Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gribble
Nov 16, 2005
I know this is probably a long shot, but with that said...

While my younger sister was recovering in the hospital from chest surgery, her street-parked car was decimated by a big rig driven by someone who clearly shouldn't have that responsibility. To the best of my knowledge, this was on Saturday, but that's a tad murky as we couldn't talk to campus police until Monday.

Someone living nearby snapped a photo, but it leaves a lot to be desired; while I can do a lot of things with a computer, image processing is not my strong suit, much less decoding pixelated JPEGs.

The issue here is that she just graduated and is waiting to begin law school, so she's broke. The only way she can get any help is by figuring out the company the negligent individual was driving for (and ideally some identifying information about who that could be). So in addition to the picture, let me just give a few facts that may be relevant:
- This occurred in the Oakland neighborhood of Pittsburgh, PA, specifically on the intersection of Semple St. and Ward
- The street he was on (Semple) goes from two-way to one-way at that intersection, which he clearly was unaware of (the person who took the photo told police the truck went into reverse very suddenly to try to turn) . That makes me think the driver probably wasn't super familiar with the area.
- Unfortunately, there are no traffic cameras and local businesses I've spoken with have no street-facing surveillance.
- I know I'm forgetting some things, so if you have any questions I'd be happy to answer them.

And here's the photo we got from the cops: https://imgur.com/a/gvpPqDn

I really want to help my sis, who is in terrible shape, so here's what I'm looking for: if you can, by any means, determine the company from the logo on the side of this truck, or any other way you have, I'll gladly pay you $100 for your time and effort: PayPal, Cashier's Check, whatever you want. That's regardless of whether the insurance ends up working out. And please use any methods you're comfortable with, because if you can somehow solve it with a glance or a phone call the reward won't be any less. I'll be a real hero if I can figure this out, and by extension you will be too!

Thanks in advance: I know it's long odds, but SA has surprised me more than once. PM me or reply with any questions.

Gribble fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tachycardia!
Apr 18, 2007
Th' Main Man
WM Parker?

http://www.wmparker.com/#wmparker

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
At a glance it looks like the SAIA logo, but I'm still looking.

Gribble
Nov 16, 2005

Thanks for the quick feedback. I pulled up a few images of their trucks, including the one you linked to, and found a couple discrepancies: on the truck in question the writing in the logo curves in an arc (not flat like WM Parker), and it contained very little text and/or imagery in comparison.

I sincerely appreciate the quick feedback, though, and I do not want to discourage you or anyone else: I did a lot of my own searching for possible matches before posting this yet I never found WM Parker myself, which is a lot closer than most stuff I looked at, so props.

It's totally possible that someone could think of a clever search query that provides the answer in under a second and puts a hundred bucks in their pocket, so I'm all for that or any level of engagement.

One thing I meant to mention in the OP: this is entirely conjecture on my part, but looking at the local businesses on Google Maps (as I'm not personally familiar with the area) turned up mostly convenience and grocery stores, restaurants, a food court, and I believe a beer distributor; since the accident was on a surface street and not a through way, that truck could very well have been making a local delivery, if you follow my logic.

Anyway, thanks again everybody!

Gribble
Nov 16, 2005

G-Prime posted:

At a glance it looks like the SAIA logo, but I'm still looking.

Thanks, really appreciate the help!

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Try Reddit in a local subreddit. I'm sure one of them could ID it. The SA-Mart crowd is simply too low traffic for this kind of stuff IMO. If you offer the reward there they may be even more motivated.

I loving hate bad truck drivers, and I hope you guys find this prick.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I can't guarantee the logo, but I know this is a Freightliner Cascadia truck. There are small variations between yearly models (namely the "back" window) but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out which year that boy there is.

Hell, this stock image may straight up be the same truck that hit your sister's car.

Judging off other freight company logos, SAIA is the only one with a distinct name above and quick wisk beneath. They also solely put their logo (when on the side) underneath the truck window.

Only difference is that they sometimes have a line decal that goes across. Also, mostly yellow is not always.

Annorax
Oct 20, 2008

Wistful Admiral
Do the cops have this picture in any better resolution?

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
e: Didn't see the post by LODGE NORTH until the thread updated when I posted this.

Just adding some model year information it appears to be between 2008-2012. The reason I say this is the specific full length design of the diamond plate running board seemed to not exist after 2012 and looked completely different before 2008.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 03:15 on May 23, 2018

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

edit: double post

wa27 fucked around with this message at 03:34 on May 23, 2018

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I don't know much about truck licensing, but what's with all the DOT numbers (presumably) on the right side. Looks like there's 5 or 6 listed - does that mean they operate in that many states or something?

Also I don't know if you were in contact with the person who provided the pic (I'm guessing not), but they might be able to get a higher res picture. What you have is a screenshot of a snapchat (with jpg artifacts to boot). If they exported to camera roll and emailed it, that might be enough to decipher.

Here's how Photoshop scales it, FWIW:

Looks like a four letter word, possibly ending in a lowercase 'y' (and maybe the tail underlines the whole thing)

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

Does the John N Elachko funeral home on the corner of Dawson St and Semple St have any cameras watching over the parking lot?
Alternatively, the Hemophilia Center of Western PA on the corner of Dawson and Boulevard of the Allies has what looks like a camera facing the intersection in the direction that the semi would be going.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

My best guess on some googles is Bay and Bay trucking http://bayandbay.com

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

As an aside, while looking up trucking companies in Penn, I found this

The Postman
May 12, 2007

At the next intersection the truck would've presumably gone to, there's a little convenience store on the corner of Ward St. and Boulevard of the Allies. Slim chance they have much surveillance on that part of the intersection, but it's a shot. If you assume the truck made a right on Boulevard of the Allies there's some businesses along the way (car lot, Panera Bread, Papa DaVinci's, a laundormat) that might help.

It's been mentioned already, but definitely try other social media. Check stuff associated with the local universities. I hope you find some answers!

Edit:
http://www.bayandbay.com/bay-and-bay-pittsburgh-pa-job.php
They're refrigerated trucks, and if you're assuming a Saturday morning/afternoon delivery that might help you narrow it down. If they were trying to go that direction up Semple it could be something on Forbes or Fifth on Pitt's campus.

The Postman fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 23, 2018

Madness
Jan 23, 2007

Anyway to get the high-res photo from the picture takers phone we may be able to do more with it.

Madness
Jan 23, 2007

https://imgur.com/a/lRUmDdU

What about McCoy trucks?

Gribble
Nov 16, 2005
Wow, I really appreciate all the feedback, guys! Just to address a few things: first, I did consider a local Reddit sub post, but I decided I'd rather pay a goon if possible - been here since '05. If I have to go to Reddit eventually, okay, but loyalty, you know? Second, it is indeed a screenshot of a Snapchat provided by the police: this obviously isn't the crime most important to them in a major metropolitan area, so I think we were lucky to even get the picture. What I know about that is that the individual took the picture before the crash, and after that heard loud banging and scraping. The Sgt. related that the screenshot is all they have and did not provide contact information for the original photographer.

I could try to push for that on the outside chance it may be some degree clearer, but what I do know is that if I can provide them with some meaningful evidence (which doesn't mean beyond a reasonable doubt), they'll get that company's records to determine whether they had a truck in that area at the time of the wreck. Like I said, it's not their highest priority crime, but as this was the second serious hit-and-run that damaged my sister's car in three days and we have a snapshot, they'd certainly like to send a message, to someone who'd drive so recklessly through a college neighborhood and not even bother to leave a note on cars they total.

Gribble
Nov 16, 2005

Fly with me posted:

Does the John N Elachko funeral home on the corner of Dawson St and Semple St have any cameras watching over the parking lot?
Alternatively, the Hemophilia Center of Western PA on the corner of Dawson and Boulevard of the Allies has what looks like a camera facing the intersection in the direction that the semi would be going.

Honestly, I'm not sure - the businesses I've tried were all near the intersection. I appreciate the information and I'll give it a try, let you know if anything pans out from that. I'm not super optimistic, which is to do with the other shops I contacted, not you at all, but there isn't much I'm not willing to try just to achieve a modicum of justice. Thanks for the leads.

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005
I don't know if this is helpful but if the trucker was not familiar with the area it likely originated out of state. If that is the case it likely hit a PA weigh station en-route and you might be able to get the State Police to see if any trucks matching that description weighed in during a specific time frame on that day and get more information from them. Weigh stations normally collect that kind of information and definitely are surveilled.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

If you post on Reddit please post the link. I’d love to know if you find the ahole.

Piggy Smalls fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 23, 2018

Gribble
Nov 16, 2005

Piggy Smalls posted:

If you post on Reddit please post the link. I’d love to know if you find the ahole.

I spent the day calling business owners in the area, including ones suggested in this thread, and somewhere along the way I ended up arranging a local news story that just went out on TV. Since you've all been so helpful, if you're interested you can see the piece they ran here: https://cbsloc.al/2kj8T8k

The biggest update from today is that the funeral home - which had the most promising cameras - is undergoing renovation that necessitated their removal before the time in question. I hope to learn more from the community here - I really would love to pay someone - but either way I'll update with any new developments. Hopefully the KDKA story jogs some memories, because, and I was not previously aware of this, the driver of the truck damaged six or seven additional cars in adjacent parking. A professional driver hit seven or eight cars and just drove off... it's loving infuriating.

Gribble
Nov 16, 2005
Breaking: Crime solved, we found the guy! It took a lot to achieve this outcome, but well worth it. I'll update shortly with all the details for anyone who's invested or just interested in the outcome. In the mean time, is like to offer my sincere gratitude to each of you who spent some of your own free time trying to help out - it's really great of you.

Madness
Jan 23, 2007

Awesome were any of us even close, and glad your sister will hopefully catch a drat break man. Also glad to see your rocking a solid goon style beard!

Madness fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 25, 2018

darkhawk
Feb 20, 2003
:D
Wish I could've helped, but I've been following, and it's awesome to see that it did get solved. Can't wait to read more!
*grabs popcorn awaiting anxiously*

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Gribble posted:

Breaking: Crime solved, we found the guy! It took a lot to achieve this outcome, but well worth it. I'll update shortly with all the details for anyone who's invested or just interested in the outcome. In the mean time, is like to offer my sincere gratitude to each of you who spent some of your own free time trying to help out - it's really great of you.

Definitely want to hear those details. Nice work!

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
:hellyeah:

Hope they get the book thrown at them. Hit and runs are hosed up man. Glad your sister will see vengeance soon.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Glad to hear you cought the jackass

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Just postin to say hell yeah to finding the person responsible

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Gribble posted:

SA-Mart feel-good story of the year! Can't wait to hear more details on this.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,

Necronomicon posted:

SA-Mart feel-good story of the year! Can't wait to hear more details on this.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

:f5:

Bad News Panda
Aug 17, 2010

:gaysper:
Kirby says trans rights!

It's this kind of thread that keeps me coming back to SA, hope your sister gets some compensation!

Madness
Jan 23, 2007

I'm dying to hear this story but I'm starting to feel like we are getting epically trolled. Clearly it happen their was a news story.. but was it his sister lol

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Madness posted:

I'm dying to hear this story but I'm starting to feel like we are getting epically trolled. Clearly it happen their was a news story.. but was it his sister lol

We're never gonna hear from him again and it's gonna turn out he was the truck driver along :aaaaa:

Madness
Jan 23, 2007

codyclarke posted:

We're never gonna hear from him again and it's gonna turn out he was the truck driver along :aaaaa:

*Mind blown*

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,

Seriously. What’s with the delay on the story.

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Piggy Smalls posted:

Seriously. What’s with the delay on the story.

The truck was a TRANSFORMER, and he's trying to sneaktype the story on his phone while in a secret government location.

Madness
Jan 23, 2007

I think the truck was carrying and experimental airborne virus. When it crashed into his sister's car the cabin was breached leaking some of the chemical out. The OP looking into his sister damage got to close and breathed in one of the spores. Making him a carrier he then infected his whole family and work place. Currently they are dealing with the side effects of the agent that cause blindness and fits of rage..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
New mystery to solve: Gribble's kidnapping.

Dying to see an update on this truck driver!