Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
RIP. If someone had told him he'd die today, he would have talked about it yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

galagazombie posted:

Even people who have never seen Star Wars can describe an X-Wing to you, but they won't be able to remember anything from the Sequels.

They probably just guess going by the name because they desperately want to escape the conversation.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

It's like "Palpatine has a huge fleet that's gonna wipe everything out and we only have X days to stop him!!" I guess the idea is that Palpatine basically was broadcasting his plans to the whole galaxy? Who the gently caress knows.

I think Poe figured out that the fleet can't take off from Excelgol without some sort of signal because that planet is in hell, and it wont take off for xy more hours because of ???.

The scene reminded me heavily of this scene since I think he and the gang figure it all out from Sheev's broadcast.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Rogue One Vader is fighting to kill Leia in the past, and thereby prevent Episodes 8 and 9 from being made. I’ll leave it at that.

... gently caress, I'd watch TermiVader.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Rite Only Sacronyms

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Yeah, as much as the prequels improved on rewatches, the Dooku/Anakin and Dooku/Yoda fights right after are still very bad. Like, Clone Wars and other media certainly helped in understanding what they tried to get across, but the Dooku-Anakin fight looks terrible and the Yoda fight's goofiness is still very distracting.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

LionArcher posted:

The Jedi often look like stilted actors with no sword training.

I will have to agree with this. In concept, the scene where Windu says he didn't come alone and all the Jedi ignite their swords should be amazing. But they look like a bunch of clowns striking a pose. I guess it makes sense because they are, and a moment later it would be reveled that they walked into a trap. But I feel like that reveal would have worked a LOT better if you gave the Jedi a brief moment of looking awesome.

Then there are moments in the big battle that ensues where random Jedi swing their swords around like they are random people grabbed from the street and told to do what they thought was Jedi stuff.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

The Virgin Insanius and the Chad Plaguies

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I imagine George Lucas and Zack Snyder sitting at a huge table, Legion of Doom style. Who else would be there?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

2house2fly posted:

I assume it's directors who people think are evil because of memes- the idea that Lucas tried to cheat his ex-wife out of royalties, that Zack Snyder is right wing, etc

Yeah, this. Shyamalan would be another good fit, the amount of evil intent people ascribed to him making a couple of lovely movies was pretty funny for a while. Bay definitely, too.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Horizon Burning posted:

are any of those new series in the sequel trilogy-era?

Absence makes the heart grow fonder, so no.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

George H.W. oval office posted:

Spinoffs and series' for ... Moana ...? Who is asking for this poo poo

My Grendels and me. Though I strongly suspect the show will focus on Johnson's character and hardly feature Moana at all, which would be a crying shame. Part of what I liked about the movie so much is how little Moana would have of any of Maui's poo poo.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. ITS REVENGE OF THE SITH AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ANAKIN. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN ZOOMING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME JEDI SCUM OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE JEDI'S DOGMATIC CONSTRAINTS, I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING. THEN I LIFT

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I'm torn on Grievous' OneWheel. On the one hand, it's some Skeletor poo poo. On the other hand, it's some Skeletor poo poo, so who can really say it's bad...

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The interesting part of bringing Maul back seems to be entirely acknowledging that his actual role had long past, and he was discarded, left for dead and replaced by Palpatine without a second thought. And that left him with almost nothing, since he was pretty much at his martial peak and having been kidnapped as a baby and trained his whole life by Palpatine, the Dark Side was all he knew. (and yes, seems something of a counterpoint to the Jedi practice of taking infants to raise as their own)

To reach an understanding with your enemy and realise you wasted your life in the final moments of it seems to be a pretty samurai movie thing.

Sounds like a fine start to a fish out of water comedy, too.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

well why not posted:

I love to read Adult Novels particularly when it’s specified that they are Adult Novels.

Now sold in Adult Bookstores!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Ingmar terdman posted:

The rebellion is assembled from displaced and disaffected people. They're literally flying han solo's old ship around.

Are they, though? In TFA, the Resistance starts as a government-funded group lead by royalty with no clues as to the make-up of their general structure, members or recruiting. I guess by RoS you could infer that they had to take in everybody, but again there is nothing to suggest that Charlie from Lost has been stealing bread before he was stealing lines from Rose.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Horizon Burning posted:

Edit: lol nah what was here is just mean-spirited bragging about my own writing career

Well thanks for letting us know that much, weirdly antagonistic dick with absolutely no chips on your shoulder.

I haven't seen anything of the Mandalorian yet, what's the over/under on weeks I can still catch up on the good parts without those being soured by the latest episodes turning into Sequel TV?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Alchenar posted:

A little in isolation, but as an homage/reference to the Vader Rogue One scene it's great.

People tending to forget just how much of all Star Wars is homages to other things.

e: and if it was a pointless callback that would be bad, but the whole point of that sequence is to telegraph how powerful Luke is, so mirroring the same sequence that Vader had just adds a little something to something that could have been random.

Right, Star Wars used to be homages to all kinds if things. Now Star Wars is mostly homages to Star Wars.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Darko posted:

I did that my first time seeing RoS, but Episode 9 is just too transparently corporate decision making while being completely incoherent at any form of storytelling.

Movies that are so bad they're funny come from a Tommy Wiseau or a Coleman Francis where a director is pouring his soul out on screen and what you see is a window to a person that is unrecognizable as a human being to the point of fascination. Not from corporate marketing just ruining a product.

I mean, you can have hilarious insights into people even with corporate meddling. I'm thinking of the guy who would absolutely insist on putting giant mechanical spiders into projects until he finally saw his vision realized in Wild Wild West. There is nothing as funny happening or apparently happening with Star Wars right now. It's not about weird or misguided vision, it's about lovely interpretation of marketing statistics.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

What if everything we know what?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

cuntman.net posted:

i hope every porg dies

George Lucas has good news for you!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

FunkyAl posted:

Threepio should have been interrogated by one of the bad guys at some point, and produced no useful information. Imagine Hux or Kylo or any of the suits doing this. Threepio is just a head on a table and he's trying to be helpful and informative but he just isn't. They try jedi mind tricks but it doesn't work. It almost writes itself.

And then the heroes rescue him as an afterthought to their real, plot-relevant mission.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Not gonna click that link but I wonder if they at all touch on how jetpacks were used by bounty hunters for at least 30 years by that point in the franchise so it's kinda unremarkable that Stormtroopers have them now?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Boxman posted:

Detective Obi-Wan is really good, but imo its sorta ruined by the fact that the revelations just sorta float out. There's no drama to it, and even the characters barely react. I'm quoting myself here:

Obi-Wan finding the army is presented in this very matter-of-fact way that belies the fact that there is some profoundly bad poo poo going on. He finds out someone is using a dead Jedi's name to amass an unauthorized army and the reaction of 3 Jedi masters is "hm, that's not good, we'll keep an eye on that." Even when the clone army joins the fight, it's all played for spectacle until Yoda takes a moment to say "war were declared."

The Jedi don't know yet that they are in for a massive war against droids, and as far as they know, the clones are for them. It's the armed forces equivalent of receiving a dozen pizzas you didn't know you ordered, but which are also already paid for. If you listen closely to the music in that scene, you can hear Sheev cackling and hanging up the phone.

Like, Obi Wan being a bit of a dumbass and having the clues fall into his lap is the point. He is the cleverest of the Jedi and his bright idea is "Go to the place on the map that has been crossed out with a sharpie".

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

Someone do a double bill of Attack of the Clones and the Big Lebowski.

Quick and dirty:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The imagery of Padme drawing Anakin towards the fire-place ought to be pretty obvious, but Lucas also designed the dress’ tight collar to foreshadow her death.

This isn’t just a poetic device, but characterization: in (however playfully) accepting this dominatrix role, Padme has unconsciously set the stage for her own destruction. And, with her gone, there’s nothing between Anakin and the flames.

This imagery has been pretty consistently dismissed by fans, like Lucas just got too horny and accidentally made innocent Padme into a closet sadist.

Forget fans, this was called out in exactly the way you describe by RLM.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Jewmanji posted:

Eh. Jyn Erso is by far the worst lead character in the films. Utterly without charm or charisma.

I prefer her to Rey. Rey is just all over the place.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

It's a bit funny how little anyone in TFA cares about von Sydow's character. He seems to have strong ties to the Skywalker family but nobody ever stops to ask what happened to grampa dirtshirt later in the movie. He is forgotten as soon as him and Ren are done with their Vader/Obi Wan schpiel.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Also, and don't get me wrong here, when I saw what kind of video this was, I was really annoyed that I even clicked on the link. For the benefit of those who don't have show video inline activated, it would be nice if people wrote a little disclaimer when they post worthless clickbait garbage.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

2house2fly posted:

No matter where they're from, I think we can all agree the caliber of both actors is molto bene

Ah, Hungarian, the language of poetry.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Crackbone posted:

Way to poo poo the bed on your cushy acting gig with the biggest media empire in the world.

Please welcome our newest Fox News correspondent...

Also, probably headed to WWE to become women's champion.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Larryb posted:

He is but I don't believe he has quite as prominent a role (the little ball droid BB-8 kind of took his place).

Ahem, it's "little white cuck ball".

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Jewmanji posted:

BB-8 doesn’t “belong” to anyone. He’s not a slave. I’m not sure why it matters who he is spending time with anymore than it does matter who the human characters are spending time with

It doesn't really matter, but it's annoying/noteworthy because it is unclear. If BB8 were just a dude, it would stick out how he'd join quest party xy seemingly arbitrarily.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Vinylshadow posted:

What if (some) droids actually liked their lot in life

Not every droid had a restraining bolt, and many seemed to evolve far beyond their programming and were in fact essentially human

If you think droids are slaves, go give the comic where Artoo solos a Star Destroyer to save Threepio in Marvel Star Wars #36 (2017) a read

If you accept that droids are basically a species, it's a species that has mostly been enslaved. The existence of free individuals or droids who seemingly enjoy their position doesn't change that.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Szmitten posted:

You're all speaking as if the droid's roles and ownership in the prequel trilogy weren't equally minimal and chaotic.

R2 was Anakin's droid, like, he didn't suddenly join Obi Wan on his dick adventures in AotC. C3PO was Padme's droid, which was about as much as you could do with him.

Meanwhile, both the Republic and the Separatists using slave armies and the Jedi not giving a poo poo was a huge point in the movies.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Admiral Goodenough posted:

K2SO is treated like a person in Rogue One, as in like his free will is respected. Cassian treats him like a friend, and the rest of the rogue crew treat him as someone with their own agency. Jynn doesn’t trust him but it’s based on him being a former imperial droid. I think he talks about being reprogrammed like it’s something that liberated him, even if he isn’t necessarily grateful for it.

There’s a moment when they’re infiltrating the Scarif base where they meet a lot of other robots of his model and there’s a really stark, obvious difference between his almost human behavior and their machine like indifference to their surroundings. It’s very much Empire = enslavers, rebels = liberators

I got a slightly different read on K2. At times he reads as extremely bitter but resigned to his fate. He had to quietly serve the Empire and that was terrible, after the reprogramming he has to serve the Rebellion which is slightly better because at least he gets to speak his mind. At no point does he seem to be free to leave, though. And he doesn't really have any conviction to the cause. Even his sacrifice is more about helping his friends and what they fight for than fighting for an ideal of freedom or whatever.

Reminder that Jyn shoots a K2 unit and it gets played for laughs when K2 shows up right behind it, going "Did you know that wasn't me?!" He knows he's hosed and his brothers are hosed.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

A Snyder-directed Star Wars sounds like an exciting new way to piss off nerds. I'm all for it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I heard that Rian's new trilogy will reboot the old new trilogy, here is my source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Did I do this right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Glottis posted:

yeah but then if you watch ROS you wonder what all the characters introduced in TLJ are doing there, saying hi for 10 seconds and disappearing into only reaction shots

I doubt that seeing Rose zooming by with three lines of dialog in ROS would be more confusing than figuring out who Merry from Lost is and why people listen to him. In fact, I would like to see their actors swapped because I suspect it won't make much difference.