Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
The handball was a card and the 3 on 2 breakaway foul was cynical as gently caress, shoulda been a sendoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

It was still at least a yellow for a deliberate handball and he got nothing for it, while Risdon got a yellow for Griezmann pulling a Vardy

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"
France looked really unconvincing but they won in open play. Fair shout to them (except the yellow card that French guy got for the trip should have been a red)

Other times the aussies have a respectable loss they suck in the remainder games. Hopefully they get a win somwhere else. :sigh:

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

We always cop poo poo refereeing in the world cup, no surprise the game went the way it did

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Well, considering how much they peppered our goal and how nonexistent our attack is, losing by 1 is a decent result.

fridge corn posted:

someone explain why cahill wasnt subbed on for the last sub

I guess it's because you only get 3 subs and old man Cahill probably can't run long enough to warrant a sub anymore? :( Still I think he would've had more impact than Irvine.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

fridge corn posted:

someone explain why cahill wasnt subbed on for the last sub

daniel arzani is the new golden boy

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Waking up this morning and it's really disappointing we couldn't take away a point.

Thankfully the Denmark-Peru game was only 1-0 which is good for us from a goal difference point of view.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I mean 2-1 against the team that was expected to walk all over us? That's decent.

I still think we won't make it out of the group alive, but still decent.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Gridlocked posted:

I mean 2-1 against the team that was expected to walk all over us? That's decent.

I still think we won't make it out of the group alive, but still decent.

Yeah, well we gave France a wake-up call so hopefully they'll pummel Peru & Denmark now.

Edit: Then maybe we can slip by in 2nd place if we can snag a win somewhere...

Fanatic fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jun 17, 2018

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
If Australia got this close to France then they can certainly beat Denmark.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

We kind of have to beat Denmark, and assume France wins all their matches.

Also, SBS is now airing all games for the next two nights because Optus was being poo poo.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I thought our defence was better than our attack, but the French attack wasn't that hot either. Should have been a draw IMHO.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Amoeba102 posted:

We kind of have to beat Denmark, and assume France wins all their matches.

Also, SBS is now airing all games for the next two nights because Optus was being poo poo.

We can still get through by drawing with Denmark and beating Peru, because it's an easy goal difference to turn over provided France get their business done properly

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

I’m just afraid that was our one “good” game and now we’ll poo poo the bed in a majestic fashion, as we are wont to do

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Also, just in case you didn't hear:

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/sbs-to-broadcast-all-world-cup-action-live-over-the-next-48-hours

because Optus failed.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

This literally was posted three posts above but who cares this owns so hard I approve the repost.

gently caress I'm so hype for this just like old times. Are any of y'all old enough to remember Korea/Japan? That poo poo made me a football fan for life with it being in our time zone.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I am also hype for this, I remember watching the Koreans getting the ref care the Italians normally got instead of the Italians and the Europeans losing their loving minds about it.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jun 18, 2018

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

We can still get through by drawing with Denmark and beating Peru, because it's an easy goal difference to turn over provided France get their business done properly

True, but it relies on GD going our way. Though that should easier I guess considering if we draw with Denmark and beat Peru, and France beats Denmark, then at worst, we'd both be at 0 GD. Then it would come down to goals scored, so we'd be pretty much safe so long as Denmark doesn't get a high scoring loss while we get a 1-0 win. If it went on to fair play for tie breaking, we'd probably lose out.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Yeah that's what I meant, Denmark only winning 1-0 and us only losing 2-1 put the goal difference in a lot easier reach than if both margins had been 2-0, should we only draw with Denmark. I mean, ideally we want to beat them so we only need to draw with Peru rather than win or die, but still.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Yeah, I remember failing to qualify against Uruguay, going for the Irish (lol) and probably Germany too. And I also was in high school, and there was literally no one else playing football at lunch at all for the prior 3 years, and then everyone playing after the world cup.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

algebra testes posted:

This literally was posted three posts above but who cares this owns so hard I approve the repost.

gently caress I'm so hype for this just like old times. Are any of y'all old enough to remember Korea/Japan? That poo poo made me a football fan for life with it being in our time zone.

I’m old enough to remember the 82 cup in Spain. But my clearest early World Cup memories were 86. The hilarious way that England went out set the tone for world cups for ever. Overshadowed though by Zico and Socrates missing penalties in the semi final.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

algebra testes posted:

Whoops sorry. At least I backed it up with a link :v:

quote:

That was a good one, it was mad. The first WC I paid serious attention to was 1998, and everyone was surprised and shocked by France who just seemed invincible that year. I think it was 2010 when they put up a screen at Birraung Marr, a park in central Melbourne, and I went down with a friend and froze our butts off with a large crowd of fellow aussies.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
My earliest world cup memory is Roberto Baggio's penalty in the 1994 final. But involving Australia - it'd be the 1998 qualifier against Iran, when that dreadlocked feral ran on the pitch and ripped the net. It took 20 minutes to get fixed, and we completely switched off during that time.

And yes, 2002 completely owned because the games were all afternoon and evenings. I remember watching England vs Argentina on a Friday evening after work in a pub completely packed to the rafters, like it was grand final day. It owned.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

So when exactly does SBS make the games available "On Demand"? They seem to be putting them up later and later, and TUNENG isn't even up yet, and the replay is wholly over.

Edit: gently caress me, it's just up now - after I gave up on them putting it up anytime soon and spoiled the results. The Russia game was available at 7am, the GERMEX game a little after 8am, and TUNENG after 10.

Amoeba102 fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 19, 2018

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Amoeba102 posted:

Yeah, I remember failing to qualify against Uruguay, going for the Irish (lol) and probably Germany too. And I also was in high school, and there was literally no one else playing football at lunch at all for the prior 3 years, and then everyone playing after the world cup.

I remember a kid brought the gold painted variation of the 2002 World Cup ball to school and we played with it at lunch time. At one point the kid booted it really hard into another kid who jumped out right in front of him and it literally broke his arm because it was pumped up too much so was hard as a rock lol.

I didn't know that was possible.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I remember not knowing anything about soccer and being dragged to the Australian V Solomon Islands game at Hindmarsh Stadium which was a WC qualifying thing, where the mighty Aussies drew 3-3 against literal part-timers, thus discovering that the Socceroos are useless wastemen and that the world cup is the best.

I don't even care about making it out of the group phase, I just want Cahill to score and come the 4th person ever to score at 4 Cups (Alongside Pelé & Klose & Seeler)

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I don't like Cahill but I do really want him to equal that record

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Cahill's only 38, he could play at another WC

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

vyelkin posted:

Cahill's only 38, he could play at another WC

he won't last another 4 years without club football tho

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
we should follow the latin american model: if you pick and oldass, formerly great player: he starts; because otherwise wtf is he doing there.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

webmeister posted:

My earliest world cup memory is Roberto Baggio's penalty in the 1994 final. But involving Australia - it'd be the 1998 qualifier against Iran, when that dreadlocked feral ran on the pitch and ripped the net. It took 20 minutes to get fixed, and we completely switched off during that time.

And yes, 2002 completely owned because the games were all afternoon and evenings. I remember watching England vs Argentina on a Friday evening after work in a pub completely packed to the rafters, like it was grand final day. It owned.

Getting home from school and putting on the football was fantastic

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
I reckon Cahill will get gametime in the next game or two, its a decent strategy to play defensively to eke out a point against france without chancing injury/fatigue on your old star, then bring him out to make a difference when you need and can realistically get 3 points.

that said i think denmark will probably still beat us

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
I'd normally say we have zero chance of getting out of the group stage given our next two opponents are ranked 11 and 12 but then Poland got wiped by Senegal so its all still open.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

busb posted:

I reckon Cahill will get gametime in the next game or two, its a decent strategy to play defensively to eke out a point against france without chancing injury/fatigue on your old star, then bring him out to make a difference when you need and can realistically get 3 points.

that said i think denmark will probably still beat us

:agreed: Now that we are playing to win, we should see Cahill come on in the second half at some point. Otherwise I don't know how we'll reliably score anything.

The results of the Cup so far has shown that the rankings are fraudulent and with our defence as solid as it has been I still think we have a chance.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
The classic Australian defensive strategy is the more important the game the further they stand from the attacking team.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/SBS/status/1009323333756674049

nice work optus.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

haha money well spent.

i didn't have any connectivity issues but the quality is poo poo

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

lmaoooo

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
Pretty sure after next week all the games will be at 12 and 4am so kinda pointless for live streaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I asked for a refund for the subscription through Google Play and it got approved instantly lmao

• Locked thread