Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Every vet is killed by war. Whether or not they died in war is secondary.

My father fought in Vietnam against his own morals and came back so horribly broken that he drank himself to death to cope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

There's that quote attributed to Plato: "only the dead have seen the end of war."

That said, apparently actual Plato scholars say they've never seen that quote. Apparently the earliest attestation is George Santayana in 1926. But that's the same guy with the line "those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" so he was pretty on the ball.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Teikanmi posted:

no because i don't make friends with anyone retarded enough to join the military

Like it says in the OP, anyone in a war counts, it's not just USmil. Lol if you don't know anyone who got killed serving in the IRA, FARC, or Congolese MLC.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
did u ever kill anyone in the war OP? or any other goons? I want to know

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Nooner posted:

Does artillery count?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

the last official war for the usa was ww2, so im gonna hazard a no here op

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
my great great grandfather died fighting in the trenches of world war 1. lucky for me he had some kids before he left

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.

General China posted:

Thanks for your comment you window licker.

If he knew him, as what the whole thread is about, he would still have to be in his 60s or 70s.

Yep I some how missed the the whole 20 years later thing, my bad :downs:.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Rutibex posted:

my great great grandfather died fighting in the trenches of world war 1. lucky for me he had some kids before he left

Unfortunate for everyone else though.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Yes. Someone in the grade above me, who I went to school with for about a decade, was killed in Afghanistan. He was a combat medic.

Unfortunately the small town that I am from responded to this by doubling down on unquestioning support for the military and everything that they do. How his death didn't show them the absolute futility of the war I have no idea. He could still be alive today if we didn't keep sending people to die in that pointless quagmire for no reason.

gently caress

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I lost loving NINETEEN friends in one engagement.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vato posted:

Dodging the draft was/is not like not appearing for jury duty. But all right.

No need to dodge. Just go all who gives a gently caress, drive a truck. poo poo birds get the easy jobs anyways.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Nobody killed but a friend I've known since grade school ditched the arts (he could have been a pretty good horn player) and joined the US Marines straight out of highschool. He was already mentally unstable and clearly he went off to Iraq for all the wrong reasons, and he was shot in the chest during s firefight. His SAPI plate saved his life but the bullet fragments tore his biceps up and he couldn't go back. He gave me some of his old gear and something of an armchair interest in the USMC, but man he said some hosed up things about killing kids and it might have been better if he had never come back. Extra weird twist: we're Canadian.

My best-friend-turned-worst-enemy joined the CF recently, and I sometimes wish for a war or something because I hope he gets blown to bits.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Not death but my late father in-law and his siblings/parents were war refugees.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

other people posted:

just lol if you are dumb enough to volunteer for any branch of the US military

die for your country abroad or be forgotten in the gutter back home its the american way!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

clone on the phone posted:

die for your country abroad and/or be forgotten in the gutter back home its the american way!

felinelvr
Mar 8, 2007

My grandfather WWII, my fiancé due to issues from fighting in Vietnam. And RIP Vilerat.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I was in the war so yea, a few. A bunch of guys I was in the invasion of Iraq with volunteered to go again and went to Fallujah and never came back. I remember all my friends I lost better than the friends that are still alive. I hate war.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Shamino posted:

Yes but they were killed by US soldiers, lol.

ptsd fuelled suicide because your gay dumb oval office of a country has gently caress all mental health support still counts, friend

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Nooner posted:

Yea, it sucks.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The closest story I have is my grandfather's brother in WW2 that I never met. He was flying a lot of night bombing missions as the bombardier, and the pilot's controls got flipped or weren't working from damage and they landed upside down and the whole crew died.

I did work with a guy who was working there temporarily because he took two rounds in the shoulder and arm in Afghanistan (I think it was there) ambush, though. We always used to freely admit that he could have probably wiped out the entire department of frail computer nerds in like 30 seconds bare handed if he wanted to, nice guy but tough as nails. He ultimately got re-qualified and went back into the military once his shoulder fully healed.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Grem posted:

I was in the war so yea, a few. A bunch of guys I was in the invasion of Iraq with volunteered to go again and went to Fallujah and never came back. I remember all my friends I lost better than the friends that are still alive. I hate war.

drat man, I'm sorry.

gently caress Fallujah. That place is like a meat grinder of sheer horror. Every time the really really bad stuff goes down, it seems to be Fallujah.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
A guy I went to high school with died in Afghanistan at 22 last year or so. Up until just recently his latest Facebook post still said he's getting deployed and to wish him luck overseas.

He was killed by friendly fire.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

My brother who served in the Coast Guard in the War on Drugs isn't dead yet and I kinda doubt he will die because of it.

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
Every dead American soldier is now having unwanted gay sex in hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high
We're all getting killed in the war on Christmas if you think about it

• Locked thread