Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

darth maul coming back sounds like it'll be the only good thing about this movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

Keep in mind, the spoilers say he’s in it for like a minute. A big reveal as a hologram. So don’t go expecting him to be the big villain of the whole movie.

oh so it's just the equivalent of marvel post-credits scene promising something interesting 3 years from now

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Nodosaur posted:

we already know what's next for Darth Maul though

Like, what's wrong with including small tie ins to established stuff? Maul's story has come and gone. This probably isn't even meant to hint at a bigger thing, it's just acknowledging stuff outside the films a little.

ehh, establishing that he's still alive for the normies who don't pay attention to the comics or cartoons wouldn't be done for no reason, they've clearly got plans to do something with him movie-wise

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

force awakens made 900 million dollars, last jedi made 600 million, rogue one made 500 million, it feels so hard to tell if the air is coming out of the star wars brand and this is a clear downward trend (that will probably continue with this movie) or if each thing is an individual case and none of it means anything particular, and it feels like this movie isn't a test case either.

Marvel is as close to a perfect upward arrow as you could imagine for it's A and B string movies, even DC movies roughly trend positive with every movie being more likely to make more money than less money than the ones before it. Star wars movies seem to actually be petering out. If this really does make less money and 2 A string and 2 B string movies is really enough to draw trend lines.

it's possible that TFA was the outlier because it got to ride the hype of 'first star wars in over a decade' and future films will stick around what TLJ and rogue one did now that it's a known quantity that we'll keep getting at bare minimum a new star wars every year

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

it might just be because it's being presented in a bullet point list of what happens but man the plot of this sounds kinda...scattered

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Calaveron posted:

To be fair you could probably do the same with empire strikes back and make it also seem scattered

yeah, it's possible it just reads that way because i'm already expecting the movie to be a mess

gotta wait for more reviews to know for sure i guess

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

rotj would be the real fun one to see internet reactions to

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

precision posted:

Yeah but I was expecting the movie to get eviscerated.

it's a star wars, that wasn't going to happen

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Robot Style posted:

After he didn't really do anything in the movie, one of the fan theories about the character was that he would be revealed to be Luke's mom in diguise in Episode 6.

this is incredible

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

phasma would get more to do in a theoretical movie series where they actually did anything with finn's first order background

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

I'm not even sure why John boyega/Finn are even in the movies .

someone had the neat idea of having a protagonist who was originally on the side of the baddies and wants to redeem themselves for the terrible things they were a part of but disney needed it watered down to avoid staining his 'likability' to the point that the writers had nothing left to do with him

that's my theory at least

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

kylo ren is the only new character in tfa, everyone else is a paper thin nothing even by star wars pulpy standards

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

hint: it's because a black man being the star of a disney property is a terrifying prospect for them

the central characters in the disney wars are: white lady (rey), white guy (ren), white lady (erso), white guy (solo), everyone else is just a sidekick while we pretend to care about diversity

racism isn't the whole story here though, it's not like tfa rey is any better than tfa finn

if anything the problem might be that they care too much about maintaining the image of diversity; ren the white man gets to be nuanced and flawed and passionate but rey and finn get a real kid's gloves treatment where they're just bland and mildly snarky because their depictions will get put under a microscope

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

no one shows romantic interest in tfa, really. SMG had it right when he compared it to sonic of all things

luckily TLJ escapes that and has dad luke walk in on the kids about to kiss and ruining the moment with some 'you are not to see that boy anymore!' dadding

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

I felt like that was in the finished movie anyway. :shrug:

yeah i never got the vibe that finn was straight up bailing on everyone at the start of TLJ

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

cuntman.net posted:

the real reason poe is a lovely character isnt because he makes bad decisions or whatever its because he is never in any threat in his space battle scenes and they are completely boring

it's because focus testing denied him the death he was fated for after helping finn out at the start of tfa

poe only exists as a person for about 20 minutes of film, everything after he's a soulless husk imitating one

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Nah they added him back in pretty early in production, it wasn't done in last minute reshoots.

you wouldn't know it from watching the finished product though

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

It’s very bad and a large part of why the Disney Wars are so bad.

they're more a symptom than a cause imo

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

galagazombie posted:

It's also part of the whole problem with these endless origin movies where literally everything Character X related from the original happened over this one weekend. Did we need to know the exiting origin of the Falcons GPS? It also leads to a problem I have that I don't really have a word or phrase to describe, but essentially it's "everything is important". the Falcon can't just have a wonky computer like everything else on the ship is wonky, It has to be the end result of some character arc and have "significance". Han can't just be calling the Falcon "baby" like people call their cars, no it's because now the ship is literally a girl robot. It makes the movie feel, I don't know, unreal?, ungrounded?, inhuman? Every line of dialogue from the original is taken so incredibly literally it's like the writers don't understand english.

it's the same kind of unearned importance and poring over details that leads to every background character in the OT and their mom having a backstory book in the old EU

it was dreadfully clear that disney was swallowing their own kool-aid about the importance of han solo's legend (even as a young pre-ANH dipshit) when lord and miller were chastised for treating the movie like a comedy. so everything that happens in this movie has to tie into the already existing legend by retroactively inflating the importance of every incidental detail

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

Sure. TLJ wasn't really that different from any other Star Wars movies but a lot (certainly not all, of course) of the fan criticism (as opposed to more general criticism) was that it was too different.

I guess a lot of it is about expectations (without going for the edgy "Yeah, I expected it to be good. :smug:" angle) and it's the same as the prequels. I think loads of people hated the prequels because they weren't the movies they were expecting. In TLJ's case it had two years of YouTube Star Wars Experts theorising about it, which none of the previous movies ever did.

this is deffo true, nothing in TLJ is all that out there for the kind of genre movie star wars has always been. the old broken hero gets a redemption and dies inspiring the next generation, the second part of the trilogy is the low point for the heroes, the charismatic antagonist second-in-command kills his superior to usurp his role.

TLJ was just uninterested in the mysteries TFA set up and had people speculating on for two years, which will be divisive for people depending on how much they gave a poo poo about those mysteries beforehand

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Zoran posted:

The main problem is that those mysteries were the only things in TFA that were remotely interesting.

that's kind of an interesting conundrum: should a direct sequel still feel beholden to what the previous movie set up if what the previous movie set up was pretty much crap

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

millions of dollars spent to pat angry star wars nerds on the tummy and tell them 'no you were right all along, you know han solo better than big bad george lucas'

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

adam driver is better than cool, he's hot

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

KaptainKrunk posted:

late-stage capitalist media empire makes...bad movies?

worse than bad, it makes forgettable movies

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

IX will do fine unless your expectations are for it to hit TFA money, cause I think they're not getting that lighting in a bottle twice unless they're willing to stop making star wars long enough for people to miss it

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

cuntman.net posted:

the funny thing is episode 8 seems to respect the prequels more than it respects episode 7

good

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

Is anyone really wondering if he’s going to be in episode 9?

no but i don't really wonder anything about episode 9 at this point

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Preston Waters posted:

And this is what it all boils down to. Almost every complaint about TLJ begins and ends with the fact that it wasn't exactly what the person had in mind. Tough poo poo, time to grow up.

what's truly impressive about TLJ though is how people with vastly different expectations still managed to be equally disappointed in it together

it's like a movie made out of the ethos of modern american centrism. you try to give everyone a little bit to like but you just end up giving everyone a little bit to hate

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Preston Waters posted:

If only everyone had the brain of a small child who likes backflips and poopy jokes

wow, check out this guy who thinks he's too good for backflips and poop jokes

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

I recall Hasbro saying that their licensed toy sales were down across the board last year but their in-house brands did better than expected. That said, I don't know how the toy business works, so whatever. I imagine kids are more into iPhones than toys in any event now and that's where they've missed a trick; they haven't rolled out a really popular Star Wars app. That would keep people enthused.

galaxy of heroes makes good money from what i recall hearing, even though it's pretty crap even by 'licensed gacha phone game' standards

e: just checked, it's currently at #17 on the android store's 'top grossing' chart, that ain't nothing to sneeze at

Brother Entropy fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 16, 2018

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

The main thread had around 180 new posts when I looked this morning. It now has about 220 new posts and I can't decide if it's worth it or not.

it's almost entirely people loving with jivjov because he's really easy to rile up by not caring about the idea of 'canon', up to you if that sounds like a good time

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

twists are supposed to be joyful?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Timeless Appeal posted:

I mean yes, but more I'm saying that your point that there are more jedis than the Skywalkers is pretty pedantic when the only ones that matter are basically father figures for Skywalkers in some way. Yoda, Jinn, and Obi-Wan are all part of the family at the end of the day. The rest of the Jedi existed to establish the world of the prequels than be actual characters on their own. Using them to refute Bushisms' point makes no sense.

what does any of that have to do with the claim that rey proves that anyone can be a wizard even if your parents were muggles

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

why do they keep adding characters?? the cast is already unwieldy as it is!

is it though? i've got plenty of problems with the sequels so far but the cast isn't all that bloated, especially now with all the OT big names gone

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the love child thing sounds weird and unexpected and liable to piss people off

so naturally i'm insanely skeptical that disney would go along with it

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the last jedi pissed some people off but there's not really anything in there that's all that weird or surprising. all that's really unexpected is that it had no interest in building off speculation-heavy narrative hooks that TFA set up

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Preston Waters posted:

this makes me believe it's all bullshit

either that or JJ apparently really is ignoring VIII and making a stinker of a movie

is that really all that unbelievable?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ecureuilmatrix posted:

That justification was argued in-universe, and even there was shot down:

man it's really hard to picture this dialog coming out of harrison ford's solo

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

No Mods No Masters posted:

Harrison ford would veto having to remember that many words

he'd be right to, it's smarmy but way too verbose to sound like han

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

How do you write a Kaiju monster fight movie without monster fight smack downs

you can, just make sure it's monster fight smackdowns and not slave soldier fight smackdowns