Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

nimby posted:

A very special message from your Belgian friends:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36fHTeUFXJI

See you tomorrow when we crush you in the poo poo final!

its not coming home to belgium either though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

one of the people in that vid was like two or three years my junior in middle school i see he's still as cringy as back then

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

vyelkin posted:

They didn't really gently caress it up though, they beat the teams they were expected to beat and lost to Croatia who are a better team than them. Their easy path to the final only went so far.

Effortpost:

Honestly, I'm in two minds about the whole thing. England definitely overachieved for what I was convinced before the tournament was a collection of Burnley idiots with foetal alcohol syndrome shouting at the ball, and it'd be silly to criticise them for it. It's quite nice that there's actually a positive spirit around the team and coming out of tournament, that people might actually want to play for England in future, instead of ENGLAND IN ROO-INS flashing in neon and everyone on the fringe retiring from international football at 29. It's nice that people are finally willing to give young players a chance to grow into the role instead of writing them off as failures and demanding that younger, shitter, even-less-ready players be blooded immediately, on the back of playing 20 good minutes for Derby County.

I don't think Southgate is a great football tactician, but you can't really do that with an international squad anyway. Jonjo Shelvey isn't going to pick up gegenpressing at a three-day training camp. Maybe being a good lad who means well and wears a waistcoat and just does whatever Terry Venables would have done is all you need in that position, and with that group of players.

At the same time, nothing really jumped out to me from any of those games that there's some great English renaissance just over the horizon, which is the new narrative. Wales got to the semis in 2016 with some performances that were a lot better than England's, and then failed to qualify for the World Cup at all. There's no guarantee that being decent one year leads to anything at all, and England didn't exactly set the world on fire in the first place in terms of performances (beating CONCACAF teams doesn't count, for reasons).

I mean, I don't think Croatia are that good - they looked great against Argentina, but then got taken to penalties by Denmark and Russia. I'll look like an idiot if they go and batter France now, but I think if you take away the fact that England physically reached a semi, that a lot of traditionally good teams did worse, and that no-one did something stupid and embarrassing, I don't see that going out to a passably decent but unspectacular Croatia team is much different from what you'd expect from England at any other tournament in the last 20 years.

otoh it's coming home 2020

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

gently caress u johnny continental

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

give the lads a few more games and experience and they'll be ready to bring it home for the euros

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
Let's go get bronze lads!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0o5d2J92z8

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Effortpost:

Honestly, I'm in two minds about the whole thing. England definitely overachieved for what I was convinced before the tournament was a collection of Burnley idiots with foetal alcohol syndrome shouting at the ball, and it'd be silly to criticise them for it. It's quite nice that there's actually a positive spirit around the team and coming out of tournament, that people might actually want to play for England in future, instead of ENGLAND IN ROO-INS flashing in neon and everyone on the fringe retiring from international football at 29. It's nice that people are finally willing to give young players a chance to grow into the role instead of writing them off as failures and demanding that younger, shitter, even-less-ready players be blooded immediately, on the back of playing 20 good minutes for Derby County.

I don't think Southgate is a great football tactician, but you can't really do that with an international squad anyway. Jonjo Shelvey isn't going to pick up gegenpressing at a three-day training camp. Maybe being a good lad who means well and wears a waistcoat and just does whatever Terry Venables would have done is all you need in that position, and with that group of players.

At the same time, nothing really jumped out to me from any of those games that there's some great English renaissance just over the horizon, which is the new narrative. Wales got to the semis in 2016 with some performances that were a lot better than England's, and then failed to qualify for the World Cup at all. There's no guarantee that being decent one year leads to anything at all, and England didn't exactly set the world on fire in the first place in terms of performances (beating CONCACAF teams doesn't count, for reasons).

I mean, I don't think Croatia are that good - they looked great against Argentina, but then got taken to penalties by Denmark and Russia. I'll look like an idiot if they go and batter France now, but I think if you take away the fact that England physically reached a semi, that a lot of traditionally good teams did worse, and that no-one did something stupid and embarrassing, I don't see that going out to a passably decent but unspectacular Croatia team is much different from what you'd expect from England at any other tournament in the last 20 years.

otoh it's coming home 2020

As a rare long time fan of your posts, I'll effortpost in reply:

You're wrong.

Lol. But seriously. Yes, England had a clap trap group and in all reasonable expectation they'd have to be made up of wheelchair dwellers to not make it out of the group. However, in 2014, a squad replete with Gerrard, Lampard and Rooney, supposed world class players, came LAST in a group consisting of England, Italy, Costa Rica and Uruguay, without winning a single match. We all know what happened in 2010. England of old may well not get the victory against Tunisia, struggles against underdogs Panama, possibly pinching a draw or a narrow win and then has everything to play for against Belgium, either just about managing it or losing hilariously and not making the round of 16. Those squads at best run into the Colombia match, get at least one idiot (Rooney and/or Wilshere spring to mind) sent off and back home in embarrassing short order.

For the first time in a long time, England have done what's expected of them; beaten teams they should be beating and absolutely battering a team they should be battering. This didn't even happen in 1990. Winning a penalty shootout for the first time EVER. Comfortably getting past a bogey team that in previous years may just as easily upset the apple cart. Yes, England yet again came up tactically short in a tournament, but it happened against a team where for once, it's a doddle to explain away such naivete. This is a luxury you and I have not had in our lifetimes. Even in 1990 there was far more bland and got loving lucky than in this tournament.

To have a team where it's obvious that most of the failings should go away with time and experience is something never seen before in modern English football. Never in my lifetime have I seen an England side overachieve in their final place in a major tournament. 1996 can easily be argued as another bottle job, given the talent available to Venables and the aging state of that German team. Or perhaps simply the fact Gazza didn't wear a big enough shoe size.

A team without cliques, without fear, not appearing to wear the shirt as if it's a lead weight, is something completely different to what we're used to. For that, Southgate, for all his tactical naivete, deserves the time to see where he and the squad can go. Players that are an afterthought or also-rans at their clubs looked like they belonged as mainstays of the starting 11, and more importantly, relished the chance to wear the shirt rather than dreading it.

Before the tournament, everyone I know just wanted better than 2014, the majority of fans not giving a poo poo since failing to qualify for 2008. With even the most optimistic saying "out in the quarters". Even the most cynical of football fans must acknowledge that there's a foundation already established that can be built upon.

In a tournament where all but one of the favourites crashed out at first or second time of asking, a team that's never done what's expected of them did exactly that and as such, deserve some optimism for 2020 and 2022.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Hey random question from a dumb Anglo-American - I see England flags with names of towns and cities on them being displayed at games. Who makes/stitches those?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Cup of Hemlock posted:

Hey random question from a dumb Anglo-American - I see England flags with names of towns and cities on them being displayed at games. Who makes/stitches those?

The queen.

Well not really the queen personally, but they are requested through The Palace and awarded to towns and cities that have done good deeds. Usually a village elder will be appointed to collect them. It is a great honour to be chosen and there is much feasting and merryement upon their arrival Home with the festooned flag. But be careful traveller, for should the flag touch the floor it is considered acursed and it’s powers are lost and the hamlet doomed for eternity. This is how you see england flags with words like ‘Barnet town fc’ painstakingly sewn onto the fabric.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cup of Hemlock posted:

...lol?

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

Cup of Hemlock posted:

I'm so baffled by this question

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
What's the coming home status?

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

Cup of Hemlock posted:

how's life back in feudalism?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Ninpo posted:

As a rare long time fan of your posts, I'll effortpost in reply:

You're wrong.

Lol. But seriously. Yes, England had a clap trap group and in all reasonable expectation they'd have to be made up of wheelchair dwellers to not make it out of the group. However, in 2014, a squad replete with Gerrard, Lampard and Rooney, supposed world class players, came LAST in a group consisting of England, Italy, Costa Rica and Uruguay, without winning a single match. We all know what happened in 2010. England of old may well not get the victory against Tunisia, struggles against underdogs Panama, possibly pinching a draw or a narrow win and then has everything to play for against Belgium, either just about managing it or losing hilariously and not making the round of 16. Those squads at best run into the Colombia match, get at least one idiot (Rooney and/or Wilshere spring to mind) sent off and back home in embarrassing short order.

For the first time in a long time, England have done what's expected of them; beaten teams they should be beating and absolutely battering a team they should be battering. This didn't even happen in 1990. Winning a penalty shootout for the first time EVER. Comfortably getting past a bogey team that in previous years may just as easily upset the apple cart. Yes, England yet again came up tactically short in a tournament, but it happened against a team where for once, it's a doddle to explain away such naivete. This is a luxury you and I have not had in our lifetimes. Even in 1990 there was far more bland and got loving lucky than in this tournament.

To have a team where it's obvious that most of the failings should go away with time and experience is something never seen before in modern English football. Never in my lifetime have I seen an England side overachieve in their final place in a major tournament. 1996 can easily be argued as another bottle job, given the talent available to Venables and the aging state of that German team. Or perhaps simply the fact Gazza didn't wear a big enough shoe size.

A team without cliques, without fear, not appearing to wear the shirt as if it's a lead weight, is something completely different to what we're used to. For that, Southgate, for all his tactical naivete, deserves the time to see where he and the squad can go. Players that are an afterthought or also-rans at their clubs looked like they belonged as mainstays of the starting 11, and more importantly, relished the chance to wear the shirt rather than dreading it.

Before the tournament, everyone I know just wanted better than 2014, the majority of fans not giving a poo poo since failing to qualify for 2008. With even the most optimistic saying "out in the quarters". Even the most cynical of football fans must acknowledge that there's a foundation already established that can be built upon.

In a tournament where all but one of the favourites crashed out at first or second time of asking, a team that's never done what's expected of them did exactly that and as such, deserve some optimism for 2020 and 2022.

as someone who refgularly lols at long effortposts I read all of this post and withourt responding in a long effortpost i can say that i agree alao that its coming home at the euros

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Alexeythegreat posted:

What's the coming home status?

Condition Bronze.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Bronze medal nearly gleaming

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Should have just Googled. Found what I was looking for.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cup of Hemlock posted:

Should have just Googled. Found what I was looking for.

Which is?

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Ninpo posted:

Yes, England had a clap trap group and in all reasonable expectation they'd have to be made up of wheelchair dwellers to not make it out of the group. However, in 2014, a squad replete with Gerrard, Lampard and Rooney, supposed world class players, came LAST in a group consisting of England, Italy, Costa Rica and Uruguay, without winning a single match. We all know what happened in 2010. England of old may well not get the victory against Tunisia, struggles against underdogs Panama, possibly pinching a draw or a narrow win and then has everything to play for against Belgium, either just about managing it or losing hilariously and not making the round of 16. Those squads at best run into the Colombia match, get at least one idiot (Rooney and/or Wilshere spring to mind) sent off and back home in embarrassing short order.

To be fair, I don't disagree with most of that, and so it may just be that I'm a contrary bastard and I exist in that Roy Keane space of just growing a hobo beard and shouting down anything Lee Dixon says on principle.

But my concern is less about establishing that they're poo poo and need to know that they're poo poo, and more that we're now immediately into scouse levels of boom, where they're built up to fail and anything less than a semi-final at Euro 2020 (particularly as the semis and final are at Wembley) is going to be met with hand-wringing "where did it all go wrong" pieces.

The comparison to 2014 is fairly relevant. That team got beaten by Italy and then beaten by Uruguay, and were already out by the time they played Costa Rica. I'm not really sold on the idea that this team would have done better in either of those games, and that's the England that I've seen for most of the last 20 years. Set up to knock down defensive teams in the qualifiers (because commercial necessity dictates beating Slovakia 3-0 at Wembley), but without the quality or the balance to really threaten top-level teams on a competitive stage. It'd be fantastic if they went and proved me wrong, but my suspicion is that this is a high-water mark for this team unless a couple of better players break through.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think this match showed that we'd have probably been merked by France in the final, a lot of the luster has gone from Harry Kane if the ridiculously idiotic and blindly nationalistic commentators are pointing out he's not had a shot on target since the Colombia match and every meaningful stat about football has England ranked extremely low overall despite going very far in the tournament.

There's a lot of potential in the squad but we need to also see that there's a gently caress tonne to fix with this squad and just saying "what a great tournament, proud of the boys" is not going to help or sort anything. Basically, there needs to be an air of constructive criticism coming out of this.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 14, 2018

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

oliwan posted:

Which is?

A place called Barmy Flags (but I’m sure there are others).

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Ah yes, the lustre has gone from Harry Kane and his 30 goals a season have been exposed as fraudulent because he only won the golden boot with group stage goals.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
An actual quality midfielder would be a huge help. RIP Jack you looked great at 18 and then you died.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
he's been compeltely poo poo the last 3 matches mate don't be dense

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
He has to drop deep and provide service for himself, not a great position to be in. Better/fit midfielders would help

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
Which English players could be World beaters in four years time?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Sad King Billy posted:

Which English players could be World beaters in four years time?

Jadon Sancho, Phil Foden, James Maddison, Ryan Sessegnon, Angus Gunn, probably plenty of others

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

pik_d posted:

Jadon Sancho, Phil Foden, James Maddison, Ryan Sessegnon, Angus Gunn, probably plenty of others

None of these players will be good IMO

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Agreed, they’re no Reiss Nelson or Ainsley Maitland-Niles or Eddie Nketiah or that one Sunderland kid we just signed.

Sess is dope though

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

African AIDS cum posted:

Leeds have a guy named Ronaldo Vieira who is definitely English, but he's probably poo poo

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Sam Hutchinson

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

pik_d posted:

Leeds have a guy named Ronaldo Vieira who is definitely English, but he's probably poo poo

Lewis Cook will be the next Modric

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
In before that one Team Of The Future pic where the biggest name was Theo Walcott

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

pik_d posted:

sounds like a randomly generated fifa youth player

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

fridge corn posted:

sounds like a randomly generated fifa youth player

"Born in Guinea Bissau, and also holding Portuguese nationality, he is an England U21s international.[2]"

:chanpop:

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

African AIDS cum posted:

Peps going to turn Phil foden into the best var review ref the world has ever seen

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

HJB posted:

In before that one Team Of The Future pic where the biggest name was Theo Walcott

never gets old

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I want to go to Man City

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I want to go to Man City

Where the streets are gold and the pitch is pretty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

peanut- posted:

Ah yes, the lustre has gone from Harry Kane and his 30 goals a season have been exposed as fraudulent because he only won the golden boot with group stage goals.

Three penalties, a tap in from a corner, an unintentional deflection, and one good header from a corner.

It’s not like he was scoring good goals in the run of play.

Yes he’s going to win the golden boot but it’s not like he was an impressive goal scoring tour de force. If he didn’t take penalties for England people would be saying he had a poor World Cup.

• Locked thread