Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I wanted too, but it played for like a week and I never saw it after. It was like Upgrade which thankfully I caught before it left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Hotel Artemis is actually the first film so far I've movie passed that I legitimately wanted to get the gently caress out of so I could spend my time on anything else
But it is a sci fi movie which may be enough for some of y'all so my apologies for spoiler mishaps :lol:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/Lauzirika/status/1007244224285290496

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

He's an rear end in a top hat in a film full of assholes but the long and agonizing way in which the dude who plays Charlie in It's Always Sunny dies in the film Hotel Artemis stuck with me more than anything else in the movie
Ughhhhhhhhh 🤢

I looked this scene up but I'm a little confused, was something 3d printed onto his face?

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Egbert Souse posted:

The shot of Marv as a skeleton in Home Alone 2 terrified me as a kid and it's still unnerving.

Haha I can understand this but I gotta say that skeleton bit made me laugh harder than probably anything else in my entire life. I was like, 7, but still.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

artsy fartsy posted:

I looked this scene up but I'm a little confused, was something 3d printed onto his face?
theres this futuristic 3D printer with little jabby arm things that I guess do the printing. It's used earlier to print a gun.
He gets his head jammed in there and the arms just kinda poke his brain over and over. Like you can hear him groaning for a little while and it's clear it's a slow agonizing death, like icepicks just jabbing and stirring up his brain.
hosed up and out of nowhere imo

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

I've seen this scene over 100 times and never noticed it, I'm always watching the Nazi throw the melon on the ground angrily. That's funny and amazing.

67 and still making love
Oct 7, 2005

Peek
a
BLARGH

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I've seen this scene over 100 times and never noticed it, I'm always watching the Nazi throw the melon on the ground at the dog angrily. That's funny and amazing.

Hitler would be pissed.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Wait hold on he's throwing it at a dog? drat they packed a lot in there.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Punkin Spunkin posted:

theres this futuristic 3D printer with little jabby arm things that I guess do the printing. It's used earlier to print a gun.
He gets his head jammed in there and the arms just kinda poke his brain over and over. Like you can hear him groaning for a little while and it's clear it's a slow agonizing death, like icepicks just jabbing and stirring up his brain.
hosed up and out of nowhere imo

That's one of the more hosed up deaths I've heard of.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah uh :wtc: that's insanely hosed up for the kind of movie I thought Hotel Artemis was.

I wonder if they figured Charlie Day was kind of an Andy Dick-esque "unlikable rear end in a top hat" actor who people would want to see that happen to; it doesn't really make a ton of sense from any other perspective.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Honestly I think Punkin Spunkin is overselling it. I didn't think it was anything of note, but his character totally deserved it.
Like, all the violence in Hotel Artemis is brutal, but pretty fast and not really lingered upon.
Jeff Goldblum's death was far more brutal imo.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

In Book of Henry when Sheila visits Henry in the hospital. Sheila and Henry are bratty to each other and that scene implies it was some Moonlighting relationship all along. Then Sheila kisses Henry on the lips. Henry is 11 years-old.

In The Fast and the Furious I always found the Jesse arc to be pretty weird. His final fate in the film is a WTF moment but even the race in the middle, which he loses, comes out of nowhere. It's like it was jammed in the script.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I've seen this scene over 100 times and never noticed it, I'm always watching the Nazi throw the melon on the ground angrily. That's funny and amazing.

That's like me when I watched Terminator 2 and finally noticed that during the helicopter chase scene the T-1000 has an extra arm so it can pilot and reload its gun at the same time.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

exquisite tea posted:

I thought the twist was totally unnecessary and seemed like the script was rewritten around it for third act shock value. I'm trying to think of what would change if we knew from the beginning that Tully was some imagined manifestation of Charlize Theron's younger self and I can't think of anything that would have been less impactful. When a plot twist doesn't alter your understanding of the story or characters in any meaningful way you kind of have to wonder why it's even there. They could have played it 100% straight and it would have been the same drat story minus another overwrought accident scene.

Diablo Cody sucks rear end news at eleven

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Wandle Cax posted:

Sadly? what tf you have against Mariah

People who haven't seen You Don't Mess With the Zohan just don't understand the genius of Mariah Carey. Do you know she has 18 #1 singles? Seriously, 18. *sighs and shakes head slowly while putting on headphones blasting Mariah Carey tunes*

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

One thing that's always seemed weird to me about the first Ant-Man is the use of Baskin Robbins in the beginning. Product placement is one thing, but I can't imagine why the company signed off on it considering it does not do them any favors. Scott's treatment makes the company seem like a bunch of assholes with zero compassion.

It's an interesting contrast to the first Iron Man movie, where the US Air Force had them rewrite and refilm a big chunk of the second act because they didn't want to be known as the guys responsible for shooting Iron Man out of the sky and giving him physical and emotional damage.

But Baskin Robbins is all, "A zero-tolerance policy against ex-cons, even if we agree with their actions? AND we get to drive them back into a life of crime despite their reluctance? Score!"

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
If we're going to talk about whole movies that are WTF moments, look no further than Surfer© Teen Confronts Fear.

I did not mistype by the way: the movie title includes a copyright notice for Surfer.

Like a most/all christian vanity projects, this movie came out very very WTF:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r03nDeTc1iM

Friendship stroung enough?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I must see that film. It's very Breen.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

CelticPredator posted:

I must see that film. It's very Breen.

Oh god a Dischord I go to watched one of Breen movies the other day. It ended with him being a AI from the future who teleported and killed all rich and bad people from the planet, leaving them bodies in a desert with poorly copy/paste of the same four people over a mile.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Gavok posted:

One thing that's always seemed weird to me about the first Ant-Man is the use of Baskin Robbins in the beginning. Product placement is one thing, but I can't imagine why the company signed off on it considering it does not do them any favors. Scott's treatment makes the company seem like a bunch of assholes with zero compassion.

It's an interesting contrast to the first Iron Man movie, where the US Air Force had them rewrite and refilm a big chunk of the second act because they didn't want to be known as the guys responsible for shooting Iron Man out of the sky and giving him physical and emotional damage.

But Baskin Robbins is all, "A zero-tolerance policy against ex-cons, even if we agree with their actions? AND we get to drive them back into a life of crime despite their reluctance? Score!"

They probably told the Baskin Robbins folks the store manager would be played by film's number 1 buff (and master of codes) Gregg Turkington

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
The masses of humanity have always had to Surfer©

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

InfiniteZero posted:

If we're going to talk about whole movies that are WTF moments, look no further than Surfer© Teen Confronts Fear.

I did not mistype by the way: the movie title includes a copyright notice for Surfer.

Like a most/all christian vanity projects, this movie came out very very WTF:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r03nDeTc1iM

Friendship stroung enough?

If English wasn't the director's second language, then surely it was the editor's.

The subtitle comes across as kind of Japanese. Surfer No Getsu: Large Young Man Strongly Facing Trauma

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
the director is a professor of physics at usc

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The Limehouse Golem is kind of a weirdly shot Victorian murder thriller, that takes an incredibly bizarre detour in the middle.

Bill Nighy is a Victorian detective trying to track down a serial killer, and the only clue he has is what appears to be the Golem's diary, scrawled in the margins of a library book. He tracks down everybody who was in the library on a certain day, and gets them to write down sections of the diary as he dictates them, to compare their handwriting.

This is mostly an excuse for some very stylised flashbacks, where we see the suspect, as the Golem, enacting grisly murders, with all sorts of dramatic lighting and distortion effects, and the narration shifts to the suspect dubbed over with a strange demonic voice. It's obnoxiously modern and flashy for what's supposed to be a period piece, but it's creepy enough.

It's all fairly normal, until Billy Nighy goes to interrogate Karl Marx, and we're treated to an extended sequence of Karl Marx decapitating a prostitute before Bill Nighy snaps "well this is absurd" and Karl Marx is never seen or mentioned again.

It's a very odd film.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
In the 1989 movie The Wizard, a trio of runaway kids is about to get caught by a guy trying to return them to their parents, the girl in the group prevents this by screaming in a public place and hollering "he touched my breast!" The innocent man is kicked off the property by security.

Later, this same man is stopped in traffic by a group of truckers, friends of the young female character. The truckers approach him menacingly, one of them says, "So, you touched her breast, eh?" And punches the innocent man in the face.

This is all supposed to be hilarious and fun!

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The Limehouse Golem is kind of a weirdly shot Victorian murder thriller, that takes an incredibly bizarre detour in the middle.

Bill Nighy is a Victorian detective trying to track down a serial killer, and the only clue he has is what appears to be the Golem's diary, scrawled in the margins of a library book. He tracks down everybody who was in the library on a certain day, and gets them to write down sections of the diary as he dictates them, to compare their handwriting.

This is mostly an excuse for some very stylised flashbacks, where we see the suspect, as the Golem, enacting grisly murders, with all sorts of dramatic lighting and distortion effects, and the narration shifts to the suspect dubbed over with a strange demonic voice. It's obnoxiously modern and flashy for what's supposed to be a period piece, but it's creepy enough.

It's all fairly normal, until Billy Nighy goes to interrogate Karl Marx, and we're treated to an extended sequence of Karl Marx decapitating a prostitute before Bill Nighy snaps "well this is absurd" and Karl Marx is never seen or mentioned again.

It's a very odd film.

I guess I know what I’m watching today.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Hand Knit posted:

I guess I know what I’m watching today.

Yeah, that description absolutely made me put that on my watch list.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

lizardman posted:

In the 1989 movie The Wizard, a trio of runaway kids is about to get caught by a guy trying to return them to their parents, the girl in the group prevents this by screaming in a public place and hollering "he touched my breast!" The innocent man is kicked off the property by security.

Later, this same man is stopped in traffic by a group of truckers, friends of the young female character. The truckers approach him menacingly, one of them says, "So, you touched her breast, eh?" And punches the innocent man in the face.

I mean it would be a lot more disturbing if they were just like “meh boys will be boys”

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, that description absolutely made me put that on my watch list.

The scene exceeds expectations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

lizardman posted:

Even though he was innocent of her claims, at least the movie went out of its way to show him as a dirtbag who deserved to be messed with. He greedily slashed the tires of the boys' father just so he could get the credit for bringing the kids in.

The most WTF part in that movie was a pool scene that had an old man in a powder blue speedo just standing prominently in the background for an extended amount of time. It was weird.

The existence of tween cigarette girls in that movie's universe was also pretty out there.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Yeah I'll be honest, the last time I saw The Wizard was probably more than 15 years ago.

Basically the entire plot of the movie feels like it was written by kids doing their damndest to make a serious movie about themselves and their wish fulfillment.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

lizardman posted:

Yeah I'll be honest, the last time I saw The Wizard was probably more than 15 years ago.

Basically the entire plot of the movie feels like it was written by kids doing their damndest to make a serious movie about themselves and their wish fulfillment.

It's so bad.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The lesson to be learned from The Wizard is the same to be learned from any live action children's movie from the eighties: we were all lucky to make it out of the decade alive.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

RBA Starblade posted:

It's so bad.

I, too, love my Power Glove.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

Glad to be of assistance!

Also the guy who plays the junior police officer has a wonderful period-drama face, and now I want him to star in a Dishonored movie.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Gavok posted:

Whenever I see a FedEx logo, there's a 50% chance I will think “I wonder what their marketing department thought of Castaway. Kind of a mixed bag product placement wise there.”

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

AceOfFlames posted:

Whenever I see a FedEx logo, there's a 50% chance I will think “I wonder what their marketing department thought of Castaway. Kind of a mixed bag product placement wise there.”

Was it? FedEx doesn't build planes, so that part seems fine. Really, the lesson seems to be, "FedEx: our employees care so much about your package that they'll protect it unscathed on a desert island for 5 years, as a symbolic tether to hope, that they personally hand-deliver once rescued."

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Hand Knit posted:

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Glad to be of assistance!

Also the guy who plays the junior police officer has a wonderful period-drama face, and now I want him to star in a Dishonored movie.

Yeah, this ruled. Good movie, great scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, this ruled. Good movie, great scene.

Apparently my mom has a few George Gissing books. My goal is now to get her to watch the movie.