Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I do like the early parts of Ages, we start getting some cool items soon now that we have the basic lift/bomb out of the way.

I think Seasons is better paced overall, it feels more Link's Awakening-y. I wanted to toss Ages into the sun later on, one dungeon is the worst of all three GB/GBC games and possibly the entire franchise. It's that awful, no hyperbole.

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Eh, I kinda enjoy Crescent Island, it does run a bit longer than it needs to though. My main gripes with the game are later.

One of them being we don't get the best seed until way later in Ages vs. Seasons. Scent seeds are dumb.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I didn't realize Tuni Nut was a palindrome after all these years until 5 seconds before MeccaPrime mentioned it :doh:

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Zedd posted:

The next dungeon is probably my favorite in the game.

It's seems everyone hates "that minigame" and likes the next dungeon, but I really don't mind the minigame at all and absolutely despise the next dungeon, especially its key item.

I don't really mind Crownland either, it's a bit linear, but the boss is a pretty fun puzzle boss if you push the blocks like intended. I'll admit, they don't really indicate you can push some of the blocks and that is a bit mean but it's a 2D Zelda, you mash your face against every block.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

The Carpal Tunnel Mermaid Suit is awful and miserable, ruins a cool time-traveling dungeon, and basically makes me never want to play Ages again.

And don't even get me started on the next dungeon. Let's just say the suit gets put to use :barf:

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

MeccaPrime posted:

somaria just lost a little potency in his old age...

also, the cane discussion gives me a chance to post a webcomic that I like on this very topic (not mine)

I forgot how dumb that Minish Cap cane was what the hell were they thinking

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I like the slingshot a bit better than the seed shooter, there's a bit of a delay firing the shooter and ricochet can be helpful but usually keeps you from lobbing another shot quickly. The upgrade is dumb though.

That California joke didn't age well :supaburn:

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

The Magnetic Gloves are my favorite item in both games. Pity about the sound, they're so freakin' fun to use, the dungeon had multiple ways to use them and there'll beEEEEEEEEE more later

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

They make you jump through hoops to get the Rad Ring but man once you get it that bad boy's never coming off Link's finger.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

So I learned during SGDQ that you can actually skip the Hyper Slingshot by flinging yourself over that giant pit near the beginning of the dungeon with a combination of bombs, the Pegasus Seeds, and the Roc's Cape.

https://twitter.com/Rumrusher/status/1012400390212587520

It's kinda bananas.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

That arrow is waaaaaaaaaaay less obvious on the original Game Boy :argh:

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Yeah although the Oracle game dungeons get more complicated I don't really feel like they got harder, while I remember struggling with the latter half of Link's Awakening dungeons even on replay and knowing the gimmicks. The first four are quite straightforward and as we saw a bit of here, the last four are not straightforward at all, especially on the old brick Game Boy.

Plus enemies hit hard enough that even if you're overpowered as hell you don't want plow through face-first. With that said, the item we get next episode makes that less of an issue but it's a pretty well-hidden secret.

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 4, 2018

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

That reveal and that music really haunted young me who didn't see that plot coming. Marin nooooooo :ohdear:

You can actually sneak past that flamethrower with a potion! I did this as a kid because the penultimate dungeon completely stumped me, you can actually do everything behind it if you can get past, as well as skip a cutscene on the "bridge".

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

C-Euro posted:

You can definitely play the Ballad of the Wind Fish to the Egg before getting all eight instruments, and it even does the same cutscene that you get when you play it properly, but nothing happens until you do it with all eight.

And it will sound different based on the instruments you DO have, I believe.

The last three dungeons are a doozy, the last pillar here in Eagle's Tower messed me up real bad as a kid. Those bombable walls are way less visible on the brick GB.

I mentioned earlier you can grab the mirror shield and leave, but if you clear Turtle's Rock before Eagle's Tower you won't get to see Marin on the cliff. That was a real surprise when I replayed it.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

GunnerJ posted:

It works too because "waking from a dream" and "nightmares" were all established early on as themes, right down to Link being knocked unconscious at the start. (And, er, the title...)

As a kid, I definitely had some misgivings about playing this through to the end. For such a simple game it has a surprising amount of depth to it. The "Nightmares," whatever they are, took over the Wind Fish's dream and wanted to rule it, which is bad sure, but getting rid of them necessitates destroying a whole world. And your guide throughout the game, constantly pushing you to act out the hero's role, as it turns out is only interested in the wellbeing of the godlike entity it's a part of. The owl straight doesn't give a poo poo that the Wind Fish is powerful enough to dream up real-rear end people, as real as Link, that Link ends up being complicit in erasing from existence. By the end you might feel taken for a ride by how the typical "hero stuff" of killing the bad guys and saving their victim actually has a pretty significant side effect.

Good game, good LP.

I felt the same way but then the more I thought I about it it's very likely Link imported the Nightmares with him when he got sucked into the dream, so it's his responsibility to clean up his own mess. LttP Link has seen some poo poo so him having nightmares makes sense, he's even having them when you wake up at the start of the game!

I never knew you could use the shovel on Agahnim :stare:

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Torrannor posted:

At least the Cane of Somaria in LttP had offensive uses as well, if you were willing to waste your magic for such a comparatively weak item.

The Cane shots/throw a block at an enemy do decent damage to what they can hurt, it's just that's a bit limited. You can ruin Blind with it for example, but that's mostly a randomizer thing.

I think Pacci's cane is the only key item I like in this game honestly. It's just so satisfying to flip things.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Oh I definitely never found those butterflies.

That poo poo should be standard dammit :argh:

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

If you have to make the sidekick comment on how long your level is cut some of it out dammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I don't hate this last dungeon, but all the stuff before it wore out anything other my desire to finish the game as fast as possible.