Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
It's Memorial Day in the US, so I'm watching the historical reenactments at Fort Snelling, Minnesota, then going to visit the Veterans' Cemetery.

Do you know anyone killed fighting in a war? List them here, regardless of organization, whether the British Royal Marines, US Coast Guard, or Hezbollah.

Here's my list, though there may be more people I lost track of:

Iraq

-- LCpl Suárez de Solar: stepped on a cluster bomblet in the Diwaniyah Valley during the invasion. This is the only one I saw happen personally, and he took hours to die. He was the first Mexican citizen killed in the war.

-- SSgt Molina-Bautista: was in a Light Armored vehicle that got hit by an IED on patrol in Anbar province.

-- Lt Wetherbee: killed in Anbar when his Amtrak (amphibious armored vehicle) was hit by an RPG. Weirdly enough, his previous Amtrak had also been destroyed by an RPG while he was out on foot, killing part of his crew.

-- Lt Lynch: also killed in Anbar when the Amtrak he was riding in (infantry officer) was hit by an RPG.

-- LCpl Chance Phelps: killed in Anbar with a shot to the face when his convoy was ambushed, while manning the best-fed machine gun on top of the Humvee. They no-poo poo made a Kevin Bacon film about transporting his body from Iraq back to Wyoming, called Taking Chance.

Afghanistan

-- Petty Officers McNeley and Newlove: both abducted by the Taliban and executed in Logar province while out driving in an armored SUV. Both were sailors assigned to a Kabul unit as drivers, and got caught in the wrong place at the wrong time and died hundreds of miles from the ocean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

rip vilerat

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yes. 3 friends.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
I didn't know him personally but Nick Berg is from my hometown and he really kicked off the era of viral head sawing videos

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
John "Soap" MacTavish

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Kak posted:

John "Soap" MacTavish

noice

Xtra Innings Lovin
Nov 11, 2016

Kak posted:

John "Soap" MacTavish

:rip:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
no because they're dead

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Kak posted:

John "Soap" MacTavish

F

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
just lol if you are dumb enough to volunteer for any branch of the US military

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I've experienced many casualties in the war on drugs

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i was school friends with someone who entered the army shortly after HS and was killed in the surge, and i don't remember his name, i can barely remember anyone from those days. if i didn't keep talking after HS they just fell into a blend of occasional news of deaths

he was a huge nerd and shouldn't have settled on the loving army.

another friend came back immensely hosed up, and won't talk about what happened but that's fine. he starts screaming at the army and cursing its name any chance he gets though

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

basic hitler posted:

he was a huge nerd and shouldn't have settled on the loving army.

Typically, nerds like the idea of joining the army because many of them don't feel like they fit in anywhere else and it offers the chance to start anew and away from your old social circle, assuming you had one.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I don't know anyone killed in war, but if you hum a few bars I can fake it.

Amateur Saboteur
Feb 5, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Father died in the info wars op

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I obviously didn't "know" them, but three of my great-uncles (? whatever the brothers of my grandma are called) died in WW2. Two were paratroopers, one was confirmed dead and one was MIA and never found, and the other died in France.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Amateur Saboteur posted:

Father died in the info wars op

Rip

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I've lost many friends to the meme wars. :rip:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I obviously didn't "know" them, but three of my great-uncles (? whatever the brothers of my grandma are called) died in WW2. Two were paratroopers, one was confirmed dead and one was MIA and never found, and the other died in France.

I'm glad Ryan made it home safely at least.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I like people that weren’t captured

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I sure am tired of these wars.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Chomp8645 posted:

I'm glad Ryan made it home safely at least.

it does sound like a lot for one family but they had i think 13 kids, mostly guys so it wasn't that out of the ordinary. The rest that were old enough to go made it back but they didn't send tom hanks to go get them, they just didn't die.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
I went to middle school and high school with this guy.

https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/army-sgt-joshua-a-born/6568122

We were acquaintances through other friends. The last time I saw him was at another friends going away party to the airforce. He was shipping out not long after. Not really sure of all the details but I think he died during a ambush.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/army-spc-justin-a-rollins/2610400

He was a piece of poo poo. He was rude and arrogant and when one an acquaintance of mine was diagnosed with schizophrenia, Justin would whisper "Kill yourself. Everybody hates you" and on numerous occasions reduced him to tears, just because he felt like making fun of somebody (a very nice and well-liked somebody) with a mental illness. One time at a party Justin got his rear end whipped bad and spent the next week lying about how he actually won.

Naturally, after he died in Iraq he loved by the entire town and they named a bridge after him.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Wayne Monismith. He worked for my grandma for a while and then went to Viet Nam and came home in a box.

Here's his wall profile: http://thewall-usa.com/info.asp?recid=35937

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
They fell out of a guard tower

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Isaac posted:

They fell out of a guard tower

Sorry to hear your Israeli grandfather died in Palestine.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i blew off an army recruiter around the time my friends got into it and i regretted it briefly, and got in contact with the navy and af recruiters instead, at the behest of my grandfathers and dad, who smelled poo poo in the water.

ultimately everyone in my family who served in prior generations thought enlistment was a terrible idea and it turns out they were right.

i still think about it, i'm not quite un-recruitable yet and it's not like i struggle in that environment lol

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

basic hitler posted:

i blew off an army recruiter around the time my friends got into it and i regretted it briefly, and got in contact with the navy and af recruiters instead, at the behest of my grandfathers and dad, who smelled poo poo in the water.

ultimately everyone in my family who served in prior generations thought enlistment was a terrible idea and it turns out they were right.

i still think about it, i'm not quite un-recruitable yet and it's not like i struggle in that environment lol

What!?!
How could you be part of such evil?
:vince:

Oh and :d2a:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Spinster posted:

What!?!
How could you be part of such evil?
:vince:

Oh and :d2a:

Economic need + the kind of personality i have friend.

i like america honestly, i just want it to be better than what it is.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
:d2a:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so many lost, to the console war

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
my friend Anakin went MIA in the clone wars

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

Yes. Most people have a connection to one or more persons who have died in war.

client
Aug 19, 2010

my uncle was killed in the war on christmas

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I like to get freaking annihilated in the war on drugs if that counts

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

PFC Murray

PFC Knott

CPL Zayas

SGT Weir

PFC Thomas

CPT Dalessio

LT Brown

Though, weirdly, I have lost more friends to suicide than combat in the years since

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Compared to seven combat losses, I only know one (civilian) suicide, one military colleague killed in a training accident (pilot), and two military colleagues both killed when their bicycles were hit by drunk drivers.

Oh, and my former first sergeant retired, and since he was airborne qualified he went to work for a skydiving company. A couple months in his chute failed and he hit the ground, so either a terrible accident or a subtle suicide.

So of all my friends and colleagues around my age, seven combat deaths and 5 non-combat.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

basic hitler posted:

Economic need + the kind of personality i have friend.

i like america honestly, i just want it to be better than what it is.

liking america and actively assisting in implementing its lovely foreign policy don't need to overlap.

what's the most recent war an american combatant could have engaged in and honestly be able to claim it was morally justified or done with (at the time) informed and good intention? WW2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

given my skillsets and preference for the, uh, rearguard i'd probably be shuffled into some boring rear end cog job with reliable pay, where i'm fundamentally causing no worse harm than some private businesses i could work for locally, who are doing way more harm internationally atm lol

• Locked thread