Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
All Hail Ranch.

Ubiquitous, terrible, unhealthy and boring, Ranch is the Condiment of America. According to Wikipedia, Ranch dressing is made of buttermilk, salt, garlic, onion, mustard, herbs (commonly chives, parsley, and dill), and spices (commonly black pepper, paprika, and ground mustard seed), mixed into a sauce based on mayonnaise. Whether as a sauce, a dressing, a drink, or an industrial lubricant, we all know, love and bathe in it.

But this is the year 2018- surely we goons can do better (read: worse)!Hence this contest:

Invent the successor to Ranch as the Official Condiment of America.

How to enter
Entries should post a recipe to make an entirely novel sauce that will supplant the vital role of Ranch in the American diet and zeitgeist. Bonus :effort: points for actually taking photos of yourself making your new sauce and applying it to something.

Scoring
Entries will be scored on how well goons think the condiment will meet the desired criteria. Is the new sauce:

1. Disgusting (as measured in calorie count, ingredients, or how it feels when rubbed between your fingers/elsewhere)
2. Universal (Does it seem like your ingredient would appear on salads at Ruby Tuesdays? Can Pringles make a kind of chip flavored off of it? Can Pepsico flavor a Mountain Dew variant with it? Could it be given a different name and appear on every New American menu in the country? )
3. American (Is the new recipe :911: enough? Naming, ingredients, preparation, cultural role, everything counts here.)

Winner decided by thread consensus.

Prize
Winners receive nothing but attention and scorn.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Example Entry

"Rumble Sauce"

One part pureed tomato
One part melted butter
Dash dried black pepper
Salt to taste

This is to be served over any food as a "hot sauce". Comfortably domestic yet "exotic" and "spicy", this sauce is perfect for service on any cuisine, at any occasion, in any setting. Also popular in mixed drinks in need of a bigger "kick".

Entries:

Doc Walrus posted:

Gun Violence Sauce

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 24, 2018

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
To much pepper, I thought I believed in you Vox. Shameful.
<3

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Manuel Calavera posted:

To much pepper, I thought I believed in you Vox. Shameful.
<3

well, it's an example. I don't want to claim an unfair advantage with my American Culinary Expertise.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

If my kitchen manager lets me make an extra batch tomorrow, I will document our in-house sauce, which I feel is firmly poised to be America's Next Top Iron Ranch IdolTM

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Hmmm I have an idea. One and a half ideas maybe. The lighting in my apartment is god awful, which will make it mood lighting in this scenario. Count me in!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I call it "Hot Dog Sauce." Or, alternatively, "Steak Sauce"

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
mix mayo and herseys chocolate syrup with a couple shakes of tobasco because spicy chocolate is exotic. serve over anything

add in some slurried cilantro and lime juice to give it more of a "latin" kick

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you think I'm giving you the recipe to my chipotle-curry yum yum sauce you're loving insane.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Okay here's my submission. It's Called Gun Violence Sauce. It goes on everything!
Recipe:

3/4 cups sour cream
1/4 cup cream
2 jalapenos, roasted, then seeded and veined so nobody calls 911
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
dash of onion powder
dash of garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
Add all ingredients to a food processor and blend away!

Nutritional Information:

A flickering red neon sign that says "BLOOD SEX"

Goes great with:

Microwaved steak fingers! I didn't have these in the cafeteria in middle school like many people did, so they're not utterly ruined for me.

REVIEW: Pretty solid dipping sauce. The taste is mild with a little bit of spiciness that lingers for a second.

Shredded pork tacos! Don't they look wonderful? See how it shines under the stove light?

REVIEW: Works well enough, but not as well regular sour cream without all this pageantry. Even sour cream has to make way for Gun Violence Sauce, though!

Salad! This is a cheap and basic Caesar salad from HEB. Just like ranch, the official condiment of the Alt-Right, Gun Violence Sauce can be either a dip or a dressing! Just add another splash of cream and some more salt + pepper so the flavor isn't diluted too much. Isn't this a nice, regular sized bowl?

REVIEW: It was going to be a boring salad either way, and Gun Violence Sauce didn't fix it. Oh well!

Well that's my sauce folks! Hail Satan!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
jerk off onto your food. if you need more store it in a goon approved vase

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Doc Walrus posted:

Okay here's my submission. It's Called Gun Violence Sauce. It goes on everything!
Recipe:

3/4 cups sour cream
1/4 cup cream
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
dash of onion powder
dash of garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste

Nutritional Information:

Goes great with:

Microwaved steak fingers! I didn't have these in the cafeteria in middle school like many people did, so they're not utterly ruined for me.

REVIEW: Pretty solid dipping sauce. The taste is mild with a little bit of spiciness that lingers for a second.

Shredded pork tacos! Don't they look wonderful? See how it shines under the stove light?

REVIEW: Works well enough, but not as well regular sour cream without all this pageantry. Even sour cream has to make way for Gun Violence Sauce, though!

Salad! This is a cheap and basic Caesar salad from HEB. Just like ranch, the official condiment of the Alt-Right, Gun Violence Sauce can be either a dip or a dressing! Just add another splash of cream and some more salt + pepper so the flavor isn't diluted too much. Isn't this a nice, regular sized bowl?

REVIEW: It was going to be a boring salad either way, and Gun Violence Sauce didn't fix it. Oh well!

This actually looks tasty, although I might double the jalapeños (and smoke them instead of roast them cuz I like to do that) and add some fresh chives, cilantro, parsley, and lime juice. Also replace the cream with buttermilk and add real garlic.

EDIT: Oh and put some adobo sauce from a chipotle can in there.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 23, 2018

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Doc Walrus posted:

Recipe:

3/4 cups sour cream
1/4 cup cream
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
dash of onion powder
dash of garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste

Nutritional Information:

Goes great with:

Jose posted:

jerk off onto your food. if you need more store it in a goon approved vase

Nooner posted:

mix mayo and herseys chocolate syrup with a couple shakes of tobasco because spicy chocolate is exotic. serve over anything

add in some slurried cilantro and lime juice to give it more of a "latin" kick

we have some really strong contenders here! Jose, Nooner, what are the names of your entries?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 24, 2018

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

This actually looks tasty, although I might double the jalapeños (and smoke them instead of roast them cuz I like to do that) and add some fresh chives, cilantro, parsley, and lime juice. Also replace the cream with buttermilk and add real garlic.

EDIT: Oh and put some adobo sauce from a chipotle can in there.

That's all great advice for a good sauce, but I was going for more of a mass produced dollar store vibe (which is why I subbed onions and garlic for powder.)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
this is pretty :nws: but apparently someone actually did my idea

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3833370&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=324#post484504400

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

gently caress, I had a huge backlog of posts in that thread, now I have to find my spot and re-bookmark it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I'll link this, Jose, but I still need a condiment/sauce name for your entry.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

I think you need at least two ingredients for a sauce, and counting the sperm doesn’t count.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

the littlest prince posted:

I think you need at least two ingredients for a sauce, and counting the sperm doesn’t count.

The goon approved vase is the second ingredient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

One word: hozon

• Locked thread