Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

stev posted:

I really hope Rian does get a trilogy at some point and he can just do a story on his own terms without the ghost of Abrams breathing down his neck.

e: he understood the prequels fine, his take was perfectly valid.

I would love more Rian Johnson star wars, but I question how Disney feels about the idea after how horrendously toxic fans got after TLJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Wait is your issue with the Ahsoka series the character of Baylan Skoll of all things?

This thread can be wild to read.

E: My bad, read out of context

Jehde fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 17, 2023

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah kinda what Luke did in the sequels, became a grumpy hermit/nomad.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Darko posted:

There's a traveling Star Wars burlesque show called The Enpire Strips Back. It was in Seattle when I was there and then is coming to my city now.

Was just told about them last night actually, in my city for the next couple weeks.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

Also I'm watching ESB now (impossible to only watch ANH, really) and while this is essentially a perfect film the only PT nonsense that gets in the way a bit is when Yoda and R2D2 are just going HAM at each other when they first meet because they've definitely met before right

Admittedly Yoda is probably as robot racist as the rest of the galaxy and doesn't know or care about the differences between droids but surely R2 is thinking "wow yoda is acting like a stupid dick right now what the hell"

I like to take it as a sort of "oh this motherfucker is back" for both of them.

I think the fan canon is that R2D2 basically got PTSD after he was abandoned on Mustafar by Anakin, and memory-holed the clone wars himself since. Yoda is old and senile.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Isn't that just Young Jedi Adventures?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Jerkface posted:

Empire has to palling around with the first order commander guy (the actor who did this at our show was great and he was having a blast with all the kids).

That's definitely one of the take aways I had from especially the Rise of the Resistance ride at Galaxy's Edge: Disney has a lot of staff that play alarmingly good fascists that are both child-friendly and unhesitatingly accommodating in whatever you need.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Final season of Bad Batch premieres in a couple weeks. Should be good for hating on a cartoon that's way better than it has any right to be.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The jedi engine was very much a reverse engineered and improved version of the doom engine. The sith engine is the same thing for the quake engine, where they added some features that would show up in quake 2.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

She's teased to be coming back for the latest season of Bad Batch.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah. I'm looking forward to Tech's return this season of Bad Batch as well.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

now to wait for Dark Forces II

:pray:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Are you loving kidding me? I was really looking forward to Respawn presents Dark Forces 5: The Mandalorian, as early in development it was. Blaming titanfall fans for this one. After the deplorable executives at EA that is.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I wish I could get full rips of that version to watch.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I think most fans of Star Wars would be fine with dead characters staying dead. Disney has purple lightsabers to sell though :capitalism:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

After watching clone wars I admit I'm a jar jar apologist. I think for most people clone wars just cemented their hate for jar jar though.

The other gungans were more egregious IMO

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Dash Rendar is fine, but he's no Kyle Katarn. I'm still enamored with the idea of an ex-stormstrooper turned jedi master. Disney really screwed the potential of Finn.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

Bounty Hunter Pursuit, Detective Obi-Wan, the Arena, and Dooku are the parts I revisit from AotC

The Podrace and Duel of the Fates from TPM

Anakin vs Obi-Wan from RotS

So, in theory, that makes AotC the best out of the three since there's more segments to rewatch, yes?

The "machete edit" (supposedly similar to Topher Grace's) annoys me with the weird aggressive cuts it makes a lot of the time. Like it starts off with the reveal of Maul at the start of the duel of the fates, but then fast forwards to Qui-gon getting got near the end. It skips most of the duel of the fates, and pretends the pod race never even happened.

I get that's mostly the point, the edit is made for people who hate the prequels entirely, and only serves to show the bare minimum of their story plot points to serve the overall narrative of the (machete order) original trilogy.

But it does make me vaguely think about editing my own prequels supercut that doesn't actually cut out that much and ends up being 4-5 hours long still. :shepface:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I loved the "Making Magic" behind the scenes CD that came with my box set of Dark Forces, Rebel Assault, Xwing vs TIE fighter, and demo disc of Jedi Knight. It was about the 1997 special edition changes, so it coloured my outlook on those a fair bit. At the time I thought the new CGI was cool.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Ubisoft made some great games :shrug:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

My only real issue was General Grevious, but that's my own personal head canon bias. I grew up thinking the only way you could use a crazy weapon like a lightsaber, which would burn you or sever a limb just by touching any part of it except the handle, was if you could use the Force and pre-determine where it would be (Han that one time was an exception, because he just barely used it to do a simple slice of a Tauntaun). And then here comes GG, a non-Force user, using 4 of the god drat things at a time so well he's killing Jedi with them, apparently. But I acknowledge that's a "me" problem.

The thing about Grievous is that he's a star wars cyborg, that is his immediately notable characteristic. As that applies to lightsabre combat makes a lot of sense, he is a sentient being (:can:) who leverages droid machinery to augment his understanding of lightsabre combat. It works really well for me. That he obsesses over collecting jedis' lightsabres (like some versions of EU Boba) is icing on the cake for his character building. That he's a massive coward that instantly retreats when things don't go his way is the strawberry on the icing.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I may be misremembering but I swear one of the rebels recon behind the scenes videos confirms that Katarn was a big inspiration for Kanan.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

Worth it to hear the podrace with theater speakers

Yeah looking forward to this tomorrow. And duel of the fates.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I got to watch A New Hope in cinema tonight, albeit the special edition. I think I finally understand the vitriol against the CGI of the special editions, finally seeing it on the big screen. I grew up being introduced to star wars with the 1995 releases, but only owned and rewatched the special editions on VHS. The special editions being on VHS did a lot to smooth over the new CGI introduced, so I never noticed it as being jarring inclusions. Still I don't think it's that bad. The most jarring part is still Greedo making an awkward missed shot at the same time as Han in the cantina. Also Han stepping on Jabba's tail in the Mos Eisley spaceport, which makes no sense in the context of who Jabba is, but makes a tonne of sense in the context of A New Hope being as silly of a movie as it is.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Jar jar is annoying as hell. If he did half of what he does he’d work better

Having rewatched it in theaters where I can’t use my phone when jar jar is on screen

Yeah... This was one of my big takeaways too. Over the years I had become somewhat of a jar jar apologist, with his much more downplayed inclusions in the later prequel movies and especially clone wars. I forgot how bad jar jar was out of the gates, and just how much they front load his awfulness in the first half of the movie. I feel so bad for Ahmed Best being done so dirty in his first role like that.

I also forgot how bad the acting was all around.

However the overall plot of the movie still holds up pretty well. The complaints about too much trade negotiation talk are overblown. It still moves like a star wars movie does.

Also the CGI holds up better than I expected. In the special editions of the original trilogy, the new CGI is just kind of shoehorned in randomly and it can be a little bit jarring seeing the new CGI in contrast with the old '70s film work. The Phantom Menace is much more cohesive, where you can still tell the CGI is pretty early, but it works much better with everything else going on. It's hard to deny that The Phantom Menace has a unique vision, and it mostly hits its mark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Star Wars: Why make him consume the fart like that?