Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
guns don't create criminals lol

fix our shithouse economy/country and suddenly the 80-90% of gun homicides that are the direct result of conditions caused by the war on drugs will vanish

That doesn't interest the Democrats, though, they'd rather spin this dumb wheel forevermore knowing nothing will happen but they get support from their base for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
we can trace so much poo poo back to fox news having the legal right to lie

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

gary oldmans diary posted:

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

BigBadSteve posted:

Most murders are domestic violence, and probably not a lot can be done to prevent a lot of them. However, banning weapons that shoot a whole lot of bullets fast will decrease deaths in berzerker killings, because killing a lot of people with an easily obtainable weapon becomes harder. Quibbling about definitions does not change this.

Actually banning these weapons would reduce the overall count by about 10%.

For example. Since the Florida school shooting, almost 500 people have been shot and killed in Chicago. Yes, 500. Of those 500? About 50% via revolvers, about 28% to semi-auto handguns, and about 10% to shotguns. The rest is a split between rifles and unknown.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Moridin920 posted:

fix our shithouse economy/country and suddenly the 80-90% of gun homicides that are the direct result of conditions caused by the war on drugs will vanish

That doesn't interest the Democrats, though, they'd rather spin this dumb wheel forevermore knowing nothing will happen but they get support from their base for it.

Exactly.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

gary oldmans diary posted:

This too, but really it isn't just Fox News it is the entire media apparatus that is owned by billionaires shoveling propaganda at us nonstop. Fox is just one of the most obvious.

Like, consider the entire advertising industry and how much psychological damage it does.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

EvilMerlin posted:

Actually banning these weapons would reduce the overall count by about 10%.

For example. Since the Florida school shooting, almost 500 people have been shot and killed in Chicago. Yes, 500. Of those 500? About 50% via revolvers, about 28% to semi-auto handguns, and about 10% to shotguns. The rest is a split between rifles and unknown.

If those guns were on a registry perhaps the people who had bought them legally initially would be less careless with their guns.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Moridin920 posted:

Oh sure, we absolutely should end capitalism and fix all of societies problems. But that's a long term thing, that's gonna take like, three years, absolute minimum. But my excellent gun control compromise plan could be put into effect tomorrow. And it would result in fewer dead children. Which is a noble goal. At least I think it is.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

...and the pitch! posted:

If those guns were on a registry perhaps the people who had bought them legally initially would be less careless with their guns.

if I was a smart criminal in need of firearms I'd simply look at the registry as a list of homes to invade and rob. Armories, if you will. Yeah homie might shoot one of us but if 6-8 desperate people roll up, lol.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

They have a gun that's now illegal. He doesn't need to cite anything.

That's not the way it works though. You cannot just make something illegal without recourse and compensation.

Protected via the Constitution (and no, I'm not talking about the 2nd Amendment).

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

A large number of firearms in this country illegally are here because of the BATF...

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I only read the bold part and rolled my eyes. So to curb children getting murdered you want to restrict the firearms to would be mass shooters to ones that literally explode people (revolvers, shotguns? LOL).

If you're going down that route you have to support an outright complete gun ban and suck it up for the next 10-30 years for that nasty transition - otherwise what you are saying is stupid. If you dont want to do that, then you have to work on other avenues to stop people from mowing down children - which is hard and takes intelligence and boohoo poo poo like that.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

EvilMerlin posted:

A large number of firearms in this country illegally are here because of the BATF...

Now you need to cite your numbers, not that you said any.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

EvilMerlin posted:

Evidence of this?

The actual truth and fact is that VERY VERY few lawful gun owners become criminals. Does it happen? Sure. But it is very rare.

Would love to see where you are pulling your numbers.

from his rear end

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

if I was a smart criminal in need of firearms I'd simply look at the registry as a list of homes to invade and rob. Armories, if you will. Yeah homie might shoot one of us but if 6-8 desperate people roll up, lol.

Oh gee. Maybe it shouldn't be made public. Whew. That was a tough one.

Korthal
May 26, 2011

sure okay posted:

If I had literally one genie wish it would be to render all gunpowder in the world inert and that we can never make any more

They'd find a way to put gasoline in cartridges.

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

did you know that you can kill a man with a can of soup ??

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Now you need to cite your numbers, not that you said any.

The 2013 National Crime Victimize Survey report there were almost exactly 300,000 crimes, including murders and suicides facilitated with a firearm.

Of those, not more than 5,000 can be shown to have been facilitated with a firearm legally purchased by the offender.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

Was gonna post this.

Fix the society that creates broken homicidal shooters

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

EvilMerlin posted:

The 2013 National Crime Victimize Survey report there were almost exactly 300,000 crimes, including murders and suicides facilitated with a firearm.

Of those, not more than 5,000 can be shown to have been facilitated with a firearm legally purchased by the offender.

OK so no numbers about your claim that the BATF[E] is to blame for large numbers being in the country(?). No numbers on how many straw purchase. The gun has one check when it is bought brand new and then it is out in the wild with no accountability for the initial purchaser.

Kazak posted:

Fix the society that creates broken homicidal shooters

Hard to argue with this.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

curlys gold posted:

did you know that you can kill a man with a can of soup ??

i am botulism king of kings look upon my works ye mighty and despair

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
What about multiple barrels, that would be allowed in your ban and people would start manufacturing modern equivalents of this sort of thing:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

hosed-Up Little Dog posted:

What about multiple barrels, that would be allowed in your ban and people would start manufacturing modern equivalents of this sort of thing:

Do those all fire at once? If so, it's basically just a mega-shotgun? That takes like three minutes to reload? I'd be fine with that

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

OK so no numbers about your claim that the BATF[E] is to blame for large numbers being in the country(?). No numbers on how many straw purchase. The gun has one check when it is bought brand new and then it is out in the wild with no accountability for the initial purchaser.

Hard to argue with this.

Straw Purchases, by default are illegal...

One does have to wonder why school shootings and such are on the rise. They really didn't start until the late 1990's and become "frequent" (and I use that word lightly) until the 2000's.

This isn't a firearm issue.

its a upbringing, responsibility and mental illness issue.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Here’s my solution, OP

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Guy Goodbody posted:

Do those all fire at once? If so, it's basically just a mega-shotgun? That takes like three minutes to reload? I'd be fine with that

Nope, it fires once per trigger pull.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

EvilMerlin posted:

Straw Purchases, by default are illegal...

No kidding. The fact that I knew the phrase didn't clue you in to the fact that I knew that? It happens every day nonetheless. Seems like maybe that law isn't good enough or well enough enforced.

You demanded numbers earlier but you don't have any to back up your weird assertion.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

EvilMerlin posted:

Nope, it fires once per trigger pull.

well then it's semi-automatic. and would therefore be banned under my "ban all semi-automatic guns" plan.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo

Guy Goodbody posted:

well then it's semi-automatic. and would therefore be banned under my "ban all semi-automatic guns" plan.

No it doesn't mean that unless you change the definition of the term

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Guy Goodbody posted:

how can someone this bad at trolling even know how to turn on a computer?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

extra stout posted:

how can someone this bad at trolling even know how to turn on a computer?

trump derangement syndrome

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

hosed-Up Little Dog posted:

No it doesn't mean that unless you change the definition of the term

semi-automatic guns are the kind where you pull the trigger and a bullet comes out, and then if you want a second bullet to come out all you have to do is pull the trigger again

Guy Goodbody fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 18, 2018

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

semi-automatic guns are the kind where you pull the trigger and a bullet comes out, and then if you want a second bullet to come out all you have to do is pull the bullet again

thats not what semi automatic means

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blue Raider posted:

thats not what semi automatic means

yes it is.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

no its not

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Guy Goodbody posted:

OK, so you might've heard that a lot of children are being murdered all the time in America. Schools now have to come up with ways to prepare kids for the eventuality that a guy with a gun will come into their classroom and try to murder them. Some people, myself included, think that's incredibly hosed up and we need to stop it. Other people really love owning guns, they love owning guns and aren't particularly bothered by the fact that an entire generation of children is growing up fearing that any day they could just be murdered in school.

So far it's seemed like an intractable solution. On the one hand, most of the gun control measures that have been suggested are really stupid. A ban on folding stocks, not letting people on the terrorist watch list buy guns, whatever the hell people mean by "expanded background checks" I don't think it means anything, I think it's just a good sounding thing people say. Those idea range from ineffective to terrible and ineffective. But on the other had, the gun enthusiasts just love owning guns so goddamn much, that of course they'll never suggest anything that could possibly get between them and their beautiful guns.

So this is where I come in. I have formulated a quite simple solution that will please everyone. A way to end mass shootings(or at the very least drastically reduce the number of fatalities) that let's the gun owners continue owning guns, which is just as important to them as not dying is to children.

Here's my solution: A total ban on owning, buying, selling, manufacturing, and importing semi-automatic guns.

That's solves it. Gun owners can still buy all the guns they want, they can fill their houses with revolvers, that kind of rifle where you have to pull the thing back after each shot, shotguns, and black powder cannons. It also completely does away with the dumb and ineffective bans on purely aesthetic features, like folding stocks, pistol grips, My Little Pony stickers, etc. that gun owners love to dress up their guns with.

But, and this is just as important as maintaining gun owner's rights to own lots of guns, it will drastically curtail the number of children murdered. No longer will some guy be able to walk into a school and spray bullets everywhere. Regular guns shoot way slower than semi-automatic guns, so mass shooters will be way less effective. Some dude who has to crack open his shotgun and put in another round after each shot will be way less deadly than the current mass shooters we have now.

Another benefit of my plan is that it'll cut down on non-mass shootings. Which is to say, the regular day-to-day shootings that don't even get reported on the news because as a society we just accept that multiple people will be murdered with guns every day. The most common weapon used in a murder is a semi-automatic pistol. Sorry, murderers, those won't be allowed.

I'm imaging that my excellent compromise ban will be phased in over time. First thing, importing, selling, buying or manufacturing semi-automatic guns is made illegal. You can still own them, but you can't do any of those gerunds I just listed to em. Then there will be a buy-back program. For a year or so, gun owners can turn their semi-automatic guns to the government to be destroyed. In return for which they will receive fair market value for the gun. During this time museums and what not will also be able to apply for waivers for guns of historical value. I'm not sure exactly how that would be handled but there's guns in museums in countries that don't allow guns, so clearly there's a way to do it.

After the buy-back program has ended, that's it, possessing a semi-automatic gun is also illegal. But here's the important part, there won't be any cops going house to house kicking down doors. If you take your gun out in public, or the cops find your gun because they're searching your house for some other reason, then the gun will be confiscated and destroyed. The owner will receive no compensation, and will also, I dunno, have to spend a day watching those cell phone videos kids have made during school shootings.

So there you have it. My plan solves everyone's problems and there are no legitimate criticisms to be made against it. Call your Congressperson now and demand they enact Guy Goodbody's excellent gun control solution today!

This is the funniest post you've ever made!

Jokes aside, obviously that's the answer which is why America will never do it. We are a land of perpetual failure.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

we aren't going to get anywhere if you're going to continue to refuse to agree with me.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

we aren't going to get anywhere if you're going to continue to refuse to agree with me.

joking aside i really like this turn of phrase

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Guy Goodbody posted:

semi-automatic guns are the kind where you pull the trigger and a bullet comes out, and then if you want a second bullet to come out all you have to do is pull the bullet again

I'm pretty sure the definition also includes mechanisms that automatically discharge the cartridge, and load another into the chamber as well as re-cocking the gun.

Also I don't think your idea would be very useful in stopping mass shootings. If we are talking about the time it takes to manually eject the cartridge and load a new one (using a bolt action or such) it can be done in less than a second. The only way to really slow down how fast someone could shoot people would be to make all guns muzzleloading I guess. I feel like Jim Jefferies did a bit on this...

e: yep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9UFyNy-rw4&t=428s

Sophy Wackles fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Just deploy the military+national guard in our own streets in high crime areas and it will solve a lot of the problems. If you have a soldier on every corner that can detain anyone they want and search them people will be far less likely to go around carrying weapons. There, problem solved.

• Locked thread