Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

So of all my friends and colleagues around my age, seven combat deaths and 5 non-combat.

Did a gypsy curse you or something, poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?
Yes but they were killed by US soldiers, lol.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Torquemada posted:

I believe the preferred nomenclature these days is "Romani".

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
Every American who has died in any war wince WWII deserved it for going instead of deserting like an honorable person. All dead American troops suck dicks in hell :coolfish:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Vato posted:

Yes. Most people have a connection to one or more persons who have died in war.

I can't think of any in my circle. Just cancer.

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

Who Is Paul Blart posted:

Every American who has died in any war wince WWII deserved it for going instead of deserting like an honorable person. All dead American troops suck dicks in hell :coolfish:

Dodging the draft was/is not like not appearing for jury duty. But all right.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Shamino posted:

Yes but they were killed by US soldiers, lol.

We do have a pretty good k/d ratio.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
i knew a kid growing up who had acne and used to get in a lot of scraps over jokes, joined the army at 18 and died of a non-combat related cause in iraq, doesn't seem too hard to guess what happened there

edit

for clarity they probably let him take a ride in an f-35 lightning II is what i meant

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
i'm older now than he ever was so in a sense that makes him the younger man

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

extra stout posted:

i knew a kid growing up who had acne and used to get in a lot of scraps over jokes, joined the army at 18 and died of a non-combat related cause in iraq, doesn't seem too hard to guess what happened there

edit

for clarity they probably let him take a ride in an f-35 lightning II is what i meant

Though suicide is probably the single best non-combat guess, vehicle accidents are up there. Plus we lost several guys in Iraq to a nasty run of "visceral leishmaniasis" of all things.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

basic hitler posted:

i like america honestly, i just want it to be better than what it is.

These days thats done by not joining the military iirc

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i knew a few people who perished in the Second Battle of Krusty Grill.

:rip:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Chinatown posted:

i knew a few people who perished in the Second Battle of Krusty Grill.

:rip:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
John Birch. Them commies killed him.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

my family are wasps, so nope

e: i guess my great grandfathers brother died in ww1 but lmao

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah a few people but they're dead now

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Former DILF posted:

my family are wasps, so nope

e: i guess my great grandfathers brother died in ww1 but lmao

WASPs used to be big in the military; Harvard alums have won more Medals of Honor that any college outside the service academies.

But then we went to a volunteer military and it became an inherited cultural/regional caste, so since 9/11 Harvard has had like 150 alums in either Iraq or Afghanistan.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

yeah i have met family members who were in ww2 korea and vietnam but not a single one was harmed

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I do but it'd probably bother me to type a serious response to an audience that mostly thinks anyone in the military should suck cocks in hell, etc

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

i believe servicemen deserve just about as much respect as any other rube

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Suck my dick vets but thanks for the paid day off work

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I didn't know them per se but a whole bunch of Iraqi guys being retards during assaults.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
My great uncle Seward Kazmark was killed in WWII on the Damortis-Rosario road on Luzon. He was a member of the 158th Infantry Regiment (Bushmasters) regimental combat team. They suffered very heavy casualties while they were tasked to take two 30mm Howitzers that were shelling the crap out of ground forces.
He was killed while acting as a stretcher bearer. He received a Bronze Star for his actions. He was buried in Manila. My great grandmother apparently decided that he'd be happier buried with his friends. I wish I could have met him. My grandmother lived until 2014.

Everyone else killed in my family killed in war were irregulars or non-combatants from WWII through the Balkan wars. They most likely have no marked graves. That's the Balkans though. What can you do.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I went to a large inner-city public school that had three recruitment centers in its basement so yes.

kommisar
Jan 2, 2007

while technically still alive, my father has been dead inside since the cola wars

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Quite a few people actually. Goddamn, my hometown had no jobs.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
They gave the bronze to admin guys doing a successful tour making sure your pay was correct in 03-09.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

King of Bees posted:

They gave the bronze to admin guys doing a successful tour making sure your pay was correct in 03-09.

Response to mostlygray

client
Aug 19, 2010

my unborn son, an infantryman for popeyes in the franchise wars

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I will fight to the death for Taco Bell.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I will fight to the death for Taco Bell.

the only thing Im keeping for the apocalypse in terms of culture is Demolition Man and a Taco Bell menu & recipes, its in my bug out bag

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Yeah, all the dude's I've owned in Call of Duty 4.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

I didn't know him personally, but Matt Maupin went to my high school. I remember visiting my parents and the high school held a candle light rally with all of these banners and flyers that said "lighting the way home" and such. I believe they found his remains shortly thereafter.

:cmon:

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
does it make a difference if the war is moral or not? asking for a friend

Grace bought it in a minefield, on the way to the gold heist behind enemy lines
they lost two other guys there too, but I don't remember their names.
Oddball lost two of the three Shermans from his group, and presumably the crews as well. The German casualties were not insignificant, and Don Rickles fell into an outhouse pit.

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.

Torquemada posted:

yes he ran over a small child and their grandmother pointed at him and whispered "shorter...."

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

basic hitler posted:

i was school friends with someone who entered the army shortly after HS and was killed in the surge

RIP to your friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTY8hrvFck8

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

all the ancestors/relatives that i had who died in war did so before i was born but i'm proud of the blood they shed for marxist revolution viva cuba

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I don't know any dead people, which I suppose is a failing on my part

• Locked thread