Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Commander Keene posted:

Holy Water is the Metal Blade of the first Castlevania. Yeah, the other subweapons can be useful at times, too, but Holy Water kills everything, so why would you use anything else?
That's a really stupid question to as me of all people, quite honestly ;).

Lazaruise posted:

This popped up randomly on my youtube recommendations and I recognized your name from the old mega man Gameboy games. I am enjoying this thoroughly and you made me sign back into SA after a few months of not really being here to tell you that. Keep it up friend.
Thank you very much! That means a lot to me :).

Glazius posted:

Those conveyors are just 1 and done? I wonder if they were just tested in development and taken out of other places they might have been used.
It's still possible that they pop up later, but the next level at least is completely original.

Speaking of: I had some editing issues (basically got done completely in a new program I tried, then at the VERY END it was like "sike, you can't actually export this in any kind of acceptable quality unless you buy the full version!!") so I had to redo everything. Hope it's okay now. I'm posting this while it renders so I can get a new update post and also a fresh page!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Stage Thoughts
I accidentally erased these, so this is the redone version. Hope I don't miss any super cool observation I had the first time...
  • Still a little confused about the birds. They really only hinder you when you're changing elevation, but they attack too slowly for that to be really relevant...
  • It needs to be emphasized again how terrible the bats are. Their randomness combined with how slow the whipping still is does not make for a fun challenge at all. If you pair it with ropes, it's torture.
  • This is how you should do the pencil stakes. I am super happy that they managed to carry over this semi-iconic level design element from the first game and make it really interesting to work with instead of a pain. Apart from looking far better, you now have ample warning, their speed is perfectly tailored to the reaction time you can expect an average player to have, and the side spikes don't instantly kill you anymore. A list of small changes, but they make a world of difference!
  • The rope room again shows how you can update something that barely worked in the first game into a cool challenge in the second. I especially appreciate that it rewards hurrying up, though the one knight that's really in the way if you don't could stand to be less punishing.
  • I'm still baffled by the rope that just takes you backwards in the level.
  • The boss is the main feature, and it's pretty awesome as I say. The visual design is brilliant and I love it. HOWEVER...
  • ...it is a little too punishing if you make a mistake. Often, you commit the grave sin of "not pressing on hard enough" and get punished for that like 10 seconds later with no way to save yourself, and that is a bit too long to really learn from your mistakes. It requires you to be very disciplined in your forward movement, which makes sense with the autoscroll of course, but it feels like the screen is just too small, so there is exactly one way to do it. The design suggests more flexibility than that, but you really have no choice; that is a bit of a failing on the designers' part.

Music

Castle #2 [Stage Map]

Original Sin [Dracula's Castle Part 1]

Pretty rocking. Really like what the composer did with the bass. The actual melody suffers a little because of the heavy focus on that, but it does have a lot of drive to it!

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jun 6, 2018

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

My gut feeling is that the leather whip is a lot worse than you might think: not only does it do less damage, but it also has shorter range. I think the range could be an absolute killer to less-experienced players given Chillstopher's general lack of movement speed and manoeuverability, moreso if they don't know about wall chicken.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Simply Simon posted:

I have always pretended that Dracula's Castle is called Castlevania, and I'm pretty sure that's not actually the case

It is, but it's an English-localization-only thing, so it only appears in games if the translators of that particular game remember to throw it in.

I don't know exactly how it's referred to in every Japanese game, but Dracula 2: The Curse Seal calls it "Castle Dracula", at least.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
That boss is intense, wow.

Also you are correct, Drac's castle is indeed Castlevania.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Well I'm glad that I won't have lore nerds hounding me then :D.

Crazy Achmed posted:

My gut feeling is that the leather whip is a lot worse than you might think: not only does it do less damage, but it also has shorter range. I think the range could be an absolute killer to less-experienced players given Chillstopher's general lack of movement speed and manoeuverability, moreso if they don't know about wall chicken.
Oh, the leather whip is awful, but fortunately you basically never have to deal with it in this game! CV:TA was way, way worse about having huge stretches of levels where you either didn't get any whip upgrade at all or were just SOL if you got hit once. In Belmont's Revenge, you get an upgrade just about after every checkpoint, and most of the time before you even have to fight any enemies. That means that even if you die, you'll get it back almost immediately.
The only problem is Punaguchis which remove it, but even so, at least from what I've seen, those aren't numerous, evilly placed or paired with other enemies enough that it becomes a serious problem. The meanest placement of them is probably in Cloud Castle, where they are after the whip upgrade on the way to the boss, meaning that if you get hit in the pre-boss corridor, you'll have to fight the boss with the leather whip. That would suck, but it's rather trivial to avoid the 'guchis, and the boss is probably the easiest of the four anyway.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I liked that boss. It was more a dodge-the-damage puzzle but once you were past the difficult part it worked out well.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Yeah but it's also basically all but game over the moment you fall behind and that isn't even particularly clear at any point during the fight. The idea is not bad but the sheer size of the boss and the size limitations of the gameboy screen means this was either destined to fail or they needed to do some major rejiggering on the boss's size.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Hey guys, sorry about the long wait. Had too many fun things happen in real life, but now that my fun is over I can go back to this nonsense :pram:.

So I just recorded the next episode.

For almost the last hour.

And it got me to use save states.

Please nobody complain about the Castlevania 1 boss anymore...and wish me a good hand with editing.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Simply Simon posted:

Hey guys, sorry about the long wait. Had too many fun things happen in real life, but now that my fun is over I can go back to this nonsense :pram:.

So I just recorded the next episode.

For almost the last hour.

And it got me to use save states.

Please nobody complain about the Castlevania 1 boss anymore...and wish me a good hand with editing.

:bisonyes:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

The picture strongly suggests that this is the last stage...guess we'll have to amend a second Wily skull for the next level? Spoilers there's a next level.

Stage Thoughts
Yeesh.
  • First of all, this level is really not bad at all; in fact, I'd say it's quite fun and a completely appropriate challenge. The boss on the other hand...let's tackle that later, shall we?
  • As I said many times in the video, this is really "many moving parts: the level". Before, you very rarely had to keep track of more than one thing at once, this now flies out of the window. It's a very logical escalation, but it also makes things way harder because Christopher still is not the most agile man in the world.
  • This has the added benefit of finally making the "standing in the way" armors somewhat threatening, because you have to keep juggling rope transfers while they take their sweet time on narrow-rear end platforms.
  • The first half is nothing much to write home about, I'm glad at least that they don't make you replay that. It would be just a waste of your time because there's little actual danger of loving up, even for someone as bad at staying consistent as me; it's telling that one of my deaths is from standing up.
  • Additionally, waiting for the crushers is a little boring, and it's weird that you can't destroy the first but have to destroy the second. Somehow it's also not as tense as in their first iteration, I wonder why?
  • The real meat of this level is of course the rope room, and oh boy did my wish for a little more challenge with that setpiece get fulfilled. Again, don't get me wrong, this room is great, I'm just bad.
  • With the one caveat that you tend to "stick" to ropes a bit too much, and considering you have to jump a bit upwards, that can get real dicey real quick if you don't plan ahead correctly. The engine is still not really meant for on-the-fly platforming, after all.
  • Another thing is that you're a bit slow in turning around (I mention that), with the real issue being that if you want to jump to a rope from the left and immediately whip to the direction you just came from, you'll probably whip to the right instead. That cost me a few hits from a bat.
  • Oh, and of course I completely forgot that you can quick-slide down ropes again!
  • The Punaguchi placements are quite devilish, but still completely in line I feel. The slow speed and actually sensible hitboxes help a lot. This is how one should update terrible enemies from one game to the next and make them interesting and fun to deal with! (the fun comes from pulling off clever dodges)
  • Really don't like them making me walk over a small gap - the fact that it's possible because Christopher's sprite can, 8-bit-typical, balance perfectly on his last ankle-pixel, doesn't mean that they should call attention to it.
  • The final stretch is nothing to write home about; interesting spider setups, but I think I'm way too experienced with respawn rules and screen scroll management to be fazed by that at all. Could be quite tough for a kid, though!

Now for the boss.
Soleiyu is obviously loving hard, and merrily crosses the line to bullshit a few times, I think. It's not a terrible encounter - my semi-comparison to the first game's atrocious final boss is a little uncalled for - but I do think they ask a bit much of the player. It gave me a lot of trouble already, I cannot imagine how daunting this fight must feel for someone playing this on an actual Gameboy with little to no experience in other platformers.

The key point that makes it feel so over the line is that I see no other way of winning consistently (you prooobably can damage race him if you get lucky) than to manipulate his AI. He'll always whip when he gets close to you, whichs stops him in place, and that's the only way to make him stand still long enough so the knives fall harmlessly behind you instead of you getting trapped between him and them. I might well miss a different loop than the one I ended up doing where you force him to do the same thing over and over and therefore get your openings to cross from left to right over and over, but...that'd still be manipulating him. I think that having a boss become easier, even trivial if you realize that his behaviour is completely based on your position relative to him is perfectly fine; not every player will have the discipline to even pull that off, and the fight will probably FEEL like it's random and frantic for almost every casual player. An example of an excellent manipulatable fight is Zero from MMX2.

The problem here is that it feels absolutely necessary to do this kind of manipulation, and you can't even get it consistent (at least I can't); Soleiyu might jump forward or back, up on the platform or down with no real rhyme or reason. Exploiting his whip-happiness seems the one thing you can always do, and they probably did account for that by making the whip hitbox mercifully tight so you can't get hit from a different plane; with the one problem being that you can't hit him either.

Apart from the knives, therefore, this does feel like a fight against yourself, and such duels are usually pretty good. In this case, it misses the mark a little because you have gently caress-all for movement options, and while Soleiyu doesn't either, I don't see him getting knocked back from anything and Christopher sure as hell can't just magic up infinite semi-homing knives. Speaking of which: obviously, as you cannot just jump and weave through those at will, they also have to be manipulated into falling where you are not, adding another element to this hell dance.

Overall, it's simply a little too much to ask for. You can develop a working strategy incorporating Holy Water (which is thankfully given to you every time) which involves a lot of patience and not jumping at the wrong moment (i.e. directly into the knives' path), but the fight being drawn-out due to Soleiyu's unpredictable behaviour means that you just have more chances to gently caress up. Hence my final Dark Souls comparison: I feel like I did understand at the end what I had to do, the problem was not making too many mistakes in the span of a very frantic minute or two. That's usually how bosses in the Souls games work for me as well, and finally putting together that string of "little enough gently caress-ups" feels amazing and bestows a great sense of accomplishment.

Really wish that didn't come at the tail end of a possible repeat of the same 5-minute-stretch of level each time you die twice; the limited lives given are not at all enough for you to learn the very, very complicated fight in time, so I think the rapid-fire repetition the save state gave me was absolutely vital. Otherwise each attempt has an undercurrent of panic because you really don't want to gently caress up and have to replay the rope room, and that hinders the learning process quite badly, at least for me. I'd have been almost perfectly fine with this level (the fight is still a bit too much on its own) if the checkpoint was right before Soleiyu.

Music

Passepied [Dracula's Castle Part 2] [I corrected the spelling to the actual French dance, which I had to google]

Soleiyu's Room
Faith [Talking to Soleiyu]
Chromatische Phantasie [Soleiyu Battle]

I got sick of the stage music after a while tbh. That's a bit coloured by my experience however, so take that with a grain of salt. I see now however that it's just a 1-minute-loop, that might have something to do with it...
The chromatic fantasy (in German) - that's the music motif, not the colour thing, by the way - is a very interesting battle theme which I greatly enjoyed when I didn't get absorbed in the rhythm of whipping. It's quite restrained in its complete focus on a single-track melody, and I feel like playing this on piano would be fuckin' dope. Wonder if there's non-8-bit-remixes?

not-edit-while-waiting-for-the-video-upload: of course there is! I knew this was Bach as gently caress.

another edit: this is such a dope sprite

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jun 6, 2018

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Because edit isn't a new post, I accidentally erased the stage thoughts from the last update. I redid them just now, but if someone has them cached or something (I am brilliant with computers you see), I'd be happy to restore the original text. If not, it's not a big deal I think.

Also, this was a lot of work to edit and I hope I managed to make it watchable. I tried showing my process of learning the boss, keeping in my key steps in understanding how it works (aka where I actually say something) while otherwise just cutting to the deaths. Do you think I could improve this (especially if the next boss is equally tough)? Were you bored at any point?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

That Soleiyu sprite needs a shrug animation. That is all.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They probably expected you to have the high ground above him the whole fight and you throw water on him. It didn't look like he could ever hit you unless he jumps on a platform.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Scalding Coffee posted:

They probably expected you to have the high ground above him the whole fight and you throw water on him. It didn't look like he could ever hit you unless he jumps on a platform.
I cut most of that attempt out, but I tried that and while you can survive for a while up there, hitting him is not easy because the platforms block the water, he's super unpredictable so if he does jump up to you you're hosed, and the knives will eventually get you as well.

It's actually quite rare to have a fight of that era which you cannot cheese in an obvious way and just have to be GOOD at. Every Mega Man for example has, like, one boss which demands more than pulling of a pattern or really easy manipulation. Let's take MM3:
- Snake: always moves the exact same way
- Needle: quite tough but you can manipulate him into using the head spike
- Gemini: shoots when you shoot (so you have control), then jumps when you shoot (same again), and shoots out lasers in fixed intervals (pattern)
- Spark: see Snake
- Magnet: always jumps the same way, just alternates attacks afterwards (50%, both have an easy tactic to avoid them)
- Hard: the fists are crazy hard to dodge...unless you make them go offscreen, which you can with smart positioning
- Top: lol
- Shadow: this is the one boss where you need very quick reaction and skill. He can jump twice or three times (randomly), can shoot shuriken or slide (randomly) which both require different jump/slide timings to dodge, and his jump height randomly varies as well. No manipulation, no pattern, it's just balls-hard and sliiiightly unfair because of that.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Waaait, is there no password available after that boss? That stage was a significant but decent ramp up in difficulty, but drat the boss is going to have made a lot of kids just put the game away back in the day, surely.
Can you duck his whip and counterattack the knees?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Crazy Achmed posted:

Waaait, is there no password available after that boss? That stage was a significant but decent ramp up in difficulty, but drat the boss is going to have made a lot of kids just put the game away back in the day, surely.
Just tried it and nope, when you're ducked he still hits you.

Also, I just beat the game! Woo!

That final boss is some serious horseshit I tell you what. I'll have to put a big "SKIP TO WINNING RUN HERE" disclaimer at the start because hoo boy that path to figuring out how it works was an arduous one.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

balls

Stage Thoughts

The background is metal as gently caress.

I think I said most of what I wanted to say in the video; there was ample time for that, after all. This boss is garbage because there is no strategy to it, no action and no thought. You follow an exact pattern which you have to memorize every single step of, or you die. It's like a rhythm game where after three strikes, you're out. Pretty much the polar opposite of Soleiyu who has absolutely no pattern, so no memorization, but who has to be manipulated carefully in order for you to have a chance to succeed; those are two perfect example of how not to do bosses, though I do vastly prefer Soleiyu to Dracula, even if the boy took me longer. It's better to have an overdemanding boss where you are actively engaged, have to think on the fly and react to what he's doing than this ludicrously constricting nonsense where you have to actively spend half an hour just to learn exactly what to do.

Music

Road of Enemy #2 [Before Dracula]

Sons of Satan [Dracula Battle]

Union [Ending]
The End of the Day [Staff Roll]

I was a bit down on Drac's boss music because everything irritated me, but in retrospect, it's half of a good song. The left-to-right scales in the second part are amazing, but the intro is grating and the GB sound chip doesn't do it any favors. Seeing as you'll mostly hear that while you die in confused agony very early, my impression should be understandable.

The ending is overly sentimental and does nothing for me (especially not after this pos boss). It's also weirdly sad even though we utterly crushed Dracula for a second time. Maybe it's because the text crawl for some reason demands Soleiyu to immediately start fighting again which is bullshit; if Dracula is so load-bearing (like his minion bosses as well) that the entire castle crumbles, his "armies" should be dust now. Just...let us have a victory, game. I know that many endings from that era were like "but is the threat TRULY over??? Find out in the sequel!!" but I don't think Soleiyu got a sequel game so gently caress it! Whatever! My headcanon is that Christopher can now allow himself to develop a dad bod, become Chillstopher again, and Soleiyu just does the same.

The staff roll is nice :).

Final thoughts that I forgot to express in the video: it's amazing how much of a step up this game is compared to the first Adventure, I cannot stress this enough. For the updates to the engine alone it should be commended, but they also managed to make some quite fine looking stages that are good fun to play as well, so big kudos for that. It's a huge shame that the bosses go from trivial to unreasonable to quickly - there's only two that for me hit the mark in difficulty, and that is Rock Castle's crazy two-phase laser sword armor monster and the bonerdragon. At least most of them are inventive, and the presentation is top-notch for sure.

The biggest flaw aside from the two elephants in the room is for me that they went back to wallchicken from the perfectly fine hearts-in-candles of the first game. Making the only way to heal into missable secrets is, for me, a big design misstep to begin with, but making them so hard to find that I only managed for a single one in the entire game is completely unreasonable. I mean, I obviously didn't need it; the stages aren't punishing enough for someone of my skills. But one always has to consider that this game wasn't designed for noted let's player of retro platformers Simon, it was made for kids with an actual Gameboy in hand. Having a struggling kid be denied the very basic element of recovery just because they didn't hit literally all the walls enough is just cruel. In the NES titles, you at least have a big screen where you can have some suspiciously empty corners or nooks underneath staircases where your secret sense will immediately start tingling. There's no such luxury here; my one finding basically boiled down to "I guess I can reach and whip this corner with some decoration on it, maybe". You could argue that because of my skills, I never felt huge pressure to look for the chicken, but whenever I was low on health and searched actively, I couldn't find it.

Fortunately, and that has to be praised, apart from one terrible instance the checkpointing is incredibly generous so death is cheap and you'll always get another whip upgrade afterwards. Even a Game Over doesn't make you replay the entire stage, proving that they could have just abolished the lives system in general - hell, unless I'm missing all the secrets (I probably do), there aren't even any extra lives in the game, unless you count point-based ones which I think I got occasionally. I never noticed because I never checked, this is how useless even in this old-rear end game they are.

The one thing that weirds me out in regards to checkpointing is how the password system works; as far as I can tell, you only get one if you deliberately select it after a Game Over. So if you finally beat a stage as a kid and are super happy, you can't just save; no, you have to go into another stage (because you can't replay levels), and die until you get a Game Over to finally be able to make your progress permanent. That's a super weird decision and I absolutely do not get it.

And I think that covers it all. Goodbye Christopher, you earned the right to chill now! Enjoy it much like I "enjoyed" and then actually enjoyed your two games.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I gotta admit, I don't know why you found either of those bosses, especially Drac, so difficult. The orb thing is super predictable.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Corporeal punishment sounds like flagellation, which you have the instruments in hand for it.

There is no fun way to fight bosses with an Ashtar (Ninja Gaiden 2) pattern. That they gave you immunity when the eyes close in on him, is a small mercy.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

You'd have had an easier time had you remembered that the second attack has a safe spot on the lower right platform. That's the one you initially discovered, but for some reason you kept trying to use a much more dangerous one at the left edge on the rightmost platform instead, and took a lot of unnecessary hits by being slightly off with your positioning.

But yeah - not great design for a boss, but "difficult" isn't really the word. The fight is 100% about figuring out the different safe spots and then just utilizing them.

Give Fortress of Fear a try one day, that entire game is about patterns and safe spots.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

I gotta admit, I don't know why you found either of those bosses, especially Drac, so difficult. The orb thing is super predictable.

Calculating curved trajectories like that in your head is actually pretty hard, especially when you've also got to navigate a slow-rear end character with a giant hitbox and find a safe spot he can stand in when there's a limited number of places he can even be.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Dabir posted:

Calculating curved trajectories like that in your head is actually pretty hard, especially when you've also got to navigate a slow-rear end character with a giant hitbox and find a safe spot he can stand in when there's a limited number of places he can even be.
That's exactly it. I don't know how well this can be seen in the video, but when the orbs start flying, you really already need to be where it's safe. In order to calculate them on the fly, you'd have to count down the timing to know when they'd start flying, guesstimate their trajectory from their starting point, identify a platform they won't touch, and somehow move Christopher to that platform; the latter is what makes it completely impossible instead of just unrealistic.

Adamant posted:

You'd have had an easier time had you remembered that the second attack has a safe spot on the lower right platform. That's the one you initially discovered, but for some reason you kept trying to use a much more dangerous one at the left edge on the rightmost platform instead, and took a lot of unnecessary hits by being slightly off with your positioning.

But yeah - not great design for a boss, but "difficult" isn't really the word. The fight is 100% about figuring out the different safe spots and then just utilizing them.

Give Fortress of Fear a try one day, that entire game is about patterns and safe spots.
1) That's a huge problem with me; I tend to do things like tough jumps or dodges by instinct once perfectly, then the second time I have to do it I start thinking about it and everything goes to poo poo. Because I wasn't thinking the first time, I didn't put active thought into it and that's also why I can't remember it. My brain works weird like that and it's probably a huge part of why I'm so bad with consistency.
2) Well, it was difficult for me to figure out :D. But I agree, it's probably not the right word. Though that goes into an age-old debate of what "real" difficulty (and/or challenge) is, and what "fake" difficulty is. I think the biggest consensus is that the latter is definitely when pure RNG is involved where you really have no chance of reacting, but when things like memorization are involved as in the present case, the border really starts to blur; is you having to memorize the boss exactly maybe simply part of the intended design, the learning curve the challenge, and the difficulty lies in you figuring it out slower/faster/not at all?
I tend to approach every game I play with the idea in mind that someone made them to be beaten (I don't play score attack games that have no win condition), and I try to figure out the "intended" way to do so because for me that's part of the fun. Therefore, "difficulty" is something I'd define as a deliberately chosen obstacle by the designer which the player has to overcome. Figuring out how the boss works was that obstacle, and I disagree with the choice that it wasn't possible on reaction alone, but that might overall just be me - I know plenty of people who really like memorization-based gameplay, for them this might be a good fight and actually hit a sweet spot of "difficulty" - because figuring out the pattern is exactly the kind of challenge they desire, the obstacle they enjoy to overcome.
3) Sounds like I'd hate it then :confused:

Discendo Vox posted:

To finally address you directly, I think I've said it enough in the videos: both of them, but mostly Drac, hit very specific weakspots I have. I strongly dislike memorization gameplay, so I'm less likely to a) engage with it in a productive way that leads me to victory and b) identify it in an expedient manner to begin with; and secondly, I am terrible at being consistent in my execution, which is exemplified by me getting hit by Drac's second attack again and again even though I've found a strategy that works...twice.

And again, I don't know what you mean with "predictable". You could argue that once you've seen him use them in a certain position once, you know where they'll be going from there, but that's memorization again and not, in fact, prediction. If you mean that you can blindly gauge where the attack will go before having seen him use it at all, I strongly disagree, I don't think that this is possible for a normal player; maybe for someone schooled in bullet hell games where bullet patterns are the name of the game (I hate those). If you are further assuming that being able to tell "oh the orbs will go here and here and here" would automatically lead to you being able to maneouver Christopher into a position where he's safe, then I'll feel free to laugh at you and encourage you to try it. You saw the password in the video ;).

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Dabir posted:

For this specific attack type I conceptualize it as a straight diagonal attack alternating spaces at sequential arcs...which...well, that makes it sound worse. But what it means is there's always an open space a set distance x and y relative to the enemy- sort of like the positions a knight can move to in chess. I find this boss pretty easy (I've played through this game) because the room is laid out so that for all but one of the positions you can stand a little way back and duck and be fine. I think I've realized the crux of the problem, though- the rotation before the attack makes it seem like the arc varies, when it doesn't.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 9, 2018

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Crazy Achmed posted:

This game never gives you passwords after finishing a level, only when you die. Bosses act as checkpoints so yeah, there is a password after the boss.

Adamant
Jan 30, 2013

Simply Simon posted:

3) Sounds like I'd hate it then :confused:

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply Fortress of Fear was a good game - if anything, it's a great example of how not to make games. It's just an interesting example of a game where every single boss is basically that Dracula fight.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Scalding Coffee posted:

There is no fun way to fight bosses with an Ashtar (Ninja Gaiden 2) pattern. That they gave you immunity when the eyes close in on him, is a small mercy.

Maybe that's what I'm remembering instead, but I thought there was a Castlevania or Symphony of the Night boss with that exact pattern as well?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, at least they were slightly merciful and Dracula didn't have an immediate second form. I think that might have been too big an ask, considering the tiny screen. Congrats on another one in the bag.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Hi guys, just wanted to give the thread some closure (not yet literal) in case anyone was still hoping for me to do an extra, informative post-commentary LP: it's not gonna happen. I was initially thinking it might be neat to see the Game Boy Colour version, but as I found out it looks like utter dogshit and I'd be hard-pressed not to complain about the palette choices in every video. Apart from that, I feel like I showed most things off naturally except for one extra split path in Crystal Castle (I looked up maps to be sure that there weren't any more secret areas and it doesn't look like it).
Of course, the health drop locations could be documented but just for that, I don't feel like it. The game is fun especially compared to the first, but not that good to demand that kind of effort tbh.

I watched a speedrun by the way, and apart from confirming that all the health items the runner uses after tanking damage are in completely moronic places (think "inside the first step of a raised platform" or "an unmarked corner in the middle of a hallway"), I could also see the ideal speed skill tactic for Soleiyu and Drac: throw axes perfectly until you can just tank him for the former, and do exactly what I did for the latter. So yeah, if someone wants to use this as a guide, they can, mission accomplished.

I have therefore requested archiving for this thread.

Still interested in doing the third GB game blind, as someone specifically wanted me to do - I had a lot of real life fun (and work) until now, but it should be a good time to do another bite-sized LP. Unless Legends is a super long nightmare - we'll see ;). I'll post here once it starts so you don't miss it!

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I lost track of this thread during GDQ but just want to say thanks for the LP, it was enjoyable to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Hey ho, this thread isn't archived yet which is usually when I close it, but I think I'll do it regardless after this announcement:

Castlevania Legends Let's Play
is up! Get hype for the final installment of the Game Boy series (but not too hype, please)!

• Locked thread