but they really set the stage for the next movie to be good” is a train of thought that needs to just die already.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

What’s the safest, most obvious, boring approach they could possibly do?

It’ll be that.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Mooey Cow posted:

lmao, you're right!

Wow, what a great looking shot.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

The characters walking around so far include Rey, Chewbacca, Kylo, stormtroopers and First Order officers. That’s pretty much it, I believe.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

If that’s true, which I don’t doubt, nobody on YouTube seems to have bothered to record her, or talk about her in any way. Lol.

Is Aurra Sing still alive? I like her. Put her in Star Wars land.

E: I see the blue haired lady. She’s the lead character in a stunt show that they’ll do in the land now and then.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 13, 2019

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Yes, really. Justice League and BvS.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Bogus Adventure posted:

There need to be more examples of Neimoidians blockading human planets due to tax disputes in these Star Wars.

My lord! Is that...legal?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

For the last time Skippy the Jedi Droid was never canon!!!!!!!!!

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

I see we're continuing the trend of the same ship designs from six films ago but in a different color scheme.

You mean exactly like their planets, aliens, plot, characters, etc etc

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I’d take this over the Knights of Ren’s cricket paddles and whatnot.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Red eyed C-3PO lol kill me now.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Didn’t one of the storyboard leaks mentioned an “evil” C-3PO that got uploaded some combat poo poo?

It did. It also went on to say that he ends up using Chewbacca’s bowcaster to, spoiler warning, comedic effect.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

It is Rey. It's just a really poorly done shot. I'm not even talking about the double dildo her face just doesn't look right.

Disney’s female leads aren’t allowed to emote. It’s in their contract to never use their eyebrows.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Of all the characters they’ve completely dropped the ball on, Finn is by far the most disappointing.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Michael Bay podrace movie.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

She ain’t of the people. I didn’t see her pour no drinks. There’s a giant statue of her on top of the building, drat it! Guillotine!

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

General Dog posted:

The one where they pair Jar Jar and Mace Windu and they end up in the Temple of Doom is kind of great

They even give Jar Jar a girlfriend. She’s the same species as Mars Guo. I love that little arc.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Franchise meta commentaries are just the worst.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

It sounds awesome and super pulpy and I’m sad we’ll never get to see it.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Zoran posted:

Same reason they didn’t run the anti-cloaking scan routinely, it's cheaper not to keep your defenses and your sensors engaged while you’re in combat

They pulled two enormous spaceships out of their rear end but they couldn’t afford to keep the a/c running?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

euphronius posted:

Hux is shown to be competent in the movies. He’s has a few successes. But also arrogant to a fault in that he consistently underestimates the Rebels (probably based on his ideological views). In ww2 movie terms he’s the competent but blinkered and out of touch Nazi officer and the rest of the staff are world-weary Wehrmacht

If you want to say being over arrogant is a form of incompetence ok. Sure

An hour earlier in the context of the film the rebels just blew up their entire secret planet. Why would they have any reason not to be protective of their equipment when the last of the rebel’s are cornered and making what is clearly a desperate act of aggression? It’s stupid.

It’d be characterization of hubris if the first order put up some big fancy shields and holdo’s maneuver just cut through it.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 4, 2019

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Zoran posted:

Smart of him to throw in with the faction that is literally a dozen people. Glad he read the script in advance

Hux has a nose for plot armor. If you read the books and comics and played the video games you would know this.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

It’s about hope. And family. Family hope. And that’s great.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Of the pretty excessive OT/EU nods in this first episode, I appreciated the use of the Garindan alien. And I thought the animation on the IG unit was really fun. My question is why didn’t that blow to the head trigger his self destruct?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I’m ready for some Lone Wolf and Cub action in this Mandalorian show, if the ending is anything to go by.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

“What’s your name, son?”
“Han.”
“Han...what? Who are your people?”
“I don’t have people. I’m alone.”
*Imperial officer typing*
“Han...Maclunkey”

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Sith Lords are our speciality.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

nemesis_hub posted:

It only took 3 movies, a huge team of supposedly top tier filmmakers, and untold millions of dollars for us to get a couple of new images/ideas!

The set piece is also a glaringly obvious Fury Road rip-off. Great dialogue btw. And what memorable sound design.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

No, AOTC isn’t photorealistic up to today’s standards and some shots are kinda iffy, but I really love the sleek 50’s look it has and the art direction definitely leans into that surreal, chromatic style. That look is also pretty much limited to places like Coruscant and Kamino.

If it isn’t your taste, fine, but it was state of the art craftsmanship for 2002.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Not true. For example, those buttes and spires anakin weaves through early in the race are (simple, by our modern perspective) geometric models with photos laid over and blurred appropriately for the proper speed. There’s lots of other parts of the track like that, but it’s a convincing effect.

About 40 seconds in:

https://youtu.be/xbAV4dO8gvM

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Dec 9, 2019

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

This is still Very Good, because despite the massive limitations of tech, it actually tries to tell a story visually and is full of atmosphere and vibe.

Same, but the prequels.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Do we have any idea if they explain why Luke/Anakin’s lightsaber is back together?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I forgot if the movie left any wiggle room but is it established after the Rashōmon poo poo that Luke definitely tried to kill his nephew in his sleep for having bad thoughts?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

No Mods No Masters posted:

The disney end game is a feature length light speed skipping sequence, with each skip lasting only as long as necessary to reveal a different set of toyetic droids, aliens, people (but I repeat myself), vistas, ships, things you remember, and etc. A sort of ikea catalogue as film

I know that the franchise’s toyetic qualities have been echoed for good reason, but it’s pretty incredible how they even fumbled that. Each movie had a cantina variant with a bunch of alien designs but they barely made any moves in the marketing. A few designs that got cut from TFA (the guy in the red suit, that Jakku guy with the wide brim hat) but those guys ended up warming pegs for months. For a company known for pumping out marketable characters, they did an amazingly terrible job at unique looking things to sell as toys. Really, the biggest things they’ve made were BB-8 and baby Yoda. They were so out of ideas that they tried to remake BB-8 again in DIO, who was already a remake of R2!

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Remember when Rey had force lightning and killed Chewbacca but then it turns out she didn’t and was never addressed again?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

2house2fly posted:

*rubbing temples* ok so... dogs exist in the Star Wars universe?

*Ahem* Actually Threepio was shooting at Jedi master D’aug’s who was actually a Tusken Raider who trained under Quinlan Vos, a Quermian ex-bounty hunter who went on to steal the Death Star plans at 4-LOM’s wedding and furthermore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Cartoon Man posted:

Meesa bustin’ with happiness.