Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
animist
Aug 28, 2018

Roosevelt posted:

looks good m8

the secret is cycles + filmic color space + principled BSDF shader, it makes anything look good

blender guru on youtube has videos on some of these things which are useful if you ignore his plugs for his $200 rock packs or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

animist posted:

hey look, lovely caustics

https://i.imgur.com/ZNqhiqP.mp4

e: link fix

this is the kind of poo poo I live for

what are you using for lighting?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
tfw youve totally run out of tricks

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

echinopsis posted:

tfw youve totally run out of tricks

thats pretty much my first thought every morning, though

assuming I'm lucky enough to be able to think before noon :coolspot:

animist
Aug 28, 2018

echinopsis posted:

this is the kind of poo poo I live for

what are you using for lighting?

cycles + filmic color space with a big ol' sun lamp, like brightness 10

filmic can handle really big brightness ranges so i like to crank them up

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

animist posted:

hey look, lovely caustics

https://i.imgur.com/ZNqhiqP.mp4

e: link fix

Q*bert remake looking good!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
@#$!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Schadenboner posted:

Q*bert remake looking good!

Qbert 3D.... 2

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cool

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

the wet stone looks real good imo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress the lomarf car invest in the rodrally car

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have a hankering to make a kind of isometric rally game a bit like skid marks on the amiga

i mean, make it to a basic level and give up on it. got the car.

the more I think abuot how to apply the physics the more I realise I won’t get very far at all lol. but gonna boot up ue4 regardless lmao

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
aah skidmark

i remember playing it with a friend with two Amiga linked with a super crappy null modem cable i had soldered myself

the netcode was sending relative movements instead of positions and since it would lose a bunch of data and there wasn't any proper communication protocol the other player always ended up completely out of sync

me, at the finish line: what the hell are you doing
friend: no what are YOU doing I crossed the finish line ages ago

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my god sometimes I forget what a fuckin hassle using ue4 is

I mean I get on with that program quite well, once you get over the initial insane bullshit. can't help but feel like it's because it's set up as if it's the first time youve ever made a game, every time. probably not a big deal except I start from fresh so often when I do use it lol

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

echi si your boy a forward, becasue if not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbYAyalgjsE

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
well too young to have real roles but played as a forward last season, but gonna play soccer next year 🤷‍♂️

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/rodtronics/status/1039752710210367494

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
ok so im not an expert on car physics and my knowledge of physics simulation is pretty superficial but basically when an object is moving it experiences both a linear force and a moment of rotation (aka torque), which is basically a rotational force applied at its center of mass

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque

the wheels apply linear forces onto the car which result in creating a moment of rotation on the car itself depending on the orientation of the wheels

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

friction allows the steering action (rubber on pavement), the effect of steering on associated objects (the car, stuff inside it) is centripetal force, which will "push" them on a line perpendicular to the line between the car and the center of the curve

here is an page that gives digestible details http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/cf.html

Taffer fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 13, 2018

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hmm ok. will study this

problem is do i work *with* the physics in ue4, or override them completely. because i cant make a tire as such, have it spin and work, the real time isn’t that accurate. so i need to manually do things like check if the tire is touching and only apply force at that point . so far also pushing the car at the front side to side isn’t twisting the car 🤔 and i also have no idea how to apply brakes. lmao

fun challenge tho. just wanna make a cheesy top down racer that incorporates drifting somehow

game idea is : you have to beat your own time on a track 5 or 10 times to get to next level

or 20 times to get achievement etc

beating your own time is the best. gran turismo 2 got rid of individual track times per track (probably coz bigger save games already) and i really missed trying to beat my own best times

when you beat yourself .. you win

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

would unity make more sense for what you're making? there are vehicle packages and all that that you can use as a starting point

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

echi dont write the physics engine

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > YOSPOS > imagine if you decided to learn a bit of unity

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > YOSPOS > echi dont write the physics engine

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Taffer posted:

would unity make more sense for what you're making? there are vehicle packages and all that that you can use as a starting point

what the gently caress man???

i can’t code at all in c++ game engines

ue4 lets me do everything with pin dragging and nodes. there isn’t a single line of code i wrote in the entirety of rodrocket

Skim Milk posted:

echi dont write the physics engine

lol

maintaining velocity and updating position every frame is easy. got force? add to velocity

regardless i’m going to have to be doing poo poo like applying counteracting forces per frame to get poo poo to handle like i want. it’s cool. the end result will be poo poo but also unique

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

just change the heading dont add extra force

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hmm yes but

a] does that allow for drifting? or at least oversteer (proper drifting prolly too hard to control)

b] rotating the body won’t change the heading, so basically rotate the velocity. guess that would work but will drive like on tracks

im mostly pleased because this has brought up so many more issues that I could have imagined. it’s good

on gran turismo they had this circle of friction. so you could push force into the tires forward and backward, and while you stayed in the circle (imagine an x,y axis with y being force and x being steering) you had friction. you can steer left or right, up to a certain amount, without losing friction, if you stayed in the circle. combine forward acceleration and steering and it’s far easier to get out of the circle and lose traction

the nature of what i am doing kinda involves me modifying friction on the tires depending on what they are doing. like manually finding out force at point of contact and modifying friction. but without actually having a spinning wheel and essentially sliding a mesh across the ground and faking friction by applying opposing forces when called for

a real mess. lmao. shame also won’t get chance to work on it till sat

but nice to have a project and reminds me how much fun ue4 is

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
and i guess like a car sliding sideways, locked wheels have lower friction, but sideways sliding without locked wheels sort of looks like slowly turning wheels as far as friction goes? or maybe effect so small doesn’t matter. regardless no wonder racing games are a thing

prolly easier to recreate lotus 2 turbo than skid marks

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You may want to consult the gamedev thread

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
well yeah that would be a good idea but that’s barely the rodtronics spirit

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

how true to nature are the physics? I mean if you put in friction of the surface and wheel, mass and all the rest of it, it should be as easy as turning the wheel.

when you write your reply keep in mind i've never even looked at game engines

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
somehow i doubt the physics simulation models the deformation of the rubber as the tire goes around a corner, so you're definitely going to have to fake the forces involved instead of just relying on the physics simulation

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
can you make a bong with realistic bong water and weed smoke

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

could you kick up the 4d3d3d3?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
just posting to say thanks for this thread echi, it is good, just starting from page 1 but when i catch up i will post some extremely rendered pictures or animations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you’re very welcome i hope to see some extremely rendered images and or animations in my future

Boiled Water posted:

how true to nature are the physics? I mean if you put in friction of the surface and wheel, mass and all the rest of it, it should be as easy as turning the wheel.

when you write your reply keep in mind i've never even looked at game engines

well a while ago i made this https://youtu.be/mKCP08e44b4 and i did that there by just adding a rotational force to the balls which acted like wheels

but at any kind of speed it became extremely unstable, perhaps that’s what real life suspension does idk i suppose it exists for a reason: plus by being feel wheeling spheres i avoided a lot of these other issues i’ve been mentioning

in fact in that one to turn the vehicle i would apply rotate the front wheels left while back ones right to turn left, but i realised that this made the vehicle turn but not change direction so even then i had to work out a way to apply an opposing force to make it actually go around corners lmao

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
omg i forgot about rodrover and now im way more pumped for rodhotrod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

meanwhile in the game dev thread:

asmasm posted:

I launched my store page today and made this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X0lCnMW9xI