Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.

Anyone who's played a video game or two over the last eighteen years or so has probably at least heard the names "Hitman" or "Agent 47". The stealth assassination game series has been around for quite a long time, with most being fairly successful for IO Interactive. (I'm looking at you, Absolution.) In 2006, IO released the fourth installment of the series, Blood Money. Built on the same engine as its predecessors, Blood Money has all the hallmarks of the series, as well as some added extra goodies for quality-of-life and polish. The ranking system, which started in Hitman 2, also makes a return with a few changes of its own. No longer does it track nebulous terms like "close encounters", nor does it punish you for taking too many shots (or counting headshots as a negative factor). Instead, it focuses on things that matter, like the amount of "accidents" people run into, how many non-targets and non-combatants have been harmed or killed, and things of that nature.

If you want to see some of the other games in the series in action, here's a handy list of LPs of them!

The main LP is being conducted in two manners with different stipulations and restrictions for each, with an exception for the first level/tutorial, Death of a Showman.

The first playthrough will be done on Normal difficulty. The ruleset I'm following (again, excepting Showman) is as follows:
  • No witnesses
  • No innocents harmed/killed
  • No blown disguises
  • Combatant kills are fine, bodies found are fine.
The second set of videos is on Professional difficulty, aiming for Silent Assassin rank. This means all of the above restrictions, as well as no bodies found and no non-target kills. Stealth and "accidents" will be the main features of the Pro/SA runs.

All of that being said, these aren't the only two sets of videos I'll be doing. I want you to challenge me. Give me rulesets for a level and I'll figure out a route for it and record it! The only thing I ask is that the challenge be completable.

The main videos will be subtitled, while the bonus challenge runs will be voiced. Subtitles in brackets are either my personal feelings or mechanical explanations. Everything else is meant to be read in your best David Bateson/Agent 47 impression.

There is no spoiler policy--this game's been out for 12 years now. Just be courteous and tag 'em.

Now that that's all out of the way, let's get to hitting some men (and women), shall we?

General:
-No custom/starting weapons, stealth (PurpleXVI)
-100% accuracy, all headshots, newspaper tally/analysis (Emissary666)
-Killing spree (Emissary666)
-Bombing spree (Zeoraima - YouTube)
-Frenzied Firefighter (Erwin the German)
-Best Dressed by Default (Erwin the German)

Vintage Year:
-Boots on the Ground (CirclMastr)
-Kill all drug makers (Lord Windy)
-All accidents (Lord Windy)

Curtains Down:
-War Reenactment/Procured on Site/No Bathroom Breaks (Chitoryu12/CirclMastr, Emissary666, PurpleXVI)

Flatline:
-Therapy (CirclMastr)

New Life:
-Easter egg death (CirclMastr)
-Only Clown disguise (Emissary666)
-Sushi Chef/Pianist (Emissary666)
-No truck, not on camera, don't hurt dog (Emissary666)
-Slugger (Erwin the German)

Murder of Crows:
-Kitchen Knife only (CirclMastr)
-SIG 552, Kazo TRG and briefcase, don't touch red (SA specified) (Emissary666)

Watch Out:
-Only Santa disguise (CirclMastr)
-All bodies down the drain (chitoryu12)

Mississippi:
-Easter egg (CirclMastr)
-Shovel only (RickVoid)

Do Us Part:
-Sociopath (CirclMastr)
-Gazebo stairs (Emissary666)

House of Cards:
-No two kills w/ same disguise (CirclMastr)
-No elevator hangings (Emissary666)

Devil:
-Cane sword only (CirclMastr)
-Opposite disguises only (Emissary666)

XXV:
-Easter egg (CirclMastr)

Pythonicus fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.

So let's talk about rankings. Blood Money tracks the stats I listed in the OP, but they aren't the only factors in the ranking the game gives you after a mission. The game will also take note of how loud and how violent you are in your pursuit of the targets, which affects your ranking. The highest ranking you can obtain in the game is Silent Assassin, which is my aim in the Pro difficulty videos. I said it in the OP, but I'll repeat it in more detail here.

The requirements for Silent Assassin on Professional are:

-No witnesses
-No bodies found
-No innocents harmed/killed
-No non-targets harmed/killed
-Must have suit and all custom weaponry before exiting
-Can't be caught on camera -OR- must collect video tape before exiting

There is another, fairly similar ranking for killing everyone on a mission with all of the other restrictions for Silent Assassin, called Sociopath. In some ways, this is actually harder than SA due to the fact you can't allow anyone to see a body, and there's going to be bodies enough to trip over.

There are several other rankings--too many to go over in detail--but any rankings I happen to get during the course of the LP will be listed here. Unfortunately many of the ranking guides online don't have exact stats, or have completely incorrect information, so most of these will be me spitballing requirements based on the stat tracker I use in the videos.

Death of a Showman:
The Eraser - 1-2 Noise, 4 Violence, 10+ kills, 2+ witnesses, 1+ body found

A Vintage Year:
The Ghost - 0 Noise, 0-1 Violence, <6 kills, 0 witnesses, 0 bodies found

Curtains Down
Silent Assassin (Normal) - 0 Noise, 0 Violence, 0 kills, 0 witnesses, <3 bodies found

Pythonicus fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 6, 2018

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.

The first mission of the game is a very linear tutorial. You can sort of go off the rails a bit, but it'll just make the level that much harder (case in point, when I go off script at the beginning of the level proper), due to the fact that you can't choose your equipment like you can for the entire rest of the game. We'll be returning to this mission much, much later to give Pro/SA the shot it deserves.

Newspaper clippings:

The Eraser Massacres 16!
Cold-Blooded Killers on the Run
Biotech Boom Goes Bust
Drug Cartel Liquidated
Kids' Lemonade Stand Condemned and Demolished

Pythonicus fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 23, 2018

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Let's see if I can post some not-too-difficult challenges without them being not-too-interesting either.

Vintage Year: Complete the mission while keeping your feet on the ground (no climbing onto or over a wall, into a container, or through a window).
Curtains Down: Kill both targets with the real WWI pistol.
Flatline: Complete all objectives (including optional ones) without using any disguise other than the Therapist.
A New Life: Show off the easter egg death.
Murder of Crows: Kill all targets with a kitchen knife (optional: no throwing it either).
You Better Watch Out: Kill all targets while disguised as Santa.
Death on the Mississippi: Show off the easter egg.
Till Death Do Us Part: Get the Sociopath ranking.
House of Cards: Don't kill any two people while wearing the same disguise.
Dance with the Devil: Don't kill anyone with any weapons except the cane sword.
Amendment XXV: Show off the easter egg.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Challenge: Pick the mission with the most enemies, and complete it by killing everyone.

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

One thing I always found odd about Death of a Showman is that the game apparently finds no problem with letting you leave behind evidence that would incriminate your client. Also, maybe its the obsessive collector in me, but whenever I start a new game I try to bring as many collect as many guns from the level as possible; I don't know if it is an oversight, but the last ACA case (where you get the mines) acts as a normal case and lets you smuggle out several guns that are unavailable until later levels.

Some challenges:
Curtains Down: Do not go into the lobby bathroom, star in a play, unlock the secret room
New Life: Only wear the clown disguise,
Murder of Crows: Retrieve the SIG 552 while maintaining a SA rank, do not touch the red bird
Till Death Do Us Part: Kill the target by pushing them down the gazebo stairs
House of Cards: Do not garrote anyone in the elevators

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Death on the Mississippi: Welcome back to Shovel Murder Simulator 2006...

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.
Got some good stuff goin on! I'll be starting recordings for some of these within the next couple of days. Keep em comin'!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I was never good enough at Hitman to suggest challenges and while Hitman was never praised for much beyond the sandboxes I have always liked how the tutorial starts with you killing (or evading) drug dealers and ends with a man who is all too aware of all the pain he has wrought, has lost everything and everyone close to him except for the one thing that caused his misery in the first place, who's last act begging for his life, and the only thing you can do is kill him because, hey, you're a hitman. It isn't your place to give people second chances. Do your job.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I think you should aim to get Sociopath whenever you can.

Also challenge: Drugs are bad, kill all the drug dealers and makers in Chile.
Second Challenge?: OSHA-Nightmare, kill everyone you can with accidents. If Silent Assassin can still be gotten after accidentally killing civilians, do that as well.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Curtains Down: Make both kills with the C96.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I didn't even know the Sociopath ranking existed, I'd like to see you pull off that one on a mission or two.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Kibayasu posted:

I was never good enough at Hitman to suggest challenges and while Hitman was never praised for much beyond the sandboxes I have always liked how the tutorial starts with you killing (or evading) drug dealers and ends with a man who is all too aware of all the pain he has wrought, has lost everything and everyone close to him except for the one thing that caused his misery in the first place, who's last act begging for his life, and the only thing you can do is kill him because, hey, you're a hitman. It isn't your place to give people second chances. Do your job.

I like how 47's tone even conveys that. "Look I've had a long day already, will you shut up, look at this photo and die? Thanks."

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.
So, who likes wine tours?

Of course, I didn't want to post the update without at least ONE challenge as well! First up is CirclMastr's suggestion. Again, thanks everyone who's submitted challenges! Cutoff point for submission is probably going to be somewhere around Death on the Mississippi or 'Till Death Do Us Part. I'll keep you posted.

A Vintage Year: Boots on the Ground

Lord Windy posted:

I think you should aim to get Sociopath whenever you can.

CirclMastr posted:

Till Death Do Us Part: Get the Sociopath ranking.

PurpleXVI posted:

I didn't even know the Sociopath ranking existed, I'd like to see you pull off that one on a mission or two.

I've done some fooling around with this, and... hoo boy. I'll continue to try and score some of these rankings. I'm sure I can do it, but it's like a puzzle--gotta figure out how the pieces fit.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Man, the intro with the journalist... the music REALLY sounds like some Deus Ex .mod music.

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

A few observations:
For the coin to work as intended (rather than tricking the AI), they cannot see you throw it. This is never really made clear by the game.
If you are just going to throw Fernando over the balcony anyway, use the sedative on him rather than the wire, it counts as an accident that way
I am perplexed as to why Manuel didn't notice the RU-AP, in my experience the AI starts freaking out whenever they come within a mile of one that was not specifically placed with the "plant mine" command

Also, I'd like to amend my previous challenge issued for Murder of Crows: Collect thing 552, the Kazo TRG, and the briefcase while maintaining an SA rank; optionally, do not touch the red bird.

Emissary666 fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 2, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Emissary666 posted:

A few observations:
For the coin to work as intended (rather than tricking the AI), they cannot see you throw it. This is never really made clear by the game.
If you are just going to throw Fernando over the balcony anyway, use the sedative on him rather than the wire, it counts as an accident that way
I am perplexed as to why Manuel didn't notice the RU-AP, in my experience the AI starts freaking out whenever they come within a mile of one that was not specifically placed with the "plant mine" command

Also, I'd like to amend my previous challenge issued for Murder of Crows: Collect thing 552, the Dragonov, and the briefcase while maintaining an SA rank; optionally, do not touch the red bird.

Is that challenge actually possible in one go?

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

Is that challenge actually possible in one go?

Yes. It is a challenge for a reason though. I've done it because I obsessively collect every gun in the level. The Kazo is the real sticker depending on how much the RNG hates you. I don't remember how many ICA cases there are in Professional, so it may be more difficult/impossible at that difficulty.

Emissary666 fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 2, 2018

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.

Emissary666 posted:

A few observations:

You're not wrong, but in this case, it didn't make much of a difference either way since the guy patrolling the cliffside doesn't even roam far enough toward the ramp to see Fernando's body. Definitely something that I'll need to pay attention to in later levels though.

Emissary666 posted:

I could not tell you why, besides maybe because it was on Normal difficulty? Or maybe because it was still lying on its side, making the game believe it was still floating in the air or something? I'm happy enough that it worked, if only for that stupid, horrible pun. :v:

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Sorry if the challenge wasn't challenging enough; I was trying to err on the side of too easy rather than too difficult. Feel free to amp them up as desired.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I forget, isn't it possible to poison Manuel's cocaine, too? That first "real" level actually has a decent number of approaches, and a surprisingly large amount of the area you don't actually need to interact with.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

PurpleXVI posted:

I forget, isn't it possible to poison Manuel's cocaine, too? That first "real" level actually has a decent number of approaches, and a surprisingly large amount of the area you don't actually need to interact with.

Yeah, I think you can syringe his stash to do as you please.

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.

CirclMastr posted:

Sorry if the challenge wasn't challenging enough; I was trying to err on the side of too easy rather than too difficult. Feel free to amp them up as desired.

It's quite alright! I take challenge to mean A) something that is intentionally difficult, or B) something that changes the way a level is played, and your first definitely falls under the latter category as I said in the video. Past that, I wasn't entirely sure if you were looking at all of your list to be done on Pro/SA, but any that I can manage to do so will definitely be done that way.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Oh, I got one!

“You Better Watch Out”: Dispose of all bodies through the broken hot tub.

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

I'm not sure how possible this challenge is, but: in Dance With The Devil, only wear the opposite costume to the floor you are on (ie: Angel in Hell, Devil in Heaven). I'd be very interested to know whether or not this is even viable for a non-psychopath run.
Also, get the Sushi Chef and/or Pianist ratings in A New Life; I don't know if either are necessarily unique to the level, but it is the easiest to get them on.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Non-level-specific challenge: Only use found weapons(i.e. none of your basic, upgradeable ones or the stuff you automatically bring with you on a mission like the mines or fiber wire), and get as "stealthy" as possible a result with it.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

PurpleXVI posted:

I think I've watched this level being played three times by three different people by now and I didn't know about the cocaine lab at all. I like watching skilled high-rank playthroughs of games but in this one, that usually does omit 75% of the entire thing I guess...

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.

Simply Simon posted:

I think I've watched this level being played three times by three different people by now and I didn't know about the cocaine lab at all. I like watching skilled high-rank playthroughs of games but in this one, that usually does omit 75% of the entire thing I guess...

That's the thing I think I like the most about the game. Sure, you're not likely to use all the space they give you on the map, but the space is there so that you can use it if you want to. There's tons of options for dealing with the game's obstacles, and it's just unfortunate that the tutorial is as on-rails as it possibly could be.

Quick update besides, I've edited in the list I've compiled so far of your guys' challenges in the OP. Let me know if I missed any so I can add them in! Also, also, add more :getin:

Pythonicus fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 3, 2018

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

One problem I have with the Hitman games is that they give a ton of freedom, but there's really only a handful of ways to get the highest rank as efficiently as possible. This leads to a level of complacency that ultimately limits your ability to fully appreciate all the other stuff. Then again, the fact that breaking cover usually results in every enemy in the level coming charging at you can discourage experimentation.

EDIT:
General Challenge: Complete a level with 100% accuracy and only headshots, shoot enough people that the newspaper reports number of shots fired and an analysis of your accuracy.
General Challenge: Pick out your favorite kit and go on a killing spree, no rank or difficulty requirements and no need to actually survive the level; after all these challenges you deserve a break.
A New Life: Do not take out the truck and don't be seen on camera, do not hurt the dog (tranqing it is fine however)
Amendment XXV:Kill a target while they are walking a dog

Emissary666 fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jun 5, 2018

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Emissary666 posted:

One problem I have with the Hitman games is that they give a ton of freedom, but there's really only a handful of ways to get the highest rank as efficiently as possible. This leads to a level of complacency that ultimately limits your ability to fully appreciate all the other stuff. Then again, the fact that breaking cover usually results in every enemy in the level coming charging at you can discourage experimentation.

Yeah, there's usually only one "optimal" route, so if you're doing your best to play well, you tend to get locked into doing the same things. Some of the later missions also have a very clear path of disguises and accidents you're meant to employ if you want to do things as stealthily as possible.

Admittedly usually a fun and somewhat hilarious path, but it limits replayability a bit.

From what I've seen, though, that's one thing the new, episodic Hitman does reasonably well. It seems to have a lot of variety in how you can tackle the same thing "optimally."

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.

PurpleXVI posted:

Yeah, there's usually only one "optimal" route, so if you're doing your best to play well, you tend to get locked into doing the same things. Some of the later missions also have a very clear path of disguises and accidents you're meant to employ if you want to do things as stealthily as possible.

Admittedly usually a fun and somewhat hilarious path, but it limits replayability a bit.

I would like to refute this by saying that if you try hard enough, you can pull virtually anything off in this game, but then in today's update I accidentally did more or less the same thing in both Normal and Professional videos. They're different enough to warrant not rerecording, and the challenge run I bundled with the update SHOULD make up for it regardless. I'll go back and finish out the challenges for Vintage Year soon enough, I'm just trying to bundle a challenge from the level with the level it's based in. So, don't worry if it seems like I'm passing over a challenge. All of them will be completed--or at least attempted--eventually.

Also, I'd like to preemptively apologize for the flub in the video in which I completely misread roman numerals (sorry Purple).

Curtains Down: War Reenactment/Procured on Site/No Bathroom Breaks (Chitoryu12/CirclMastr, Emissary666, PurpleXVI)

Pythonicus fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 6, 2018

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

I did specify the lobby bathroom so the changing rooms are not breaking that rule. They are, however, the number one reason for breaking my cover in this level, because I have accidentally barged into the women's room countless times.
Also, how the hell did you get away with that escape? I usually can't even get off of the stage without getting shot at and you somehow were allowed to just shoot Delahunt in almost plain sight.
EDIT: Also, another amendment to my Murder of Crows challenge, it is totally okay if you don't get Silent Assassin (because that level is a bit arbitrary in my experience), but you have to at least strive for it.

Emissary666 fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 6, 2018

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.

Emissary666 posted:

Also, how the hell did you get away with that escape? I usually can't even get off of the stage without getting shot at and you somehow were allowed to just shoot Delahunt in almost plain sight.

Once again, I don't really know. Maybe I completely busted the AI when my distraction failed, and when they found Delahunt's body, they just decided 'welp, don't know how that happened'. Or maybe, (and somehow more freakishly) behind the 'tension' music, the track for the rehearsal was playing and the bodyguards didn't actually hear the shot. I do know that the second run in a row of the rehearsal, before the actors retreat backstage, is incredibly truncated. Past those two possibilities? I have no clue, but I'm certainly happy it worked out. I attempted the challenge quite a few times trying to get things exactly right, nailing down the path, coming up with harebrained schemes to try for Silent Assassin (I.E. the bomb in the planter), etc. The game even crashed on me during one recording attempt, which is why I just kinda said screw it for the Silent Assassin run after a point.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

That was a pretty excellent run, especially the challenge one. I'm amazed you manage to do it that stealthily while getting both kills with the WWI pistol. I also enjoyed that you stole not only his costume, but also his moustache.

Out of curiosity, on levels with animals, like the rats here, would they count for the Sociopath rating, i.e. would you have to hunt down every single rat for it along with all the people?

Mind, this always feels like one of the harder missions for me to get a good stealth rating on. For some reason the guards tend to make a beeline for me after I detonate the bomb and drop the lights on Delahunt, almost no matter how well I'm hidden. It's a bit weird.

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

That was a pretty excellent run, especially the challenge one. I'm amazed you manage to do it that stealthily while getting both kills with the WWI pistol. I also enjoyed that you stole not only his costume, but also his moustache.

Out of curiosity, on levels with animals, like the rats here, would they count for the Sociopath rating, i.e. would you have to hunt down every single rat for it along with all the people?

Mind, this always feels like one of the harder missions for me to get a good stealth rating on. For some reason the guards tend to make a beeline for me after I detonate the bomb and drop the lights on Delahunt, almost no matter how well I'm hidden. It's a bit weird.

One of my biggest problems with Blood Money is how the guards seem to have some kind of insane psychic awareness of RU-AP mines and when you detonate them. In a House of Cards, I've been completely out of sight in some far off corner and still the guards come after me is I detonate a mine.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
Try to get Frenzied Firefighter, or Slugger - the latter is incredibly difficult, mind you.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I always liked dropping the chandelier on the ambassador when he trips under it, even if it almost always results in some guards getting hit too, just to add a little bit of slapstick to the play.

Pythonicus
Apr 1, 2011

I just wanted to say...
I love you.

Kibayasu posted:

I always liked dropping the chandelier on the ambassador when he trips under it, even if it almost always results in some guards getting hit too, just to add a little bit of slapstick to the play.

Remember, accidents don't count against you for kills! :hist101:

Today's update might be delayed a bit. My PC's been doing this HILARIOUSLY fun thing where it freezes whenever any amount of strain is put on it, which I've been fighting the last couple of weeks. I'll have the update up when I can, but it might not be today, is all.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I did something kinda like your kill on Delahunt yesterday in Hitman 2016. I was having trouble figuring out a way to get to Francesca in Sapienza (all of her bodyguards are Enforcers so they could see through my bodyguard disguise), so I just took my silenced pistol and shot her in the head through a glass door when her bodyguards weren't looking my way. Everyone freaked out and started looking around on the balconies for a hidden assassin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Pythonicus posted:

Remember, accidents don't count against you for kills! :hist101:

Today's update might be delayed a bit. My PC's been doing this HILARIOUSLY fun thing where it freezes whenever any amount of strain is put on it, which I've been fighting the last couple of weeks. I'll have the update up when I can, but it might not be today, is all.

Yeah but I'd know I did it. I may not be good at Hitman but I do enjoy the spirit of the perfect assassination.

• Locked thread