Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
BELGIUM AT THE WORLD CUP THREAD is generously brought to you by

BELGIUM, the official beer of the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH_VHyW_oVk

After disappointing in the world cup in Brasil in 2014 and the European cup in France in 2016, Belgium’s most talented generation ever will definitely show what they’re worth and win this little tournament called 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™. Totally. For real guys!

Roberto Martinez, the coach, decided that the best way to really get the fans behind the team is to not select the most colorful Red Devil there is, Radja ‘Il Ninja’ Nainggolan. Despite being really cool and good, Martinez claimed Nainggolan wasn’t selected for tactical reasons.
The real reason is that Roberto ‘lame’ Martinez has personal problems with cool guy Nainggolan. Claming he isn’t professional enough and that he’s a bad example for kids, because he smokes.

Nainggolan promptly retired as a player for the national team and the Belgian FA gave Martinez a 2-year extension to his contract. They also had to issue several statements, asking the fans to stop criticizing the coach and have faith in his selection.:waycool:

Let’s take a look at the selection:

• Keepers (4):
Koen Casteels (Wolfsburg/Ger), Thibaut Courtois (Chelsea/Eng), Simon Mignolet (Liverpool/Eng), Matz Sels (Newcastle United/Eng, on loan at RSC Anderlecht/Bel)

• Defenders (9):
Toby Alderweireld (Tottenham Hotspur/Eng), Dedryck Boyata (Celtic/Sco), Laurent Ciman (Los Angeles FC/USA), Leander Dendoncker (RSC Anderlecht/Bel), Christian Kabasele (Watford/Eng), Vincent Kompany (Manchester City/Eng), Jordan Lukaku (Lazio/Ita), Thomas Vermaelen (FC Barcelona/Spa), Jan Vertonghen (Tottenham Hotspur/Eng)

• Midfielders (9):
Yannick Carrasco (Dalian Yinfang/Chn), Nacer Chadli (West Bromwich Albion/Eng), Kevin De Bruyne (Manchester City/Eng), Mousa Dembélé (Tottenham Hotspur/Eng), Marouane Fellaini (Manchester United/Eng), Adnan Januzaj (Real Sociedad/Spa), Thomas Meunier (Paris Saint-Germain/Fra), Youri Tielemans (AS Monaco/Fra), Axel Witsel (Tianjin Quanjian/Chn)

• Attackers (6):
Michy Batshuayi (Chelsea/Eng, on loan at Borussia Dortmund/Ger), Christian Benteke (Crystal Palace/Eng), Eden Hazard (Chelsea/Eng), Thorgan Hazard (Borussia Mönchengladbach/Ger), Romelu Lukaku (Manchester United/Eng), Dries Mertens (Napoli/Ita)

There are 28 names here, so 5 of these players won’t make the final squad. We’ll know for sure on Monday.
But looking at it, I’m thinking Januzaj, Sels, Benteke, Chadli and maybe Vermaelen or Jordan Lukaku (they’re injured at the moment).

EDIT: turns out I was 3/5ths right, this is
:siren:THE (ALMOST)DEFINITIVE SQUAD LIST :siren:

Some cool little facts about this selection:
• there are 2 pair of brothers in there, the Hazard and Lukaku brothers
• Romelu Lukaku became the all-time topscorer for the national team last year, he's still only 24 years old
• Axel Witsel isn't capable of a forward pass, yet keeps being selected for the team
• Januzaj hasn't played a minute in the qualifiers yet he's also in the selction
• Radja Nainggolan has a sister called Reanna Nainggolan
• these facts aren't cool at all

Belgium was put in goup G with noted power houses Panama and Tunisia. There’s a silver lining though, as England is the 4th club in group G.

Anyway, what do you think of the mighty Red Devils and their chances to win the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™?

shut up blegum fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Gigi Galli posted:

This team is loving stacked and should easily win their group and go far, but they wont, is my prediction.

vyelkin posted:

I think in classic Belgian fashion the collection of supremely talented individuals will fail to gel as a team and will poo poo their way to a quarterfinal exit

This is the Belgian way :agreed:

There are a bunch of meaningless friendlies planned next week, I'm curious about the lineup and how they will play there though. Tomorrow we play against Portugal, and then next week against Egypt and Costa Rica if I'm not mistaken.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Lol this is the worst sponsor. Jupiler literally changed their name to Belgium for the world cup.
Also vanhool is mostly known for their buses I think?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

kcer posted:

all over the uk, offices everywhere, every 2 years, people talking about football

arsehole chimes in, "hey you know who my dark horse is for the world cup/euros"

Lukaku?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Yeah, came here to post this,
:siren:THE (ALMOST)DEFINITIVE SQUAD LIST :siren:

I'd have taken Benteke over Dendoncker or Tielemans but w/e.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Much like France, on paper they easily have a team that could win the whole drat thing

But football games aren't played on paper :v:

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I updated the sponsor. Belgium.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

track day bro! posted:

Isn't taht just Jupiler

It is. But get this, they've changed their name to Belgium to get everyone hyped up for the world cup!!
They're gonna change it back to jupiler after the summer I think.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Troy Queef posted:

never forget: they picked Witsel and Januzaj over Radja Nainggolan for this WC, and Big Raj was correct in his decision to retire from international football as a result

Brony Car posted:

Roberto Martinez won a FA Cup and knows more about football than anyone else.

Anyway, Belgium - Egypt just started. Let's see how we do!!

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
There's a friendly vs Costa Rica on right now. We're playing really good, cool and beautiful attacking football. We already made an error in defense though, it's 2-1 at halftime.
Hazard and Mertens are looking great, bring on the world cup!

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Simone Poodoin posted:

We were looking really bad in defense, Oviedo was being killed on the left side. Keylor had some sick saves though and Bryan's goal was pretty nice.

:agreed:

3-1 now, Lukaku is hungry.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
4-1:woop:
Why don't they always play like this, god drat

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Is Kompany unkrocked?

I guess? He didn't play last night but he said he'll be fit before the first match. And that's against Panama, so we don't really need him. I think it will be officially decided on Friday?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Ciman is back home. That means Martinez and the staff think that Vermalen and Kompany will get fit in time. They'll both miss the first match though, but seeing as that's only against Panama it shouldn't matter.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

belgend posted:

extremely happy

:agreed:

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Shrapnig posted:

It's cool that the Jazz Man has scored as many World Cup goals as Wayne Rooney.

He was on double Rooney wages for a reason op

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
gently caress Brasil! Yay!

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I'm extremely happy. We defended too much in the second half, but we won in the end, so who cares? We can totally beat France, and if we do, we're in the loving ginzl
Aaaaaaahhh

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Elliptical Dick posted:

Ah yes the ginzl. Love it.

It's pronounced 'final' :colbert:

I was drunk okay

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Walh Hara posted:

So, who's going to replace Meunier?

WIll France be missing any players due to suspension?

Two options I've heard: play Chadli on the right and Carrasco on the left again. Chadli was very good on the left though, and Carrasco wasn't very good so eh.
Another option was to play with 4 at the back and then Vermaelen would replace him.

I guess we'll see tomorrow? Martinez managed to surprise everyone with his lineup Friday, so I hope he does it again tomorrow.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

bewbies posted:

here's my hope

Hazard/Lukaku/Mertens
KDB
Felliaini/Witsel
Vermaelen/Vertonghen/Kompany/Alderweireld

four centerbacks is better than three, right

I'd play with a keeper but that looks pretty good imo

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Tuesday I thought the third place game was dumb and for idiots, and I still think it's dumb but now I want to win it. gently caress England.

• Locked thread