Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Whose side of the New War of Love & Brains are you on?
IshiBame
IshIino
View Results

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Gravy Boat 2k
I think she could out sumo the dang Hulk if she really worked at it. She works hard!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Hyasaka gets SheHulk powers, Chica gets both of her hearts desires.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

I hope she gets hit by a car, and standing over her broken body Ishigami realizes that he never even liked her. As the final sparks of life in her are going out Ishigami turns around without bothering to call an ambulance, trash on the road is more of a sanitation issue than an emergency.

Don’t post here

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Namtab posted:

I think it’s less him being coy or anything like that and more him deciding that having Chika’s role in the story is better as a more static thing. She’s kinda the student council character without a real arc because she enters the story in her actualised state.

The throne of the ramen emperor is a lonely one.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

I vote we all ignore that and move on to discussing if Subject F could become the world champion of Sumo

She'll win by challenging them to tabletop games.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
This has been a pretty satisfying denouement arc, really glad that the comic has had a good ending/send-off because solidifies how loving amazing it is.

The official translations for this were pretty bad right? I sorta remember they made some eh localization choices or something. I probably wouldn’t collect anyway, I mostly like having physical copies to shove into people’s hands to read, and the anime is good enough to hook people.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I read the official translations for most of the series since it’s on the Jump app and liked them better than the fan translations when I read the equivalent chapters. It’s possible the official translation was just making poo poo up but there’s some points where it made more sense, like Ino’s drunken rant at the New Year’s Eve party being about Ishigami leering at Tsubame versus her in the fantranslation.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The first couple of volumes have noticeable problems, like off the top of my head I think everyone's calling everyone else by their given name right from the start. They switched translators after that and it's been much better since.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Dabir posted:

The first couple of volumes have noticeable problems, like off the top of my head I think everyone's calling everyone else by their given name right from the start. They switched translators after that and it's been much better since.

Is that really a problem in a localisation though? English readers don’t generally call people by surname

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Namtab posted:

Like I don’t know where you’re getting this convoluted theory from when the ending is literally just “Ishigami and Iino wound up in a love is war situation” and you’ve spent near 300 chapters seeing how that plays out

The flash forward chapter with the college era drinking party where they are not, at least openly, in a relationship

Like I'm not saying that they're not interested in one another, but for all the framing of it as a redux of Shinomiya and Shirogane, the dynamic is pretty profoundly different, and my personal quibble with their relationship where Iino is SOMEHOW less well-adjusted than the former incel gamer nerd Ishigami remains intact

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The flash forward chapter was a dream, and Iino and Ishigami have both had character development since they were introduced.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Namtab posted:

Is that really a problem in a localisation though? English readers don’t generally call people by surname

I honestly don’t remember how much this was a thing in Kaguya, but when there’s important beats of relationship progression by how people call each other by last name/first name and honorifics, that usually gets lost in localization. Also the awkwardness trope when they meet the family and last names apply to everyone.

Like IIRC wasn’t it a big deal when Kaguya started calling him Shirogane instead of President in the scanlations? I think Kaguya showing a level of coldness to Shirogane is important for the development, if she was calling him Miyuki from the beginning it would really clash with my view of the comic.

The different style is probably something that’s not such a big deal when you read it fresh, but the scanlators have taken a lot of care and effort in the localization for the whole series (even more so since jaminisbox dropped it) and I like the style of how I experienced it.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Namtab posted:

The flash forward chapter was a dream, and Iino and Ishigami have both had character development since they were introduced.

They all just want the Ishigami harem end, these sickos will never get it.

Real heads want to see Osaragi with a happy ending and are wondering if Momo’s final chapter is next

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

OnimaruXLR posted:

The flash forward chapter with the college era drinking party where they are not, at least openly, in a relationship

Like I'm not saying that they're not interested in one another, but for all the framing of it as a redux of Shinomiya and Shirogane, the dynamic is pretty profoundly different, and my personal quibble with their relationship where Iino is SOMEHOW less well-adjusted than the former incel gamer nerd Ishigami remains intact

You say “somehow” like it’s a surprise, even early on Ino was way more of a weirdo/otaku than Ishigami at his most peak incel on top of being a latchkey kid with massive emotional baggage and a childish worldview due to her emotionally negligent parents.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Namtab posted:

Maybe, but they're culturally Japanese characters in a Japanese school in Japan. If you want to discount that, there's plenty of precedent for English children to call each other by surname in the kind of upper-class school that Shuchiin would be equivalent to. It's a bit archaic and excessively formal, but, uh, have you seen what Shuchiin is like? And Kaguya herself especially? And besides, Kaguya worrying about what to call Shirogane as they get closer is a fairly big part of their relationship's development, there's an entire chapter dedicated to her working up the courage to call him Miyuki instead of "President". If you have that barrier broken down from chapter 1 page 1 then that whole chapter makes no sense.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I get why people are disappointed that he didn’t get together with Tsubame but that wasn’t really what his character arc was about. When Ishigami is first introduced he’s affected by his personal trauma to the point where he gets down over minor failures and has little to no confidence in himself. Despite that though he’s fundamentally a decent person. The point of his arc, and the reason him not winding up with Tsubame works, is because his arc is about him gaining confidence and learning to live with personal failure. He realises in the end that Tsubame isn’t into him and doesn’t take advantage of her.

Meanwhile Iino’s personal trauma and arc is an interesting contrast. Years of neglect by her parents have caused her to try too hard and become overly rigid. Her arc is about learning to accept other people including their failings, and to funnel her energy into making things better for everyone instead of focusing on just her own ideals. Ignoring obvious tells like the flower, it’s these comparative yet contrasting arcs that makes them interesting, and it’s why I find their pairing more interesting.

I wonder if the goon dislike of Iino comes in part from her being the only student council member who starts off directly antagonistic. I don’t know. I make no secret of the fact that she’s my favourite character in this and it’s confusing how people cant see the growth of her and Ishigami as people over the course of the series.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I find that there are some people who quite like Iino and Ishigami as characters and appreciate their growth as characters and how it was executed in the story but are otherwise mostly ambivalent about specifically their prospective romantic relationship.

And by some I of course mean me.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Namtab posted:

I wonder if the goon dislike of Iino comes in part from her being the only student council member who starts off directly antagonistic. I don’t know. I make no secret of the fact that she’s my favourite character in this and it’s confusing how people cant see the growth of her and Ishigami as people over the course of the series.
When Kaguya is introduced, we already know she's head over heels for Shirogane and we experience all the moments of her being (in her own words) an awful woman to Shirogane and everyone else around her in flashback. With Iino, we were taken through the whole process from beginning to end: from dogmatic brat to an upstanding young woman who's capable of being in a relationship. This also means us the readers are more acutely aware of the times when Iino treated Ishigami like crap and the many times (not all) when he wouldn't retaliate out of a sense of self-loathing/mild masochism.

For the record, my ishigami top ship was onodera, then osaragi once her backstory was revealed

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean there is also the dark horse 'maybe everyone doesn't meet their true love in high school'

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Coaaab posted:

For the record, my ishigami top ship was onodera, then osaragi once her backstory was revealed

When's the last time we saw Onodera anyway?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Clarste posted:

When's the last time we saw Onodera anyway?

I think Miko asked her to join the StuCo but she declined.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

chiasaur11 posted:

Maybe, but it's unlikely. It's a seinen magazine, from the same publisher as Shonen Jump, and Shonen Jump itself ran a color spread of a full-on lesbian orgy.
Well, I'm clearly reading the wrong titles.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

Well, I'm clearly reading the wrong titles.

Well, Chainsaw Man just got an anime this season, so it should be easier to catch up. That scene won't be until season 2, though.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, Chainsaw Man just got an anime this season, so it should be easier to catch up. That scene won't be until season 2, though.
Is Chainsaw Man actually any good? Everything I've seen just makes me go "eh, really? this?"

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Whwt have you seen? It’s obviously hyper violence incarnate given it’s premise, but it’s also a pretty good story about a downtrodden loser.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

Is Chainsaw Man actually any good? Everything I've seen just makes me go "eh, really? this?"

Very good.

(Kind of on topic, the artist for Oshi No Ko, Mengo Yokoyari, is a bit obsessed with Chainsaw Man.)

If you want something quicker to see if you like the author's style, he's got a couple one-shots on the Jump site. "Goodbye Eri" and "Look Back". Both are exceptional, with amazing panel composition.

I don't want to oversell things, but Chainsaw Man is one of the best manga I've seen in recent years, and volume 11 finishes the main arc for the first part in a satisfying way, even if it picked up again this year.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Last Celebration posted:

Whwt have you seen? It’s obviously hyper violence incarnate given it’s premise, but it’s also a pretty good story about a downtrodden loser.
Yeah, mostly the hyper violence incarnate stuff. THIS DUDE HAS A CHAINSAW FOR A HEAD, HE DOES LOTS OF VIOLENCE WITH IT, IT'S A CHAINSAW, ISN'T THAT AWESOME, WOOOOOOO. I'll give it a try.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Chainsawman is what you'd expect at first, but it gets a lot weirder and sadder as it goes along.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, mostly the hyper violence incarnate stuff. THIS DUDE HAS A CHAINSAW FOR A HEAD, HE DOES LOTS OF VIOLENCE WITH IT, IT'S A CHAINSAW, ISN'T THAT AWESOME, WOOOOOOO. I'll give it a try.

.....is that what you thought the entire thing was? You just thought it went a hundred issues with the "The chainsaw guy chainsaws things and people go "Whoo he did a chainsaw!"?

Because it's more a kind of bittersweet reflection on the hardship of trying to make connections with other people and find your way in a completely apathetic world. Told through a lens of a dude that has chainsaw powers.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

You should all read and post in the chainsaw man megathread to talk about the guy with a chainswaw

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I'm glad that Ishigami and Iino can be happy together.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mulva posted:

.....is that what you thought the entire thing was? You just thought it went a hundred issues with the "The chainsaw guy chainsaws things and people go "Whoo he did a chainsaw!"?

Because it's more a kind of bittersweet reflection on the hardship of trying to make connections with other people and find your way in a completely apathetic world. Told through a lens of a dude that has chainsaw powers.

I mean before I read it that is what I assume because literally every post I saw about it was "Look at the chainsaw man do the violent thing" and how funny it was.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Ishigami and Chainsaw Man are alike in that they were both disappointed the first time a girl offered to let them touch her boobs.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Super Jay Mann posted:

I find that there are some people who quite like Iino and Ishigami as characters and appreciate their growth as characters and how it was executed in the story but are otherwise mostly ambivalent about specifically their prospective romantic relationship.

And by some I of course mean me.

That's pretty much where I'm at. I just never felt their chemistry landed for me compared to pretty much every other girl Ishigami had a thing teased with, though it also might be biased by Ishigami being my favorite character and I enjoyed all those other dynamics more thus him and Iino just never worked for me by comparison.

Overlord K fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 24, 2022

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
The Geniuses'

Sadly it looks like our time is coming to an end.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Missed a chance for Kaguya to say How Cute

Tho I expect that's in the next chapter.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
This chapter really solidifies the feeling that Aka meant Mikado to be a more major character but then ran out of time.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Mind games out of 10

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Since When were you under the impression that you were under the impression Shijo?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The Shijos truly are cursed, aren’t they.