Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Whose side of the New War of Love & Brains are you on?
IshiBame
IshIino
View Results

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
NOTE: At the time of this post, Kaguya was at chapter 107. This post, and only this post, will be spoiler free, but if you're worried about spoilers don't read too far down thread!

WHAT IS THIS?

This is a thread for Kaguya Wants to Be Confessed To: The Geniuses' War of Love and Brains also known as Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen or, in the English adaptation, Kaguya-sama: Love is War.

Kaguya centers on the lives of two particularly stubborn Japanese teens at an elite academy who are infatuated with each other but whose giant egos make them see love as a battlefield... and whoever is the first to offer a love confession loses.

Kaguya is written and drawn by Akasaka Aka, who previously published the promising but truncated dark fantasy Instant Bullet. But unlike the bombs and monsters of that manga, here the characters fight with knowledge and Death-Note style planning and counter-planning.

That said, Kaguya is a romantic comedy, and more comedy than romance.

CHARACTERS

SHINOMIYA KAGUYA (aka Vice President, aka the Ice Princess)
Heir to the Shinomiya zaibatsu, one of the richest in Japan, Kaguya is a model student who scores the second-best grades in her class. She is cold and untrusting, a product of her merciless upbringing, but she's trying to change that.

She would never, ever date a mere commoner, but just might make an exception for Shirogane. Maybe if he got down on his hands and knees before asking.

SHIROGANE MIYUKI (aka President, aka the Monster Virgin)
One of the few commoners to be admitted to Shuchiin Academy, Shirogane maintains the highest grades in class and some of the best test scores in the entire country. He is kind, extraordinarily hard working, and completely dependent on caffeine to get him through the day.

He could, possibly, consider dating an aristocrat like Kaguya. Maybe if she came to him with a blush on her face and begged.

FUJIWARA CHIKA (aka Secretary, aka Subject F, aka the Love Detective (self-proclaimed))
The Secretary of the Student Council and wild card to the more straight-laced geniuses above, Fujiwara is a musical prodigy and member of the Board Game Club. She's kind-hearted and honest, except when playing a game, in which case she's a cutthroat liar. One of the few people who has gotten close to Kaguya.

PES
Fujiawara's very smart, good looking, and light-haired dog. Could he be part of a love triangle? What will this crazy dog get up to next?!

OTHERS
Hey wait, isn't three people a pretty small student council? And where are the other students? Maybe we'll get to meet them later.

WHERE CAN I READ THIS?

Kaguya spent her first ten chapters in Miracle Jump before moving to Weekly Young Jump. Chapter 11 is a soft reboot. As a reader you shouldn't care too much, but it could lead to some confusion with the chapter numbers because, for example, WYJ Chapter 30 is actually the 40th chapter.

The series has been through a number of scanlation groups. Psylocke Scans did a great job with the first 70 or so chapters, and you can find them over at Mangadex. More recently Jaimini's Box has taken over.

The nice people at Viz have started publishing the volumes under the somewhat unfortunate name Kaguya-sama: Love is War. I'm not fond of the name because it makes the series sound harsher than it is; "The Geniuses' War of Love and Brains" is so dumb that it reminds you that this is going to be a light-hearted comedy. I can't read Japanese, so I can't speak to the quality of the official translation, but I think the jokes land a little better in the Psylocke version and there's one localization that Viz did that's going to cause a minor plot problem down the line. Anyway, they've only released the first two volumes so far so we'll see how it goes.

WHY YOU SHOULD READ THIS

You should read this because it's funny, the characters are well-developed, and the series has a surprising amount of heart. What's more, Akasaka is genuinely clever. He does a great job of avoiding tropes (for the most part) and seeds chapters for plots that actually come to fruition much, much later. It's a fun read.

So check it out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Anime thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3878242

Also, given scanlator group changes, sites going down, etc., the easiest place to read the manga is https://guya.moe/read/manga/Kaguya-Wants-To-Be-Confessed-To/

Agronox fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 11, 2020

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Agronox posted:

there's one localization that Viz did that's going to cause a minor plot problem down the line.

I've picked up the two English volumes so far and haven't checked out the fan-translations, what's the mistranslation?

Also good job on the OP :thumbsup:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Making such a long and wordy OP for a simple dumb romcom manga? Are you really so enamored with the love exploits of a bunch of lonely teenagers?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

This manga makes me laugh every week but also I think it would be cool if they could make some progress ever.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Droyer posted:

This manga makes me laugh every week but also I think it would be cool if they could make some progress ever.
Story of pretty much every romcom sadly and even Kaguya can't break free of that curse, but at least the situations they continuously find themselves in have been great.

It can also bring it home when it needs to such as the Ishigami backstory chapters.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

this is my favorite manga.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
It's fine if the romance doesn't go forward as long as there's emotional bangers like the fireworks arc every couple dozens of chapters.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I think seeing the same overthinking mind games framework applied to them actually dating would be funny so regardless of whether it's any time soon I hope it doesn't just immediately end when they get together.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
quote if you would join Fujiwara's board game club

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

this is my favorite manga.

It’s also my favorite ongoing one

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Snooze Cruise posted:

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Droyer posted:

Shirogane, at least, is now fully aware that he likes Kaguya and has almost broken the deadlock once.

Meanwhile, Hayasaka is the only person who 100% knows who Kaguya likes, including Kaguya.

Ishigami and Iino will probably figure out their relationship before K&S do.

My endgame bet: Fujiwara finds out (or ALWAYS KNEW ALL ALONG) and ends the war with a huge sign reading "YOU BOTH LOVE EACH OTHER, YOU IDIOTS".

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
At this point the only way the stalemate will end is if Hayasaka concocts some plan so they both confess at the same time.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i like that kashiwagi and her boyfriend easily surpassed the geniuses by acting like regular people instead of weird prideful idiots

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
those two idiots are so incredibly difficult that no one but each other could tolerate being in a relationship with them.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Droyer posted:

they're pretty much already dating and are entirely unaware of it, so there's not really much progress to make

Mirage posted:

My endgame bet: Fujiwara finds out (or ALWAYS KNEW ALL ALONG) and ends the war with a huge sign reading "YOU BOTH LOVE EACH OTHER, YOU IDIOTS".

they're also already aware of this but whoever says it first will forever be the loser

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i like that kashiwagi and her boyfriend easily surpassed the geniuses by acting like regular people instead of weird prideful idiots

I'm rooting for Maki to ruin their relationship and take the boy for herself because I am a bad person apparently :unsmigghh:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The only thing everyone can agree on is that being Hayasaka is suffering.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Super Jay Mann posted:

The only thing everyone can agree on is that being Hayasaka is suffering.

fujiwara is shirogane's hayasaka

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
I love this manga

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

btw Aka is a genius

quote:

The Council Members' and some other characters' names are based on the Princes and the Impossible Requests in the Tale of the Bamboo Cutter.

The Princes that tried to marry Kaguya-hime are, in order:
Ishidzukuri no Miko (石作 皇子) - Iino Miko (伊井野 ミコ)
Kuramochi no Miko (車持 皇子) - Fujiwara no Fuhito (藤原 不比等) (Real Life Model for the Prince) - Fujiwara Chika (藤原 千花)
Abe no Miushi (阿倍 御主人)
Ootomo no Miyuki (大伴 御行) - Shirogane Miyuki (白銀 御行)
Isonokami no Maro (石上 麻呂) - Ishigami Yu (石上 優)

The Impossible Requests they received were:
Ishidzukuri/Iino - Stone Begging Bowl of the Buddha (仏の御石の鉢) - Oosaragi Kobachi (大仏 こばち/小鉢) (lit. means "Great Buddha", "Small Bowl")
Fujiwara/Kuramochi - Jeweled Branch from Hourai (蓬莱の玉の枝)
Abe - Robe of the Fire-Rat (火鼠の裘)
Ootomo/Shirogane - Jewel from a Dragon's Neck (龍の首の珠)
Isonokami/Ishigami - Cowry Shell Born from a Swallow (燕の産んだ子安貝) - Koyasu Tsubame (子安 つばめ/燕) (lit. means "Cowry", "Swallow")

Which means the Final Student Council Member will be:
Abe no Miushi (阿倍 御主人) - Abe Kazune (阿部 和音)

Ootomo's Treasure would be:
Jewel from a Dragon's Neck (龍の首の珠) - Ryuujugumi (龍珠組) (lit. means "Dragon Pearl Group") - Astronomy Club President (Yakuza Girl)
Which means Yakuza Girl is going to become acquainted with Shirogane

Also, the Emperor who tried to marry Kaguya-hime afterwards is
Mikado (帝) - Shijo Mikado (四条 帝) (Number 1 in the Mock Exam, Maki's brother)

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Snooze Cruise posted:

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Super Jay Mann posted:

Making such a long and wordy OP for a simple dumb romcom manga? Are you really so enamored with the love exploits of a bunch of lonely teenagers?

Well played!

Julias posted:

I've picked up the two English volumes so far and haven't checked out the fan-translations, what's the mistranslation?

Also good job on the OP :thumbsup:

Thanks! And actually I think I'm wrong about the localization problem. In the fan translations, Kaguya always refers to Shirogane as "President," up until the Fireworks arc, when she finally calls him by name, which is kind of a big step. In Viz she refers to him as Shirogane from the beginning.

But I checked the chapters and I was wrong about that; she never calls him Shirogane in the fireworks chapters. So I'm misremembering something along the line.

Snooze Cruise posted:

So far they've been shown playing Catan, Dominion, their "Life" variant, and some home-brew LARP thing.

I'd join!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I was catching up in the manga recently, and the part where Fujiwara is rapping to Shirogane was really funny (the translators did a really great job of making it work in English). So was the part where Kaguya gets a smart phone. I feel like this manga is possibly the only romcom I've read that has a formula that I think could continue more or less indefinitely. It actually vaguely reminds me of Sayounara Zetsubou-sensei in the sense of each chapter having some specific topic that the jokes are based around.

I was a bit confused by the part where Ishigami and Iino reveal they like each other (in the context of someone mentioning "this seems like the way people who like each other act") and then soon after it's revealed Ishigami has a crush on that third year girl from his cheer squad. Presumably the former was meant to be platonic, but I was always under the impression they were setting the two of them up.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

that confused me as well. just poorly phrased i suppose.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Ishigami is gonna end up rejected by the senpai. It's an impossible request after all

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Shirogane teaching Fujiwara how to rap so that she could teach him was extremely good and convoluted.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shirogane being super into rap and freestyle rapping a bunch at home is pretty hilarious.

After looking at the Shokugeki no Souma thread I was reminded of another really funny part, when Fujiwara is making up a bunch of bullshit about the food she was served like a SnS judge and is just totally wrong.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 15, 2018

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

My favorite Fujiwara moment is when she blatantly cheats at the card game, gets called out on it and apologizes, and then immediately cheats again in a completely different but equally blatant way with no remorse.

Truly a politician's daughter.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
this is probably my favorite ongoing at the moment, it's great

miko iino is insufferable though, and not in a good way

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i liked the recurring gag where she would always walk into the student council office at the worst possible times

but yeah, she's terrible. ishigami should definitely not have sent her that encouraging letter, but then he does a lot of very dumb things.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Iino is a good girl who is doing her best, don't bully her.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Womanlet will have to keep suffering for disparaging Ishigami.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Super Jay Mann posted:

Iino is a good girl who is doing her best, don't bully her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Wait, what’s wrong with Iino?