Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?
Que sera, sera. Let's Play Red Dead Redemption!

What is Red Dead Redemption?

Wikipedia posted:

Red Dead Redemption is a Western-themed action-adventure video game developed by Rockstar San Diego and published by Rockstar Games. It was released for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 consoles in May 2010. It is the second title in the Red Dead franchise, after 2004's Red Dead Revolver. The game, set during the decline of the American frontier in the year 1911, follows John Marston, a former outlaw whose wife and son are taken hostage by the government in ransom for his services as a hired gun. Having no other choice, Marston sets out to bring three members of his former gang to justice.

What's gonna go down in this thread?
Well, I'm playing through the game on Normal difficulty, because I learned my lesson the first time. I'll also be trying to do 100% of the side missions.

I'm trying live commentary from the driver's seat for the first time, so bear with me. This will be streamed on Twitch, so if you want to catch it live and talk with us during the recording stop on by, but don't worry if you miss the stream! Everything will be posted to YouTube later!

Who are you guys?
We're some people, you may recognize us from some really old LP's. Like, really old. Our outlaw posse for this old-western romp will occasionally consist of myself, MissileWaster, as well as Dr. Roosevelt, CherryDoom, drakkel, Rock Tumbler, Studio, and Zero.

Okay, so what's the update schedule look like here?
lol schedule

Oh wait, I actually do have a schedule this time around. My plan is to stream on Twitch sometime Saturday, or possibly Sunday morning so we can do live commentary. We will record for about 3 hours. This footage will be split up so I will hopefully have a video a day Monday through Friday. I may also record some of the more boring things off-stream to keep the stream/main videos a bit more focused and exciting, these bonus videos would go up on Saturday if I do one. This is all the plan, and my plans tend to fall apart so don't take it as gospel I guess.

Thread Spoiler Policy
Well given that CherryDoom spoiled the ending in the first recording session I guess don't stress too hard about it.

Videos:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Part 17
Part 18
Part 19
Part 20
Part 20.5
Part 21
Part 22
Part 23
Part 24
Part 25
Part 26
Part 27
Part 28
Part 29
Part 30
Part 30.5
Part 31 (this one got content ID'd for the song, so if you see ads I'm sorry about that, I didn't want there to be any on these vids)
Part 32
Part 33
Part 34
Part 35

MissileWaster fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Reserved.

The first recording session (videos 1-5) are going to look kinda dark, and the audio for the game will fluctuate a bit. Sorry about that, I've got the game audio level figured out, and I'm working on getting everything figured out for the brightness.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
You are slipping in your old age Missilewaster, these videos really need more flawless jumpcuts. Also Pebbletumbler is clearly carrying this LP

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

SpRahl posted:

You are slipping in your old age Missilewaster, these videos really need more flawless jumpcuts. Also Pebbletumbler is clearly carrying this LP

Not being able to do jump cuts is driving me crazy, I miss my jump cuts :saddowns:

Anyways, here's Part 3, with such exciting moments as us arguing over the value of $5 in 1911!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I was actually thinking about all y'all about a week ago as I was looking around the LP Archive, and so am very glad this came up!

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Last time I remember seeing the gang was GTA4 and everybody laughed at some friend or neighbour who traded a new TV for 5000 bitcoin. How many private jets does that TV-trader have now?

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Scratches a very old itch hearing this crew gently caress around in an open world game again.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

MrLonghair posted:

Last time I remember seeing the gang was GTA4 and everybody laughed at some friend or neighbour who traded a new TV for 5000 bitcoin. How many private jets does that TV-trader have now?

I think Rock Tumbler actually found that video too a bit ago. Welp, color us wrong, as per usual!

Zero000
Mar 8, 2008

Woof.
What are let's plays?

What's Something Awful?

I've been sucked away by fighting games

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The way Bonnie and John talk to each other sure sounds like John was not supposed to be married.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Wow, my audio quality really is terrible. Sorry about that. I’ll try a wired headset next time.

Feels good to do this again though.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I love that you guys are back to loving around in open-world games.

RDR is one of my favorite games of all time, and I'm seriously considering getting a PS4 or XBone just to play the new one. And I'm still salty as gently caress that RDR will likely never get a PC release.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Weedle posted:

Feels good to do this again though.

Even though you ditched us like CherryDoom at PAX.

Which can be heard now in Part 4!

Sorry that the game audio gets kinda loud at this point, I over-tinkered during the stream but I think I know where the levels need to be now!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Rest in peace, Deputy Wilhelm.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

KozmoNaut posted:

And I'm still salty as gently caress that RDR will likely never get a PC release.
At least you can now play it in 4K (or 1080p downsampled from 4K, if you don't have a 4K TV) on the Xbone X. Of course it's still locked to 30 fps and uses the original models and textures, but it holds up pretty well nonetheless.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I know, but I don't have an XBone and will likely never get one, the 360 version is pretty enough.

I just want to be able to still play it in 10 years, when the last 360 finally RRODs. And I want crazy stupid silly mods, like for all the GTA games.

I want to rip around an early 1900s open world environment in a monster truck, while dressed as Sonic the Hedgehog, murderizing random wildlife with a fully automatic grenade launcher.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 25, 2018

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Happy Friday yall, here's an extra long episode for Part 5!

This is the last part from the first recording session. The next main recording session will be tomorrow, probably in the morning, and will be streamed live on Twitch. I may also do an off-stream recording tonight to get some boring odds and ends out of the way before the stream. If you can't catch the stream, the only thing you are missing out on is the live interaction with us, so don't worry if you miss it!

MissileWaster fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 25, 2018

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
Oh right I found your logo

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Happy Memorial Day, everyone! While hopefully enjoying your day off, why not also enjoy Part 6!

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
Oh man, Rock Tumbler has a kid? It seems like just yesterday he was posing for a greased up mugshot.

Great to see you guys again, since Busta Supreme docroosevelt was never actually going to get off his duff and LP again I'm glad someone did it.

Hope y'all are doing good, enjoying the heck out of this so far.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

CherryDoom really doesn't seem to like Nigel West Dickens in Part 7!

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Lets pal around with Seth in Part 8!

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Playing dress-up and losing at poker are just a few of the exciting things to see in Part 9!

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
RDR is one of my all-time favorites. The gunplay is top-notch and it manages to come across as a ridiculous caricature that points out the myriad flaws in the Wild West mythos using Rockstar's traditional bag of tools, WITHOUT feeling insufferable like GTA has become. That's an achievement.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Exactly, it works so well in pointing out the silliness of wild west movies and the whole "white cowboys good, injuns bad and/or noble savages, mexicans drunk and lazy" stereotyping, while delivering a surprisingly decent story about the last dying gasps of an era that just stubbornly refuses to let go, despite the world changing around it.

Marston knows he's a relic of a bygone era, and he really just wants to kick back and live a normal life with his family.

I do feel that they could have upped the depravity of those last pockets of lawlessness, though. It feels like even the worst of the worst scum in RDR are a little bit too clean cut, honestly. If they had gone a bit harder for the desperation and ugliness and crushing hardship that frontier life always had lurking in the background, I think that could really have made for an even better experience. Maybe a lot of people would have found it too depressing and bleak like GTA IV, but I really really like GTA IV, though. So maybe my opinions are bad and wrong.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jun 1, 2018

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I love Marston's comments every time you skin an animal, they're pretty great.
Mountain lions in this game are legit terrifying, first time one bushwhacked me was a nasty surprise and it pretty quickly hosed poor Marston up.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Part 10

Hey kids, it's Doctor Roosevelt drakkel!

Dreadwroth posted:

I love Marston's comments every time you skin an animal, they're pretty great.
Mountain lions in this game are legit terrifying, first time one bushwhacked me was a nasty surprise and it pretty quickly hosed poor Marston up.

I actually got knocked off a cliff by one in my practice file right before starting this LP! Hopefully it happens again, it's pretty hilarious.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

I do feel that they could have upped the depravity of those last pockets of lawlessness, though. It feels like even the worst of the worst scum in RDR are a little bit too clean cut, honestly. If they had gone a bit harder for the desperation and ugliness and crushing hardship that frontier life always had lurking in the background, I think that could really have made for an even better experience. Maybe a lot of people would have found it too depressing and bleak like GTA IV, but I really really like GTA IV, though. So maybe my opinions are bad and wrong.

Clearly it just needs a wacky sidekick going "Marston my cousin!".

White Coke
May 29, 2015

SpRahl posted:

Every time you stop at the telegraph office there’s a stack of telegrams asking you to go bowling.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SpRahl posted:

It has Nigel West-Dickens, though.

For every Roman or Nigel, there's a Little Michael or I dunno... Seth?

I always take the rear end in a top hat choices when playing GTA IV, including ignoring every friend and relationship. It fits much better. Except Little Michael, he's cool and he sells guns.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jun 4, 2018

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Happy summer everyone! Here's Part 11!

Join us as we slowly meander through this here Red Dead Redemption with resident speedrunner Studio! (and CherryDoom, like always)

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Part 12!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Don't really have much to say about the game itself (not really big on playing GTA-style games and enjoy watching folks like you do it much more), but I am still watching and enjoying your chatter. :)

e: oh wait, about the previous update, I didn't know what Liar's Dice was until seeing that video, and it does look as awesome as people kept telling me it is

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Don't really have much to say about the game itself (not really big on playing GTA-style games and enjoy watching folks like you do it much more), but I am still watching and enjoying your chatter. :)

e: oh wait, about the previous update, I didn't know what Liar's Dice was until seeing that video, and it does look as awesome as people kept telling me it is

I think it's probably my favorite mini-game, as random as it can be at times. The AI seemed weirdly good at calling my bluffs, but that may have just been my luck during the stream.

My least favorite is honestly five finger filet. I'll have to do it for a scrap, so that should be coming up within the next two streams I think.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
Harold East-Vaginas

So I found the mugshot in my 2011 picture folder, if you're still looking for it.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Happy Wednesday, here's Part 13!

coleman francis posted:

So I found the mugshot in my 2011 picture folder, if you're still looking for it.

Nah, that won't be necessary.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Part 14!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So when this is over will you tackle the cursed GTA:IV lp?

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Rirse posted:

So when this is over will you tackle the cursed GTA:IV lp?

I sure as hell won't, I don't really like the game and have never beaten it.

I'm posting Part 15 now instead of later because I'm kinda busy during my normal "posting updates" time! I'm planning on doing the next stream tomorrow morning at about 8am cst for anyone interested in watching!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
Which part has story time with cherrydoom aka the best part of this LP?

• Locked thread