Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
do you think the government abused their power a bit too much because he sneakily connected his laptop’s ethernet port to MITs network and download a bunch of documents that should have been freely available anyway?

i think he had some crimes that should have been rightfully held against him, but nothing as serious as 35 years and 1m dollar fine

he was a great guy, not in it for the money, and wanted to bring more freedom to people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

I’m glad hes dead, OP

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
he broke the law and was offered a plea deal for 6 months in jail (because he was white) but because he was mentally handicapped he killed himself.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i always get him confused with ross ulbricht

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

akadajet posted:

i always get him confused with ross ulbricht

quote:

To prevent Ulbricht from encrypting or deleting data on the laptop he was using to run the site as he was arrested, two agents pretended to be quarreling lovers. When they had sufficiently distracted him,[27] according to Joshuah Bearman of Wired, a third agent grabbed the laptop while Ulbricht was distracted by the apparent lovers' fight and handed it to agent Tom Kiernan.[28] According to Business Insider Ulbricht was distracted and got up to see what the problem was, whereupon the female agent grabbed his laptop while the male agent restrained Ulbricht. The female agent was then able to insert a flash drive in one of the laptop's USB ports, with software that copied key files.[27] Agent Chris Tarbell presented Ulbricht the warrant for his arrest.[28]

woah! sounds like Hollywood!

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

his nazi girlfriend at the time ratted him out to the cops, and that’s how he died

fully leaking JSTOR would have been a public good

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

woah! sounds like Hollywood!
i wonder if it was microsoft COFEE or w/e. i remember nerds freaking out that it had some sort of backdoor exploit then when it finally leaked it was just a bunch of freely available tools

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i don't

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
there are a ton worse injustices in this world than the sad outcome of nerd martyr over committing a white collar crime for e-cred :shrug:

the black comedy outcome of that martyr being nerds more concerned about a complex issue that they have almost no direct stake in rather than the state of mental healthcare in the US

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
rss is a good idea so its sad we maybe missed out on a couple more of those

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

lancemantis posted:

there are a ton worse injustices in this world than the sad outcome of nerd martyr over committing a white collar crime for e-cred :shrug:

it’s true, and more attention needs to go towards those, but the justice system really took it to the extreme and basically sacrificed someone (before he killed himself) when he could have had so much more beneficial impact. i blame the system for torturing him and his death

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
yeah, should’ve just taken the 6 months though

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Shaggar posted:

he broke the law and was offered a plea deal for 6 months in jail (because he was white) but because he was mentally handicapped he killed himself.
popped a handicap in his own rear end

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
tired: aaron swartz
wired: derek smart

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Shaggar posted:

i miss z0r

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

OldAlias posted:

his nazi girlfriend at the time ratted him out to the cops, and that’s how he died

iawtp

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

OldAlias posted:

wtf thats who she is

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

Shaggar posted:

gently caress you bitch.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Shaggar posted:

Even 6 months in jail seems ridiculous for that kind of "crime".

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
literally who cares about some dead nerd?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

The Management posted:

literally who cares about some dead nerd?

Yeah, why should anyone care about having a just justice system.

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
the way you know if what you did was the right thing is if you're willing to live with the consequences. if stealing some papers was justified, then spending 6 months in jail if caught would have been more than worth it.

i guess don't be a criminal if you lack the courage of your convictions

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

download a bunch of documents that should have been freely available anyway?

Explain the "should" here.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

angry_keebler posted:

the way you know if what you did was the right thing is if you're willing to live with the consequences. if stealing some papers was justified, then spending 6 months in jail if caught would have been more than worth it.

i guess don't be a criminal if you lack the courage of your convictions

This is a Hacker News level dumb take on the issue.

This seems like the type of "crime" someone should get a minimal amount of community service for at most.

Not 35 years in jail.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 12:26 on May 23, 2018

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Schadenboner posted:

Explain the "should" here.

lol @ defending scientific magazines. Open access is the light.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Lambert posted:

This seems like the type of "crime" someone should get a minimal amount of community service for at most.

Not 35 years in jail.

Spending 6 months in jail (and it might not even be prison at that point, although that might just be a state crime thing). He could have took the deal, ate the sixer, went on the convention circuit like a latter-day Mitnick, and enjoyed an overflowing Patreon.

Instead he topped himself.

:sigh:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 12:54 on May 23, 2018

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Lambert posted:

This seems like the type of "crime"

Oh so you don't even know what you're talking about

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Baxate posted:

Oh so you don't even know what you're talking about

Nah, I think you're the one that doesn't.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

right because wire fraud is typically a charge that leads to community service

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Baxate posted:

right because wire fraud is typically a charge that leads to community service

What?

I'm saying what he did should have gotten him community service at most. Or dropped charges.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Lambert posted:

What?

I'm saying what he did should have gotten him community service at most. Or dropped charges.

What he did was wire fraud

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Baxate posted:

What he did was wire fraud

What he did should have gotten him community service at most. Or dropped charges.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
chmod bless aaron swetz

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
information wants to be free!
*gets caught copying documents from a publication literally anyone can pay to read*

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Lambert posted:

Even 6 months in jail seems ridiculous for that kind of "crime".

breaking and entering plus theft are not trivial crimes. if he weren't white hed have gotten the full 35 years.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it's sad what happened but it seems weird to call that out as a great injustice injustice when kids get multi-year sentences for being in the same 1/4 mile as someone they know who does a crime and looks like they're part of a gang so I can't get too assed about it

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

Lambert posted:

Not 35 years in jail.

goofus: it's okay for me to break the law if i disagree with it, and if you try to punish me i'll kill myself, so you can't stop me!

gallant: i was unjustly imprisoned for taking action to address what i viewed as the immoral and selfish restriction of academic journals. while i believe the punishment i received was entirely inappropriate, i wouldn't do anything differently

please direct all requests for speaking engagements to my hot babe publicist wife, as i'm unfortunately too busy working on my third book to address these requests. thank you all again for your continued support, i never would have been able to buy this mansion and my personal jet pack that i invented while i was cooling my heels in the clink without it

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
didin't know him sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Rules are rules, that's what I've always said. Yessir, rule are rules. Rule are rules are rules are rules. -a god drat idiot

-Salt Fish

• Locked thread