Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Captain Beans posted:

What about an auto turret in the corner of every classroom????

I bet we can get the NRA behind that right?

Dahir Insaat is working on it as we type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I know people hated the idea but so far I think that armed guards in schools have greatly impacted mutliple mass shootings now for the better. Nobody likes it but I think maybe we should legitimately just upgrade their armor.

Yes, it seems odd to say the school security officer should be wearing full Level IV combat armor all day, but given they've been repeatedly wounded in the last few shootings I'm starting to think it's practical. Not like you're going to hurt more people with better protection.

Captain Beans posted:

What about an auto turret in the corner of every classroom????

I bet we can get the NRA behind that right?

Actually no kidding South Korea uses pretty effective networked autoturrets from a decade ago. To get dystopian for a minute autoturrets would actually be a great security protocol because they aren't a big deal if they get shot and they can totally use less-lethal options, if only it wouldn't cost like 2 million bucks a school to set them up.

If they ever get that tech down to the cost of like $30,000 a pop (which they might be nearing) we'll probably see loving autoturrets everywhere, not just schools. Banks would be a real big candidate. Today's joke is tomorrow's future.

ED: 7 Years ago: https://youtu.be/Oa08Gbn6iqs?t=2m3s - I can only imagine that newer designs are better in every way but yeah, this sort of poo poo is real not sci-fi.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 22, 2018

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
In the bright future of tomorrow, the banks will be held up by hacked autoturrets!

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
goons unironically suggesting autoturrets everywhere, lol.

never change, GBS.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

There are serious ethical concerns with having fully automated murderbots that identify targets and open fire without any human input in the chain, even if you assume that programming is perfect (lmao)

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

social studies homework is due you have twenty seconds to comply

you now have fifteen seconds to comply

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

berth ell pup posted:

goons unironically suggesting autoturrets everywhere, lol.

never change, GBS.

kill 'em all roflmao

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

If you forcibly train all kids, starting at pre-school, in inscrutable hand to hand killing techniques like the quivering palm and hadouken, not only your classrooms will have perfect discipline but gun violence will be eradicated within a generation.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
Do you know what the word "inscrutable" actually means?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
lol that americans actually believe that brinkmanship is a good thing.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

berth ell pup posted:

Do you know what the word "inscrutable" actually means?

Meant to be "inscroteable", drat autocorrect just never understands or interprets things correctly

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Colonel Cancer posted:

Meant to be "inscroteable", drat autocorrect just never understands or interprets things correctly

Hitting below the belt is very dishonorable.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

We need to upgrade Dan Patrick to deal with this threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Zefiel posted:

yeah man those roving gangs of felons armed to the gills kicking in doors loudly and screaming at everyone to get down so they can rob your TV are making the police's job so much more difficult. Home invasions, totally identical to how SWAT works.
you awake in the pre-dawn hours as you hear your front door being broken open, objects being displaced and heavy steps approaching your bedroom

you're half awake and at no point does anyone identify themselves

you have no reason to suspect it's the police because you're completely law abiding (or possess a small amount of recreational drugs) and the Methville PD either got the wrong address or are acting on a bullshit tip from an informant

your door bursts open and a black-clad man wearing a mask enters your bedroom with a gun leveled at you

no-knock raids as they're actually conducted are pretty much pure bullshit and you should not feel remotely bad for cops who get shot conducting them

• Locked thread