Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I enjoy blender. I like to "use" blender. loving and coming inside your pc is so 2017 so use this year to give yourself a bit of creativity boost.

So wahts simple?

https://www.blender.org/download/

downloading it.

download it

its good

once youve done that.. we will start to learn a thing or two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
now honestly I don't think I'm actually going to do a better job than the actual documents but I wanna talk a bit about them

https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/dev/interface/index.html

the reason why people dont like blender is because almost by nature all 3d software is going to be complicated. all 3d software achieves the necessary goals in a number of fashions, and blenders is particularly customisable and very powerful and quick to use... ONCE you know what the gently caress you are doing.

this gives it a steep learning curve

but lets think about the different factors in creating a 3d scene.

the most obvious one is the models. the main screen lets you look at models. down the bottom you will see something that says "object mode".. this is opposed to things like "paint mode" (for painting textures) "edit mode" (for editing individual faces, points etc) "sculpt mode" (for 3d sculpting) and a couple others I dont use. object mode is the normal mode youll use for moving poo poo around, resisizng etc

lightings - renders need lighting. now the most simple way of lighting is to add lights into your scene. you can also have environment lights but they are controlled differently. to start, add a point light. it gives off light

materials - materials are obviously very important, but the nice thing here is that you dont have to worry about materials at the start because things have default materials

the outliner - now this thing is like the directory contents or whatever. this is important because it shows you what exists and lets youj turn it on and off in the render

and rendering. probably the most important part. there is a secton of the main screen that has many functions. this window probably trips a lot of people up, because some of it is totally dependent on what obect yo have select and some isnt at all. there is a tab section of that top of it

the left most icon is the one that you can render from. looks like a camera
the other important ones for starting out and having fun is the one thats a circle, that lets you do materials
and the spanner coz adding object modifiers is a fun way to interact with poo poo and get interesting things from day one.
the checkered panel is textures but thats a bit of a nightmare to be honest

i wont lie the way blender deals with "data" is a bit of a mess. if you create a material, its associated with the object you create it on. if you delete the object the material disappears. you can make it so it exists independent of the object but you have to do that on purpse. this hosed me up a lot of times but now I know how it works and its good but needed to know in the first place

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
f anyone is actually interested in all, install it, gently caress around for a moment and then when you want to achieve something and you cant do it, ask me and we will find a way. (rather than me spend ages talking about poo poo no one is interested in)

post your blender creations itt

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

poo poo yes

a) nice loving cup

b) howd you put that text on it ???

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://hdrihaven.com/

quick way to make poo poo look nice and real is use image based lighting, and you use proper hdri images to do this

loading them into blender to use as environment lighting isnt hard but hard to describe how to do

but that pic kinda shows you what tab to open to access the environment texture and what settings to use

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Anal Del Raytheon posted:

i rendered a motherfucking cup

seriously thats a nicely modelled cup. regardless of anything I do know in blender what I lack is actual modelling skill so good work man I couldnt do that poo poo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the next cool thing to learn is the node editor for materials.

the "hardest" part about this is getting into the node editor. youll notice down the bottom left hand corner of the window is a wee icon that looks like a 3d cube. thats indicating that you that window is in the 3d editor window. you can turn that window into any function in blender, and if you click it you can change it to the node editor

right down the bottom you see those two sets of three icons?

the first one determines if you are node editing material or something or texture

and the second set determines if youre editing whatever on an object, the environment or something

so the two options slected in that pic is the ones for when you want to edit a material

select "add - shader" to add the basic shader types
and one of those choices is "mix shader" and you use that to create more complcaited materials

for example, mix "glossy" and "transparent" and make it half see thru, and then put a "volume absorbtion" and route it into volume rather than surface to make items in the render world that have internal volume effects like coloured glass or liquids or whatever

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

smart brain man

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Laserjet 4P posted:

i only use 3ds for dos 4.0, last version = best version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72HjLrSzgRU

here's 3.0

then i used povray and moray

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wih7N9fPXBs

gently caress yeah

povray is short for poverty raytracer

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

i think what we need to learn here is rigging

something I know sweet gently caress all about

I could help yo animate him spinning or squashing

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
how does the node editor confuse someone

getting in and out of it maybe

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

this took way too loving long

this is very good

its high time you looked at filmic blender which is now built in

https://www.blender3darchitect.com/blender-3d/blender-2-79-new-features-filmic/

its basically exposure control and will go a long way toward making poo poo look even better

your modelling skills are top notch. good work

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/1UuFHdb.mp4

i dont really even like how it turned out, but the fluid simulation took like a day and the render like a day and a half, so you have to see it whther you like it or not

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 28, 2018

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
on my end it didn’t even upload
properly from what i can tell

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
click the link and be underwhelmed

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

that's pretty cool. im rendering stuff right now and it makes me wish i had a faster compy even though the most strenuous thing i use it for is diablo 3. (I still have a 6700K with 16gb of ram and a 1070)

yo should be able to use gpu rendering?

cycles is a nice renderer but you can crank the samples and make it slow. I choose square samples and do 15-20 for quick poo poo, 20-30 for animations and 40-50 for high quality stills

light paths I choose full global illumination I don’t reckon lowering it makes much difference to speed compared to lower samples
I don’t bother with branched either, struggle to get it working well

sad there is no bidirectional, luxrender did that and I miss it for deeceent caustics and volume effects but oh well cycles offers some nice unrealistic features too which luxrender didn’t and the integration is hard to go past

but gpu vs cpu is no competition. my r9-270 can’t do it at all :(

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 28, 2018

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Salt Fish posted:

I don't get why you don't have a job doing this professionally. Like the dude that made that gun with all the parts inside and everything; isn't that at least at the level that you could work for a game studio? I mean maybe you've got a better job already but whats the bar for portfolio worthy models?

gently caress I WISH I could

reality is graphic design is a flakey industry where they expect people to work for peanuts coz is doing something you love. that’s the vibe I get from the CG thread anyway

George posted:

it's not a whole drat day of rendering good but it's good echi and you should be proud of it

the resolution of the fluid simulation becomes really apparent in that vid where it doesn’t in others so it kinda sucks

need to get some rainbows in there

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

how did you bring this to gif?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

my piss is thick and viscous

sick

lol

how are you makin the video? i’m curious it’s likely better than my method

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
poo poo. didn’t know ya could. i make an image sequence and use ffmpeg to encode at a lossless rate

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I am 100% on board with this thread when I get back home

i used to spend hours loving around with trial versions of truespace and pirated 3dsmax back in like 2000

I remember doing 3d renders of a desk I was making for a woodwork project and the teacher was like "you did this.... On a computer..... :wth:"

lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Justice posted:

I've also gone into trying to learn Blender, using the tutorial channel linked earlier and managed to make a few things:

An attempt trying to follow the creation steps by memory right afterward:

Also tried to get some fluid in a cup without any specific instructions, more or less managed it after an hour:

sweet my dude

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
this my friends

is quite stupid lol

https://i.imgur.com/iGyqNZj.mp4

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it is significantly better now. still a good learning curve, and some UI
choices are average, although some
are very good indeed

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
from a new install i make a couple configuration changes

colour scheme
turn on antialiasing in view por
those the main ones I think

you can set up “spaces” so the UI is different for different tasks and i don’t care for the built in ones so i also change those but i used it for years before discovering the point of that

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

just use blender

it’s actually good

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pram posted:

p sick

as in, it looks like it was rendered by a man who is sick in the head

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

maxe posted:

ok now i got a question

how do i made all these vertices level, specifically matching the Z position of the one indicated by the red arrow?

also, how do I add a new vertice along the edge indicated by the blue arrow?

hmm hitting space in blender gives you a universal search but i believe content based so can only offer what you can do so hit space and type align?? i would try that. or hit ctrl-v to bring up the vertices menu (without edit)

now vertices... hmm if you had two
vertices selected that are joined, hit ctrl e for the edges menu and hit “subdivide” that’ll work but maybe more efficient way i bet

hope that works it’s all from memory haven’t
checked if i told ya the right things

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
holy fuckin' poo poo mate you're kicking all kinds of rear end. real skill. doing poo poo I can't do for sure

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
are you following tutorials?

I could probably learn a lot by doing so.. I have 0 (zero) patience for watching youtube tutorials because people speak so slowly, and no one seems to make written tutorials

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I want to learn how to write a colour shader.. I want to create a blackbody colour shader.

blender (or cycles) has one built in, but it only reproduces colour and not power.. the one in ue4 produces power too.. because as you increase the temperature you dont just change the colour but the output, and we're creating light in a true full dynamic range fashion where poo poo blows out etc.. so I am mega disappoint with the built in one but now I need to learn how to write something, and frankly I think if I could learn python/blender I could create even more specific trash :smug:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
once I had a screen sharing seshion with this dude http://admiralpotato.tumblr.com/ he was friendly and insisted his real name is admiral potato and I learnt things from him which was a bit like a tutorial

in fact him teaching me about one of the functions in the node editor is what spurred me onto making the rainbow

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

you’d be making cool yospos models for free

this is the dream

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

yeah the tutor4u ones are good and he speaks clearly and is generally easy to follow and doesnt take forever to explain poo poo.

interesting

I guess end of the day, blender is a very versatile program, like a suite that isnt just 3d modelling, the image processing node section can be pretty powerful. I want to code a new glare function, or one that combines the current one at different levels into one.

anyway, I find all the lighting and image processing part much more what I like to experiment with, rather than actual modelling itself.

gently caress I love blender

and node based processing for images or shaders or whatever is so much more powerful than "layers" like photoshop

that or using unreal engine to create simulations. apparently you can export from ue4 and then use cycles to render it.

gently caress I also love cycles

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
mate

how

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
this dude fucks

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Synthbuttrange posted:

Animated displacement, in this case I had a lumpiness displacement mod on top of subdiv to give it enough polys, then on top of that I had gradient that ramped up and down and animated across the geometry.

In the last one rather than a smooth gradient I gave it a jagged sawtooth instead.

very cool my friend. very cool
indeed

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

what happens when I turn this mongrel dragon into a fluid and manipulate gravity at the same time

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lmao the changing of gravity looks cool

https://i.imgur.com/cKZQsIV.mp4
idk how to embed. imgur butchered it tho

link to the full version. 45mb lmao
https://mega.nz/embed#!KNQXmLAB!XbY3jmvub9ttf1Mz0iygf9YpJaT-a29gWoX6on58-Mg
https://mega.nz/#!KNQXmLAB!XbY3jmvub9ttf1Mz0iygf9YpJaT-a29gWoX6on58-Mg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Funddevi posted:

i'm out of practice and this took too long to bake & render but I hope you enjoy it anyway namaste

fuckin hell lol

• Locked thread