Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Find out about Chillstopher's first Adventure here!

: gently caress with my son and find out what happens if I get a move on...

Hello everybody! It's time for the exciting, action-packed sequel to Chillstopher's slow and steady first Adventure! It's bigger, it's better and it has actual polish to it! Yes, this is from an era in games where getting a sequel could mean a vast improvement. It's obvious that the developers didn't know what to do with the Game Boy's hardware at all, and how could they, it being the first year of the console's existence? Well, it's 1991 now, the cartridge size has doubled, and Chillstopher suddenly knows how to move without having to consider his next action for half a year. He's still kinda slow but hey - it's been 15 years. He's probably got knee problems as an excuse now.

There are again four stages...to choose from at the start! While we won't get a different weapon at the end of each to defeat the next boss quicker, it's a nice thing to see because it means that if you get stuck somewhere, you can just try a different level before you get frustrated. A huge, huge quality of life improvement just for the ability to finish the drat thing is the introduction of a password system, meaning you don't have to beat the entire game in one go. And finally, a very pleasant surprise, mid-level continue points. Should have just dropped the life system entirely then imo but you can't demand that of a game from back then, of course.

Hearts are now ammo again so the series superfans don't get confused or something, and health is hidden in walls (boo!). Christopher has now access to two special weapons instead of none. He doesn't instantly lose his whip powerup anymore (!!!), only after taking a certain amount of damage. Bosses still have to be activated by a weird flashing orb, but at least it's a little more dramatic this time.

I found the Manual again, but no good scans of it, unfortunately. So I'll leave the link for you if you want to destroy your eyes trying to read it instead of blurry pictures. Check out that terrible pun at the start, though!

I butcher the explanation in the first video a little, so again, taken from the manual and nowhere else because I don't care if it was retconned later: Christopher has a son called Soleiyu (that's a weird choice for someone with a basic-rear end name as him, with a grandfather named "Trevor" and a grandson called "Simon", but I digress), and 15 years after Dracula was "defeated", it's time for Soleiyu's coming of age ceremony. This apparently involves him receiving the mystic Belmont family powers of "able to whip dracula into submission" and after he'll be a proud vampire hunter, which makes little sense because for all they know, Christopher took care of the vampire problem quite nicely not too long ago. But people who watched the credits to the end obviously know he didn't, so it's probably a smart move anyway.
The manual claims that Dracula survived the castle's collapse by turning into mist, and that he's now trapped in that form because he lost a lot of his powers. Seeing as he flew away in bat form at the end of Adventure, that's obviously bullshit, but I never claimed the manual's story made sense. Anyway, Drac is pissed with the general situation but senses a chance to revive by using the undefined powers of the Belmonts against them. Employing the last of his strength, he transforms Soleiyu into a demon, who then Belmont-magics Dracula back alive. Drac then builds four castles overnight just because he can. Everyone is rightfully confused about what the gently caress just happened (as am I), but because Christopher was always quite a smart protagonist (seeing as he didn't want to do all of that poo poo in his first game), he figures out what's up immediately.

Fueled by the powers of dadass, he takes up the whip again, finds a backpack with an axe and holy water compartment, and goes off to finish the job.

As I have hinted at in the last thread, this game is completely new to me, so I'll take this as an opportunity to do a blind run. Depending on how well I do and how much interest there is, I might do a second set of videos with practiced gameplay and - to emphasize the difference and because I honestly forgot to do this from the get-go - on the Game Boy Color version of the game. First, however, I will complete it fully blind and get feedback from you guys, so hope you don't hate me discovering things too much! If I die too often, I'll of course edit, but I think the first video is an okay amount of replaying and figuring things out. Please complain if you find it boring, though, and I'll try to improve.

Stage thoughts I Stage thoughts II Stage thoughts III Stage thoughts IV

Stage thoughts CV1 Stage thoughts CV2

Final thoughts

Composer Hidehiro Funauchi did an amazing job with the tools he was given. It's rare to hear a Game Boy game utilize the hardware so well; with just a few missteps, there's some very solid basslines and sick harmonies here. Apart from the overall quality, there's also some wonderfully fun standout tracks, my personal favourites being Praying Hands and Psycho Warrior. Definitely a classic, though personally I prefer the crazier melodies of the first game; objectively, these are probably better and more varied composition though.

Opening
Castle [Password]
Journey to Chaos [Stage Select]
Castle #2 [Stage Map]

Ripe Seeds [Plant Castle]
Psycho Warrior [Rock Castle]
Praying Hands [Cloud Castle]
New Messiah [Crystal Castle]

Road of Enemy [Before Boss]
Evil Gods [Boss Fight]

Original Sin [Dracula's Castle Part 1]
Passepied [Dracula's Castle Part 2]

Soleiyu's Room
Faith [Talking to Soleiyu]
Chromatische Phantasie [Soleiyu Battle]

Road of Enemy #2 [Before Dracula]
Sons of Satan [Dracula Battle]

Union [Ending]
The End of the Day [Staff Roll]

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jul 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Free for more (all the fanart of beefcake Christopher I'll get for sure)

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Stage Thoughts
  • The fact that you can choose each of the four castles at the start means that if the game is well designed, they should be about equal in difficulty, and can't be too hard. However, because you can always choose another stage if you have a problem segment in one, they can up the difficulty a little. This one is for sure harder than a typical "first stage", but it's perfectly reasonable so good job on that. Unless I find out later that this is the only reasonable stage, but we'll see!
  • In comparison to the first game, the level is a lot larger, but it goes by quicker especially because Christopher doesn't fall asleep on the ropes anymore. You also have to do way less enemy micromanagement like with the birds that come from behind, the jumpers or bats in general in the first game.
  • The things that jump at you in the beginning segment are way too fast to see coming. Fortunately Christopher is no longer quite as sluggish with the whip, but I don't see how I could have avoided those hits regardless. The bats I was just bad at, I'm sure you can manage those now that you're no longer surrounded by honey.
  • I am super impressed by the moveset of the rope skeletons as well as with what they did with the spiders. The former might be still a little too quick but it's okay especially when compared to mainline Castlevania, there were some bullshit fast fuckers there too. The latter I'm quite happy about being slow to fire - if you hoof it (my preferred method of movement in platformers), you're gonna be fine, and that's just perfect pacing imo.
  • The first game had some path choices that were semi-meaningful (stay on top with all the hearts, or go down for no reward to fight a Zeldo!), now you actually have a good selection of paths to take, not a mean feat on the small gameboy screen. This makes a second attempt more juicy, as you can check out what you missed, try to stay on top etc. - it's just more fun that way.
  • I completely didn't realize it when playing, but the music "skip" as we near the boss is actually a change in track because there's a separate "getting close to the fight" music. That's honestly super cool but was absolutely lost on me because I only notice music when it's super in-your-face catchy.
  • The boss is a very neat example of strategic complexity through simple elements. Each of them moves, as does the platform in the middle, but just up and down. And they both fire, but only one at a time, and always the same pattern. AND it's super telegraphed. So while there's a lot going on, you can easily see everything coming, and position yourself accordingly. This works perfectly with Christopher's limited moveset, and is the way to do bosses in games like this imo. The hitbox seems generous and it's tailor-made to be hit with the axe, which you're guaranteed to have. Excellent boss and not too hard to boot!
  • Aesthetics: enemies look great (far better than the three pixel abominations of the first game), the background animations rock, but I resent that half the castle is in a cave - give me more plants in the plant level! I liked the super energetic and catchy first stage music of the predecessor more, but that's personal taste. This one has far better instrumentation for sure!
Overall, nicely varied level, quite fun to play, not-obnoxious boss. Makes me look forward to more!

Music

Opening
Journey to Chaos [Stage Select]

Ripe Seeds [Plant Castle]

Road of Enemy [Before Boss]
Evil Gods [Boss Fight]

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
Yesss, was waiting for this. At uni now so will check video later, but Godspeed, Simon. Although it looks like this is unfortunately less of a trainwreck than the first one.

Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013
This video was cool and I look forward to more in the future.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3T0q0gXapQ

Feel obligated to post this video. Castlevania has amazing and groovy music, and it's know to (sorta) know why.

Always excited to see a new thread from you Simon!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The whip is definitely faster than last time. Now we're playing Castlevania!
I like what I'm seeing already, the background animation is very cool and makes pretty great use of the gameboy's criminally limited palette. The rope climbing is actually utilized pretty well with those cool jumping skeletons. I also dig the rolling eyeballs on bridges where you need to actively decide whether to whip them or jump over them and plan around the environmental hazards in doing so. The boss is also pretty dynamic and different from what you'd have seen in the NES games. The only boss in those that made use of moving platforms was the very last boss of Castlevania 3 iirc, and that fight was against a still statue that was designed as background tiles rather than a moving sprite.

The game still seems to be struggling against the constraints of the tiny Gameboy screen here and there. You can see those eyeballs before the boss getting piled up on each other as you scroll past them because of how the spawning works. Still, I like what i see!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I'm very impressed by what they did with the ropes, yeah. It seems that for CV:TA they decided to replace the NES' love of stairs with ropes because
a) no horizontal distance covered while traveling up on ropes => level design can be more horizontally constricted in general
b) stairs were iffy at best in the NES games, no way they could program solid stair physics (including whipping on them) on the GB, so they threw them out...including the whipping
c) easier screen transitions, unless things keep spawning where the rope is, and they just decided to throw their hands in the air on that and put invincibility items in front
d) you can actually make more with ropes than stairs, at least compared to the NES games, because those just lock you onto the stairs and that is your life now, so enemies interacting with you being on the stairs will always just be a timing thing. With ropes, you can jump from one to the other, jump off at a certain point, have enemies also be on the ropes...

...of course, CV:TA never did anything really interesting, but this game already makes up for that in spades. Traversal can be super exciting like you're playing Tarzan (or Donkey Kong but let's not set our sights TOO high here), if it's smooth and you can just get going, and lo and behold, you can do that on a Gameboy. Stage 3's left-scrolling abomination in CV:TA almost pulled off that excitement factor but...Chillstopher.

Honestly? The stairs in the NES games can go gently caress themselves, I think they're super garbage and absolutely unfun because oh no a skeleton walked into my hair pixels guess I'll lose health with no animation to accompany it. That's super janky. Every other review of CV:TA I read that's not "lol at this garbage" states that it doesn't feel like Castlevania because it has hearts as health and no stairs and get the gently caress out of here with that nonsense. It's thinking like this that leads to every Mega Man having Yoku blocks and quick lasers because "it wouldn't be Mega Man otherwise".

Blue Labrador posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3T0q0gXapQ

Feel obligated to post this video. Castlevania has amazing and groovy music, and it's know to (sorta) know why.

Always excited to see a new thread from you Simon!
Thanks!

The video is super interesting and now I'm addicted to the channel. It helps that I know how to read sheet music - I learned to play classical piano for 12 years. What does NOT help however is that I am completely inept in actually listening to music; most of the "chords make this neat progression" stuff he talks about is super lost on me because I don't hear the chords, just the main melody. Though it for sure subconsciously influences my impression of the entire thing, so it's great to think about it. And obviously I'm into overanalyzing things, heh.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think the biggest problem with stairs was that they didn't mesh well with the controls for item throwing. You gotta hold up to throw items, but up also makes you go up stairs. If you're standing between two staircases and try to use your subweapon, unless your timing is perfect you'll start going up the stairs. Same if you're already on a staircase. With how important your positioning is in these games, accidental movements like these can easily send you into an enemy projectile and get you killed. Or Richter/Simon will turn around to face up the stairs and your attack will miss. You might also try to crouch and accidentally go down a nearby staircase instead.

There are some decent set-ups involving staircases in Castlevania III (a game I absolutely adore) but the way stairs were implemented just adds too much messiness to what is otherwise a solid control scheme. There was probably some kind of coding issue that made it so that they couldn't do vertical screen transitions any other way, that's usually the case with NES games.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Simply Simon posted:

Christopher has a son called Soleiyu (that's a weird choice for someone with a basic-rear end name as him, with a grandfather named "Trevor" and a grandson called "Simon", but I digress)

That's the translators not quite getting what the original writers were going for, it's actually supposed to be "Soleil".
Though I guess you could argue that's an odd choice as far as this family goes, too. Maybe Christopher's wife was French?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I can dig the new format for the videos. Also liking the massive improvements to this game, it actually looks playable and interesting instead of agonizing. I'll still hold reservations for endgame though.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Why is it so off-centered, and also why is the text closer to the picture than in the Plant Castle intro??

Stage Thoughts
  • The mudmen behave like red skeletons, but without the pile of bones. It's a little weird.
  • Fitting that the first's game's second boss is deemed basic enough to just be a normal enemy here. It's not even hard at all.
  • Same for the "pencils" that are now recognizable as actually dangerous stakes with spikes and such. They're really easy if your movement isn't crazy bad.
  • Really wanna know if there's something down that pit. I can always replay the game, though, and so far that wouldn't be bad because it's quick and fun!
  • The candles as light switches for the enemies is utterly brilliant, and I'm still in awe at the idea. It makes so much sense and yet they've never done that in any other Castlevania I know. Also, sick ripoff of Donkey Kong Country's darkness makes invincible enemies move gimmick!!!
  • I am however disappointed that they don't use it for any puzzles (that I could see). As the enemies stop moving again once the light comes back on, and you can then use them as platforms, there might be something there. There could still be if there's secret rooms I don't know about!
  • Generally, because you know that there's goodies in the candles and maybe very good goodies, it's a great risk-reward thing in general. Could actually be a little harder in my opinion.
  • The giant crushing spike traps are impressive looking (and kinda tense that one time), but overall just a timing thing. I'm not super fond of them and would have liked there to be a choice of going on top, for example. The second one for sure is hiding something really good, maybe even an extra live, but I pussied out. Another reason to replay this level!
  • The ninja miniboss-style enemy is crazy, but super easy to pattern lock even blind. Maybe missed opportunity, otoh it's good there's a tactic. He's...jumpy.
  • Love the chute which is similar to many drops Castlevania protagonists suffer that they just utterly no-sell because lol fall damage. Another fun idea that I haven't seen like that in other games! Proving that even with a still very limited engine, it's all about what you make with it.
  • Really wasn't expecting a two-phase boss. Kudos for that and the absolutely amazing presentation. I don't like the fight too much, though, it seems a little too fast unless you basically pattern-lock him, knowing exactly what to do and where to stand. I still didn't have too much of an issue because the loving whip doesn't get downgraded with every hit you take. Bless!
Overall, the ideas wowed me more than what I saw in the first level, but that one was more fun to actually play. Rock Castle doesn't have too much substance or memorable level design apart from its admittedly really creative gimmicks.

Music

Psycho Warrior [Rock Castle]

This one's a little more melodic once it gets going, thus I like it more. Also some GOOD energy behind it.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Let's have a quick poll y'all while we're here together

Who's the Psycho Warrior after which the level track is named?
  • Christopher hell-bent on revenge
  • The level boss with the moves and such
  • Soleiyu after being driven crazy by the curse
  • A Rock, in the Rock Castle, hiding the elusive wallchicken
  • Goku
  • The real Psycho Warrior was inside you all along

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Simply Simon posted:

Christopher, clearly. Did you not see how the abduction of his son turned him from slow methodical lazy gently caress into some crazy agile motherfucker? That's a psycho warrior for you.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

The level boss with the moves and such

That's the one.

Between the candle gimmick and the spider-made ropes, this is already looking like a pretty good CV in its own right - very inventive stuff here.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

Who's the Psycho Warrior after which the level track is named?
  • Christopher hell-bent on revenge
  • The level boss with the moves and such
  • Soleiyu after being driven crazy by the curse
  • A Rock, in the Rock Castle, hiding the elusive wallchicken
  • Goku
  • The real Psycho Warrior was inside you all along

Let's consider this carefully. As we all know, a psycho has a number of clearly defined symptoms.

1) Unable to accept the facts as they are presented.
2) Experiencing high levels of stress, such that they are unable to reduce their tension
3) A berth noted for unusually high temperatures, causing insomnia
4) High levels of electrical current.

Using these, we can quickly eliminate the rock (being quite able to relax) and it being inside the player, barring unusually shoddy handling of the gameboy's battery case. The boss is also much too accepting of circumstances to seem correct, moving slowly and in a relaxed manner at first.

Soleiyu, being mind controlled by a curse, may qualify, but in submitting to it, he clearly acknowledges Dracula's power, accepting the facts as they are. That leaves us with Christopher and, as always, Goku.

The game's protagonist may seem like a reasonable choice, despite the fact the status of his bed is unknown, but remember. The game was released during the Namek saga, when Goku

1) Defied Frieza, despite his high status and undefeated record.
2) Saw his closest friend murdered in front of his eyes, making his situation very emotionally stressful.
3) Watched the planet, and all the beds on it, ignite
4) Gained the status of the legendary Super Saiyan, which is known to have lightning effects to indicate its sheer power.

It's not a definite conclusion, but from the evidence available, Goku is the most likely answer.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 16, 2018

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I think what was going on with you speeding up as you got near the top of the spider ropes was that the spiders were coming back up at that point, so the rope was coming with them? I know that doesn't make much sense with how spiders actually work, but you gotta allow them some programming limitations.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I'm pretty sure the spider ropes let you climb more quickly because the spiders themselves were moving back up. If you'd stayed stationary on their ropes, you would've seen Chillstopher moving upward. I'm also fairly certain that if you killed the eyeballs on the destructable bridges with the holy water, it doesn't destroy the bridge. It's been a long time since I played this one, but I'm sure I remember something like that happening. And I think your whip downgrades when you lose half your health bar. I think that's total, rather than the first time it ticks past 50%, but I was never quite sure back in the day.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It's Magneto. He's the Psycho Warrior.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I nominate ninja knife dude as the psycho warrior, what with his crazy jumping and such.

Also regarding the crushers, i wonder if those midsections are destructable?

Silent Banana
Aug 24, 2009

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

And I think your whip downgrades when you lose half your health bar. I think that's total, rather than the first time it ticks past 50%, but I was never quite sure back in the day.

The only things that downgrade your whip are death and being hit by punaguchi (who came up with this name anyway?) balls, it isn't tied to spedific health levels at all.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Nice to see you jumping on Castlevania II. I had this game and even if it's hard as hell, it was actually fun to play. You know that after this you're going to keep doing more Castlevania LPs :getin:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Silent Banana posted:

The only things that downgrade your whip are death and being hit by punaguchi (who came up with this name anyway?) balls, it isn't tied to spedific health levels at all.
So somehow they're still the worst enemy! I'll make sure to mention that in the next video. I'll get to that soon btw, but it's been a hard week at work so far.

Augus posted:

It's Magneto. He's the Psycho Warrior.
Because he hates Psychics? Then the castle would be made of magnetite, huh...

Choco1980 posted:

I nominate ninja knife dude as the psycho warrior, what with his crazy jumping and such.

Also regarding the crushers, i wonder if those midsections are destructable?
I can try on an inevitable replay!

Guillermus posted:

Nice to see you jumping on Castlevania II. I had this game and even if it's hard as hell, it was actually fun to play. You know that after this you're going to keep doing more Castlevania LPs :getin:
am i now

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Stage Thoughts
  • I have no idea what they were going for with the flashing background in the "outside" parts or what they were thinking.
  • Was expecting the birds to feature more heavily. Maybe they're "tutorial" enemies here so that you've seen them at least once before they're put into actually hard situations in the endgame?
  • All the things they did with ropes are awesome, awesome awesome. I can't stress enough how I adore that they decided that "ropes" is the one redeeming thing from CV:TA, took that ball and ran with it.
  • It's a little curious that the rope mechanism that starts moving only when you touch the rope and caught me by surprise only shows up once.
  • Didn't comment too much during the video because honestly, it could be a little harder than "not at all", but the room with all the moving and direction changing ropes is super impressive.
  • If this were the first game with its incredibly cramped rooms, Punaguchis on moving platforms would be an absolute nightmare. As is, they barely register because the balls have nothing to bounce off of. I'm glad because it'd be a serious pain to lose the whip before the boss.
  • Speaking of, it's a severe disappointment because the design is loving awesome, especially when the two heads/necks exchange rib cages. Super inventive. Too bad that I immediately stumbled on the ideal Chillstopher tactic of "never move, it'll be fine". It's very weird that you don't have to take out both heads because they share a health bar. This makes going up on the platforms not only pointless, but into an objectively bad idea.
I think I said most things in the video, actually. So I'm only emphasizing some points more above. It's a fun level mostly owing to rope stuff again, doesn't have too many enemies but that is just fine. Combat is not this engine's forte and I think they have realized that by now.

Music

Praying Hands [Cloud Castle]

After two songs I wasn't super hot about, this one blew me away, it's really good. Just fits my taste for melody, energy and "things happening" perfectly. Maybe not the best fit for a level that can be a little slow due to the moving parts you sometimes have to wait for, but that doesn't matter too much I think.

Castle [Password]

Just a general trend, though - one thing that's keeping this from being a very enjoyable complete package is the mismatch between stage names, actual obstacles, gimmicks IN the stages, bosses and yes, also music. While very fun to play on a room by room basis, the lack of focus hurts it a little especially in the memorability department (as does the lack of difficulty so far, tbh). Say what you will about the first game, but that was one cavey cave, one castley castle and one Ihateyoufuckoffanddie-y monstrosity.

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 20, 2018

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I think the Punaguchis are supposed to be acid-spitters or something, they're (briefly) in ReBirth and in that they're green and spit green blobs.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Stage thoughts are now up in case you missed them. Also I want to mention that I just recorded the next episode because I couldn't wait to play on, I'm super happy that this game is actually fun!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
If I had to guess, the flashing outside was supposed to be lightning, but very poorly implemented.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'm wondering if there's an FPS issue and it's actually meant to be a fog effect.

Metroid26
Apr 17, 2018
The pixels on the Game Boy's screen had a delay turning on and off so it would have looked foggy and indistinct on the original hardware. Doesn't translate well on Super Game Boy or other emulation though, so we just get flicker.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Metroid26 posted:

The pixels on the Game Boy's screen had a delay turning on and off so it would have looked foggy and indistinct on the original hardware. Doesn't translate well on Super Game Boy or other emulation though, so we just get flicker.
That's very interesting! I thought it might be something they thought would really turn out differently but hosed it up and said "good enough", never would have guessed that they had the actual hardware in mind. That's honestly really smart.

I wanted to see if they changed anything for the GB Collection, as that would be on GB Colour hardware, which probably maybe has better pixels than the original brick, but it still flickers like a motherfucker. I also found out that the chosen colours are absolutely heinous and I don't think I can make a straight LP on that version, I'd spend every room marveling at the drugs they took to make this seem an improvement over grayscale.

[img]https://lpix.org/3123281/Konami GB Collection Volume 4 (E) [C][!].png[/img]
This bade well already.

[img]https://lpix.org/3123282/Konami GB Collection Volume 4 (E) [C][!]_000.png[/img]
WELL ALRIGHT THEN

(the birds are uniformly green)

EDIT: [img]https://lpix.org/3123297/Konami GB Collection Volume 4 (E) [C][!]_001.png[/img] many things are green including space it seems

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 21, 2018

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Wikipedia seems to have at least a partial explanation.

Apparently, the original versions only had Super Game Boy support, rather than GBC. It was added in for the European release, along with removing the dating sim references in the menus.

So, the people picking the colors probably didn't talk with the people who made the games, and also probably worked in a hurry.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I think you were supposed to let that one orb fall on you by being on the next rope over.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

The longest stage name, the broadest picture...

Stage Thoughts
  • The moving floor energy with the weird mouth things that emit/suck it up is very impressive-looking. Too bad you never have to interact with it at all and it just goes away. Again, teaching you something for later or wasted level design element?
  • Still not sure what's up with the burning headless armour enemies. They are so ludicrously docile that I keep thinking they're meant to have a gimmick, like become super fast if you get too close or something and I just never activate it because I'm good at spacing?
  • Now that I take another look at the video, it's obvious that the tiny columns are platforms, because they're just part of the floor tileset. Still a weird thing to just put there, imo.
  • I think I let the mermen completely uncommented. Their shadow in the water is very smoothly done and their movement is very clear, that is excellently made especially for the Game Boy.
  • With some serious squinting, the manual does indeed say "hold A on a rope while pressing down to descend quickly", so the fault lies solely with me not wanting to squint before now.
  • It's super nice that the spikes don't instant kill you though.
  • I like the way the secret in the wall is telegraphed, it's weird though that you only get a big heart for it. My instinct for wall chicken is completely nonexistant apparently because I keep not finding some.
  • Fortunately though, the game so far is really easy and I don't need healing, yay?
  • Now that I take another look at the manual, wall chicken isn't even mentioned as a powerup in it.
  • The boss is a cute idea in concept but it, again, is way too easy. Maybe they designed the bosses with the leather whip in mind, but even if it took twice as long, it would still be a super simple pattern to find out on your own I feel.
In general, I hope that the difficulty picks up a little now we're out of the "robot master" stages, but that it stays reasonable enough that I don't have to do a lot of editing :effort:.

Music

New Messiah [Crystal Castle]

This is very much "first stage in a Castlevania game", at least at the start. Dunno about the weird-sounding bridge. So, who's the New Messiah? The weirdass crystal wizard? Christopher again? Weird guy called Susej who calls himself the grandson of God?

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 24, 2018

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Pretty sure those first "ice cubes" are there to introduce you to the gimmick before putting them over bottomless pits. Game design!

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

The Holy Water in Castlevania 1 does more than just stunlock Death. It stunlocks goddamn near everything and is so overpowered it's the only subweapon really worth using regularly.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I think those burning guys are supposed to be like spectral knights or possessed armor. The enemy pool is really lacking and not taking advantage of you having to duck.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Bellmaker posted:

Pretty sure those first "ice cubes" are there to introduce you to the gimmick before putting them over bottomless pits. Game design!
That's so self-evident for me by now that I forgot to point it out, haha. Still no idea what's up with the energy conveyors...

Adamant posted:

The Holy Water in Castlevania 1 does more than just stunlock Death. It stunlocks goddamn near everything and is so overpowered it's the only subweapon really worth using regularly.
The cross is loving awesome as well though. I did lowball how broken the Holy Water is, granted.

Scalding Coffee posted:

I think those burning guys are supposed to be like spectral knights or possessed armor. The enemy pool is really lacking and not taking advantage of you having to duck.
Manual calls them "evil knight" (helpful), the drawing definitely shows a possessed suit or armor without the helmet. My issue is mostly that they're not doing...anything?? But yeah, while I disagree with CV:TA's idea of just putting Zeldos everywhere, at least those made you jump/duck appropriately like Axe Armors tried to do (if you couldn't whip the axes).

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Simply Simon posted:

The cross is loving awesome as well though. I did lowball how broken the Holy Water is, granted.
Holy Water is the Metal Blade of the first Castlevania. Yeah, the other subweapons can be useful at times, too, but Holy Water kills everything, so why would you use anything else?

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009
This popped up randomly on my youtube recommendations and I recognized your name from the old mega man Gameboy games. I am enjoying this thoroughly and you made me sign back into SA after a few months of not really being here to tell you that. Keep it up friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Those conveyors are just 1 and done? I wonder if they were just tested in development and taken out of other places they might have been used.

• Locked thread