Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How would you rate Kimetsu no Yaiba?
Excellent
Good
Fine
Meh
Bad
Awful
View Results

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i really like how inosuke doing his thing always elicits shrieks of terror in every civilian nearby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i also really like how all the girls get crushes on tanjirou because of how sweet and kind and helpful he is during downtime, rather than the shounen staple of big dramatic rescues during fight scenes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
kind of early for an anime

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, until now half-demons weren't really a thing. i'm not sure if that's what genya is, even. it doesn't quite fit with how demons have worked thus far.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Fabricated posted:

Gotouge does a pretty good job of making you feel bad for most of the major demons. The spider kid is pretty heinous but the ending after he dies and his parents' spirits literally come to comfort him and willingly go to hell with him is really affecting.

you pity them for what they became. once they started eating people, their memories faded and they became brutal caricatures of their past selves.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm not really sure how his epiphany about being nice to people and his memories where he was very kind and gentle as a child lead to this.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he said what he thought when back when he had amnesia too. it's just that what he said revealed he was kind of a dick.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
her hair is necessarily less detailed in that design, so the result is that it looks neat instead of disheveled.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
she hasn't kicked it, though. whenever she taps deep into her instant regeneration demon power nezuko gets closer to chowing down.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
kanroji is a good girl

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
up til now it seemed like nezuko was getting deeper and deeper into being a demon. she's transformed, acquired unique abilities and fallen to berserker rages. her less than demonic lifestyle seemed like it could only delay the process. i'm really not sure what's going on here.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, it was supposed to be about taking their blood to study it and synthesize a cure. i don't think anyone ever claimed that mainlining demon blood would do anything for her.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
nezuko hasn't been all there mentally ever since she was turned. we just couldn't tell the degree because she couldn't communicate.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they now have several reasons for the remaining pillars to hang out with tanjirou, which is very good

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm worried about nezuko, now. the people who were supposed to be protecting and curing her are completely mad for revenge, and nezuko hasn't appeared in a while.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
nezuko was entrusted to people who would do absolutely anything to kill muzan. one of them blew up his family to attack muzan! it is unlikely that she was treated well after being separated from tanjirou.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
this was back when no one had ever killed an upper moon

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
of course, that doesn't explain why pillars never managed to team up and gank lone upper moons in the long history of demon hunters. it really wouldn't matter if they had, since muzan can replace demons much more quickly than they can replace pillars, but it's still an odd detail.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, but the upper moons weren't that much stronger than the current pillars. it isn't an overwhelming, hopeless power difference like it is with muzan. 1v1 the moons win every time (until zenitsu lol), but there's no reason why after several generations pillars never managed to gang up on one of them.

it's not really a big deal, just a minor plot hole.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there are no other, stronger villains past muzan. the only way this isn't the ending is if muzan gets away.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he was a brand new upper moon who zenitsu knew very well, still fought using their shared style and looked down on his opponent. without all of those advantages zenitsu definitely couldn't have beaten an upper moon alone. heck, probably not even if he was unconscious.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm kind of confused at how this is going. so, the first moon is one of the first generation of demon hunters. the same as tanjirou's mysterious ancestor who apparently beat the poo poo out of muzan, was the origin of the face mark thing, and used the breath of the sun. the first moon uses breath of the moon, so there is absolutely some deep connection between the two of them. except, tanjirou isn't present. even if he arrives later he isn't in any condition to contribute anything to this scene.

it's very strange.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
then who the heck was the dude who terrorized muzan?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he almost certainly is not because muzan is incredibly petty and he'd never keep the one person he fears by his side, demon or not.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if more of the upper moons had gone down then muzan would probably have disappeared for a generation or two. he was lured out, not tracked down.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's enlightenment after dying and being resuscitated, while still being on the verge of death. it's still probably not going to be enough.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Look at this chapter image.

Again, this isn't Tanjirou's fight, it's Yoriichi's rematch. Tanjirou's just channeling his spirit and lending him a body to maneuver.

he's only ever recalled his own ancestor's memories. tanjirou might yank some previously unknown fire dance mastery out of his genetic memory, but if so it won't be from yoriichi. tanjirou and yoriichi aren't related, and ghosts haven't appeared as more than a 'hey i'm dead now and here is my dead family so let's go to the afterlife' thing. dude's completely dead, from old age hundreds of years ago. it's an intrinsic part of being human that separates them from the demons.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
muzan's goal is nezuko and the pillars can't actually prevent him from leaving. he's sticking around because he wants to stick around. i wouldn't go as far as saying that nezuko running in is part of his plan, but he might be hoping the demon slayers bring her in to use somehow.

also, tanjirou isn't halfway to demonizing. the blood he was infected with was too potent, so he's dying instead.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's not bad right now but i'm looking forward to the author's next work more than the end of this one.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they kind of wrote themselves into a corner. if the upper moons had been spread out more the story would have been better, but muzan had no reason to allow that to happen. there was never anything preventing muzan from acting exactly as he pleased, and due to his personality that means either using overwhelming force or disappearing for a few decades.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

Didn't expect Muzan to try and run so early was expecting him to do that around the last few minutes.

i expected him to run as soon as things started looking even slightly bad for him. muzan's not a risk-taker.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
tamayo's been plotting for a century while hiding from muzan. she made an adorable demon cat with an antidote-launching backpack! after that, i can buy any crazy poo poo she pulls so long as it dicks over muzan in some way.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm not sure how the story could possibly justify it, but it would be pretty sweet if nezuko grabbed a sword and started fire dancing too.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
basically, i just want nezuko to actively contribute somehow. getting eaten, cheering from the sidelines or only being a liability all seem more likely, though. i guess kny has been lovely about nezuko for so long that i don't expect it to stop now.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
having the entire cast be willing to die for a cause and then actually doing so is very rare in manga. usually with that level of resolve there's some copout like the dead people all miraculously surviving. none of these characters thinks they are going to survive this fight, and it's very striking.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's nice. usually when there's some legendary figure with amazing accomplishments the protagonist has to equal or exceed them. but nah, this guy was uniquely talented and no one like him has appeared again.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it wasn't muzan's secret weakness, no. but it's strength that tanjiro needed because holy poo poo was he ever outmatched. if anything it was a little too convenient how the fire dance's key feature was that it could be sustained long term, which tanjiro learned specifically when he needed to keep going despite his wounds and fatigue.

i liked this fight because while tanjirou is certainly special, he's not so special that it necessarily had to be him in this role. muzan was beaten by strategy and numbers, not the idiosyncrasies of any specific combatant. aside from how they kept him alive, tanjirou's sword fighting skills were almost incidental to the overall plot. his greatest asset was always what a good boy he is. the demon slayers only reached this point because tanjirou made friends and refused to give up on his sister.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ah, dang. isekai time for muzan.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if true, that's a great direction for the story. no last words, no ghostly reconciliation. just nezuko, left behind with no closure. that stings so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sadly, nezuko is probably going to get gutted instead of inosuke. she's always been a humanoid plot device so why would that change now?