Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I enjoy blender. I like to "use" blender. loving and coming inside your pc is so 2017 so use this year to give yourself a bit of creativity boost.

So wahts simple?

https://www.blender.org/download/

downloading it.

download it

its good

once youve done that.. we will start to learn a thing or two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
now honestly I don't think I'm actually going to do a better job than the actual documents but I wanna talk a bit about them

https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/dev/interface/index.html

the reason why people dont like blender is because almost by nature all 3d software is going to be complicated. all 3d software achieves the necessary goals in a number of fashions, and blenders is particularly customisable and very powerful and quick to use... ONCE you know what the gently caress you are doing.

this gives it a steep learning curve

but lets think about the different factors in creating a 3d scene.

the most obvious one is the models. the main screen lets you look at models. down the bottom you will see something that says "object mode".. this is opposed to things like "paint mode" (for painting textures) "edit mode" (for editing individual faces, points etc) "sculpt mode" (for 3d sculpting) and a couple others I dont use. object mode is the normal mode youll use for moving poo poo around, resisizng etc

lightings - renders need lighting. now the most simple way of lighting is to add lights into your scene. you can also have environment lights but they are controlled differently. to start, add a point light. it gives off light

materials - materials are obviously very important, but the nice thing here is that you dont have to worry about materials at the start because things have default materials

the outliner - now this thing is like the directory contents or whatever. this is important because it shows you what exists and lets youj turn it on and off in the render

and rendering. probably the most important part. there is a secton of the main screen that has many functions. this window probably trips a lot of people up, because some of it is totally dependent on what obect yo have select and some isnt at all. there is a tab section of that top of it

the left most icon is the one that you can render from. looks like a camera
the other important ones for starting out and having fun is the one thats a circle, that lets you do materials
and the spanner coz adding object modifiers is a fun way to interact with poo poo and get interesting things from day one.
the checkered panel is textures but thats a bit of a nightmare to be honest

i wont lie the way blender deals with "data" is a bit of a mess. if you create a material, its associated with the object you create it on. if you delete the object the material disappears. you can make it so it exists independent of the object but you have to do that on purpse. this hosed me up a lot of times but now I know how it works and its good but needed to know in the first place

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
f anyone is actually interested in all, install it, gently caress around for a moment and then when you want to achieve something and you cant do it, ask me and we will find a way. (rather than me spend ages talking about poo poo no one is interested in)

post your blender creations itt

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer
big echi render fan here,

sure anyone can make two shreks connected by the dong in a tpose with some fancy lighting but do you have any suggested resources for getting started doing animations or simulations?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
im in

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

i made a motherfucking chair

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
thanks echi

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i'm downloading blender right now

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

hmm... yeah, i'm gonna have to spend some time with this before I can figure out what's goin on

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i can't art, op

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i just have a food processor

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
i rendered a motherfucking cup

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
i am imagining deciding to learn a bit of blender

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I;m thinking about thos Blends

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

very nice

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

poo poo yes

a) nice loving cup

b) howd you put that text on it ???

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://hdrihaven.com/

quick way to make poo poo look nice and real is use image based lighting, and you use proper hdri images to do this

loading them into blender to use as environment lighting isnt hard but hard to describe how to do

but that pic kinda shows you what tab to open to access the environment texture and what settings to use

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Anal Del Raytheon posted:

i rendered a motherfucking cup

seriously thats a nicely modelled cup. regardless of anything I do know in blender what I lack is actual modelling skill so good work man I couldnt do that poo poo

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

echinopsis posted:

poo poo yes

a) nice loving cup

b) howd you put that text on it ???

thanks

https://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/6226/whats-the-simplest-way-to-wrap-extruded-text-around-a-cylinder

echinopsis posted:

seriously thats a nicely modelled cup. regardless of anything I do know in blender what I lack is actual modelling skill so good work man I couldnt do that poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y__uzGKmxt8

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the next cool thing to learn is the node editor for materials.

the "hardest" part about this is getting into the node editor. youll notice down the bottom left hand corner of the window is a wee icon that looks like a 3d cube. thats indicating that you that window is in the 3d editor window. you can turn that window into any function in blender, and if you click it you can change it to the node editor

right down the bottom you see those two sets of three icons?

the first one determines if you are node editing material or something or texture

and the second set determines if youre editing whatever on an object, the environment or something

so the two options slected in that pic is the ones for when you want to edit a material

select "add - shader" to add the basic shader types
and one of those choices is "mix shader" and you use that to create more complcaited materials

for example, mix "glossy" and "transparent" and make it half see thru, and then put a "volume absorbtion" and route it into volume rather than surface to make items in the render world that have internal volume effects like coloured glass or liquids or whatever

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

smart brain man

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
i only use 3ds for dos 4.0, last version = best version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72HjLrSzgRU

here's 3.0

then i used povray and moray

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wih7N9fPXBs

gently caress yeah

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Incomplete Fish posted:

big echi render fan here,

sure anyone can make two shreks connected by the dong in a tpose with some fancy lighting but do you have any suggested resources for getting started doing animations or simulations?

Incomplete Fish fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 28, 2018

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Sick models. Looking forward to the yospos battle royale game where you can choose between playing as a chair or a cup.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

gently caress yes.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

shrek 2 shrek. nice.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I use fusion 360 op

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i wish a knew a little bit of blender
i wish i was slender
i wish i had a girl who looked good, i would friend her
i wish i had a rabbit in a hat with a bat
and a six four render

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

i wish a knew a little bit of blender
i wish i was slender
i wish i had a girl who looked good, i would friend her
i wish i had a rabbit in a hat with a bat
and a six four render

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer

real proud of this one boys heres a link in case u want that desktop wallpaper

Incomplete Fish fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 28, 2018

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Laserjet 4P posted:

i only use 3ds for dos 4.0, last version = best version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72HjLrSzgRU

here's 3.0

then i used povray and moray

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wih7N9fPXBs

gently caress yeah

povray is short for poverty raytracer

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

i think what we need to learn here is rigging

something I know sweet gently caress all about

I could help yo animate him spinning or squashing

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

blender is alright

i dont know how to use the node editor but i try to rig and animate stuff

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
how does the node editor confuse someone

getting in and out of it maybe

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

this took way too loving long

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Anal Del Raytheon posted:

this took way too loving long

Make it point at a coffee mug that says "Juff Blezos you've got a funny clown name"

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol

• Locked thread