Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Ah, some fun classic Zeldas. I'll enjoy this letsplay.

Did you know that in this game, your swords last forever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Today, in things Meccaprime got wrong:

- Barrier islands commonly 'migrate' because they erode on one side and sand is deposited on another. They can migrate up to several meters per year. It has nothing to do with tectonic activity, and in case of Oracle of Ages, it's actually surprising how LITTLE they moved in 400 years.

- BIFF grows whenever you finish a certain number of dungeons, over both games if you play a Linked game. It has nothing to do with gasha nuts.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

ThornBrain posted:

McFly thought he was free. And then the Triforce spat him out into another far-off land. It's time for the linked version of Oracle of Seasons!

...Can't you just transfer the rings from Ages to Seasons right away by just talking to one of the snakes in the jars in the ring shop?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Is it me or is that beach's layout reminiscent of the beach in Link's Awakening?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Not only does this game have 4 versions of the map to Ages' 2, it also has Subrosia as an entirely separate (but somewhat smaller) map.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Torrannor posted:

Imagine ThornBrain looking at the map once he gets the dungeon map. Whoa, that would have been cool.

By the way, your Maple encounters in Seasons are just insane.

He got the Maple ring equipped doesn't he?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Torrannor posted:

He does, but I was referring to the results.

By the way, what happened to your av? :(

I seriously have no idea. The only somewhat sensible theory I have is that a little while ago I posted a joke in YOSPOS, that was something like "if you run this command your computer will get faster" but it was a command that deletes stuff that your computer needs to run. I made it obvious that it was a joke, and also it was a reply to someone talking about malware that did a similar thing and that also required an user to do something stupid. And if a command is called "delete important folder" it should be quite obvious what it does, especially to the techy crowd in YOSPOS.

I think some idiot ran that command anyway, hosed up their computer, got angry, and bought me this title text.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

ousire posted:

Since Maple's been showing up so much, is it possible to dodge her? I've noticed it looks like Thorn can move while she's flying around, can you try to sidestep her or will she swerve to still hit you? Or could you just walk off screen and ignore her?

Yup. Actually, if you want a specific item from her you kinda need to pay attention when her music starts playing because it's easy to just walk off screen and miss her entirely. And she won't return after another X enemies kilked.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Gah, I understand that this game isn't as important to you as the 3D zelda LPs but it still annoys me to see all the little things you're missing or get wrong, especially considering the linked game stuff.
We already talked about how you can trade rings using the snake secret. We also explained that the kid grows up based on how many dungeons you defeated so he'll never become an adult in an unlinked game.

And now's the third bit, you seem to believe you have to play the entirety of Ages again to use the secrets, while all you need to do is just load your existing save, tell your secret to the person, you get some special item or upgrade there, you take that to Farore in the tree who gives you another secret, which you use in Seasons, and you have the item you just unlocked in the current playthrough of Seasons. It's only like 5 minutes work.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, thanks for showing these off. There's nothing wrong with the "classic" 2D Zelda's, they're just a whole different experience than the 3D ones.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I'm still not happy that the "Ballad of the Wind Fish" in Majora's Mask doesn't sound anything like the original in this game.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The real question is why Link gunkle can only find the left halves of Kinstones while everyone else has the right halves. And no, they're not just mirrored, they're actually different sets.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

e: Crap, didn't refresh the page before posting. Beaten.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

MarquiseMindfang posted:

My favourite world concept is one which is so high-magic that business wizards would sell their name-brand flip-wands in supermarkets ("Magus Pacci's Patented Inversion Wand, now with 50% more charges!") and all cities are walled fortresses against the untamed and forgotten wilds because public-use portals/teleport magic is so commonplace that there's no reason to have inter-city roads.

Have you read the Hyperion series? It's scifi, not magic or stuff. They're good novels with an interesting plot.

Basically, humans have colonized the galaxy and the "core worlds" are all easily reachable while you need lengthy spaceship trips for the outer colony worlds. The ships go near-lightspeed, meaning that for people on the ship it doesn't take all that long, but when they get out the universe will be 100 years older or whatever.

Anyway, for the core worlds, there's this network of interplanetary instant portals, and most people need to use the public ones. They're like airport terminals where you just scan your ticket and a portal to your intended world will open and you step through. But they did everything imaginable with those portals. Like, there's a shopping street that goes through 10 worlds or whatever, every couple blocks there's a street-sized portal. And the very rich have houses with always-open portals in them, so that every room in their house is actually on a different world. They can watch the sunrise in one room, then walk to the next room and watch the purple sunset on another world 5 minutes later.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

ThornBrain posted:

Hey Hey was Twilight Princess, Dumple was Skyward Sword. gunkle's name actually just comes from the word "gunk", but the Linkle version.
TP HD will happen, just not sure about the co-commentary situation.

And Hey Hey was obviously inspired by Malon's horse in this game saying something that sounds like hey-hey.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

AweStriker posted:

This goes for... well, we'll get there.

Fi does not help, though. The red Loftwing is Skyward Sword Link's real helper.

Are you saying interpretive dance is not a useful skill?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Explopyro posted:

This is spot-on.

At the same time, impressive technical achievements are not necessarily good game design decisions. Mediocre though they may be, all three of those games would probably have been better sans gimmick. (The one thing I really did appreciate in PH, despite being right-handed myself, is that the controls were fully reversible to accommodate lefties. Nintendo don't always do that with their gimmicks - just look at Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword, where they warped the entire game to make it right-handed friendly and then didn't give options.)

That said, I suspect Phantom Hourglass would have been a much bigger success had it been released on mobile phones, because the dissonance wouldn't be smashing you in the face all the time ("look at all these face buttons I could be using! why can't I?") and a new Zelda release for that kind of platform, especially at the time, would have been revolutionary and might have opened the series up to new audiences.

I recently found out that there's actually an option in the Option menu of the Twilight Princess Wii version to change all the Wii pointer aiming into control stick aiming. You still have to slash the Wiimote to use the sword and stuff but it does help if you can't be bothered with pointing your controller all the time.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The main design principle of this dungeon seems to be that you go through the entire thing twice.

You start at the bottom level, then use walkways and such to climb the thing on the outside. Then on the top level, you get the big key, use that to fall ALL the way down to the bottom, fight the Iron Knuckle, and then the second half starts, where you're going through the actual inside rooms of the dungeon, picking up the map and the compass, and climbing all the way to the top AGAIN where you can reach the boss.

It's not that the building itself is huge, is that the game makes you go through it twice.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

I like how the Sword Beam and Peril Beam skills reference the original Legend of Zelda, but the Four Sword's beam attack is from Link to the Past.

Come to think of it, this implies that the Link from Zelda 1 learned the Sword Beam skill somewhere. Does he have a Tiger Scroll we don't know about?

Why would you even assume that different Zelda games have anything resembling a similar way to gain skills, or even a similar set of skills for Link to be born with?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Truthkeeper posted:

drat, Thorn's running out of portable Zeldas fast. He might have to go back to farming games soon at this rate.

I think the rule is that Nintendo should release a new Zelda *just* before Thorn has caught up with all the released games. And this pattern should continue forever.

I am actually seriously wondering what they're gonna do after BotW. More BotW-like open world exploration games, or are they going to focus on dungeons again for the next game? We'll see.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Carpator Diei posted:

A remake of Link's Awakening was announced at the Nintendo Direct :3:

Not quite sure what to think of the art style.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Don't forget the fact that the compass has a new feature.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

What happens if Link equips the Iron Boots and Roc's Feather at the same time?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Heyhey Thornbrain, I don't know if you noticed but at least for this LP of yours, the only available links for the Uncut version in the archive point to the dead Blip.tv

I mean I know it's all on Youtube now, it's just a slight annoyance that the links don't work anymore in the archive.

https://lparchive.org/Legend-of-Zelda-Twilight-Princess-(by-ThornBrain)

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Alkydere posted:

Hey ThornBrain, while this thread is being revived I have a quick question:

Does the Switch count as a portable enough system for you to LP Cadence of Hyrule when it comes out?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYd_pph6RnI

... Was that a SUBROSIAN?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

DoubleNegative posted:

The Algorithm is having a day again, I see.

Yeah I got the same poo poo recommended at the end of this video.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Can I use the fishing tips from this game to catch fish better IRL?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

KieranWalker posted:

Thinking about it, there was that goron in Twilight Princess who was stuck in the frozen lake in Zora's Domain for probably weeks on end. And the old one in Majora's Mask that would freeze solid wandering around outside the village, and you'd have to thaw him out to talk to him.

They get cold, but it doesn't seem to affect them. They're basically just living rocks, I think, like the Rock Biter from The Neverending Story (and now I'm dating myself).

I guess in the case of the former example, it would take a LOT of zoras to lift him out of there...

In MM if you were in Goron form and went in deep water I think you immediately lost a heart and respawned out of the water. In TP Gorons seem to be fine to sit underwater forever.

Inconsistencies? In MY Zelda?

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Thank you for all the LPs!

That was certainly a ride.