Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
BELGIUM AT THE WORLD CUP THREAD is generously brought to you by

BELGIUM, the official beer of the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH_VHyW_oVk

After disappointing in the world cup in Brasil in 2014 and the European cup in France in 2016, Belgium’s most talented generation ever will definitely show what they’re worth and win this little tournament called 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™. Totally. For real guys!

Roberto Martinez, the coach, decided that the best way to really get the fans behind the team is to not select the most colorful Red Devil there is, Radja ‘Il Ninja’ Nainggolan. Despite being really cool and good, Martinez claimed Nainggolan wasn’t selected for tactical reasons.
The real reason is that Roberto ‘lame’ Martinez has personal problems with cool guy Nainggolan. Claming he isn’t professional enough and that he’s a bad example for kids, because he smokes.

Nainggolan promptly retired as a player for the national team and the Belgian FA gave Martinez a 2-year extension to his contract. They also had to issue several statements, asking the fans to stop criticizing the coach and have faith in his selection.:waycool:

Let’s take a look at the selection:

• Keepers (4):
Koen Casteels (Wolfsburg/Ger), Thibaut Courtois (Chelsea/Eng), Simon Mignolet (Liverpool/Eng), Matz Sels (Newcastle United/Eng, on loan at RSC Anderlecht/Bel)

• Defenders (9):
Toby Alderweireld (Tottenham Hotspur/Eng), Dedryck Boyata (Celtic/Sco), Laurent Ciman (Los Angeles FC/USA), Leander Dendoncker (RSC Anderlecht/Bel), Christian Kabasele (Watford/Eng), Vincent Kompany (Manchester City/Eng), Jordan Lukaku (Lazio/Ita), Thomas Vermaelen (FC Barcelona/Spa), Jan Vertonghen (Tottenham Hotspur/Eng)

• Midfielders (9):
Yannick Carrasco (Dalian Yinfang/Chn), Nacer Chadli (West Bromwich Albion/Eng), Kevin De Bruyne (Manchester City/Eng), Mousa Dembélé (Tottenham Hotspur/Eng), Marouane Fellaini (Manchester United/Eng), Adnan Januzaj (Real Sociedad/Spa), Thomas Meunier (Paris Saint-Germain/Fra), Youri Tielemans (AS Monaco/Fra), Axel Witsel (Tianjin Quanjian/Chn)

• Attackers (6):
Michy Batshuayi (Chelsea/Eng, on loan at Borussia Dortmund/Ger), Christian Benteke (Crystal Palace/Eng), Eden Hazard (Chelsea/Eng), Thorgan Hazard (Borussia Mönchengladbach/Ger), Romelu Lukaku (Manchester United/Eng), Dries Mertens (Napoli/Ita)

There are 28 names here, so 5 of these players won’t make the final squad. We’ll know for sure on Monday.
But looking at it, I’m thinking Januzaj, Sels, Benteke, Chadli and maybe Vermaelen or Jordan Lukaku (they’re injured at the moment).

EDIT: turns out I was 3/5ths right, this is
:siren:THE (ALMOST)DEFINITIVE SQUAD LIST :siren:

Some cool little facts about this selection:
• there are 2 pair of brothers in there, the Hazard and Lukaku brothers
• Romelu Lukaku became the all-time topscorer for the national team last year, he's still only 24 years old
• Axel Witsel isn't capable of a forward pass, yet keeps being selected for the team
• Januzaj hasn't played a minute in the qualifiers yet he's also in the selction
• Radja Nainggolan has a sister called Reanna Nainggolan
• these facts aren't cool at all

Belgium was put in goup G with noted power houses Panama and Tunisia. There’s a silver lining though, as England is the 4th club in group G.

Anyway, what do you think of the mighty Red Devils and their chances to win the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™?

shut up blegum fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i assume that since wilmots isn't there instead of playing alderweireld and vertonghen as full backs they'll actually be good as centre backs

otoh they're being managed by roberto martinez

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
This team is loving stacked and should easily win their group and go far, but they wont, is my prediction.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

shut up blegum posted:

Will these Red Devils actually do something in Europe?

no

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I think in classic Belgian fashion the collection of supremely talented individuals will fail to gel as a team and will poo poo their way to a quarterfinal exit

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
I was there when a Roberto Martinez team conceded nine goals in one game. I'm not sure even Vertonghen and Alderweireld can counteract that level of managerial crapulence.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
I am glad another country is learning the curse of a golden generation.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

i cant wait for the 'red devils' belgium 'the devils' to win the fifa 'world cup'

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Gigi Galli posted:

This team is loving stacked and should easily win their group and go far, but they wont, is my prediction.

vyelkin posted:

I think in classic Belgian fashion the collection of supremely talented individuals will fail to gel as a team and will poo poo their way to a quarterfinal exit

This is the Belgian way :agreed:

There are a bunch of meaningless friendlies planned next week, I'm curious about the lineup and how they will play there though. Tomorrow we play against Portugal, and then next week against Egypt and Costa Rica if I'm not mistaken.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

the belge squad is so stacked down the middle but theyve got virtually no good wide players, especially fullbacks. its weird. why

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Lol this is the worst sponsor. Jupiler literally changed their name to Belgium for the world cup.
Also vanhool is mostly known for their buses I think?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
blegum

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
are there any players from the anale driehoek op?

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
all over the uk, offices everywhere, every 2 years, people talking about football

arsehole chimes in, "hey you know who my dark horse is for the world cup/euros"

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

shut up blegum posted:

Lol this is the worst sponsor. Jupiler literally changed their name to Belgium for the world cup.
Also vanhool is mostly known for their buses I think?

You can change it!

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Farm Frites was the best Belge sports sponsor imo

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

kcer posted:

all over the uk, offices everywhere, every 2 years, people talking about football

Lukaku?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

kcer posted:

Croatia?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

can't even beat ronald-less portugal, still frauds

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
kompanys krocked himself again :(

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
VanHool make trailers, not trucks!

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Gigi Galli posted:

Much like France, on paper they easily have a team that could win the whole drat thing

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

track day bro! posted:

VanHool make trailers, not trucks!

Thanks for the trailer update, truck day bro

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/dpcoverdale/status/1003554821880844288

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Yeah, came here to post this,
:siren:THE (ALMOST)DEFINITIVE SQUAD LIST :siren:

I'd have taken Benteke over Dendoncker or Tielemans but w/e.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Much like France, on paper they easily have a team that could win the whole drat thing

But football games aren't played on paper :v:

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i've decided to cast my lot with Belgium

are they going to run 3 at the back because as far as I can tell they don't have a left back

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

The Jazzy-jazz-man going to another World Cup.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I updated the sponsor. Belgium.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Belgians use the word 'poepen' for loving, but it actually means 'making GBS threads'. This should tell you enough.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

oliwan posted:

Belgians use the word 'poepen' for loving, but it actually means 'making GBS threads'. This should tell you enough.

Never got over the German occupation huh

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001

oliwan posted:

we eat rear end in HFF

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

loving Chadli and Witsel over Origi and Nainngolan ffs

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
I hope proven frauds belgium score nonegolan at the 2018 world cup

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Isn't taht just Jupiler

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Grillfiend posted:

Was Origi good this year in Germany?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

track day bro! posted:

Isn't taht just Jupiler

It is. But get this, they've changed their name to Belgium to get everyone hyped up for the world cup!!
They're gonna change it back to jupiler after the summer I think.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
I hope not so we can have the Belgian Belgium Pro League next season.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Grillfiend posted:

vyelkin posted:

Was Origi good this year in Germany?

I know Wolfsburg weren't great, but he only scored six league goals in 31 appearances. He did score and make some pretty contributions during the relegation playoff, though.

Origi should have stayed at Liverpool. His agent reportedly admitted that the loan was a mistake.

https://liverpooloffside.sbnation.c...-turkey-belgium

Anyway, it doesn't sound like he showed enough to merit a call-up. The guy was always a bit streaky and the timing didn't work for him.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

never forget: they picked Witsel and Januzaj over Radja Nainggolan for this WC, and Big Raj was correct in his decision to retire from international football as a result

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Troy Queef posted:

never forget: they picked Witsel and Januzaj over Radja Nainggolan for this WC, and Big Raj was correct in his decision to retire from international football as a result

Roberto Martinez won a FA Cup and knows more about football than anyone else.

• Locked thread