Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

spookygonk posted:

I take it that is able to withstand that much (and more) water?

the concrete blocks and pallet underneath I think should be okay with the container full to the brim if I did my maths right lol

problem may come from it sagging over the sides and splitting at a stressed area because it's no longer supported by a metal cage- I'm gonna keep an eye on it and hopefully the strain remains spread around otherwise I might have to let some out/put in an outflow to stop it getting over x litres

tldr: I dunno, maybe, let's find out

Maugrim posted:

Is that an open ceramic coffee mug? You madman. You can get closed-cap thermoses that you can swig out of with the press of a button - I have a Contigo one and my tea follows me around all afternoon while I’m wrangling the kids AND stays hot

But then what would the bugs land in? Denying me valuable proteins that is!

I have tried out some fancy travel mugs and more advanced water bottle technologies and I use both around the house and driving but not at the farm- the bite to drink straw things and push button mechanisms are grand until you are trying to clean it in a field with limited means after you dropped it in the mud- particularly the camelbak style mechanisms can really hide some filth away

That and when I have coffee that's my break time in line with union rules and convenience may lead me astray into such blasphemies as working while I drink my coffee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

more like Walther Rain amirite

Hi

got to watch it rise live in action

Eldest was back to wash up some bones, it's educational they promise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kFPiMXEXcE

I kept this a state secret, but the ordinance branch determined that the Walther Reign M2 in .22 caliber would be fuckin' cool and offer a significant upgrade in several vital factors over the venerable old BSA- sadly it was far too windy to zero the scope in properly and I lacked much ammo/targets but I liked it a lot as did elder kid

Sowed grass seed in the mud

And assembled the composters in a somewhat sunny area and about quarter filled each with leaf mulch- hope they don't blow over before I can get more in there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obqR0zYAU0k

Second video for a second visit this week

Hope this finds you all well, there will be more, soon!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

high on spores and smacking kirk around

dumped in the road- 10 boxes total- guess someone was selling nitrous balloons in the city last night and figured there was as good as a bin when they were done and driving home- called it in to the local council who are usually prompt but ugh gently caress people who do this, with a rake, sideways

hi

Lots of bud coming through nowerdays which is good cause I'm starting on the original series of trek, also, lots of buds coming through nowerdays which is good because it's spring

constant low intensity rain is keeping this creeping up

Sowed a bunch of wildflowers and grass seed, raked it in a bit then wandered around a bunch in the light rain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhzwPozBD5c

there's even a video of that

Three visits in a week, not too shabby. More, soon!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

ugh ffs

more flytipping, called it in

gone by the time I left

Hi

Magpies love the bird table

there's more water

Spot the deer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xwqc54_8EnI

Features a pigeon asserting it's rights

Was having a mild CFS/ME crash, hoped it might improve, got down there and it got a lot worse quickly so I bailed out. poo poo happens. More, soon.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

throwing my money around again

hope this finds you well

still taking a beating but couldn't stay away long

this little comrade was going back and forth with bedding-

To that flap of tarp on the front of the caravan, where it's making a fine nest that I obviously can't get a good shot of but they didn't seem bothered by me accessing the caravan so I'm just gonna leave it alone, stay away as much as feasible and delay the tarp replacement program a few months

spent some time at home thinking on the viability of seeds that were left in the caravan in less than ideal conditions for ages (aka the last bunch I sowed) and rather than keep thinking about it and it becoming a worry I bought a bunch more new fresh seeds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYAmgFJiPW4

And sowed them about the place too

Glad I got that done today- the rain got heavy as I left and it's predicted to keep going heavy all day so the seed has a fair chance- More, soon!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

the eventual inevitable

hi

last Sunday I was getting my bag ready for a trip down here, got a call to say my dad had been rushed into hospital. Stayed with him as much as possible and was there with him when he died on Monday afternoon. He will be sorely missed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNH3MpxrHkc

Today was just the birds and the rounds and a lot of sitting down quietly. Lots of flowers coming through, bluebells will probably start to pop in a few days.

the show goes on. more, soon.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Those that take care of us, and then those who we take care of. Love is a precious thing

My condolences for your loss :sympathy:

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 8, 2023

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

My condolences Dan.

Draadnagel
Jul 16, 2011

..zoekend naar draadnagels bij laag tij.
My condolences Dan.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
My condolences, Dan. So sorry to hear it.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Long time thread enjoyer wishing you and your family well.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Sorry to hear about your Dad, Dan. My condolences.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I’m so sorry DDan. Glad you got to be there with him at the end.

Would planting a tree on the Acres in his memory be fitting?

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010
My condolences, Dan.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

many thanks all- he was a kind and tolerant man who spent much of his life helping people in some form or another- and somehow didn't smother me in my sleep for my many, many sins

Maugrim posted:

Would planting a tree on the Acres in his memory be fitting?

he wanted two cherry blossoms put in- for my mum and for my two brothers who passed before I was born- they are standing ready as well as a few complimentary varieties- I might try and get some of my family down to help plant them but access isn't easy

my aunt and him were very close and she wanted me to put in a monkey puzzle tree- am keeping my eye out and hope to do that next

any excuse tbh

well hello again

so much easier to chuck a box of plants in the boot than it was to strap them all in using seatbelts on the back seat of the audi

after one day- one fat ball feeder empty, one nearly, one half full and the other barely touched

So the old broken trailcam was revived by letting it run down entirely, and it no longer reads the bigger size sd cards- I have equipped it with alkaline batteries (rather than nimh rechargeable batteries), told it to take a picture every 20 minutes and strapped it to a tree with a nice overlook of the main meadow bit- I'm gonna see how long the alkalines last and hopefully get a great timelapse as everything turns green

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuOuXs61CeU

Buzzards really noisy right now. More, soon.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

chairman mao was too lenient imo

Hi

Had planned on being here a lot after my dad passed (gently caress cancer) but unexpected inspections and works on my home are seriously getting in the way (gently caress landlords) of both my vocation and the grieving process

But seen as moaning never fixed anything, water level is still up, and I invite you to checkout my big bulge

If it keeps rising access to this trailcam is gonna require a boat, should have shifted it but *shrugs*

Caravan staying pretty fresh these days, think the fan is running most of the time already

little supply run done of stuff that's been waiting around the house- some exciting surprises to come and a few ration based perks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56dSsh8_rfY

unless I'm arrested for leading a struggle session, there will be more, soon

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvubknWBzrs

found this while going through the trailcam on my downtime (well, in-between trek episodes anyway) and figured it was good enough to push out ahead of the normal compilations

season one of tng had some real stinkers goddamn

Rotten
May 21, 2002

As a shadow I walk in the land of the dead
Dang that’s a cool video

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

Rotten posted:

Dang that’s a cool video

thanks- it was a nice little treat after a bunch of false positives on the other camera due to settings it too sensitive meaning a slight breeze would set it off

I also got a wet snuffly badger but that sounds more like a bad double entendre

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

season 2 of tng has a banger or two but also a fair amount of shite, less of a step up in quality from season one than I remembered

more animal action cause I sat poking at video files some more in-between all that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvXTEFMG2y4

eid mubarak!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

You officially have a duck pond.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Those badgers!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

spookygonk posted:

You officially have a duck pond.

I was yelled at by said same duck today

He doesn't know I know the mysteries of hoisin sauce

He best watch his goddamn mouth imo

AKZ posted:

Those badgers!

Indeed- I was gonna move a camera back to one of the set entrances today but it was really wet and I couldn't be arsed I judged the pathway unsafe

wetter than october

staying keenly on track

unlike the fearsome beast that left these tracks

800 litres now, youngest wants to dump a hundred litres or so to see what happens and I'm fairly keen on the idea myself

Didn't manage a good shot as I couldn't follow things around but even in the rain there were lots of little baby bees

brought in some poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjjZuvxvN4M

it really did piss it down

here's an out of focus blurry shot of a muntjac and a fox- ran into several over the visit and some much closer but not when I had my phone to hand

Hopefully do some planting next week, time remains tight but I really want to chuck some shovel so there will be more, soon

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

throwing shovel

Hi

on road/off road comfort is excellent, if the road keeps getting wetter we may see how the floating goes too- gradually approaching 900 litres water

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAnGavTZhBY

two bird/wild cherry and a sea buckthorn done- wanted to do many more but should have done less or none- today my arse is getting thoroughly kicked

these magpies were just kinda hanging out with this fox on the way out, no antagonism for a change

I'm gonna go get high as a motherfucker. more, soon!

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Why do these two photos look like impressionist paintings?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

captkirk posted:

High zoom on a camera phone, or a stylistic choice

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

captkirk posted:

Its

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

High zoom on a camera phone, or a stylistic choice

The former- I took them at the end of the hike out while walking, hands a shaky, conspicuously trying not to look or point directly at them, about 70 metres distant- it's a wonder of modern technology that they aren't a handful of wonky pixels

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

may day but not m'aidez

hi

water. let out about a hundred litres as an experiment upon advice from younger one, everything functional, making floods is fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0QtVwTatc0

Collected a few more buckets of leaves/twigs for the composters, gave them a little water too

Currants doing strong

Magpies stalk me like the cats do now

Pretty rough day both health and grief wise but did the things anyway and felt better for it- more, soon

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Those are some of the best pictures you've posted, Dan. And that's saying something. Looks beautiful.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Agreed.

Lovely pictures, Dan.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

rojay posted:

Those are some of the best pictures you've posted, Dan. And that's saying something. Looks beautiful.

Dead Goon posted:

Agreed.

Lovely pictures, Dan.

that's really kind, thanks goons :unsmith:

I moved up to a pixel 7 from a 5 a little while ago and I think it helped but the big secret is still take loads of shots and discard most

blossoms

hi

Water doing well- pond flower things survived and seem to be multiplying

New cam struggles with LCDs tho- the old one would notice and change the refresh rate or whatever- main thing is the solar electrics are strong

Lots of butterflies but every time I tried to take a shot they were gone

Well, not quite every time but y'get me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIA8FBL3oYQ

First proper blossom the the cherry blossoms I got for my Da- watered and tended the nursery as well as some wildflower patches

only had an hour, spent two anyway sitting and existing and enjoying- more soon

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 5, 2023

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Certainly is a lovely place to chill out.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

spookygonk posted:

Certainly is a lovely place to chill out.

unfortunately there's trouble in paradise

a rumble in the jungle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XapbImwnKTA

a buzzard scrappin' with two crows

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

bog standard

Hi!

Good supply for summer so far, need to make a little ditch in the ground to make it easier to get water out cause I'm currently wasting about as much as I use but that's for another day

watered plants, watered compost

went and had a look at the neighbors water too

so easy to load up with a bunch of stuff, the end part of the delivery still poses challenges but drat what a lovely walk with a barrow

Moved the old compost bags out before dumping the heavy new ones on top- our friend here and his speedier brethren sure appreciated some caution

14.2V, 19-20C- took the vent fan to max power, might add some more

Two and a half years out of date, exactly the same as it ever was

Moved the shitter. Thought there was a mouse living underneath- turns out it was at least 3- but we are due some visitors who are a little on the newbie side so a friendly toilet experience may be kind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MjvlaWcyQQ

there will be more, soon!

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
What is the tick situation on the five acres? With all that wildlife I imagine you carry tweezers or another tool for extraction.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

I forgot the somewhat exciting news of I'm 92.3% sure I saw a little fish in the pond (didn't look like a newt), so go little potential fishy

Mzuri posted:

What is the tick situation on the five acres? With all that wildlife I imagine you carry tweezers or another tool for extraction.

it was a consideration when I was being investigated for lyme disease etc a few years back, but I haven't had to remove one in the 20 or so years it's been since I first went down there, never had anyone else have one, not even sure if I have seen something that I definitely recognised as a tick

I always cover my legs (they aren't my best feature) which is the main vector, and in summer I'm normally covered in DEET bugspray which is also apparently somewhat useful against ticks

this is what happens when you don't check if your new bottles are dishwasher safe and they aren't clearly marked regarding being dishwasher safe and then you put them in the dishwasher which might not have been safe and then you find out, dear reader, that they were definitely not dishwasher safe through empirical means

least they were 75% off, but gently caress this poo poo I'm not straying from my nalgene bottles again, those fuckers don't complain

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

gone shooting

Yo- bluebells tapering off now, always a little morose to see them go

This cherry was planted as a 4ft sapling by my eldest when they were about 6 or 7 and about as tall- ten years ago now, and it's at least twice as tall as me now

Underneath were some little cherry saplings, not in the best of places and unlikely to survive a pathway cutting, so I transplanted them- would have liked bigger root balls but didn't want to potentially mess with the extant trees roots

Even empty plant pots yield much life around here- carefully emptied out into leaf piles around other empty pots

Got three in total, potted and added to nursery, also spent time clearing the cabin building area but forgot pics

I'm way out of practice but youngest wanted to do some archery so we brought the junior bow along and shot a few sheaves worth- target I made works better than I hoped, no foam crumbs left at all and to top it off we didn't lose or break any arrows wish I had brought the big bow too now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P3hFqDLMXs

There will be more, soon

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

State Of The Acres Address

Five Years - Five Acres

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWHfD6vKua8

pretty happy with this trailcam vid

anyway here we are marking five years of me doing this thing that I do, and another 70+ visits recorded over the last year (if I counted right)

and here we were five years ago- will try and get one from the exact same spot next time I'm down there

going through old pictures brings back some fond memories of fallen comrades and absent friends, and I honour them

anyway, state of the acres-

last year has been tough in many regards but stuff still got done, progress was made and I'm hoping to keep that going

I'm aiming to build another shelter bench over the summer and link it with the other bench shelter, while continuing site prep for the cabin, but actual construction on that is being pushed back so I can finish at least some of the projects left in varying states of done-ness, like the chair parts that have been living under my desk for a year now waiting for about two hours work to finish, or the makita battery to 12V thing thats been waiting months on a half hours soldering work, or the bird watering thing that won't need much work etc, but I also want to get in some more leisure trips- get my archery, bushcraft and shooting skills a bit more polished up again

it's, ah, apple juice. australian apple juice. from the same place that does ned kelly whisky. What the note says.

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 14, 2023

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

throwing lead again

Nice day to have the nephew and his other half over

shooting

then sausage

We left a couple for the foxes too- more, soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

five acre farm tours incorporated

so this time it's my sister in law over from NZ Aotearoa for a visit

Pond levels still good, didn't get a shot of the water butt because me and the missus were having a mild disagreement as to its structural integrity and I did not wish to invite further comment

was a good day to be showing off the place, and great to see them again

after that I went and sat by the pond and delighted in letting the glorious sun roast me a bit, while admiring this pondweed and trying to spot a fish

they might be american imperialist invaders and a blight on the ecosystem but they are also cute as heck sometimes and it ain't their fault they do what they do. still, gonna have to take some action on this as there's a bunch right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujFRET_SdEw

So up next I will either be showing more folks around or maybe I will get some work done at long last- you will know more, soon.