Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"
I've also gone into trying to learn Blender, using the tutorial channel linked earlier and managed to make a few things:

An attempt trying to follow the creation steps by memory right afterward:

Also tried to get some fluid in a cup without any specific instructions, more or less managed it after an hour:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Lord Justice posted:

I've also gone into trying to learn Blender, using the tutorial channel linked earlier and managed to make a few things:

Also tried to get some fluid in a cup without any specific instructions, more or less managed it after an hour:

hell yeah. im going to mess around with it more when I have some time this weekend

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

flakeloaf posted:

looked for blender, found docker

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I am 100% on board with this thread when I get back home

i used to spend hours loving around with trial versions of truespace and pirated 3dsmax back in like 2000

I remember doing 3d renders of a desk I was making for a woodwork project and the teacher was like "you did this.... On a computer..... :wth:"

lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Justice posted:

sweet my dude

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
this my friends

is quite stupid lol

https://i.imgur.com/iGyqNZj.mp4

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
is blender decent out of the box now or does it still require a poo poo-ton of work to get it configured correctly.

last time i touched it was like sometime in 2005

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it is significantly better now. still a good learning curve, and some UI
choices are average, although some
are very good indeed

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
from a new install i make a couple configuration changes

colour scheme
turn on antialiasing in view por
those the main ones I think

you can set up “spaces” so the UI is different for different tasks and i don’t care for the built in ones so i also change those but i used it for years before discovering the point of that

pram
Jun 10, 2001

echinopsis posted:

this my friends

is quite stupid lol

https://i.imgur.com/iGyqNZj.mp4

p sick

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

the truespace demo was limited to idk 30 minutes of usage per session and I didn't know how to override it so I got really loving good at modelling that one desk in 30 minutes

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

just use blender

it’s actually good

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pram posted:

p sick

as in, it looks like it was rendered by a man who is sick in the head

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

i forgot that I downloaded blender a long time ago but i just updated it

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
this thread owns

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST
hey i downloaded blender and i tried to make some stuff but then i got distracted and drew a picture of ray from achewood instead here it is

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
nice

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

thank you for not going full handre in the groinal area

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST

ok now i got a question

how do i made all these vertices level, specifically matching the Z position of the one indicated by the red arrow?

also, how do I add a new vertice along the edge indicated by the blue arrow?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
this guy's tutorials are the best. he uses a somewhat current version and doesn't go insane with the shortcuts

also the first thing I did was change select to LMB instead of RMB

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

echinopsis posted:

the next cool thing to learn is the node editor for materials.

the "hardest" part about this is getting into the node editor. youll notice down the bottom left hand corner of the window is a wee icon that looks like a 3d cube. thats indicating that you that window is in the 3d editor window. you can turn that window into any function in blender, and if you click it you can change it to the node editor

there's also a decently capable video editor buried in there if you're into that

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

maxe posted:

ok now i got a question

how do i made all these vertices level, specifically matching the Z position of the one indicated by the red arrow?

also, how do I add a new vertice along the edge indicated by the blue arrow?

hmm hitting space in blender gives you a universal search but i believe content based so can only offer what you can do so hit space and type align?? i would try that. or hit ctrl-v to bring up the vertices menu (without edit)

now vertices... hmm if you had two
vertices selected that are joined, hit ctrl e for the edges menu and hit “subdivide” that’ll work but maybe more efficient way i bet

hope that works it’s all from memory haven’t
checked if i told ya the right things

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

heated game moment fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jun 2, 2018

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

holy wh0a! is this real???

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
holy fuckin' poo poo mate you're kicking all kinds of rear end. real skill. doing poo poo I can't do for sure

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

obstipator posted:

holy wh0a! is this real???

its wine o'clock!! #wine #moms #winemoms #winetime #winoceros

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
are you following tutorials?

I could probably learn a lot by doing so.. I have 0 (zero) patience for watching youtube tutorials because people speak so slowly, and no one seems to make written tutorials

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I want to learn how to write a colour shader.. I want to create a blackbody colour shader.

blender (or cycles) has one built in, but it only reproduces colour and not power.. the one in ue4 produces power too.. because as you increase the temperature you dont just change the colour but the output, and we're creating light in a true full dynamic range fashion where poo poo blows out etc.. so I am mega disappoint with the built in one but now I need to learn how to write something, and frankly I think if I could learn python/blender I could create even more specific trash :smug:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
once I had a screen sharing seshion with this dude http://admiralpotato.tumblr.com/ he was friendly and insisted his real name is admiral potato and I learnt things from him which was a bit like a tutorial

in fact him teaching me about one of the functions in the node editor is what spurred me onto making the rainbow

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

echinopsis posted:

I could probably learn a lot by doing so.. I have 0 (zero) patience for watching youtube tutorials because people speak so slowly, and no one seems to make written tutorials

yeah the tutor4u ones are good and he speaks clearly and is generally easy to follow and doesnt take forever to explain poo poo.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

echinopsis posted:

lol

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
i haven't touched blender in ages. been meaning to pick it up again so I can make some of my own kerbal space program parts

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

no joke I contributed some weapon models to an ~open source~ mmorpg project that fizzled. also composed some final fantasy esque mod tracks for it. I've lost everything

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

imageine if I had kept up with that, where would I be today... :thunk:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Silver Alicorn posted:

imageine if I had kept up with that, where would I be today... :thunk:

you’d be making cool yospos models for free

pram
Jun 10, 2001