Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How would you rate Kimetsu no Yaiba?
Excellent
Good
Fine
Meh
Bad
Awful
View Results

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/demon-slayer-kimetsu-no-yaiba-chapter-161/chapter/18301?action=read

Get hosed Douma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

They earned it well. Plus Douma was a huge piece of poo poo

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
There should be a new Upper 5 as well. Along with new Upper 4 Nakime.

Though presumably they should both be inferior to the old Upper 6.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fabricated posted:

And she paid for it with her sight which is kinda sad. Left eye is done, right-eye is mostly done.

No Only one of her eyes is partially blinded. And it may heal.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fabricated posted:

New Chapter: Yeah Upper Moon 1 is on another level.

To be fair Douma was also stupidly powerful. He only lost cause he ate a ton of poison without realizing it. Had that not happened an Ice Clone he created would have killed his opponents for him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Reiche posted:

A perfect example of that is the upper moon 6 guy Zenitsu fought. He was a relatively new demon and still relied on his breath of Thunder techniques so Zenitsu was able to kill him with his own new technique.

Yushiro is fixing up Zenitsu afterwards and says had he fought him a year later when he had any idea how to really use his demon blood, he would have died on the spot.

There is also the fact that he was no doubt inferior to any other previous Upper Moon and was only there because of the openings.

Wonder if there is a new Upper Moon 5. It would not make much sense to skip out in replacing him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Grouchio posted:

Can Gendou re-attach his gut and arms?

Genya and yes, cause of his demon eating powers that give him demon properties.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the same as tanjirou's mysterious ancestor who apparently beat the poo poo out of muzan,

It was not his ancestor. That guy passed on the earrings to Tanjirou's ancestor.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

then who the heck was the dude who terrorized muzan?

Probably this guy or his brother.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mraagvpeine posted:

We saw that Muzan replaced Upper Moons 4 and 6, but what about 5? Did we see that demon at all?

Not yet.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Grouchio posted:

How does one swallow a sword without cutting up his digestive tract?

By taking advantage that it's made of blood and not metal.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Grouchio posted:

No I mean, aren't there other powerful demons in Japan besides them? Or in Korea/China?

Muzan's the strongest and he could theoretically replace even the strongest Upper Moon. But unless Muzan left the country at some point there would be no demons elsewhere.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Link.

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/demon-slayer-kimetsu-no-yaiba-chapter-175/chapter/19217?action=read

Honestly the biggest surprise was that he never met Tanjiro.

Honestly I am mainly looking forward to Muzan's reaction that his greatest servant fell before any pillars died to him. (Even if one will pass away after.) As Muzan was asking how many Pillars he killed.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 20, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Grouchio posted:

Shinobu: Am I a joke to you?

That was Doma not Kokushibo.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Which does not make too much sense, given that Shinobu is only two years older then Kanao.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fabricated posted:

New chapter up on the Viz website: https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/chapters/demon-slayer-kimetsu-no-yaiba

We knew the Mist pillar was dead as hell but I guess this confirms Genya is dead too.

I think Genya will get back up.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Patware posted:

The prettyboy upper moon also I think really got weakened. I feel like that dude should've been a whole arc with the characters having to navigate his hosed up cult instead of his hosed up cult being something we're being directly told about. There's been a lot of telling and a lot less showing.

We learned about Douma's cult when he first appeared. Though I do agree he could probably have had his own arc.

However I would not say he was weakened, in terms of Raw Power I would say he was the strongest of the Upper Moons. His Ice powers were stupidly devastating, and the fact that he could create copies of himself with the same powers was even more impressive. He died cause he unknowingly ate a ton of poison.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fabricated posted:

The power levels for the upper moons actually kinda feels pretty logical. Akaza was 3rd and it took the MC and one of the better Pillars to barely beat him, Douma was 2nd and two non-pillars barely cut his head off after he eats literal pounds of deadly poison on accident and kills a pillar, Kokushibou gasses out fighting the two strongest pillars (both of which he fucks up fairly bad) and kills another pillar that had previously soloed upper moon 5 and a non-pillar who was hopped up on demon flesh.

Gyuutarou only did as much damage as he did and took as much effort as he did because no one was marked at the time.

Kanao was also stated as being stronger than Shinobu was so she was piller level.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Wark Say posted:

I also get the impression that, fancy Demon Blood Arts aside, Kokushibou is probably somewhere not too far from Muzan in raw strength.

I would say Douma was more impressive to me in terms of Raw Power. Kokushibou was much more impressive skill wise however, which made it much harder to actually hit him.

Hantengu had a similar level of raw strength to Kokushibou, and was for sure stronger than Akaza in that respect, even if Akaza was more dangerous due to how his power worked.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

It was funny how he was all like "Hey, if Akaza could surpass his limits then I could too!" and then when he failed right away he was like "Oh well I guess I'll die."

Yeah he was just like. Nope way too much poison affecting me, no way can I get back up. Oh well.

mabels big day posted:

Akaza's backstory was the most gut-wrenching to me since the spider guy. The other ones didn't have quite as much impact on me as far as tragedy goes.

Well Akaza and Daki were the only members of the Upper Moons that actually had tragedy in their backstory.

Kokushibo was a envious of his brother and too arrogant to believe that anyone that came after him would be special. Douma was a sociopath with no true emotion. Hantengu was a selfish cowardly rear end in a top hat. Like from what we saw, there was little difference between Douma and Hantengu's human and demon selves.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Oh Snapple! posted:

ngl i got mad as gently caress at that spiteful slash at Yoriichi's corpse.

also it's interesting to me that akaza has been the only upper moon so far to have a...regrettable, I guess, end; given that i don't think it's unfair that you go into this arc wanting him to get his

Akaza was probably the only Upper Moon to be sympathetic outside of Daki.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Roland Jones posted:

I wasn't exactly expecting him to die but at the same time his vertical bisection made it really, really hard for me to see how he'd survive.

I thought he would eat Upper One's Remains.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mighty Dicktron posted:

I feel like Demon Slayer has been the overall realtime fastest I went from "oh hey this is pretty good!" to "well, I think I'm done reading this" with any shonen series with how this is going. Granted, it's well into its life cycle and when it's almost done, so I guess good work on that?

I think it's still pretty good and am enjoying it. So you do you I guess.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The best chance they have of victory is take out Nakime, which should put everyone back on better terrain and allow the sun to come in.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Man Muzan is such an rear end in a top hat.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Man Muzan is such an rear end in a top hat.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Wark Say posted:

Yeah. One thing that I liked is the explanation I read in some analysis piece (or probably the JoJopedia? Can't super recall rn) that Kira himself knows that what he's doing is not right, but sees it more like how you or me would see like a bad habit (chain-smoking, overeating, toilet-seat arrangements, you name it) in that he just needs to stop doing it and he'll be fine/"back in the wagon" again.

Muzan is more monstrous, but when Tanjirou first encounters him, he seems perfectly capable of just playing this "upstanding citizen" persona he has as Tsukihito so that the boy would leave him and his "family" alone. Also, like Kira, he seems to have a problem in dealing with his anger.

Take those drunks he ran into. While one of them insulted and bothered him, he was still planning on just walking by until one of them triggered his sore spot namely saying he looked near death.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
This takes care of Muzan avoiding the Sun.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
New one.
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/demon-slayer-kimetsu-no-yaiba-chapter-183/chapter/19557?action=read

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well this is bad. He got a fatal amount of blood. Which means if he does survive he will turn into a Demon.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
While I have enjoyed this latest arc, it's a bit of a shame. All three of the top Upper Moons could have easily supported their own arc.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Noo the Cat.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
While this has nothing to do with what's going on. Here are Muzan's feelings about his Best Demons.

Databook posted:

Kokushibo: Business partner. No real affection.

Douma: Doesn't really like him.

Akaza: A favorite since he is loyal and serious.

Hantengu: Ordinary. He's annoying sometimes but tolerable.

Gyokko: His favorite. Gyokko's pots are rather beautiful. They sell for a high price.

Gyuutaro: A favorite. Muzan highly values his circumstance and greedy personality.

Daki: Not a smart child.

Nakime: A favorite since her ability is useful.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Mar 15, 2020

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

paragon1 posted:

Wasn't biwa player the new 5?

She was 4. We are missing 5.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

if anything it was a little too convenient how the fire dance's key feature was that it could be sustained long term, which tanjiro learned specifically when he needed to keep going despite his wounds and fatigue.

That aspect of it was the very first thing we learned, back during the Rui fight.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/demon-slayer-kimetsu-no-yaiba-chapter-199/chapter/20234?action=read

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't think this is over? Muzan said he was putting on a layer of extra flesh as armour, I'm expecting his final form to be revealed once that's burned off.

Yeah but the extra flesh was to protect his body. It being burned away just means his actual body will burn.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Grouchio posted:

They already stated that Kimetsu is ending in 5 chapters.

That was not stated anywhere. That was just a theory because that would wrap up a volume.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rody One Half posted:

Man

This is just not what I wanted from this ending

I don't know

We don't know that the series is ending yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Spoilers for next week's chapter.

Seriously this is major and turns everything on it's head, we may not be ending anytime soon, so I am giving a buffer

Tanjirou is a bad boy now