Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

General Dog posted:

I don't know any dead people, which I suppose is a failing on my part

the upside of not having any rl friends i envy you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
How many of the original Dirty Dozen made it back? I'm pretty sure Lee Marvin and Charles Bronson. Then there was at least one other guy maybe two I guess I could check IMDB dot com

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

General Dog posted:

I don't know any dead people, which I suppose is a failing on my part

Never too late to start!

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

a dude I went to high school with got gunned down in one of those sorta-russian countries, like khazakstan or whatever. he was either gonna do jihad in afghanistan... but most likely trade guns for opium. either way, he dead. guess that's sorta like war, maybe?

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
I briefly knew a guy in high school that went to Iraq. He was a grade ahead of me. He was a nice dude and talented. A street was named for him after he passed.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
not that I'm aware of

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Both my grandfathers fought Russia in the Continuation War, and one of them got grenade shrapnel in the face. He lived through that though dying much later for other reasons.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

My cousin died in an ied ambush when those were all the rage, and when they brought his body for the funeral a lot of higher ranked people showed up and really wanted to publicize the fact that all our cousins were in different branches of the military.

They made sure a cousin from each branch carried the casket and that the local news was there. It was all this propaganda on the news and everything, it's not like we're in a small town or anything either, it's goddamn New York City.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
You know that part in Starship Troopers (the movie) when the bug lightning starts blowing up the ships in orbit, and then one ship goes out of control and smashes into another one, destroying both? Well my uncle was the captain of the second ship.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

*furiously clicks "i wish to know more"*

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
i played metal gear solid

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Here's the news article for when those two coworkers were kidnapped by the Taliban:

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/26/world/asia/26afghan.html

It was pretty freaky since for a day or so they were just completely missing with no clue where they'd gone. We had this happen a handful of times in Iraq, but other than Bergdahl (the guy who was a POW for years) it was almost unheard of in Afghanistan.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
My forefathers fought in wars and enslaved hundreds of thousands but they didn't die because they were good WARRIORS.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

You know who wasn't killed fighting in a war?

Caro.

hopefully this hasn't been posted yet, I didn't read the thread

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe
I knew Richard Gillespie. He was a couple of years older than me then. Obviously not now, because he’s dead but he was 19.

Killed by the brave, skilled defenders of our freedom the USAF.

They did for 8 other UK lives at the same time.

He was a nice bloke. God bless America.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

King of Bees posted:

They gave the bronze to admin guys doing a successful tour making sure your pay was correct in 03-09.

It’s America. You give people medals for getting shot.

Other countries decide not to to reward failure.

After a bit of googling- the US even gives a medal for being taken prisoner.

I’m waiting for the US to award the standing up straight and breathing medal.

General China fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 29, 2018

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

General China posted:

I thought the GI Bill was already a thing.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

General China posted:

It’s America. You give people medals for getting shot.

Other countries decide not to to reward failure.

After a bit of googling- the US even gives a medal for being taken prisoner.

So what medals do you have? I got mine for working out of my home :smuggo:

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

a peck of pickled peckers posted:

I thought the GI Bill was already a thing.

But why is US society so militaristic at the same time as it’s military are so bad at their role?

The US armed forces have never won a war on their own.

They get their arses kicked in third world countries time and time again.

Yet their society worships them.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

If you count PTSD then yeah my grandfather shot himself twenty years after WW2 because he finally realized he'd never get the memories out of his head.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

flick my Mr. Bean posted:

If you count PTSD then yeah my grandfather shot himself twenty years after WW2 because he finally realized he'd never get the memories out of his head.

You’re quite old to be posting here.

If you knew him you’d have to be in your 60s or 70s.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Joke's on him, right? Right? RIGHT?

I assume he shot himself in the head.

Anyway, here's my take.

If you want to lose a few pounds, don't work at a pizza joint.
If you want to avoid people, don't work customer service.
If you don't want to go somewhere and get shot at, don't go into the military.

There's a Louis CK skit in there I'm trying to recall.

"But maybe" was the name, and it made sense to me.

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.

General China posted:

You’re quite old to be posting here.

If you knew him you’d have to be in your 60s or 70s.

He said grandfather not father dingus.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

morally adept posted:

He said grandfather not father dingus.

Thanks for your comment you window licker.

If he knew him, as what the whole thread is about, he would still have to be in his 60s or 70s.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

General China posted:

If he knew him, as what the whole thread is about, he would still have to be in his 60s or 70s.

To clarify- to know some one. We’ve met. Held hands. Spoken to each other.

We knew each other.

To know of some one- I’ve heard of Winston Churchill and I think he’s a bit of a oval office.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

General China posted:

My grandfather was in WWII, I knew him, he passed in 2010. I am in my thirties.
ed
Oh, wait, I get you. 20 years after the war. Nevermind.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

General China posted:

But why is US society so militaristic at the same time as it’s military are so bad at their role?

The US armed forces have never won a war on their own.

They get their arses kicked in third world countries time and time again.

Yet their society worships them.

UK and France have done bang-up jobs fighting world wars on their own? The only reason that Brits aren't speaking German these days is because Hitler decided to double-cross Stalin.

We suck at doing counter insurgencies (most countries do), but we're really strong on just going places and loving poo poo up. Sunni insurgents holing up in Fallujah was like the Marine wet-dream: instead of trying to suss out who's on your side or not, you just have a full city that's game-on.

The Brits have done passing okay at counter-insurgencies mostly because they've been *way* more open to committing war crimes like in Malaysia, South Africa, and Kenya. Brits invented the whole "concentration camp" thing. US would've had a much easier time in Iraq and Afghanistan if we could just incarcerate large chunks of the nation, but though we did some of that in the 1800s (mainly the Philippines and a bunch of American Indians) that's gone out of style.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

UK and France have done bang-up jobs fighting world wars on their own? The only reason that Brits aren't speaking German these days is because Hitler decided to double-cross Stalin.

We suck at doing counter insurgencies (most countries do), but we're really strong on just going places and loving poo poo up. Sunni insurgents holing up in Fallujah was like the Marine wet-dream: instead of trying to suss out who's on your side or not, you just have a full city that's game-on.

The Brits have done passing okay at counter-insurgencies mostly because they've been *way* more open to committing war crimes like in Malaysia, South Africa, and Kenya. Brits invented the whole "concentration camp" thing. US would've had a much easier time in Iraq and Afghanistan if we could just incarcerate large chunks of the nation, but though we did some of that in the 1800s (mainly the Philippines and a bunch of American Indians) that's gone out of style.

I think you will find the first concentration camps were in the US in 1838.

And tell me about a war the US has won on its own?

Even the UK has the Falklands.

So I’ll repeat my question- why does the US society have such a hard on for its military?

A bunch of rice farmers in south east Asia have kicked your arses so hard you seem to have invented a new psychological condition for loosing a war.

General China fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 29, 2018

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
no because i don't make friends with anyone retarded enough to join the military

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
We had a weapons loader from my (Air Force) squadron die in an IED attack in Afghanistan while he was deployed for TCN duty. Which is just keeping an eye on the locals they hire to work at the base. He volunteered to go on convoy duty because was tired of not being “outside the wire” so to speak. The next day one our B-1’s was patrolling for guys setting IEDs and found two guys about half a click from where duder bought it and dropped the jets full load of 28 2000 lb JDAMs on these two guys.

Sometimes I guess pilots do care about maintainers?

Healthy Nut Snack
Mar 23, 2016
Cpl. Jane Kelly died in Newfoundland during a Chrysalid ambush.

:rip:

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
just pepe

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Healthy Nut Snack posted:

Cpl. Jane Kelly died in Newfoundland during a Chrysalid ambush.

:rip:

jane was martyred, which is a lil different from regular dead

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

General China posted:

I didn’t know him but he also didn’t actually die fighting so I’m doubly in the wrong thread anyway.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

I didn’t know him but he also didn’t actually die fighting so I’m doubly in the wrong thread anyway.

I recently moved to a new town in the UK. Every town and village in the UK has a war memorial to the two world wars. The town I live in insists that WW1 lasted from 1914 to 1919.

I thought- what the gently caress? And why?

I asked around. Technically it’s true- they only signed the armistice in 1918, Peace was not declared till 1919.

But the real reason was they wanted to put all the soldiers names on the memorial. The regiment from round here saw heavy action in the closing stages of the war. Lots of really hosed up wounded blokes who took a few months to die. But they died in hospital after November the 11th.

So they changed the date so they could put the names on the memorial for the families.

I like that.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
That's nice.

What depresses me about village memorials is where you see 5-10 men with the same last name and you realize that some close-knit family lost every male in it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
nope. My maternal grandpa was on fuel tanker in korea and his dad may have fought for the russians in ww1. no idea about my dads side. my home town has a lovely memorial for dude who died in iraq in 2006 who was releated(i think) to one of the families that run a pet store in town.

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

spog posted:

That's nice.

What depresses me about village memorials is where you see 5-10 men with the same last name and you realize that some close-knit family lost every male in it.

You also get Thankful Villages where all the men came home alive from WW1 in a civil parish. . Probably wounded and certainly hosed up to a greater or lesser extent, but alive.

There were 53. Out of over ten thousand civil parishes.

Then you get the Doubly Thankful Villages. Where all the men lived from Ww1 and 2. Might have been wounded, but lived.

General China fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 1, 2018

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Those kind of statistics hit me right in the gut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

Biggest Meltdowner posted:

Those kind of statistics hit me right in the gut.

They disgust me. The UK has been in permanent conflict since 1914.

Not one year has passed since then that our armed forces have not been killing people.

• Locked thread